• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Game Development Games Voting ; Play & Vote on these user-created games

Copons

Thank you very much for the extremely constructive review! The screenshots of buggy walls that can be passed through are especially useful.

Not that I am a huge expert of RPG Maker, but testing my game (and several other drafts over the years) I've noticed that one of the most common errors (or better, "overlooks") in that department is when you place a "second layer" tile on top of an edge one.

For example, look at this image:

t682oaO.png

The left hill works as intended: you cannot "hop" on it, and in case you're on it, you cannot hop off.

The right hill, instead, has some bush tiles inside the hilltop edges. In this way, the bush passability (that is full 4 directions passability) override the edges one.
This makes events able to cross the edges no matter what.

(just to make my picture clearer:
RED = non passable
GREEN = passable
BLACK ARROWS = a 3 years old child attempt of underlining the fact that green means passable :D )

EDIT: this doesn't happens with bush tiles only, but with a LOT of tiles. IIRC it happened to me with flowers or small rocks (the ones in RTM tileset Exterior B).

Not that I am a huge expert of RPG Maker, but testing my game (and several other drafts over the years) I've noticed that one of the most common errors (or better, "overlooks") in that department is when you place a "second layer" tile on top of an edge one.

For example, look at this image:

t682oaO.png

The left hill works as intended: you cannot "hop" on it, and in case you're on it, you cannot hop off.

The right hill, instead, has some bush tiles inside the hilltop edges. In this way, the bush passability (that is full 4 directions passability) override the edges one.
This makes events able to cross the edges no matter what.

(just to make my picture clearer:
RED = non passable
GREEN = passable
BLACK ARROWS = a 3 years old child attempt of underlining the fact that green means passable :D )

EDIT: this doesn't happens with bush tiles only, but with a LOT of tiles. IIRC it happened to me with flowers or small rocks (the ones in RTM tileset Exterior B).

I poured over my tilesets trying to fix these passage issues before the deadline, and I think you may have hit upon exactly what was happening. Time to debug!

Very seldomly can people confirm eachother's alibis. The worst instance is when two people contradict eachother but there is no one to back them up. Both Hannah and Roger claimed to have been in the Butler room (but not with eachother). So, who's the killer? It seems to me just like a matter of luck. 50% chance of getting it right. I never encountered that in Sleuth (though I didn't play a whole lot of it).

This part of the critique isn't exactly fair. If you continue to ask Roger and Hannah, one of them will likely change their alibi, and that person will be the killer. Asking a suspect more than once when you're not sure is the key.

sld

Hard to believe there's just a little over two weeks to go in this contest. Where IS everybody?

Yeah... Considering that the old thread got a lot of attention it's a bit of a letdown with the lack of interest in the completed titles. I'm thinking about showing my game to people on dedicated RPG Maker websites instead.

Anyway, here goes...

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Review – Brodzilla by Copons

This is a pretty original and unique action-rpg game. The story is intentionally silly and fun and there's a good variety in maps and enemies. The hookshot was a nice touch and could have been used for some really cool puzzle gameplay. Instead it's only used in a very basic way which is a bit of a bummer. The writing (especially the devtalk!) made me chuckle a couple of times. I liked the pacing, there was always something new happening and the game didn't feel repetitive in that sense. The art direction was great and I like how you implemented some cool and inventive stuff like the chasing sequences.

The controls bothered me a bit. Sometimes I found it hard to remember which button did what. I imagine playing this game with a gamepad (instead of a keyboard) would make the monster bashing a lot more enjoyable. And speaking about the battles... They worked, but also felt very basic. I just mashed the attack button throughout the entire game without ever needing to use any real strategy.

Overall I really enjoyed this one and had a good time playing it. Brodzilla felt like a very personal creation and your humour and style translated wonderfully into this bizarre little action-rpg thingy about this... huge monster cat... destroying the world... Awesome contribution!

Fun Factor: 4/5
Story: 3.5/5
Graphics: 4/5
Audio: 4.5/5
Tone: 5/5
Overall: 4/5

The controls bothered me a bit. Sometimes I found it hard to remember which button did what. I imagine playing this game with a gamepad (instead of a keyboard) would make the monster bashing a lot more enjoyable.

