• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Tain

I do like new games. New, more ambitious genres are exciting, as are new tech developments and the manpower needed to make the most of them. There are still plenty of new games I find myself excited about, and established genres keep hitting new heights.

i think it's a sorta arbitrary designation too. "classic" or the even more dreaded "old-school" aren't exactly fitting either.

I generally use "old" but it ain't flashy.

RM8

I love both new and old games. Really, it's awesome being able to objectively love and appreciate both. For me classic gaming is not a nostalgia thing since I love discovering games and platforms I missed back in the day.

andymcc

Banned
I do like new games. New, more ambitious genres are exciting, as are new tech developments and the manpower needed to make the most of them. There are still plenty of new games I find myself excited about, and established genres keep hitting new heights.

i like some new games in established genres but i hate most game narrative.

Linkhero1

My main issue with most (not all), new games is that it takes a while for the game to start. You have to go through logos, menu, story intro, and tutorials to the point where I'm disinterested by the time the game starts. Not to mention the load times are a buzz killer. It's one of the many reasons I prefer older games. I do love a lot of the newer games but it would be nice if they can minimize the time wasted waiting for the game to actually start.

andymcc

Banned
My main issue with most (not all), new games is that it takes a while for the game to start. You have to go through logos, menu, story intro, and tutorials to the point where I'm disinterested by the time the game starts. Not to mention the load times are a buzz killer. It's one of the many reasons I prefer older games. I do love a lot of the newer games but it would be nice if they can minimize the time wasted waiting for the game to actually start.

wholeheartedly agree. it's a shame that the series in your avatar is one of the biggest offenders on this front too.

Linkhero1

wholeheartedly agree. it's a shame that the series in your avatar is one of the biggest offenders on this front too.

Yep. My favorite game is Link's Awakening <3

I don't like where Zelda went and I'm afraid of what they're planning on doing with the next game.

I've done "Game Opinion Summary" threads for the following platforms:

Odyssey 2, Game Boy (B&W), Sega Saturn, Playstation 1, Nintendo 64, and PC Racing Games.

The threads have short summaries of what I think of every game I own for each console or category there, as of the last time I posted to the thread, whether or not I've actually played the game much or not. Earlier threads use the "short reviews of all the games I own for a system" title, but that was clumsy and inaccurate, since really "review" is a term that should be reserved for games that I've played a lot of... anyway though, they're good threads. Read them.

I've also made a good number of "lttp" threads over the years that include longer reviews of individual games. Maybe I'll make a list of links to those too...

Thanks for putting all the links into one thread, that is helpful for everyone who is just getting started. I have subs for all the systems I collect. I barely get any new games these days, so it's nice to talk about the older stuff with like minded people who genuinely enjoy them.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
These system-specific threads are good. Just the right scope for what they are and the audience present here, I figure. I'm glad they are around.

I really can't stand the use of the word "retro" to refer to old/classic games, but the internet's momentum is clearly against me on that one. :[

i definitely agree. the term implies something created with an anachronistic style and intent. most "indie" games definitely fit that description, but I don't think these games can really be called retro because they were mostly cutting edge when they were made.

i just say 'old games.' no need to be fancy.

Tain

Ooh. Similar fascination here, everything Amiga is uncharted territory for me.

In general European stuff is kind of lost on me. I need to spend more time looking into well-regarded older European games.

I feel like I have an idea of the generic European 90's platformer in my head. Lots of collectibles (often diamonds) bobbing in quick little waves, colorful but kind of goofy art, weird bulbous HUD fonts, and generally excellent music that is a little less reliant on a dominant catchy melody (unlike the Japanese stuff). Jim Power, Shadow of the Beast, Turrican, that sort of thing? I don't know.

But that's just one genre. Outside of that I've only played popular console games and some oddball PC stuff like the Elite series and Extase. I'm assuming there were a ton of great European strategy games, but are there late 80's/early 90's European action games I'm unaware of that stand up with the best of the Japanese ones?

andymcc

Banned
In general European stuff is kind of lost on me. I need to spend more time looking into well-regarded older European games.

