• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Micron Technology +10% in After Hours after they posted good results for the last quarter.

I'm +20% now, still going to hold it a bit.

Since it was my biggest single investment until yet it's quite a nice result. :)

Wanted to get your guys opinon on this.
I've been socking all my extra cash in ally for an emergency fund. I'm reaching close to 20k and am investing $500/mo in robinhood. I was thinking about moving half of that emergency fund into investments so it could earn more than 1%. I was thinking one of the Vanguard funds. Any advice?

I've been socking all my extra cash in ally for an emergency fund. I'm reaching close to 20k and am investing $500/mo in robinhood. I was thinking about moving half of that emergency fund into investments so it could earn more than 1%. I was thinking one of the Vanguard funds. Any advice?
Have a look at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749978

Take a certain amount of income as an emergency fund like you have now (I do 6 months of expenses). The rest goes into investments.

Vanguard funds are good and cheap. I am in their Total Market and S&P 500 ETFs. Depends a bit on your goals though. Is this for the very long term, or do you plan to use the money sooner? That might impact if you just throw it all in now or not.

Have a look at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749978

Take a certain amount of income as an emergency fund like you have now (I do 6 months of expenses). The rest goes into investments.

Vanguard funds are good and cheap. I am in their Total Market and S&P 500 ETFs. Depends a bit on your goals though. Is this for the very long term, or do you plan to use the money sooner? That might impact if you just throw it all in now or not.

Thanks!

This is pretty long term, as I don't really have a need for the money minus catastrophe. I'm already maxing out Roth IRA and 401k and investing in RobinHood on the side. Just wanted to put my extra money to work.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Look at I Bond Treasury direct. I did not own any myself, but the inflation one is 2.7%. You can't withdraw it within 12 months, 3 months interest penalty if withdraw less than 5 years. The interest in Federal taxable but no state tax.

There's a 10k purchase limit per SSN per year, so layer it out by buying some every 6 months so not all your money are locked at the same time.

Joe

Are there any good sources for quarterly or bi-annual sector outlooks? Because I can't find any.

Edit: Found this Q1 2017 Market Update from Fidelity and it's really informative. Thought this yearly ranking of asset performances was really interesting to look at:

edRogpG.png

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Watch out over the next two weeks, it's extremely unlikely that Trump's big infrastructure bill can go through with what happened this week, so the markets are likely to tank.

Are there any good sources for quarterly or bi-annual sector outlooks? Because I can't find any.

Edit: Found this Q1 2017 Market Update from Fidelity (.pdf) and it's really informative. Thought this yearly ranking of asset performances was really interesting to look at:

KaiDZMD.png

Sure makes it look like putting money in small cap stocks is the best thing you can do.

Sure makes it look like putting money in small cap stocks is the best thing you can do.

I don't think you understood the graph.
The top row isn't always small caps the order is colour coded to the different investment types, top row being the best performer in a given time frame.
The entire point of the table is to show how important it is to diversify and not put everything into an S&P500 ETF.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was more basing this on how its worst performance in the past 20 years was 5% in the 2008 crisis.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Fuck mam fuck, now I really regret not selling GOOG :( i know that thinking about ifs is not realistic but i am never right :(

I've taken half of my emergency fund and put it in a vanguard brokerage account. Now I need to decide whether I want to buy mutual funds or ETFs...anyone have an opinion?

Mrbob

So do you feel good or bad when you don't go full position of a stock that rises heavy.

I bought half of FIZZ position in mid 40s but not full amount. Now it's in mid 80s which is nice but I'm sort of sad I never went to full position.

ColdPizza

Banned
So do you feel good or bad when you don't go full position of a stock that rises heavy.

I bought half of FIZZ position in mid 40s but not full amount. Now it's in mid 80s which is nice but I'm sort of sad I never went to full position.

You'll second guess yourself no matter what you do. As long as you aren't losing money. What if you went full position and lost your ass on it like I did with NVAX?

I'm in a FB discussion group for NVAX where one of the members is currently down $600k.

So I have been listening to a podcast that constantly has advertising for Motif Investing, which is basically brokerage account that manages your investments into sustainable or forward looking companies and I've been considering joining it. I have a bunch of cash sitting in my Charles Schwab account that I haven't been doing anything with, so I thought I might as well start putting some of it into Motif.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It works as a subscription based service with ~$10 a month cost, so for it to really be effective I have to put a bit of money into it.

Sounds like a terrible idea.

Investing is about making money. Your only relevant measure of investing performance is your ROI. Period. Full stop.