I haven't gotten to Brodzilla yet but unless it uses custom keypress code, you should be able to use a gamepad for it. Just press F1 to configure it.

sld

I haven't gotten to Brodzilla yet but unless it uses custom keypress code, you should be able to use a gamepad for it. Just press F1 to configure it.

Thanks, that's good to know! Unfortunately, I don't even have a gamepad available for my PC right now, so I can't try it out for myself.

Copons

I just mashed the attack button throughout the entire game without ever needing to use any real strategy.

Aaaand that's what I call a JRPG! :p

No, but seriously, thanks a ton for your review and your kind words!
The real time battle system was the most painful thing of the development. I'd like to underline, though, that it's entirely my fault, because the original script is VERY good, and so full of possibilites. I'd suggest you - or better, anyone who'd like to try a real time battle system, to try its demo out: http://falcaorgss.wordpress.com/category/pearl-abs-liquid/

Sadly, with my total Ruby/RGSS knowledge I wasn't actually able to simplify it in an acceptable way.
Although, I could have just let it like it came, but when I realized that I had already modified too many things to start over.

I don't think it would work.
Falcao Pearl ABS (the battle system script I used) actually uses custom key codes.
Originally it has a MMORPG-like action bar, with (IIRC) 6 actions bound to keys F to L.
In my game I only use F and G, but still they aren't standard keys for RPG Maker, so I strongly doubt you'd be able to assign them to a controller through the F1 menu.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
//N.P.P.D. RUSH// - The milk of Ultraviolet
100% Orange Juice
1953 KGB Unleashed
3089 Futuristic Action RPG FPS
The 39 Steps
7th Guest & 11th Hour
8BitBoy
99 Levels to Hell
99 Spirits +DLC
Abyss The Wraiths of Eden
Adventure Park
Akane the Kunoichi
Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine
Alien Zombie Megadeath
Alter Ego
Ampu-Tea
A New Beginning Final Cut
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Anomaly 2
A Virus Named TOM
Awesomenauts
Bastion
Beatbuddy Tale of the Guardians
Beat Hazard Complete
Binary Domain
Bionic Dues
Blockland
Bridge Constructor
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box
C-Rush
Canyon Capers + DLC
Chaser
Chernobyl Commando
Chess The Gathering
Children of Liberty
Chime
Chrome + Chrome Specforce
Chompy Chomp Chomp
Circuits
Claire
Clones
Cobi Treasure Deluxe
Cold War
Combat Wings Battle of Britain
Containment The Zombie Puzzler
Cortex Command
Creeper World 3 Arc Eternal
Critical Mass
Crystals of Time
CT Special Forces Fire For Effect
Daikatana
Day One Garry's Incident
Dead Effect
Demonicon The Dark Eye
Deponia
Depth of Fear Knossos
Desert Thunder
Diamond Dan
Disciples III Reincarnation
Doc Clock Sandwich of Time
Dracula Origin
Duke Nukem Manhattan Project
Dungeon Defenders +All DLC
Dungeons The Eye of Draconus
Edna & Harvey Harvey's New Eyes
Electronic Super Joy Groove City
Epigenesis
Ethan Meteor Hunter
Expeditions Conquistador
Explodemon
Face Noir
FATE
Fearless Fantasy
Fester Mudd Curse of the Gold Episode 1
The Few
FEZ
Final Slam 2
Finding Teddy
The First Templar
Fist Puncher
FootLOL Epic Fail League
Fortix
Fortix 2
Freedom Fall
Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD
Gateways
GEARCRACK Arena
Go Home Dinosaurs!
Gomo
Grimind
Guardians of Middle-Earth & Smaug's Treasure DLC
Guise Of The Wolf
Gun Metal
Gun Monkeys
Hacker Evolution Complete (Base, Untold, Duality)
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Hammerfight
Hard Reset Extended Edition
Harvester
Helldorado
Hero of the Kingdom
Hitman Codename 47
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin
Hitman Absolution
Home Sheep Home 2
Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising
Hotel Collector's Edition
How to Survive
Humanity Asset
Humble Key (Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, & Jamestown)
I Am Vegend Zombiegeddon
iBomber Attack
Ichi
Ignite
Imperial Glory
Infinite Space III Sea of Stars
Influx
Inmomentum
Interstellar Marines
Ion Assault
Iron Grip Warlord +DLC
Iron Storm
Isomer
Jack Lumber
Jack Orlando Director's Cut
Jet Gunner
Jets'n'Guns Gold
Jet Car Stunts
Journey of a Roach
Just Cause
Killing Floor +DLC Bundle
Knightshift
Knytt Underground
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Legends of Persia
Lightfish
Lili Child of Feos Complete Edition
Lilly Looking Through
LIMBO
Litil Divil
Little Inferno
Little Racers STREET
LogiGun
The Longest Journey
Lords of Football
Love
LYNE
Manhunter
Marine Sharpshooter II Jungle Warfare
Mata Hari
Medal of Honor
Metal Planet
Humble Bundle Metro 2033, Risen, & Sacred Citadel Single Key
Mini Motor Racing EVO
Mini Ninjas
Montas
Mount & Blade
Muffin Knight
Naval Warfare
Nightmares from the Deep The Cursed Heart
Nosferatu Wrath of Malachi
No Time To Explain
Not The Robots
Oknytt
Omegalodon
Oniken
Oozi Earth Adventure
Orbital Gear
Overcast Walden and the Werewolf
Papo & Yo
Paradigm Shift
Party of Sin
Pineapple Smash Crew
Plain Sight
Planets Under Attack
Pool Nation
POSTAL
Post Mortem
Praetorians
Project Aftermath
Puzzle Kingdom
Q.U.B.E. Director’s Cut
QuestRun
RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition
Ravaged Zombie Apocalypse
Realms of Arkania 1 Blade of Destiny Classic
Realms of Arkania 2 Star Trail Classic
Realms of Arkania 3 Shadows Over Riva Classic
Realms of the Haunting
Really Big Sky
Rescue Everyday Heroes US Edition
Residue Final Cut
Restaurant Empire II
Revenge of the Titans
Ring Runner Flight of the Sages
R.I.P.D. The Game
Robot Rescue Revolution
Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken
Rock of Ages
Rogue's Tale
Rune Classic
RUSH