I feel like I have an idea of the generic European 90's platformer in my head. Lots of collectibles (often diamonds) bobbing in quick little waves, colorful but kind of goofy art, weird bulbous HUD fonts, and generally excellent music that is a little less reliant on a dominant catchy melody (unlike the Japanese stuff). Jim Power, Shadow of the Beast, Turrican, that sort of thing? I don't know.

But that's just one genre. Outside of that I've only played popular console games and some oddball PC stuff like the Elite series and Extase. I'm assuming there were a ton of great European strategy games, but are there late 80's/early 90's European action games I'm unaware of that stand up with the best of the Japanese ones?

i grew up in a strange household. i'm american but my dad also had an Amiga 500 and a Commodore 64 in addition to all of the Japanese consoles. The European action games, especially the STGs, mechanics were always off some way in comparison to the Japanese ones and usually had choppy scrolling to boot.

so if any of you European computer game enthusiasts could also point me to something that will alter how i feel from my memories, please let me know.

IrishNinja

These system-specific threads are good. Just the right scope for what they are and the audience present here, I figure. I'm glad they are around.

I really can't stand the use of the word "retro" to refer to old/classic games, but the internet's momentum is clearly against me on that one. :[

can we just use the phrase "objectively better games" instead

i wanted to use "Classic" but Mark has that shit on lock

Nice thread Irish. Always this time of year I get a major hankering for 8 and 16 bit love.

Here's my NES Spring Challenge thread if any of you wanna partake. Im still working on StarTropics, Simons Quest & Metroid.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540483

gonna check it out now, thanks man!

There's this old Neo-Geo pocket thread also, but it doesn't get much activity. Lotta info though.

I've got 2 in a box somewhere, I should really see if they still work.

Please be more excited for the WonderSwan thread :(

nice ones, added!also used a few of Black Falcon's, thanks man

We either need an arcade gaming thread or more gaffers who collect/play arcade pcbs.

oh man i am so down for this

Fuck old games. Y'all need to get with the times.

this guy

Anyway, depending on my alcohol intake, I might start a Neo Geo thread in the near future. I'd like to do the inevitable PS2 one as well, but that's barely old-school enough to care about right now, so whatever.

yeah i was thinking about a PS2 one as well...with that library, it'd be great having a highlight of gems (there's so many SHMUPS i didn't even know about) and it'd be handy to put more people onto HDD loader, god knows it made games like Suikoden V a lot better for me

Looks like the Gamecube apperciation link goes to the SNES page =P

crap! fixing, thanks

All consoles? No Spectrum, Amstrad, C64, Amiga, Atari? Nothing?

You make me sad, OP.

we're working on it, man!

Yes Boss!

Over the last year I've been looking to get a One Chip MSX. They are hard to find and can be pricey but MSX is probably the one older system I wanna check out and learn about. It was only in the last few years I found out that there were actual carts and this huge world of releases, which I know nothing about at all.

gryz

Banned
Over the last year I've been looking to get a One Chip MSX. They are hard to find and can be pricey but MSX is probably the one older system I wanna check out and learn about. It was only in the last few years I found out that there were actual carts and this huge world of releases, which I know nothing about at all.

yeah since i have pretty much every system now, weird stuff like MSX and Sharp X68000 are next on my list

I love you RetroGAF.

I just bought 1080 Snowboarding. I'm hooking up the N64 this weekend and checking it out. Let's discuss what I'm in for.

IrishNinja

i'm all for collecovision, amiga & CM64 threads! actually, i should use Falcon's Magnavox Odyssey 2 thread now that i think about it.

really hoping BocoDragon or one of youse steps up for a good Upscaler thread, too!

Munin

Sorry to say that with a few exceptions, unlike many Japanese platformers, many Amiga platformers have aged pretty badly, due to an overwhelming clunkiness that is at least partly due to technical limitations at the time (scrolling speed and such). This got better by the time the Amiga 1200 came out but the ship was already half sunken by then. Doesn't help that a lot were supremely frustrating.

Here's a nice video of Amiga platformers, you can see what I mean several times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN66EpVdxsk

The premier Turrican experience is still on the Amiga though, due to the music.

