• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Lufia (Estpolis) will be announced soon

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think alongside Wild Arms, you could throw Golden Sun on there. The puzzles in Golden Sun literally made me look forward to running through a dungeon and that is rare.

It'd be nice to see a proper Lufia title from the old heads but I'm not holding my breath.

Tamanon

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
No they can't. Because Wild Arms sucks shit and Lufia I and II roxxor.

Your hatred is strong today. But unwarranted.

Besides, Lufia 1 was super generic RPG compared to Lufia 2.

ethelred

leroy hacker said:
I have heard in the past that the Wild Arms games have pretty good dungeon puzzles. Which one has the best? Can they compare to Lufia 2's?

I only really like the first and second Wild ARMs games. I think the series took a serious downhill turn afer that. I do think that those two games, along with Golden Sun: The Lost Age, come the closest of any RPG to recapturing the quality dungeon design of Lufia 2. It surprises me how few attempts have been made at creating that particular style of RPG, but there really haven't been too many.

speedpop said:
I think alongside Wild Arms, you could throw Golden Sun on there. The puzzles in Golden Sun literally made me look forward to running through a dungeon and that is rare.

Ah, drat, someone beat me to it.

Aru

Tamanon said:
Wild Arms 2 had some pretty good puzzles, IMO. They really were the spiritual successor to Lufia games.

What are you talking about ? The puzzles in WA2 are too simple to be considered anything but a way to change the pace of the game.
WA3 had better puzzles IIRC.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Dragona Akehi said:
Arek was a Neutral Superbeing, much like how
Erim/Lufia
is a Good Superbeing and Daos, Gades and Amon being Evil Superbeings.
I thought he was like an almighty god, but doesn't he want to rule the world or something along with the sinistrals, I recall him saying ''we''. That would make him evil in the eyes of the humans no? In any case, I'd like the story to be around him.

Teknoman

Man...dont see why every turn based RPG has to go some other route (action, real time strategy, etc.). Why not just try to build onto the turn based formula so its familiar, yet refreshing?

I'll probably retry my Lufia series play through run again sometime next Spring, not sure if I should do a thread this year though, the last two times I failed to get any interest.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
shinshero said:
That game was awesome.
hi.jpg

Acosta

Dragona Akehi said:
No they can't. Because Wild Arms sucks shit and Lufia I and II roxxor.

Woah, woah, don't put Lufia at the same level of Lufia 2. The "sequel" obliterates Lufia in any possible way.

About this one, I fear for the "block attack" but I'm ready to be surprised, maybe developers understand that 3D games in DS sucks big way and switch to sprites (yes, my name Acosta and I like dreaming awake).

Woot! Please be like the first two games and not the latter two.

I was
/am
so obsessed with Lufia II, it's not even funny. Amazing game.

Hobbun

Dragona Akehi said:
Well unless things have changed significantly, it isn't going to be a turn based RPG, and it makes me very sad.

I don't think, despite what neo is saying, that Neverland Co. is working on the game at all. I think Famitsu is wrong there.

I was about to scream for happiness when I saw this thread title and then I saw your post.

Wtf is with these companies that have to change gameplay with sequels when it already worked just fine with the original games.

Teknoman said:
Man...dont see why every turn based RPG has to go some other route (action, real time strategy, etc.). Why not just try to build onto the turn based formula so its familiar, yet refreshing?

Exactly how I feel. Get so tired of this "turn-based is viewed as archaic, so we have to change it" bullshit.

I guess it's back to waiting (hoping) for the Lufia games to hit the VC.

Shouta

Jigsaw said:
i always found wild arms the better lufia...cool enouncement nonetheless

Definitely no but Wild Arms is pretty close. It does surpass Lufia in some respects though, mostly combat and customization related to it. Golden Sun would be the other series that comes close to Lufia alongside WA like someone mentioned.

Please be a standard RPG, while I love Wild Arms XF, I don't want to take chances with Lufia.

Cheerilee

GaussTek said:
Is there a reason why Neverland wouldn't be working on this game? Do they have another project or it is something related to the franchise rights?
Neverland did all the work on the first games, but Taito owned the rights to them. But then Neverland and Taito had some sort of falling out and stopped working with each other, and Lufia games have suffered for it.

Maybe now that Square Enix owns Taito, and thus owns Lufia, Square Enix is able to work with Neverland. Or maybe enough veterans have left Neverland for Square Enix to scoop them up and form their own "classic Lufia team" without Neverland. Or maybe Square just means that they've given Taito (the original owners) permission to make another sub-par Lufia.

Whatever the case, the first two games in this series were so strong that if this game comes out in English, I'll probably have no choice but to buy it and give it a chance.

Erdrick

Back in June 1994 I went to a new videogame store in my area and took a chance on the original Lufia, seeing a used copy. It essentially was the replacement for DQV for me, since that was never coming here to NA on the SNES at that point.