The Samaritan Paradox
Sanctum 2
Scratches Directors Cut
Secret of the Magic Crystals
Serious Sam 3 BFE
Septerra Core Legacy of the Creator
Shadow Man
Shadows on the Vatican Act I Greed
Sherlock Holmes The Awakened
Sherlock Holmes Mystery of the Mummy
Sherlock Holmes The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
Sherlock Holmes Nemesis
Sherlock Holmes Secret of the Silver Earring
Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper
Shiny The Firefly
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe
Skyward Collapse Complete
SOL Exodus
Soulbringer
Space Trader Merchant Marine
Spate
Speed Kills
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Still Life
Still Life 2
STORM Frontline Nation
Storm in a Teacup
Stranded
Strategic War in Europe
Street Racing Syndicate
Subject 9
Sugar Cube Bittersweet Factory
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
Super Killer Hornet Resurrection
Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe
Survivor Squad
They Breathe
Thief II The Metal Age
Thief Deadly Shadows
Thief 2014
Time Gentlemen Please Ben There, Dan That
The Tiny Bang Story
Toki Tori 2+
Tower Wars
Trauma
UFO Aftermath
UFO Aftershock
Unearthed Trail of Ibn Battuta Episode 1 Gold Edition
Vitrum
Volt
Wanderlust: Rebirth
Weird Worlds Return to Infinite Space
The Witch's Yarn
Wizardry 6 & 7
Wizardry 8
Woodle Tree Adventures
World War 2 Time of Wrath
X-Blades
Zack Zero
Zeno Clash 2
Zooloretto

Nothing too amazing? Two-thirds of the entrants will be walking away with more than ten games each! Possibly three-quarters if the 9th place guy gets a bundle or two. I'd call that amazing!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't think anyone can complain about that prize pool. Makes me feel gutted I could submit something.