IrishNinja

updated the list (and in the Genesis thread's OP as well), if anyone of you find a good Neo-Geo, Commodore etc thread please link it here!

jbueno

Great idea for a thread, old games are almost all I play nowadays. Would love to get into NeoGeo, Saturn, Genesis/Megadrive and PC-Engine collecting.

I'm conflicted.

On one hand I enjoy the hell out of these threads. Hell, I even made one of them. But on the other, I fear if these threads continue to be created, they're likely to be viewed by the powers that be as 'too much', resulting in them being shut down. Kind of how the assorted 'Game X' appreciation threads were axed a couple years ago.

Linkhero1

I'm conflicted.

On one hand I enjoy the hell out of these threads. Hell, I even made one of them. But on the other, I fear if these threads continue to be created, they're likely to be viewed by the powers that be as 'too much', resulting in them being shut down. Kind of how the assorted 'Game X' appreciation threads were axed a couple years ago.

They're more likely going to end up in community sooner or later. I don't think they would shut them down since they're still relevant to the gaming community.

IrishNinja

yeah, that was my only concern too...if we stay on the low, maybe we can avoid community - i felt it was a risk making this topic, but i totally wanted to find more threads/posters down for it

fuck yes - into the OP it goes, glad to see this one happen

Someone make one for the original Xbox, crazy underrated console.

crap, totally forgot this & it's an excellent idea, too many good titles lost to imperfect BC. i still have sega ones i wanna try one day!

Yes Boss!

I took a look at the thread. I dunno what it is about the sony systems but I never seem to think of the catalogs as anything outrageous. I must be missing the plot. I just don't really have any emotional attachment to them. Love the ICO and Shadow two-fer, though...my favorite games of all time.

Someone make one for the original Xbox, crazy underrated console.

I started my XBOX collection last month with Phantom Dust. Eager to add a few more like the Outrun game. I'd be curious in other hidden gems.

Yes Boss!

can't go wrong with the Sega titles. Gunvalkyrie is particularly underrated and very good.

Sega titles would be my initial interest. Only thing I really played on the system when it was out were the Splinter Cells. Ready to give Jet Set Future another go, too. I never really latched on to the Sega titles after they went third party...even skipping Billy Hatcher on the Cube.

I am limited to 360 playback, though. Good news is that OG XBOX games are very inexpensive.

RazorEdge

Banned
I love everything about that thread! :)
Just started to (re)collect! I will finish my studies in autumn and than finally (hopefully) move to a bigger place with the girlfriend where I can have my little mancave. ^^

Especially interested in an upscaler thread. Have a big sony crt, but 16:9 :(

RM8

I wish I could use a Phoenix Down on the WonderSwan thread. I may post a Lode Runner review of something :p

I'm a proud owner of a Sega Astro City and a modest collection of arcade games. It's been an interesting experience dealing with arcade stuff. Calibrating the monitor was no walk in the park, and troubleshooting some graphics issues on a few boards drove me nearly insane-- but it's been worth it. I'm not much of a collector, but I greatly value having the best possible experience when playing games I care about most, and that means hunting down original hardware.

I really learned to love arcade games while studying abroad in Japan, and I was fortunate enough to regularly visit some of the best arcades in the world. A lot of people talk about Tokyo arcades but the ones in Osaka and Kyoto are just as good, with equally exotic and rare offerings if you know where to look. Amusement SCOT in Den Den Town had an insanely cool collection on the top floor-- stuff you never see like Gun Frontier, Vulgus, Splatterhouse, Dark Seal, some weird Korean-made vertical shooters, IGS beat-em-ups, and an entire wall full of obscure fighting games that I did not recognize at all. Then one day I saw moving trucks and cabinets sitting outside on the sidewalk. It would be a damn shame if they closed down, but I like to imagine they relocated to make more space for their awesome collection to grow.

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm no expert, but if anyone has arcade questions I can probably answer 'em. A dedicated thread would be cool.

illadelph

Is the PS2 even considered "retro" these days? I'm of the school of thought that retro/old-school are those systems and games from the 5th gen and below.

Right now is a great time to grab some Gamecube/PS2/XBox games for your collection. Like yourself, many don't see them as retro....just as some "old" games.

Ya gotta play ahead of the curve.

Top Bottom