• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM #244 Feb'11

Just received the issue..

Cover Story - SSX: Deadly Descents

EGM's GOTY = Red Dead Redemption

other random awards:
- Best Original Game: Heavy Rain
- Best Download: Super Meat Boy
- Best Handheld Game: DQIX
- Biggest Letdown: Crackdown 2
- Best Storytelling: Alan Wake
- Best Original Artstyle: Limbo
- Best Co-OP: Lara Croft and the Gol

Next Wave (Previews)
- True Crime:Hong Kong
- DC Universe
- Rift
- Hybrid

Reviews
- Little Big Planet 2: 8.5
- Lost in Shadow: 5.5
- Gran Turismo 5: 6.5
- Echochrome ii: 8.0
- Ghost Trick: 8.5
- Kingdom Hearts RE:Coded: 5.0

Nice interview with Randy Pitchford(Gearbox).

A few tidbits:
- 007 Nightfire was originally supposed to be based on You Only Live Twice.
- More info on Duke Forever will be unveiled around the end of Jan, or beginning of Feb.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I can already taste the angry tears

Edit:

the fuck is this shit

vlcsnap-2011-01-07-00h53m53s201.png

*cries angry tears*

V_Ben

Banned
Wow, people are getting the next issue already? I'm still waiting for that Deus Ex cover over here! EGM, make your postage to the UK better :(

I have to get around to playing this soon. When it drops below $20 I'm sure I'll snatch it up.

- Aliens: Colonial Marines won't be coming ever.

Fixed for accuracy. A real shame, Gearbox really knows how to do co-op gameplay.

Considering the scores most competent racers get these days (7-9), this is kind of harsh isn't it? What did they complain about?

thuway

Interested in hearing about LBP2 and GT5 is a polarizing game. The audience the game was made for, love it. All my gear head friends with this game seem to be locked away playing it and nothing else. Life goes on.

Hellshadow said:
Just received the issue..

Cover Story - SSX: Deadly Descents

EGM's GOTY = Red Dead Redemption

other random awards:
- Best Download: Super Meat Boy
- Best Handheld Game: DQIX
- Biggest Letdown: Crackdown 2
- Best Original Artstyle: Limbo
- Best Co-OP: Lara Croft and the Gol

Next Wave (Previews)
- True Crime:Hong Kong
- DC Universe
- Rift
- Hybrid

Reviews
- Little Big Planet 2: 8.5
- Lost in Shadow: 5.5
- Echochrome ii: 8.0
- Ghost Trick: 8.5
- Kingdom Hearts RE:Coded: 5.0

Nice interview with Randy Pitchford(Gearbox).

A few tidbits:
- Aliens: Colonial Marines won't be coming in 2011.
- 007 Nightfire was originally supposed to be based on You Only Live Twice.
- More info on Duke Forever will be unveiled around the end of Jan, or beginning of Feb.

Can't say I agree 100% with Crackdown 2. Certainly not the massive improvement or mega-sequel I was hoping for, but it was still every bit as good as Crackdown 1... just not as improved as it should have been. My biggest let-down would have to be GT5... which brings me to the review... without reading the review it's difficult to comment on how accurate the score is... but I was thoroughly disappointed with the game and ended up returning it, but that score still seems a little too low for a game with so much content and accuracy.

Glix

Stripper13 said:
Can't say I agree 100% with Crackdown 2. Certainly not the massive improvement or mega-sequel I was hoping for, but it was still every bit as good as Crackdown 1... just not as improved as it should have been. My biggest let-down would have to be GT5... which brings me to the review... without reading the review it's difficult to comment on how accurate the score is... but I was thoroughly disappointed with the game and ended up returning it, but that score still seems a little too low for a game with so much content and accuracy.

Almost every impression I've heard on Crackdown 2 says it is WORSE than the original. Literally every one.

Pretty low on GT5. Wonder what the text says that wasn't already said by other outlets that all gave the game higher scores.

seady

They seem to be using the whole review scale so not all games at 7 or higher. That's a good thing and people should stop complaining.

I wonder if the GT5 review was from the guy that did a preview of it and didn't know the difference between oversteer and understeer?

