• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Gonna go full AMD high end with the 1800x model.

Can't wait to see their new GPU. Maybe going full AMD is suddenly a reasonable way for enthusiasts.

I'm interested to see if the 1600x and 1500 will score decently on the benchmarks, as i'm looking for a midrange upgrade option. Looking to replace my aging 17-2600k setup.

So... if the leaked bench are to be believed, the 1700 is still only ~50% faster than my 6 year old i7 2600k. That's good enough to upgrade I guess.

Guess I'm far from the only one sitting on a 2600k. I'll bet there are plenty of 2500 owners out there too.

I'm still distressed about upgrading, because the 2600k was such a huge improvement for CPUs that I feel like I should wait for a similar improvement. And the longer we go without a big leap forward for CPUs, the more likely it seems to be right around the corner. So I'm terrified of buying a CPU in today's incremental improvements market, only for some groundbreaking new tech to be announced the following year.

I'm really glad AMD is bringing their A game though. Maybe competition is exactly what consumers need to finally see a big step forward for CPUs.

Guess I'm far from the only one sitting on a 2600k. I'll bet there are plenty of 2500 owners out there too.

I'm still distressed about upgrading, because the 2600k was such a huge improvement for CPUs that I feel like I should wait for a similar improvement. And the longer we go without a big leap forward for CPUs, the more likely it seems to be right around the corner. So I'm terrified of buying a CPU in today's incremental improvements market, only for some groundbreaking new tech to be announced the following year.

I'm really glad AMD is bringing their A game though. Maybe competition is exactly what consumers need to finally see a big step forward for CPUs.

You could be waiting a very long time. Things are very up in the air as far as fabrication goes. The reason you had those jumps before was because of more substantial die shrinks.

TDP/power efficiency is still making headway, but it's going to take more non traditional breakthroughs to really take things far beyond where we are now.

I imagine a ton of gamers still rock the 2500/2600, the thing was a masterpiece.

But yeah, i'm really wondering how the midrange of this chip will go. There is a huge market for mid range pc gaming, with a ton of people using 1080p monitors, bleeding edge power is seemingly wasted.

Heck, i'm still rocking a 290x, and that was an upgrade over my previous card. My 2600k/290 still plays pretty much everything I throw at it with respectable frames. Probabaly won't go for the GPU upgrade till the 490 drops.

DonMigs85

Thank you Jim Keller and the rest of the AMD engineering team
Hopefully the 4 core/8 thread chips give the 7700K a run for its money

You could be waiting a very long time. Things are very up in the air as far as fabrication goes. The reason you had those jumps before was because of more substantial die shrinks.

TDP/power efficiency is still making headway, but it's going to take more non traditional breakthroughs to really take things far beyond where we are now.
Yeah, I doubt we'll see those types of increases again in single core performance until we find a way to successfully move past silicon.

I was just about to start a ITX build with an i5 7600k, nvidia 1060 but now I am really thinking on waiting for the Ryzen 5. I'm kinda worried that once that drops I'll want to wait for AMD's next gpu and never build a fucking thing! I want them all now!

Hesh

Bought an FX-8350 to replace my FX-4350 last year for a little over $100 so I'm going to dig in with this one for awhile, but I'm interested in seeing how Ryzen performs. Perhaps in a couple years when they get back down to affordable AMD prices I might get one for ~$150.

In game benchmarks.

We need them.
Without question.

We're all awaiting as many varied and thorough reviews from reliable sources as we can get.

Until then, just the long list leaks, including these *claimed* gaming, synthetic and power consumption figures:

PCEVA:http://bbs.pceva.com.cn/thread-137649-1-1.html

1700X@3.4g vs 6800k@3.4g

Intel:
Intel Core i7 6800K :3.4G
ASUS STRIX X99 GAMING
16GB DDR4-2400(dual channel)
RX 480 8G 1266/2000 8GB GDDR5
BIOS:1401
Crimson 17.2.1

AMD:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X :3.4G
ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
16GB DDR4-2133
RX 480 8G 1266/2000 8GB GDDR5
BIOS:404
Crimson 17.2.1
12exqY.png

Found by csbin over at anandtech forums.

More power consumption claims:
Hot giggidy

wuXsXof.png

https://videocardz.com/66451/amd-ryzen-rumors-part-3

These performance figures and power consumption reminds me of the thrashing Nvidia usually unleashes on AMD GPUs.

I imagine a ton of gamers still rock the 2500/2600, the thing was a masterpiece.

But yeah, i'm really wondering how the midrange of this chip will go. There is a huge market for mid range pc gaming, with a ton of people using 1080p monitors, bleeding edge power is seemingly wasted.

Heck, i'm still rocking a 290x, and that was an upgrade over my previous card. My 2600k/290 still plays pretty much everything I throw at it with respectable frames. Probabaly won't go for the GPU upgrade till the 490 drops.

Yep! At 1080p my 2600k is still bottlenecked by my GTX 970 in The Witcher 3. The only time my CPU is a problem is for games that don't utilize multiple cores properly, like The Elder Scrolls Online. That's not a good enough reason for me to invest in a more powerful CPU, but hopefully efficient multi-core use becomes the norm from now on.