I've now got free time so I'm going to try and play through as many of these as possible.

originalself

Neo Member
That is a nice pile of games. I never did get around to finishing Cthulhu Saves the World on the xbox so that will be nice. I look forward to checking out Breath of Death VII as well. Good stuff.

N4Us

Here's the rest of my thoughts, I'll be really busy over the deadline so I wasn't able to complete the rest up like I hoped, but I played at least a couple hours or so of each to get my thoughts in:

The Edge of Darkness by ZenaxPure

Man, that game is brutal. It was surprising playing something that was so focused on battles compared to the other RPGs so far. You really have to have your mind 100% focused whenever you fight and recognize when to utilize certain strategies. There were definitely a few battles I had to re-fight. Other than that, regular default design for the most part. Some of the paths you have to go feel a bit obtuse (It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out the graveyard statue buttons) and can leave you wandering. But overall it's a pretty in-depth and challenging game.

Fun Factor: 3.5/5
Graphics: 3/5
Audio: 3/5
Tone: 3.5/5
Overall: 3.5/5

My Miserable Island Vacation by sld

Well, at first, the game didn't go so bad. I liked how it rewarded you for checking everything, and while the humor wasn't my type it wasn't really cringe-worthy. The early battles were rough but once I leveled up enough it wasn't too bad to deal with. I was enjoying the game so far...

..And then I got to the second island. Uh, was it just me or was there literally no heal point anywhere whatsoever? I think I checked every nook and cranny and if I missed one then I'm being an idiot and forget it. But the problem is, once you start taking your damage on the island you're screwed. You have to save up MASSIVE money just for good equipment, and you barely have enough left over for the potions and such, which I assume are the only ways to slowly heal yourself up as you take more beatings. Which wouldn't be such an issue if 90% of the monsters were insta-kill status-spam machines that end your game if you even look at them. I'm sure I'm ranting way too much about a game like this but at this point it just got too annoying to play, where I savescummed after every battle cause I didn't want to waste any exp or mere money I got. Maybe if I grinded a tad more it would've gone better, but even that I don't think is an excuse. Had promise but this portion just completely killed it for me.

Also, minor note, but there's a pretty severe glitch on the second island where if you talk to the guy at the separating gate, you freeze the game.

Fun Factor: 1/5
Story: 2.5/5
Tone: 2.5/5
Overall: 2/5

The Very Best by PsionBolt

I'd give this game 5/5 on the sole fact that the default character is named Elric, but I digress. It was kind of an interesting concept in how the game works, and how it varies on how you get certain characters to join. I guess my big issue is that I just wasn't a fan of the battle system; It just seems too random to really get anything out of it, especially since it plays by itself basically. It's a really unique system but it got old quite fast.

Also there were quite a number of glitches as well that were bizarre. I encountered some of the previously mentioned ones, but another one I don't think was mentioned was that if you fight that guy in the first house (Where that girl sends him to fight you) and you win, when she kicks you out you turn invisible, and you can't turn back without resetting the game.

Fun Factor: 2.5/5
Overall: 3/5

GAFQuest by tensuke

I'm not really a fan of message board jokes but this wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Run of the mill RPG but not too bad. Some of the areas just seemed way too large to walk around in, and I felt like I was getting lost at a couple of points. Other than that, not really a bad game but nothing too special to write home about.

Fun Factor: 3/5
Graphics: 3.5/5

Copons

Brodzilla by Copons

First thing first: thank you very much not only for having played it, but also for this extremely in depth and spot on critique!
I sincerely think you got everything right.

Map design was in fact rushed after some point. IIRC I managed to actually plan and carefully design only the left-side continent, even though Harpies' cave too looks a bit sloppy.
Oh, when you say there are empty edges suggesting they are passages to other maps: I sincerely think how I designed passages was clear enough. I mean, there is always a fenced path! (but all in all, that was something I've been in doubt for the most part of the earliest design phases)

Syncing Brodzilla steps with the background music is something I've never even thought of. While the final effect never really satisfied me, I honestly don't think your way IS the way. After all, I was trying to achieve footsteps, not beats! :)

Regarding text formatting: I didn't know there was a script helping with that, or I'd have used it for sure.
But, and I guess this is the reason for most of us, After a certain point, planning and writing to fill text boxes becomes extremely hard and time expensive, that in a tight schedule, cutting text before 3/4 of boxes lenght becomes a forced choice.
Also, thank you very much for pointing out the spelling errors. The first two should be typos of course, the last one ("it didn't happen anything") is basically how you would construct "nothing happened" in Italian.

