• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Canova

Banned
ZealousD said:
Thanks guys for all the kind words on the OP! Even though I intentionally didn't go BruceLeeRoy crazy, I spent more time on this than I probably should have. :lol

it's great official topic. it's a good intro to many of those who haven't heard about this game

SamBishop

Banned
Final retail copies came in today (PS3 and 360) and they're so... shiny! The cover's actually got some funky foil stamping stuff, so there are lines coming off the "reflection" of War's sword. It looks neat.

Also, at the rest of whoring out my site, if anyone needs more of a push toward picking this thing up, here's our preview. It's basically a couple thousand words of me spazzing out over how much I love the game, but hopefully there are a couple of interesting details buried in there too.

Also also, the PS3 is sexy as hell.

soldat7

Wow. I'd pretty much written this one off. Unless these initial reviews/impressions are flukes, I'll wait to see which version is better before I pre-order/buy.

Enigma777

Banned
SamBishop said:
Final retail copies came in today (PS3 and 360) and they're so... shiny! The cover's actually got some funky foil stamping stuff, so there are lines coming off the "reflection" of War's sword. It looks neat.

Also, at the rest of whoring out my site, if anyone needs more of a push toward picking this thing up, here's our preview. It's basically a couple thousand words of me spazzing out over how much I love the game, but hopefully there are a couple of interesting details buried in there too.

Also also, the PS3 is sexy as hell.
Thanks a lot Sam!

Smokey

First sleeper hit of 2010 confirmed?!?

It's official now..for me at least. Too many different people are enjoying and raving about this game.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yea Ive decided to pick this game up after reading through this thread and previews.

I just can't decide which console to get it for :\

SamBishop

Banned
Decado said:
"First big game of 2010"? Isn't Bayonetta coming out on the same day?

Everybody knows the 360 version of that is where it's at, heh. It's a PlayStation site, so I guess if you look at it that wa-yeah, I apparently forgot Bayonetta was hitting on the same day, whoops. One of the first big games of 2010!

Matrix said:
Yea Ive decided to pick this game up after reading through this thread and previews.

I just can't decide which console to get it for :\

Whichever you play on most, I suppose? It's a purely single-player game, so unless you're going to be playing alongside other people with voice chat on or something, it kinda comes down to whether you want more Trophies or Achievements. The game's pretty much the same on both consoles.

Decado

It will be pretty expensive start of the year for fans of the genre if Darksiders, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno and God of War 3 all turn out well.

Decado said:
It will be pretty expensive start of the year for fans of the genre if Darksiders, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno and God of War 3 all turn out well.

That's exactly why I want all of these to succeed. I love the action/action adventure genre, and this gen hasn't had nearly as many as it should have. We already know Bayonetta will be amazing, and I'm hoping the remaining 3 will be as well.

El-Suave

Gamepro Germany reviewed it:
PS3: 92%, Xbox 360: 91% (they claim the 360 version has more tearing)
Game length is supposed to be 25 hours.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hesemonni said:
Digital Foundry's Darksiders feature can't come soon enough.

I'll have to check that out. I usually go to LensofTruth as I personally know the guys, feel they do a great job and trust that they approach each comparison unbiased. The way they summarize the comparison for a quick glance is nice too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just now got around to watching some Darksiders gameplay videos....it actual looks really good, I'm interested now. It's unfortunate that it's sandwiched between Bayonetta and Mass Effect 2, though, but I'll pick it up eventually if it turns out as good as it looks.

Jube3

Good stuff on the OP, Im looking forward to this games and the positive reviews help. For some reason I get a Brutal Legend vibe from the videos and its tough to shake. Definitely checking this out.

Tokubetsu

Jube3 said:
Good stuff on the OP, Im looking forward to this games and the positive reviews help. For some reason I get a Brutal Legend vibe from the videos and its tough to shake. Definitely checking this out.

Don't worry, there aren't any RTS segments. Straight action adventure.

what i'm finding really weird are the impressions that the 360 version is the one with more technical problems...
we'll just have to wait and see

Cruzader

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I really love all the use of color. Developers take note, even if your game is set in the apocalypse it doesn't just need to be brown and black.

Seriously, Im loving the art style too. Anyhow no one getting this from Amazon and not using their Home code? Please dont get mad if I keep asking. I know there are some ppls out there not really caring about the artbook/figure, just a good deal. Like I said, cant buy this game till mid-late feb and will miss the code :(

kazuma_pt said:
what i'm finding really weird are the impressions that the 360 version is the one with more technical problems...
we'll just have to wait and see

It's a 1% difference in score though. Which means that the difference between the two versions is very minor. Not really a big deal at all.

