• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

Cpt Lmao

It's a busy season. Only the cream of the crop shall get played

I can't imagine there will be many new games that will outscore 88 over the remainder of the year.

Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2..?

That might be it actually, what else is coming out this year?

Nice to see reviews like this. Been interested in the game for sure - it'd be my first Metroid if I pick it up.

Happy for Mercury Steam too. This was clearly a passion project for them - they had pitched a Fusion remake after all - and so to be rewarded with this kind of acclaim, and hopefully good sales, should be encouraging for their future.

Between this, Rabbids, and Hyrule Warriors, Nintendo's got plenty of evidence that loaning their IPs to third party partners works.

No? Calm down. Don't freak out because I didn't use the praise words you approve of. I didn't mean fine as a backhanded compliment. It's a good thing.

Well it's hard to tell here sometimes, I know it too well as I was castigated for deciding on passing on Knack 2 in its thread the other day due to one review and was told that game's reception was 'glowing'.

It's all good :)

tolkir

Up to 88 on metacritic after 24 reviews.

stop_penis_erect_archer.gif

This highlights my fears about the combat:

"There's also something off about how Samus Returns folds in some of the more combat-heavy leanings of Other M - that most divisive of Metroids - into this remake. Samus now has a free aim, and is reliant on counter attacks that open up the defences of enemies. The problem is how a majority of enemies require that counter in order to be dealt with, leading to a staccato rhythm to the action as you're constantly stopped in your tracks for such one-note encounters. It's all counter to the free-form exploration that the rest of Samus Returns dictates, and it's not helped by a slight sloppiness that can be felt in the controls."

Honestly, I don't necessarily trust a lot of reviewers to hone in on what makes combat good/bad, so I'll have to see for myself. Always thought adding more combat to metroid was an extraneous idea.

At least it's nice to hear the game is overall fine.

Jeremy Parish of Retronauts had the same criticism. I don't think it'll bother me too much in the end, but it's a legitimate concern for longtime Metroid fans.

If it doesn't happen I hope Citra can run it at some point so I can dump my cart and play it

The Pro Controller would be perfect for it. It would end one of my biggest critisisms, that the control of the game on 3DS is just a TAD unprecise and the 3DS doesn't have enough buttons for the many moves.

Congratulations to MercurySteam!

Hopefully this means they'll get to continue this interesting partnership and make a sidescrolling Metroid for Switch.

wwm0nkey

The Pro Controller would be perfect for it. It would end one of my biggest critisisms, that the control of the game on 3DS is just a TAD unprecise and the 3DS doesn't have enough buttons for the many moves.

Well Prime 4 is a ways out, maybe they will do a HD version on Switch before that comes out if this sells well enough (I am sure it will)

Mr Swine

Banned
Bu..but Sakamoto has destroyed Metroid! Mercurysteam are bad devs! This was supposed to suck!

Joking aside I'm so freaking glad that Metroid is back with great review scores!

Moose84

IGNs review actually reads a little more positive than the score suggests IMO.

The review is very positive but I think IGN are being less generous with scores in general these days, which is probably a good thing. Now if they can just go with a 10 point scale...

The ball is in Nintendo's court now.

If Metroid Prime 4 ends up good we'll be looking at a bonafide Metroid renaissance.

It goddamn better.

I never had any doubt about this game though, after the reveal and first hands on demos during the E3 Treehouse stream.

Yukinari

It feels very satisfying to read the IGN review purposely calling out Fed Force and Other M as the wrong turn of the franchise.

Im glad someone on these sites gets it.

KayMote

I'm really surprised by the game's length. I don't think it took me more than 6-7 hours to finish a 2D Metroid on the very first playthrough.

Nemesis_

As someone who has finished the game, the counters are a little bit jarring in the opening of the game. When you're running around with powerful weapons and you might miss an enemy or two the counter represents a fantastic opportunity to fight back against enemies you might have missed while running and gunning.

I guess the best way to put it is that it takes some getting used to.

ToonLink

Awesome reviews. Can't wait for my Legacy Edition to ship.

Unless it doesn't for some reason... either way, can't wait to play this game.

There have been so many vehement defenders of both games on sites including Gaf that im glad a major review site weighed in on it.

I enjoyed attributes of Other M and Federation Force but even if I didn't hate them I don't have any trouble saying that they've brought down the quality of the franchise. Samus Returns brings it back.

Nemesis_

My first playthrough lasted 6 hours and 50 minutes whereas 100% took just under 12 hours.

I don't want to point this out specifically but the 3DS Play Time app thing says a different time to what the game says.

My first playthrough lasted 10ish hours and my 100% was closer to 18. The game itself reported lower speeds / times than what I actually played.

And no, I didn't leave my 3DS lying around without playing.

I don't want to point this out specifically but the 3DS Play Time app thing says a different time to what the game says.

My first playthrough lasted 10ish hours and my 100% was closer to 18. The game itself reported lower speeds / times than what I actually played.

And no, I didn't leave my 3DS lying around without playing.

Exactly. 6 hours? Don't want to doubt the poster that said that but damn, couldn't imagine that on my first playthough.

FelipeMGM

I can't imagine there will be many new games that will outscore 88 over the remainder of the year.

Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2..?

That might be it actually, what else is coming out this year?

South Park and Wolfenstein II maybe? Those are really promising

Top Bottom