Most of the other things are actually things I don't know how to do in RPG Maker or didn't think about them enough. Like, the possibility of somehow separating the run key with the skip key is blowing my mind. :D

At the beginning, the hookshot was just meant to be a nod to Just Cause 2, but then all people who played the early demo enjoyed it a lot, and almost begged me to use it more.
Well, I ended up forcing it in every dungeon, even though I couldn't really plan more interesting ways of using it.
Also, the red globes: yeah, I hear you when you say it was TOO obvious, but then again, I didn't want people to get stuck around because they forgot they had a hookshot in their pockets. And anyway, in the RTP tiles I couldn't find a more subtle, but still visible enough, element for that.

Last but not least: the whole battle system and everything it drags along.
As I may have said before, trying to get a more cohesive combat system, I ended up dumbing down a truly great script.
While I couldn't find how to change action keys, I changed LOTS of other stuff. Like, originally there was a 6 or so slots action bar (think something like World of Warcraft), with attack, parry, spells, special skills, support weapons (like the hookshot), items.
Fact is that everything was planned to work together in an RPG Maker-esque stats system. So weapons and enemies scaled with experience levels. What I wanted, though, was more a Zelda-like system, with enemies ALWAYS requiring like 5 hits top to be killed (and viceversa, Guy with slightly more health, but still). I think I managed to get it somewhat right with fixing every attack at something aroung 15 damage per hit (or whatever), but this way I've irreparably broken the entire system. :D
As for loot falling in walls or enemies attacking from the other side of non passable tiles, those should be bugs of the original battle system. During development and testing, they happened rarely enough that I didn't care to fix them.
also in the last couple of days' crunch, I needed all the time I could to fix some game breaking bugs... :D
Potions/disks ratio is totally wrong, yup. (and anyway, disks were just a nod to Resident Evil, nothing more, really!)

colt92

Neo Member
I'm reviewing Recurrence by Tommy Gun. The game is based on a mechanic that I found very interesting: information gathering. In order to advance in the game you need to investigate (talk to people, make some calls, wander around, etc), but I felt that in the first half an hour that I played the game I had done very little. Despite having a big area, the amount of characters is fairly low, and the way to reach the stories conclusion is pretty linear. Games that exploit this mechanic are required to either give the player a lot of hints or put a lot of characters in place that allow him to advance through different means. This game doesn't do either, meaning that the players will get stuck frequently, knowing more or less what they should do, but not how to do it. Level design is fairly good and matches the tone the game wants to give off in each area.

Fun factor: 2/5
Story: 4/5
Graphics: 4/5
Audio: 3.5/5
Tone: 4.5/5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm reviewing RivalQuest v0.1 by Zashga. It's a story-focused comedy game that achieves its objective pretty well. Your dreams of heroic questing have been crushed by the real hero, who is a complete arsehole. The dialogs make you laugh at the protagonist's shitty life, despite his efforts. I also liked the comical situations you created with the scripts. A shame that it's just the prologue. By all means, continue it. Pretty please.
Btw, being fully healed after each battle was intended? Either way, I think it's fitting for your game.

Fun factor: 4.5/5
Story: 4/5
Audio: 3.5/5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm reviewing The Last Willie by Bl4ckSunsh1n3 and kn1ves24. It seems to be a balanced mix of combat, story and humour. An evil sorceress that eats people is toying with you because you told her to suck it. Well, I don't get it. I've been playing it, but I don't really find it funny. There is a lot of swearing and smartass dialogue, but it just didn't appeal to me that much. The models are detailed, but I don't like them that much, I don't think they fit with the rest of the assets. I think that another combat format may have been more fitting. Plus level design and tone are more fitting with a serious story rather than a humorous one.

