• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP RPGs for Vita, what to get?

I do not know which of these are on PSN or even on PSN and compatible with the Vita, but here are some PSP RPGs I liked.

Half-Minute Hero is awesome, although it is certainly not a traditional RPG. You basically play micro RPGs that last a minute or two at most, the idea is to speed through battles and level up quickly enough to take out the boss in each area. There is a demo on PSN that is not only unique from the missions in the full game, but will give you a good idea of what the game is like.

Gurumin is not an RPG, but most people tend to call it an RPG anyway so I'll mention it because it's simply one of my top PSP games. It's an action/adventure/platofrmer with crazy good music.

The Ys series has been mentioned enough but can never get enough praise. My preferred order of recommendation will be Felghana > Napishtim (not on PSN, sad face) > Chronicles >>>>>>> Seven.

Seventy5

Does anyone have the digital version of Phantasy Star Portable 1 or 2? I really want to know if it works on Vita because I want that game more than anything else on PSN store.

Perkel

Banned
Does anyone know if Final Fantasy Tactics: WOTL had its slowdown lowered or removed if you're playing on a Vita?

hmm, will test it. I will back few minutes.

edit: tested it

There are still slowdowns and sound issues. I think it didn't have anything with PSP power it was just poorly done.

Those slowdowns are only when you use skills that blacken screen like magic.

If you like FFT you should choose Tactics Ogre it is superior to FFt in every way. And PSP version on Vita looks and works awasome.

Grimmy

Banned
Alright, started playing Trails in the Sky. 2 hours in, I really like all the game mechanics the game seems to offer. I hope there is a good bit of rewarding exploration too. While walking through the first town once and talking to everyone I
"only" got one book out of it (and a bit of background story.)

Hopefully exploration will get a bit more exciting, but promising start.

Oh by the time you get to chapter 3 you'll find that the background story is pretty huge ;)

If you don't mind either disabling the voice overs (option in game) or using an undub patch. The European version of Tales of Eternia's a pretty faithful PSX port if you enjoy RPGs.

Be sure to get manual mode when you're in the Dojo, it's no fun using semi-auto in a 2D Tales game.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
If you like FFT you should choose Tactics Ogre it is superior to FFt in every way. And PSP version on Vita looks and works awasome.

So Tactics Ogre works great on the Vita? That sounds nice...

Lain

Does anyone have the digital version of Phantasy Star Portable 1 or 2? I really want to know if it works on Vita because I want that game more than anything else on PSN store.

I have Phantasy Star Portable 2 digital and it works on my Vita, but mine is the EU version of the game (bought off the Italy PSN store).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It appears that Brave Story, and Star Ocean parts 1 and 2 are both not on PSN :(

On a more postive note:
Some deals for those interested

Final Fantasy Tatics
Wild Arms XF
Half Minute Hero

YS Games
Gurumin

Tactics Ogre
Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky
(Wow at both of these only being 19.99).

I hope Atlus lightens up a bit on pricing, 39.99 still for Persona 1 remake...

Eusis

It appears that Brave Story, and Star Ocean parts 1 and 2 are both not on PSN :(
Brave Story WAS on, but has since been delisted. I wouldn't count on seeing it again, and we'll probably be lucky if it get Vita support. SO1 and 2 never were on PSN though, so I'm hoping SE (and other companies) start reaching into their back catalog/sorting out licensing and getting these games published there.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm in for TitS! Highly considering TO a my next purchase. Might break down and get FFT:WotL even if it's somewhat flawed... I'd much rather play it on my Vita than on an iPad T__T

I seriously, badly, desperately want those Persona games... but not at $40 each.

Still mad that I can't buy Brave Story. Missed that boat.

Even madder that I can't buy Birth by Sleep or FF7:CC. I hope SE hears the fans on these two games and finds a way to make it work. Disney doesn't want more money?

bunbun777

I picked up tactics ogre and trails in the sky both are lots a fun.

