• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PS4 does not require an internet connection. Ever. Seriously. Listen. Read.

Amir0x

Banned
Sony on Always Online:

[url=http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2013/05/24/navegante/1369378180.html]Mark Cerny[/url] said:
Q: Is the PS4 console is designed to be connected in a 'permanent' way? What I'm asking is it will need to be connected all the time? And if so, how will this affect plans for PSN?

A: PlayStation 4 is not a permanent connection system in that sense, but the experience is much richer if you are connected. You will have access to digital content and the updates for your games, along with a wide range of social functions: upload videos and screenshots, see your friends play and interact with them in various ways within the games.

[url=http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/03/20/michael-denny/]Michael Denny[/url] said:
So I think two of the other pillars we talked about in-terms of design were simplicity and immediacy. Even taking back a step from here, PlayStation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all. So it depends what level you want to use these feature sets at. So with ’simple’ and ’immediacy’ we want it so that everything is one button click away, for example. And ’immediacy’ takes down these barriers that can be frustrating to gamers between the player getting access to the content.

Game Informer said:
Q: GI- Rumor claims that Microsoft's console will require an always-online Internet connection to play games. In previous interviews, you've stated that that's not the case with PS4. Did you ever consider an always-online connection for the PS4, and if so, why did you decide against it?

Yosp: Did we consider it? No, we didn't consider it. The main reason being that many countries don't have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust internet.

[url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4]Eurogamer[/url] said:
Eurogamer: Does the console always need to be connected to the internet?

Shuhei Yoshida: You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected. The system has the low-power mode - I don't know the official term - that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita.

Eurogamer: Are all of those things optional? For people who have broadband data limits, for example? They can customise everything?

Shuhei Yoshida: Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that.
[url=http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection]Kotaku[/url] said:
More relief... At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that.
(thanks Tiemen for the final quote)

Yo guys. Ain't nothing vague about this.

Contrast with Microsoft's response on the issue so far in this topic right here.

I made this post in the Mark Cerny topic, but there still seems to be handwringing over the clarity of Sony's message, so I believe this needs illumination.

The above suggests the only scenario left is this: Either what Sony is saying is 100% true and no online connection is ever required whatsoever to use PS4, or everyone at Sony is in on the big lie.

Stay tuned to E3 for finality, but I think this OP should make a lot of people feel better!

MisterHero

They're doing it right in the sense that services will attract people to connecting. It's not a perfect solution but PS3 streaming is one example.

iNvid02

PlayStation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all.

its this one quote which shuts down all the used game drm rumors imo, i hope its true

8TKlj.gif

Amir0x

Banned
You probably should have opened with that.

Or maybe people can just read the entire OP like the rules of neoGAF say :p

Edit: Just for the record, I'm just being silly, it's an honest mistake for people to make. Doesn't bother me at all

Koren

Is there anyone reading the OP?
Edit: I'm far too slow to post here T_T

I personally welcome the fact that this topic was created to remove most of the misreading of the quotes.

Fingers crossed that it's not double talk or really twisted PR.

Thank you Amir0x.

Now I repeat, if you can go completely offline with PS4 and they said their on-disc DRM patent wouldn't be used on PS4, how would publishers try to stop used games on PS4?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
That still doesn't mean it won't blocked used games. Third parties could require their game to be registered online to play or Sony could be using the technology used in the patent they recently filled on the subject.

But it is a good start.

cjcool804

Banned
Sony on Always Online:

Yo guys. Ain't nothing vague about this.

Contrast with Microsoft's response on the issue so far in this topic right here.

I made this post in the Mark Cerny topic, but there still seems to be handwringing over the clarity of Sony's message, so I believe this needs illumination.

The above suggests the only scenario left is this: Either what Sony is saying is 100% true and no online connection is ever required whatsoever to use PS4, or everyone at Sony is in on the big lie.

Stay tuned to E3 for finality, but I think this OP should make a lot of people feel better!

And you believe them? MS shades the truth but usually you have a fair idea of where there going. Sony has a history of not delivering what they say, removing features, announcing features and game that are never released. So we'll see they do have a offline drm patent so maybe it is true.

Amir0x

Banned
Agreed. That flat out means you can play games without every connecting online. That does not appear to be the case with the XBone.

It would seem to me that the DRM would be hard to implement if no online connection is ever required. Not saying it isn't possible, just that they'd need to be a bit extra creative.

Yea, this seems to be the big question now. If Sony is being accurate here and you -NEVER- need to connect to the internet, what other options are available to them for DRM?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Who wants to read the OP when there is plenty of huhs and wuzzats to post?

That other thread is glorious by the way.

And incase some people can't make the next logical connection.

You can't have DRM on games, if you don't require a net connection before every play

Seriously, though, who is on this forum is never going to go online with the next-gen systems? You'd be throwing half or more of the next-gen value proposition away by not connecting. Games updates, DD releases, DLC, system updates. That's just the mandatory reasons to have to connect. I highly doubt that it will be so easy to avoid having to connect. Until they detail the behavior of the console without connection, I don't trust simple statements especially when those guys aren't going to be directly involved or won't be able to dictate what everyone else making games for the system are doing. And this is, of course, leaving out the F2P/Freemium games that will most certainly need a connection.

Amir0x

Banned
And you believe them? MS shades the truth but usually you have a fair idea of where there going. Sony has a history of not delivering what they say, removing features, announcing features and game that are never released. So we'll see they do have a offline drm patent so maybe it is true.

I am a skeptical person, but these statements are so razor clear I don't really know what wiggle room is left to them. The outcry would be legion if they lied this egregiously; Microsoft never claimed Xbox One wouldn't be always online (or close, anyway, like it is now), they always had the leaks hazing the system wherever they want. The May 21 reveal only confirmed the negative details.

Guys I think I got it. It doesn't require an internet connection because the PS4 is the internet connection. That's why they didn't show the console, it's actually made of ethereal matter that plays itself by 3G.

Someone call Kotaku.

Top Bottom