Fun factor: 1.5/5
Graphics: 2/5
Tone: 2/5
Overall: 2.5/5

I'm reviewing Delinquent's Journey by Originalself. Aka “random encounters: the game”. The only major problem I think the game has are the combats. It's interesting, the characters are good, and it's funny. But it has too many random encounters, and even random encounters plus enemies roaming the dungeons. It would not be that bad if the protagonist had crazy attack or a powerful area special. But the first three characters only have single objective attacks, making combats very tedious and boring. I found myself getting out of the rat dungeon by spamming the action key in combat. Even rats have better combat abilities than you do! Something tells me that you didn't test the game at all. Overall, interesting but not worth the hassle of going through all of those combats.

Fun factor 1/5
Story: 3/5
Tone: 3/5
Overall: 2/5

I'm reviewing Kepzeletbeli Gyilkos by Albin Bernhardsson (Chainsawkitten). Very good story-focused game with a dark tone. Short and slow paced, it really makes you want to replay it in order to look for every nook and cranny, to try all dialogue options in order to reach the truth. If that can be done, of course. Although I liked the game a lot and rated it high in all categories, I can't give it a high overall because it's short and I still think it could have been something more. More complex interrogations and evidence/testimony gathering that opened dialogue options in order to find the real culprit would've been nice. Although I get the feeling that that's not the point of the game.

Fun factor: 4/5
Story: 4.5/5
Graphics: 4.5/5
Audio: 4.5/5
Tone: 5/5

EDIT: And three more. I won't review the rest because I won't have much time for them.

I'm reviewing The Age of Dusk – Prologue by Noble Neckbeard. Interesting story that seems to mix magic with science-fiction with an acceptable combat system. It's a nice touch that some equipment give skills. Graphics are good although you can walk over some tiles that should be non-passable. I also liked the HD images of the intro. Audio is fitting but nothing special, and the tone is pretty much consistent. Enjoyable overall.

Fun factor: 3/5
Audio: 2.5/5

I'm reviewing Murder Mystery Mansion by Tempy. It's a short investigation game with high replay value, since each time you play everything changes: names, characters, item locations, and of course the solutions. Plus, you have a very very limited time frame to solve the case or the murderer will kill you if you stumble upon him/her, which is very likely since you can only see the corridor and the room you're in. The only two things I didn't like are that sometimes the NPCs will block your way and that the culprit confesses instantly when you have the proof and you say who is it in front of everyone. I would've liked a little more dialogue, where you would have to choose the three answers and, if you had collected the evidence, the detective would say it. And if you tried to guess, you would fail. Overall very interesting and enjoyable.

Fun factor: 4/5
Story: 3/5
Tone: 3/5
Overall 3.5/5

I'm reviewing Brodzilla by Jacopo "Copons" Tomasone. Good mix of ARPG and comedy, with a real time combat system. Simple, very enjoyable and funny. I had a good time with it and didn't appreciate any serious flaws in it, although I would've liked to see some equipment because combat becomes dull when you're reaching the end. Audio is sometimes unfitting for the situation. Commentaries were a nice addition.

Fun factor: 4.5/5
Audio: 2.5/5

I'd really appreciate it if someone knew how to get through the dog part in The Edge of Darkness so I can write a proper critique for it.

In the meantime, My Miserable Island Vacation critique is up. Kinda hastily written but I spent more than enough time on the game itself. -.-

Edit: Because reviewers are awesome and I have a bunch of spare keys, I'll be giving away some games to reviewers after the end of the review period (voting ends 12th September). Anyone who's posted three or more reviews and hasn't submitted a game (not because those reviews are less appreciated but because anyone who submitted a game will already be getting at least something
and I'm stingy
) will get a game (hopefully, unless suddenly 50 people post reviews (which would be great, in that case it's first come, first serve)). I don't promise anything amazing, just a bunch of bundle leftovers.

ZenaxPure

I'd really appreciate it if someone knew how to get through the dog part in The Edge of Darkness so I can write a proper critique for it.

You just follow the dog from screen to screen. Triggers a cutscene which gives you an item. Guess I can't promise it's not bugged but it worked fine in my last test through the game (and I didn't change anything with it after that so it should work fine).

