• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Jackson

Speevy said:
These guys need to team up with Media Molecule for the next LittleBigPlanet.
Speevy
Junior Sonybot in training
(Today, 08:57 PM)

:lol

More videos will be up tomorrow/Monday :)

Mike M

Nick N
Sweet merciful crap, I want this game so f'in badly.

I swear, I will work a mantis shrimp into the solution of every puzzle.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I just realized to someone who has no idea about what this game is about, it must be bizarre to look at most of the comments in this thread.

"Vampires? Goats? Mantis Shrimps?! What the hell is going on?!"

justchris

Get ready to declare your game of the show after the break. You'll forget all about Splinter Creed or whatever once you see the player character, sitting in a mech, next to a mecha, watching 5TH Cell's creative director breakdance to the musical stylings of ... Keyboard Cat.

Wait, wait. Wait.

Wait.

Jackson is in the game?

How did he get here, is he no good with DS? Damn, I want this game now.

Forkball

Wow at those videos. The interface can seem a bit clunky, especially controlling the main character, but I am shocked by the amount of insane stuff they put in here. The fact that we can make levels just multiplies the replay value by a million. I can't wait to see what crazy things people come up with.

Drakken

xir said:

BorkBork said:
The most through and fascinating preview thus far from Eurogamer:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/scribblenauts-preview?page=1

Oh the inner nerd in me is SO going to test through obscure dinosaur names. Go Huayangosaurus, Euoplocephalus, and Baryonyx!

Wow. This is my most wanted game now. Such an awesome idea. People are going to have so much fun with this. I foresee hundreds, no, thousands of Youtube videos of people testing out different combinations of items and pitting various characters/animals/objects against each other.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Jackson said:
More videos will be up tomorrow/Monday :)

It looks SO phenomenal. I'm trying to spread the word like mad (onlinez and off). This is easily the best looking game I've seen in a long time.

And seriously, make it spawn a dude when you type "Dac." I'd love you forever and potentially send you a fruit basket once a month for the rest of your life.

billy.sea

Banned
This game needs to be Game of the Show. Jury please vote for this game. Please don't discriminate just because it is a handheld game. The tech is more impressive than those that rely only on graphics.

Nocebo

The interaction between objects was the only thing I was dying to hear more about because I already believed the amount of objects that would be available. My greatest fears have been confirmed however:
I won't be able to put this game down for a looooong time, I will die of starvation and/or sleep deprivation :(

BorkBork

billy.sea said:
This game needs to be Game of the Show. Jury please vote for this game. Please don't discriminate just because it is a handheld game. The tech is more impressive than those that rely only on graphics.

At least it's on IGN Nintendo's top 10:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/992/992000p2.html

Scribblenauts may be the coolest DS title ever. We've never seen so many IGN editors this excited over a DS game, and the sheer volume of words in this game make for endless possibilities. We kept trying to stump it, and instead the game consistently surprised us by totally delivering.

That's some hefty praise on a platform with the DS track record.

Feep

Banned
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wondering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
bowmandsa2.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wondering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Holy fucking shit.
I'm trying to react here but there are no words...
EXCEPT THAT I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS GAME HOLY SHIT

BorkBork

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

I've been on GAF longer than I can remember, but this is the greatest fucking post in the history of the gaming forum.

:lol :lol :lol

Mods, can you change the title of this thread to what I have in the OP? :lol I can't stop laughing.

Nocebo

Holy shit Feep, amazing story. Earlier it was reported the time machine did nothing for someone but clearly it does work.

Thinking about it, this game needs to be pushed into schools or some shit. I can see this game having a lot of educational merits. You can use it to teach kids about words, but you can also teach creative problem solving, thinking out of the box.

Yazan

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

:O

joetachi

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.
OK with this im sure this game will be fucking awesome i dont even care what anyone else says.:D

So admittedly, I haven't even heard of this game until now. Looks pretty cool...might get it if the impressions are positive enou---

Feep said:
Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES.
PURCHASE CONFIRMED!

DAY -5!

GAME OF THE FOREVER!

Unison

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

This is the best thing ever, clearly. I will be fuming if it doesn't win game of the show.

jman2050

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

Seriously, how exactly does anyone top this? How?!

Firestorm

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.
ok buying this

Brashnir

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

and with that, I go on Scribblenauts media blackout. I want to find the rest of the awesome on my own when it comes out.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I honestly have never felt excitement for a game quite like this. It sounds....there are no words for it. I can't wait to play this game.

BorkBork

Brashnir said:
and with that, I go on Scribblenauts media blackout. I want to find the rest of the awesome on my own when it comes out.

There's no reason for a blackout on this game. The magic is in the database and in your head.

GDGF

Soothsayer
After they finish this game I would LOOOOVE for 5th Cell to do a new fangled dungeon hack using the technology for this game. It would be the best dungeon crawler ever.

Blizzard

Banned
Linkzg said:
why hasn't anyone answered? when is this released? I want it
It's not listed on Amazon yet, but everything I've seen says autumn/Q4 2009, so I'm hoping that it's out by Christmas. If they make it by Christmas and word has spread, then it should sell amazing amounts. It seems like the ultimate childhood imagination gift, along the lines of LEGOs for doing whatever you can think of. :D

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to play around with this! Just watched a video and they asked the crowd to name an item... waffle iron. I'm thinking, pretty random, probably not in there. I was wrong.

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

carla.gif

jepense

5th Cell (and Jackson especially) must feel pretty high about now. They had this amazing but tough-to-realize concept, and they went and realized it. Now, they have a jewel in their hands that seems to pretty much leave anyone touching it giddy with excitement. (Also us who can't yet try it...) Game of the show indeed; maybe also GOTY ... or GOTF?!

Brashnir said:
But it has more stuff than you'll ever find yourself... I don't think you can spoiler this game. It has everything!

Nocebo

Blizzard said:
It seems like the ultimate childhood imagination gift, along the lines of LEGOs for doing whatever you can think of. :D
Agreed! It's almost like a digital box of toys. Even though scribblenauts is not out yet I'm wondering about what the future might hold. I'm pretty sure they're not going to just toss the system and database out after all that hard work. They can relatively easily expand on the data they already have.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.
2efhw5u.png

GDGF

Soothsayer
jepense said:
5th Cell (and Jackson especially) must feel pretty high about now. They had this amazing but tough-to-realize concept, and they went and realized it. Now, they have a jewel in their hands that seems to pretty much leave anyone touching it giddy with excitement. (Also us who can't yet try it...) Game of the show indeed; maybe also GOTY ... or GOTF?!

But it has more stuff than you'll ever find yourself... I don't think you can spoiler this game. It has everything!

Agreed. You could glue this thing permanently into a DS and it would be cool with me. I haven't been this hyped for a game for a long, long, long time.

Nocebo

GDGF said:
Agreed. You could glue this thing permanently into a DS and it would be cool with me. I haven't been this hyped for a game for a long, long, long time.
I wonder if you could summon a DS and a copy of scribllenauts + glue and glue the copy into your ds... Probably not since they're copywrighted materials.

Anyway, yeh I'm super pumped too, this game can't come soon enough.

bathala

Banned
Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

saw the post on the other thread.
Ok. just bought a ticket and ridding the hype train

Lord Phol

So here I was thinking, poor poor DS, haven't gotten much love at home.
And then I'm reading this:

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

And now I'm drowning in my own semen.
Must HAVE this GAME!

Feep said:

Holy fucking shit.

Dear. God.

Top Bottom