SolidSnakex said:
I wonder if the GT5 review was from the guy that did a preview of it and didn't know the difference between oversteer and understeer?
is that when you put your hands at 11 and 1 on the steering wheel?

Most games have two reviewers in EGM, so maybe the other review rated GT5 higher. For instance, in the last issue Epic Mickey scored a 6 (or 6.5, can't remember) in one review and a 9 in the other.

I hope I don't know the person who reviewed LittleBigPlanet 2 for EGM
8.5 is barely lower than its review average, so I am not sure what his problem is.

wtf

did egm not close down?
Steve Harris resurrected it.

Glix said:
Almost every impression I've heard on Crackdown 2 says it is WORSE than the original. Literally every one.

Fair enough... I have difficulty finding any merit in that however. The mission structure is different, but just as repetitive and simple as CD1 ever was - the graphics received a touch of next-gen grit that is either love/hate (I think it looks better overall, especially in massive areas)... but other than that, it's everything CD1 was but better. Better weapons, abilities, missions/challenges, co-op, game modes, vehicles etc. Maybe some people over-estimated their love for CD1? I went back to it not longer after I bought CD2 (my friend wasn't sure if he was going to buy, so wanted to play some CD1 to make sure) and there's nothing in it that makes it any more fun or enjoyable than the sequel.. in fact, I was getting very bored without the ability to glide, or use the UV weapons, massacre legions of zombies etc. Again, the sequel was just the first game with 'more' added to it... not nearly enough to make it worth a $60 full-fledged game... but a worthy successor.

Karish

We the gamers are responsible for the publications skewed review score logic. 8.5 IS NOT A BAD SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SolidSnakex said:

Seriously? Its a fucking racing simulator. People who review it should at least know a little bit about cars.

Hellshadow said:
Aaron Thomas did the reviews for LBP2 and Gran Turismo 5 for those asking.
Haha no way, really...I remember whe he was at Gamespot reviewing games. Never agreed with him once. Especially the score he gave the first Ratchet game on PS3

V_Ben

Banned
Hellshadow said:
Aaron Thomas did the reviews for LBP2 and Gran Turismo 5 for those asking.
Oh... him. I remember his Ratchet: Tools of Destruction review, and how much I objected to the score he gave it. 7.5, wasn't it? I'm not particularly a fan of him as a reviewer. It's as if he always underrates games in the hope of getting a rise. But I know that he wouldn't do that. :D

V_Ben

Banned
Shurs said:
Their strategy certainly doesn't involve consistent delivery of the magazine to subscribers.
Especially if those subscribers don't even have the common decency of being in the US. I'm still waiting for my Deus Ex issue :/

Haunted

Crackdown 2 was a big pile of shit.

Can certainly see how it would be a disappointment to people who were eagerly anticipating it.

Hellshadow said:
uh oh

Curufinwe

V_Ben said:
Oh... him. I remember his Ratchet: Tools of Destruction review, and how much I objected to the score he gave it. 7.5, wasn't it? I'm not particularly a fan of him as a reviewer. It's as if he always underrates games in the hope of getting a rise. But I know that he wouldn't do that. :D

He talks about the reaction to that review regularly on the Mobcast. Pretty sure the backlash scarred him for life.

6.5 is higher than Giant Bomb's score for GT5.

Shurs

Curufinwe said:
He talks about the reaction to that review regularly on the Mobcast. Pretty sure the backlash scarred him for life.

6.5 is higher than Giant Bomb's score for GT5.

Different scales.

Curufinwe said:
He talks about the reaction to that review regularly on the Mobcast. Pretty sure the backlash scarred him for life..
It should have. Saying Ratchet and Clank had too much variety and that's why he gave that game a 7.5...wtf?:lol
Anyway, I'd like to read that LBP2 review and find out why it got an 8.5.

vanty

Galvanise_ said:
Seriously? Its a fucking racing simulator. People who review it should at least know a little bit about cars.
It's a racing game. There are no sims on consoles. So a games reviewer seems like a perfect person to review it, unless they hate racing games.

Top Bottom