You just follow the dog from screen to screen. Triggers a cutscene which gives you an item. Guess I can't promise it's not bugged but it worked fine in my last test through the game (and I didn't change anything with it after that so it should work fine).

That's what I'm doing, but in the screen I posted the game freezes. Most likely since there's a cutscene in which the player should move a certain number of tiles down but is unable to do so since an event is blocking the way.

ZenaxPure

That's what I'm doing, but in the screen I posted the game freezes. Most likely since there's a cutscene in which the player should move a certain number of tiles down but is unable to do so since an event is blocking the way.

Hmmm, never encountered that when I was testing it. I will check into it tonight and see if I fucked it up somewhere without realizing it.

Dusk Golem

If anyone wants to throw out some last minute reviews, feel free too. In Spain on a trip, something that came up after I started this, got to a hotel now but very tired. Will tally-up when I wake up to determine the placings for everyone prize-wise.

If anyone wants to throw out some last minute reviews, feel free too. In Spain on a trip, something that came up after I started this, got to a hotel now but very tired. Will tally-up when I wake up to determine the placings for everyone prize-wise.

There's still three more days?

The game playing and voting category will start on August 9th, and finish on September 12th at 11:59 PM PST

Copons

OH RIGHT, Pft. Tired, was a long day. XD; I forgot off request of delayed deadline the voting deadline was also extended. Very helpful, I'll be settled somewhere for 5 days when that happens. Carry on~

As far as I'm concerned, you could also just wait until you're back. You shouldn't lose precious holiday (or whatever) time for this contest!

Dusk Golem

As far as I'm concerned, you could also just wait until you're back. You shouldn't lose precious holiday (or whatever) time for this contest!
Nah, if was when I'm back, that's not until the 27th. Phone handling codes will be a bit of a challenge but I can do it!

tensuke

I just want to thank everyone who entered this competition, even if you didn't complete your game (but shout-outs to those who did!). I always love when more people get into the RPG Maker community. I had a great time playing everyone's games, and I'll have my reviews up sometime tomorrow probably (though depending on how my studying for a test coming up goes maybe on the 12th). Also, I'd like to thank everyone who played my cruddy game, I've seen your feedback and I mostly agree with what you had to say. :) Even if I never really did the game I intended to make from the outset, the competition was fun, thank you Dusk Golem for having this, I hope we can get more RPG Maker compos because I just love playing and making these games, and you fellow GAFfers are so creative!

Also, I would like to offer $10 (paypal, psn, or xbl) to the 3rd through 12th place winners as well (excluding me obviously, and over time--not all in September, sorry, but over the next couple of months). It's not much, but I want to give back to you guys who did great jobs with limited experience and time. Good luck everyone! :D

ZenaxPure

Here's a video. Just showing what I have in the beginning, in case it has anything to do with progression or what order you do stuff in. Skip to 1:00 for dog chasing.

Alright, sorry it took me so long things around here have been weird lately for me. ANYWAY, it also took me a while to figure out what happened, but, seems like a really weird bug you came across. For a lot of cutscenes where characters are shown I had a single switch I used to show and hide other party members. Apparently one of the other events in the game (and I have no clue as to which, I'd have to dig through every single one to find it) I accidentally left out a line to turn that switch off. So best I can tell you did a scene with characters in it and then attempted to follow the dog after it but as that switch was still on you got that bug. It might be possible to manually fix but you've probably passed a lot of triggers and there might not be another chance for it. I put in a stop gap and am about to upload it if you want a fixed version (since i believe you can just copy/paste your save files), but, that might be too annoying or whatever I dunno. I am not sure what the easiest fix is other than just uploading the entire game again.

Either way, really interesting bug that was there all along but in my many tests and my friend playing through the game we never encountered it. Apparently I avoided the combination that caused it.

I put in a stop gap and am about to upload it if you want a fixed version (since i believe you can just copy/paste your save files), but, that might be too annoying or whatever I dunno. I am not sure what the easiest fix is other than just uploading the entire game again.

Is this happening? I'd love to be able to finish it and post a critique.