Yeah, it's depressing =( I'm really not sure what I'm waiting for. I think it would have to reach a point that my 2600k can no longer play games at 1080p60, AND new CPUs would have to be 8 cores at a speed of 4.5+. Otherwise it's just not a big enough jump to justify the hundreds of dollars imo. I get that I probably have a very weird opinion about this though, and perhaps most people are happy enough with the small improvements between CPU gens. At the very least I'm really excited to see what this new competition between AMD and Nvidia will lead to.

zoozilla

I just bought a i5-6600k last year, so I won't be upgrading for a while, but I really hope AMD kills it with Ryzen and they're still a viable option a few years down the line when I will upgrade.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Who is jumping on AMD stock!?!?!?! :D

Currently sitting with an i5 4670 (not k), 16DDR3 and a GTX 1080, only issues I’ve had is with the likes of WD2 (running @ 1440). I haven’t had an AMD CPU since 2004-2006ish during the Athlon range (time could be off, my memory is fuzzy). Really looking forward to seeing some real world benchmarks, was interested in the 1600X but might jump at the 1700X!

Who is jumping on AMD stock!?!?!?! :D

Currently sitting with an i5 4670 (not k), 16DDR3 and a GTX 1080, only issues I’ve had is with the likes of WD2 (running @ 1440). I haven’t had an AMD CPU since 2004-2006ish during the Athlon range (time could be off, my memory is fuzzy). Really looking forward to seeing some real world benchmarks, was interested in the 1600X but might jump at the 1700X!

With the old adage of buy on rumor, sell on news, you're probably better off waiting at this point so close to release.

With the old adage of buy on rumor, sell on news, you're probably better off waiting at this point so close to release.

Definitely. I probably plan to sell on release. Will probably drop and then I'll have to decide whether or not I'm picking up more for long term. I don't have all that much to put in currently though. Arbitrage is allowing me to turn a quicker profit given my assets (student).

Paragon

Going from an overclocked i7-2600K to an R7-1700 should be about 2x faster in multithreaded applications for a similar price.
I would be surprised if there is a more significant upgrade than that happening any time soon.

Intel do have a 6-core consumer chip due for release later this year (likely 6+ months away) but the absolute best I think you could hope for would be R7 levels of multithreaded performance - though achieving that level of performance with a 6-core CPU would mean that it does quite a bit better in per-core performance.

While the pre-release leaks/information looks good, I think people are crazy for pre-ordering. I'd never buy hardware without reviews.
Most tests that have leaked out so far are comparing against the 6800K/6900K, when gaming benchmarks against a 7700K are what should matter to most of us here.

I'm very hopeful about it doing well in gaming, but I'm not convinced it's going to be the best option for most games right now - just as the 6800K/6900K have typically been a worse choice for gaming than the 7700K.
Now if you only care about performance in 2016 and newer games, then perhaps single-core performance won't matter nearly as much, but most earlier games don't really scale beyond four cores.

I'll be waiting for DigitalFoundry results before making a decision, since so many sites still don't know how to set up a proper gaming performance test for CPUs.

1800X is 575 euros on Amazon Italy, jesus christ..
It's $500 US and you have a 20% tax rate, so I'm not sure what you expected?

Necrovex

Any recommended mini-ITX mobo that will work with the Ryzen? Getting all my computer parts in line, so I can order most of everything right before Ryzen releases.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely. I probably plan to sell on release. Will probably drop and then I'll have to decide whether or not I'm picking up more for long term. I don't have all that much to put in currently though. Arbitrage is allowing me to turn a quicker profit given my assets (student).
Oh I know, I was only joking :p .

I am
semi
serious about the upgrade from i5 to Ryzen though!

DPB

Any recommended mini-ITX mobo that will work with the Ryzen? Getting all my computer parts in line, so I can order most of everything right before Ryzen releases.

The X300 and X370 chipsets are coming at some point, but they won't be available this week in mini-ITX and they don't have a release date yet.

Necrovex

The X300 and X370 chipsets are coming at some point, but they won't be available this week in mini-ITX and they don't have a release date yet.

Appreciate it. I am still going back and forth between a mid-case and the mini-ITX. This is my first build, so I am leaning towards the mid case to have an easier time building my PC.

Locuza

Thank you Jim Keller and the rest of the AMD engineering team
[...]
Here is one part of the rest:
940603d1487867100-ryzen-7-offiziell-preis-technische-daten-amd-schickt-8-kerner-gegen-broadwell-e-und-kaby-lake-s-team-zen.jpg

Mike Clark held the HotChips presentation and was the lead designer for the core and named it Zen.
And if I remember correctly he also worked on *EVERY* AMD CPU architecture.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Eight cores for all.

Thanks, AMD. Now I need a formal reason drop of a hat to retire my home zoo and go 1800X all around.

dr_rus

Could probably add this to the OP's CPU/mem scaling section: DDR3-/DDR4-RAM 2017: Test, Vergleich, Kaufberatung und Bestenliste [Februar]

I'm not at all sure that faster RAM means much for general gaming unless you're actually playing in 720p and/or low graphics settings. Case to think on here - the apparent total lack of difference in gaming between Intel's two and four memory channel platforms. Doesn't mean that there are no cases where faster memory helps of course, just that it shouldn't be your primary concern when choosing the new platform.

Oh God that OT though.

If they even slightly live up to the hype, I'll probably be upgrading from my FX by the end of the year. That thing is such a bottleneck, about the only thing it's done for me is make for a nice space heater all winter. Can't wait to be rid of it.

Great job, OP!!! So excited to get my 1700X! My livestreaming and video editing are going to be soooooo much smoother thanks to those extra cores and threads. Bring on the benchmarks!

Top Bottom