If you happen to be in on a forward-looking company and it's making you bank like TSLA, that's just good coincidence. Alternatively, if you bought SCTY because it was a forward-looking company you got it in the shorts and maybe Tesla can save your investment and maybe it can't but you still got fucked in the short term.

I would't feel good putting all my money in one stock. That is just asking for trouble, since you are going to get it wrong sometimes.

So I have been listening to a podcast that constantly has advertising for Motif Investing, which is basically brokerage account that manages your investments into sustainable or forward looking companies and I've been considering joining it. I have a bunch of cash sitting in my Charles Schwab account that I haven't been doing anything with, so I thought I might as well start putting some of it into Motif.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It works as a subscription based service with ~$10 a month cost, so for it to really be effective I have to put a bit of money into it.
I don't see the point of this or the added value. If you want to be in sustainable companies, you can do that with any broker. Just buy the shares. Or buy the ETF that groups them together.

It's nice marketing from them I guess, but there really is no point to picking them over a cheaper broker and just buying the same things.

Mrbob

Not putting all money on one stock as I cap x amount of dollars I put into any solo stock. Just that I was at half of what I normally would go with on FIZZ but I get your points. It's run hard pretty fast recently though so I might start trimming.

Motif is interesting....I used to have an account there and it's nice to Basically make your own etf of stocks. The site is slick and you can set percentages​ for every stock in your motif and it'll grab the fractional shares for investments. I decided though i might as well just invest in existing etfs like vti instead. But if you are interested give it a shot with a small amount of money and see how you like it. If you enjoy building and maintaining your own personal etf you can add more money to it.

Edit Didn't realize they have their own investment guide now but might as well just get an existing etf instead

Joe

AIER analysis of February indicators "point to economic expansion continuing in the months ahead".

Overall, the recent performance of our Leaders is reassuring, pointing to continuing economic expansion in the months ahead, with a low risk of recession. Positive signs for the current expansion are reinforced by favorable results from our Coinciders and our Laggers. Our Coinciders registered 83 for the third month in a row as four indicators continued up, two trended flat, and none trended lower. Our Laggers posted a very solid 92 reading for the second consecutive month, with five indicators trending higher, just one remaining flat, and none moving lower.

March analysis should be out in about 2 weeks. They are great monthly evaluations, highly suggest bookmarking them.

My only biotech stock is going up 8% today (AMS:KDS). Numbers tomorrow, hopefully it won't crash back down. Still need 10% more to break even on it though.

Edit: And down 8% again on the numbers. The waiting continues.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They're going to have a bigger market cap than Honda by the end of the year if this keeps up. They have to outright become mainstream to sustain the current price, let alone go further up.

I really feel like selling even if I'm still down 34% on it (former SCTY shares), and then buying again on a dip, but I said that a few weeks ago and it still went up.

Tesla could one day become the Amazon of transportation, energy and utilities.

tesla-vehicle-deliveries-q1-2017_large.png

Ambitious target, but if they can make it... that's a whole lot of growth and no sign of stopping after that.

Cheap oil + an economic downturn (which would compound cheap oil) could hurt, the stock is volatile so that would be quite a hit.

Cheap oil + an economic downturn (which would compound cheap oil) could hurt, the stock is volatile so that would be quite a hit.
True. But in the long term we will go electric and Tesla is the company at the front of that now. It has a name for itself, it has the technology, the infrastructure.

The large problem I see is if either the Model 3 has troubles somehow, or if they lose their edge to competitors in a big way, but I don't know how that would happen.

Amazon is on a run, 900$ for the first time.

Luckily I started to invest some money a few weeks ago, I'm +9% as of now.

I bet Bezos is going to be richest dude soon. ^^

Nvidia slipping. Time to jump on or wait until it gets back to $90 or so? Don't want to hold too much dollar stocks, but this one still looks interesting.

NVDA has been moving nowhere but sideways for a few months now. If they don't pick up momentum after the next quarterly earnings I'm probably going to take some profits on my stake and wind it down a bit to free up cash for things like AMZN and TSLA.

Of course the way AMZN is running I should buy now before it hits $1000

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
AMZN is awesome and will probably be a 1trillion cap company in ten years. But its biggest risk is lawmakers, especially in Europe and Asia. To get around this they have to continue to diversify, and not be seen as just an online retailer, this way it's less likely that they would be blocked on all of their operations in a country.

Really wish I had some, bought some a few years ago and sold. Sometimes I regret not doing stock picking anymore, all the companies on my watchlist I used to buy and sell have all gone up significantly since. Now I'm all boring bonds, REITs, and S&P/developed markets :(

Top Bottom