Dusk Golem

If someone wants to post a review, do so before the 26th. Sorry for the delay on my end, as said above been traveling Europe, but get back home finally on the night on the 25th, which then the next day I will properly pay attention to tallying this. Probably for the best as well, as I wasn't looking forward to copying and pasting almost 300 game codes via mobile. Again, I apologize for the delay, this trip came up after the contest was already underway.

Dusk Golem

After all those delays, I got it all calculated and added a few last minute entries into the prize pool. I tallying up lead to these results:

01.) RivalQuest by zashga
02.) Recurrence by Tommy Gun
03.) Képzeletbeli Gyilkos by ChainsawKitten
04.) Brodzilla by Copons
05.) The Edge of Darkness by ZenaxPure
06.) The Age of Dusk by Noble Neckbeard
07.) GAFQuest by tensuke
08.) My Miserable Island Vacation by sld
09.) Murder Mystery Mansion by Tempy
10.) The Very Best by PsionBolt
11.) Delinquent's Journey by originalself
12.) The Last Willie by Bl4ckSunsh1n3 & kn1ves24

To remind, here were the prizes:

305 games total, the distribution & prizes will go like this:

All people who enter get a copy of Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII.

1st place will receive 25% of the games in the pool. (76 of the games) and $100 via PayPal
2nd place will receive 20% of the games in the pool (60 of the games) and $20 on their Marketplace of choice between Steam, PSN, & Xbox Live
3rd place will receive 15% of the games in the pool (45 of the games)
4th place will receive 10% of the games in the pool (30 of the games)
5th place will receive 8% of the games in the pool (24 of the games)
6th place will receive 6% of the games in the pool (19 of the games)
7th place will receive 5% of the games in the pool (15 of the games)
8th place will receive 4% of the games in the pool (13 of the games)
9th place will receive 3% of the games in the pool (10 of the games)
10th place will receive 2% of the games in the pool (6 of the games)
11th place will receive 1% of the games in the pool (4 of the games)
12th place will receive 1% of the games in the pool (3 of the games)

I will PM all 12 people and go in order for them to reserve some of the games on the list, 1st place calls 10 games off the list first, then 2nd calls 9 games off the remaining list, 3rd place calls 8 games off the remaining list, and so on, until we get to 10th spot, where 10th, 11th, and 12th spots will call one game off the list. Then with the remaining games I will PM the 1st place winner again and let him choose the rest of the games he/she wants off the list for the number of games they have left, then 2nd place, and so on.

You are free to do whatever with these games. Keep them, give them to friends, give them to other GAF members, trade em, whatever, they're yours

---

Going to message the users who submitted with Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death Keys, and start by messaging the first place winner asking him to name the 10 games off the list first that he wants. Then once he responds, will then ask 2nd place, and so on.

Copons

After all those delays, I got it all calculated and added a few last minute entries into the prize pool. I tallying up lead to these results:

01.) RivalQuest by zashga
02.) Recurrence by Tommy Gun
03.) Képzeletbeli Gyilkos by ChainsawKitten
04.) Brodzilla by Copons
05.) The Edge of Darkness by ZenaxPure
06.) The Age of Dusk by Noble Neckbeard
07.) GAFQuest by tensuke
08.) My Miserable Island Vacation by sld
09.) Murder Mystery Mansion by Tempy
10.) The Very Best by PsionBolt
11.) Delinquent's Journey by originalself
12.) The Last Willie by Bl4ckSunsh1n3 & kn1ves24

Yo welcome back Dusk! Hope you enjoyed wherever you went in Europe! :)

Congrats to everybody and of course a big up to zashga!

Dusk Golem

Yo welcome back Dusk! Hope you enjoyed wherever you went in Europe! :)

Congrats to everybody and of course a big up to zashga!

Spain, France, Switzerland, and Italy. But came back and hit with sickness, but also gave me time after sleeping almost all day yesterday and watching movies.

PMs sent out to all, now to see how Zashga replies, and should get in contact with Aquamarine & esterk as well for the additional first and second place prizes.

colt92

Neo Member
Congratulations everyone! Enjoy the prizes!

I'm looking forward to a new competition in the future. I enjoyed this one a lot, and might even enter in a hypothetical next one.

Where were you in Spain Dusk? Did you enjoy it?

Top Bottom