SolidSnakex said:
It's a 1% difference in score though. Which means that the difference between the two versions is very minor. Not really a big deal at all.

oh these scores mean nothing to me. i already decided i want to play the game based on the footage i've seen this year.
i only have a ps3/wii setup so i have no intention of buying the 360 version either.
i'm just curious because this gen it's 90% the other way around (the technical problems i mean).
and i'm actually glad if it's true because that means most developers are coming to grips with the ps3 and with 2, perhaps 3 more years of life of the ps3, that's good news.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Working at GameStop has its perks. Lookie what I got!

book1.jpg

book2.jpg

book3.jpg

book4.jpg

book5.jpg

The universal code for unlocking The Harvester is included in the OP.

glaurung

Can you also unlock the Harvester scythe by simply playing the game?

I mean, does the code simply unlock it from the beginning?

ZealousD

glaurung said:
Can you also unlock the Harvester scythe by simply playing the game?

I mean, does the code simply unlock it from the beginning?

The Harvester is basically just a reskin of the normal Scythe with a soul collection bonus. You obtain the normal scythe near the beginning of the game, I'm assuming that The Harvester just replaces the normal scythe.

mjc

What's all included in that artbook? Is it just a couple pages of art and a full issue's worth of a comic by Joe?

I might reserve at GS if the book is meaty enough.

ZealousD

mjc said:
What's all included in that artbook? Is it just a couple pages of art and a full issue's worth of a comic by Joe?

The comic is actually only 22 pages long. There's about 68 pages of concept art. You also get a fold-out poster, which is basically identical to the cover.

DieH@rd

Banned
mjc said:

It has ~100 pages.

AshMcCool

The apparent quality of the game is a suprise to me. As if the next months doesn't have enough high quality games. Well, I have no money anyway, so I probably skip that one and get it much later.

bathala

Banned
ZealousD said:
The comic is actually only 22 pages long. There's about 68 pages of concept art. You also get a fold-out poster, which is basically identical to the cover.
Ok, sold

I'm a Joe Mad fan

mjc

Zeitgeister said:
Am I evil for preordering Mass Effect 2 but not Darksiders even if have been following Darksiders since its announcement?

It troubles me greatly.

You probably have reason to be cautious, what with Darksiders being a new IP versus ME2 as an established installment that will most likely be fantastic.

I still think Darksiders will be a good game. Nothing earth shattering but I'm expecting mid-to-high 8.whatevers from reviewers.

ZealousD

mjc said:
Nothing earth shattering but I'm expecting mid-to-high 8.whatevers from reviewers.

Pretty much all the early print magazine reviews are giving it 9's, though.

wtf why haven't i heard of this game before?

truthfully i did see the boxart on amazon a month or so back and thought it was some type of chess game or magic the gathering card game.

anyhow, i watched the preview on gametrailers and i think i'll get it on release date. the game looks to be pretty sweet, plus mark hamil is in it. but his voice in the game sounds a lot like the joker in batman and he said he wouldn't do it anymore! you money whore!.... actually he probably did his lines around the same time as his batman: AA lines

good thread friends, will purchase because of this thread leading me to more info

Dahbomb

Good to see the game getting good reviews. There needs to be competition in the action genre from all fronts, not just the Eastern front (ie. Bayonetta). I also like that this game is more adventure-like.

i tried out the bayonetta demo and didn't like it very much. i think i've had my fill of fast paced arcade style (DMC) action/shooter games cause i just wasn't enjoying it (although the graphics were cool).

do you guys remember that 4 horseman of the apocalypse game that Acclaim was doing before they went bankrupt? is darksiders at all related?

Arde5643

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i tried out the bayonetta demo and didn't like it very much. i think i've had my fill of fast paced arcade style (DMC) action/shooter games cause i just wasn't enjoying it (although the graphics were cool).

do you guys remember that 4 horseman of the apocalypse game that Acclaim was doing before they went bankrupt? is darksiders at all related?
Darksiders is more of Zelda meets DMC plus some God of War fatalities basically.

You'll see in some videos some platforming and puzzle solving using War's tools - which he'll gain a la Zelda/Metroidvania style. Go to dungeons, get a tool, solve puzzles, a bit of platforming, beat some bosses.

Top Bottom