I'm so glad I bought it. It just clicked with me soooo well just like DQ did. The writing/localization was one of the best at the time. The way the characters interacted was leagues above other RPG's at the time on the SNES and Genesis. The scene at the beginning with Lufia and the main character in the flower field still stands out. The music was very atmospheric and while the game even then was pretty derivative, there is something to be said for something done RIGHT. Lufia was done extremely right. Besides, at that point, what other RPG's were out? Even BoF hadn't hit yet and FFVI was 4 months or so away as well.

Eventually, when Lufia II hit NA in the summer of 1996, I got that as well, and it was pretty much the best RPG sendoff we could hope for over here all things considered at the time. DQV was STILL not coming, and hell, neither was DQVI. Plus Square and Enix's NA branches were all gone at this point anyway. I cannot stress enough how much of an improvement over the original this game was. Even with some of the glitches (Dual Blade scene in that underwater temple or whatnot? Nearly incomprehensible to navigate.) I remember at a friends home, I was at one of the lowest levels of the random dungeon when he accidentally shut off the power bar that the SNES was hooked up to.

Never made it that far since.

Great swan song for the SNES in NA, and made me forget about the PS1 at the time.

I have the other 3 portable games, but I've not invested any considerable time in them, so I can't really comment. From the sounds of it, I've not missed much.

The only problem now is... I can't find where I've got my NES and SNES games stored... I hope they were not accidentally given away or thrown out over the years... =(

For this new game... no gimmicks please. Just take what was in the 2 SNES games and build upon there. I'd love for spritework to stay as well, but being on the DS... probably polygons.

Whatever, just please be good. :D

now this is a cult favourite jRPG that needs a remake, instead of doing Lunar yet another time
theMrCravens said:
They'll probably turn this into another colorful anime RPG, with anime cutscenes.
have you played Lufia before? it is anime

entremet

I never played the Lufia games, but they always looked cooled in gaming mags. Hopefully, they'll get released on the VC.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
We've suffered enough with the GBC and GBA games. Please deliver this time. Please.
Yasunori Shiono better fucking be on staff.

kiryogi

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
Didn't know The Legend Returns was disliked so much.

I like it more than Lufia 1...

I think people might hate the random dungeons, but you really can't hate on the battle system. It's really amazing they managed that on a handheld and really, GBA doesn't deserve to mentioned. It's not even Neverland, unlike GBC, which was.

Prime Blue said:
Ooh! Selena appears in the game, so it seems to be a direct sequel to Biography Estpolis II. :)

It can't be a sequel, and "Estpolis Biogrophy II" is the soundtrack.

More likely a reimagining... because Parcelyte is apparently a Republic with a President now.

Zhengi

Optimistically hopeful that this game turns out awesome. I miss playing Lufia. Please be an awesome game like the first two.

ethelred

Well, I said way back in the beginning that I expected it to be an action RPG since Neverland doesn't do anything else anymore (sad panda face), but if the game has dungeons anywhere near as fun as Lufia 2's then it could still be a fun, albeit lesser, game. Neverland does make pretty good action RPGs.

Being a retelling of Lufia 2 seems kind of weird, though... but I have to say, I really like that design for Selan.

ethelred said:
Well, I said way back in the beginning that I expected it to be an action RPG since Neverland doesn't do anything else anymore (sad panda face), but if the game has dungeons anywhere near as fun as Lufia 2's then it could still be a fun, albeit lesser, game. Neverland does make pretty good action RPGs.

Being a retelling of Lufia 2 seems kind of weird, though... but I have to say, I really like that design for Selan.

How do you know it's a retelling of Lufia 2?

ethelred

lucablight said:
How do you know it's a retelling of Lufia 2?

It's either a prequel or a retelling, and even if it's a prequel, it's still a retelling since Guy and Selan didn't meet until the events of Lufia 2 originally and yet tada, there they are together in the scan.

It can't be a sequel for reasons that should be apparent to anyone that has played the game.

Dragona Akehi said:
and "Estpolis Biogrophy II" is the soundtrack.
Huh? The complete soundtrack box translates the series title as Biography Estpolis.

Dragona Akehi said:
It can't be a sequel. More likely a reimagining... because Parcelyte is apparently a Republic with a President now.
You're right, didn't even think of the ending for a moment although I beat the game so often...
The strange thing is: The soundtrack booklet states she was 20 years old back then, and this title has her 21 years old. So, either an alternate timeline sequel or a prequel/retelling with sloppy continuity.

How do people know that Selena and Selan are the same person? Why did they change the translation?

Knowing my luck this will probably be an awesome remake of Lufia 2 but won't ending up getting localised :(

Shouta

Prime Blue said:
Huh? The complete soundtrack box translates the series title as Biography Estpolis.

You're right, didn't even think of the ending for a moment although I beat the game so often...
The strange thing is: The soundtrack booklet states she was 20 years old back then, and this title has her 21 years old. So, either an alternate timeline sequel or a prequel/retelling with sloppy continuity.

Or she had a birthday.

Top Bottom