Why no love for Crimson Gem Saga? It looks really nice and it got decent reviews - supposedly a throw back to old scool rpgs - has anyone actually played it and enjoyed it? The 29.99 price is a bit daunting i want to hear something good.

Why no love for Crimson Gem Saga? It looks really nice and it got decent reviews - supposedly a throw back to old scool rpgs - has anyone actually played it and enjoyed it? The 29.99 price is a bit daunting i want to hear something good.

Dont. Waste. Your. Money.

Honestly it felt like i was playing Flash game.

Grimmy

Banned

The game has decent characters and some funny lines, but the game is ultimately underwhelming - especially the awful ending. Worth it for $9.99, but $29.99? LOLOLOL.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Brave Story doesn't even work on Vita? Glad I didn't rush to buy it just because they pulled it off the store. I almost did because I was thinking ahead to having a Vita too.

kuroshiki

Because it is an awful game. The game is heavily based on sneak attack (you attack the enemy while sneaking... so when it succeeds, the battle becomes easy. But when you failed to do so, prepare to be slaughtered)

There is no 2nd play round benefit because story is laughable, too easy to predict. I mean, story is really really bad.

Eusis

I suppose for Crimson Gem Saga I can play the iOS version I got for cheap if I ever feel tempted when it goes on sale or whatever.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Trails in the Sky
Tactics Orge
Half Minute Hero
Persona 3

BOOM. You'll never need to purchase another game for a year.

bunbun777

thanks everyone for saving me money and dissapointments on CGS - i think YS games will probably be the next ones i grab

or maybe MHFU i just dont know...

JWong

Banned
Jesus fuck! Why am I doing the same thing I did in the first Valkyria?

I'm just grinding a level 1 mission until everyone is max level...

Actually, I'm grinding some easy DLC mission that's like so easy to beat.

Eusis

Should've grabbed an extra copy of MHFU when it was on sale on Amazon. Now I'm obstinately refusing to grab it on PSN for now just because dammit I could've paid $13 less earlier! Or at least $10 less.

Actually, I wish I took better advantage of that Capcom sale period. Ghosting might've killed the arcade collections on the PSP-1000/2000 and still hampered them on the 3000, but on the Vita they would've likely been godlike.

KingK

I think I'm going to pick up TitS, VC2 (loved the first one on PS3, so idk why I never picked this up), and Jeanne D'Arc (and maybe one of the Ys games) to play over the summer. I'm going to be spending a couple weeks on vacation in Colorado, so I'm going to have a lot of time to play some handheld games.

kuroshiki

I think I'm going to pick up TitS, VC2 (loved the first one on PS3, so idk why I never picked this up), and Jeanne D'Arc (and maybe one of the Ys games) to play over the summer. I'm going to be spending a couple weeks on vacation in Colorado, so I'm going to have a lot of time to play some handheld games.

Dude.

Skip everything and get YS seven and thank me later.

Zee-Row

Banned
Brave Story doesn't even work on Vita? Glad I didn't rush to buy it just because they pulled it off the store. I almost did because I was thinking ahead to having a Vita too.

See this is the reason i won't support digital releases. i bought the UMD version of Brave Story so i'll still be able to play it no matter what.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah but the incentive for buying digital should be the guarantee that you can play your downloaded games on all Sony handheld platforms.

Sony really should step up and publish the games themselves, even if it's a minor loss. There are really only a handful of games not on PSN, and the "All PSP Games are also on PSN" monicker would be quite the useable phrase.

Of course, from my reading about MST3K, some content holders can be dickheads, and ask for outrageous fees or just refuse to give rights at all.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony really should step up and publish the games themselves, even if it's a minor loss. There are really only a handful of games not on PSN, and the "All PSP Games are also on PSN" monicker would be quite the useable phrase.

Of course, from my reading about MST3K, some content holders can be dickheads, and ask for outrageous fees or just refuse to give rights at all.
A handful? It's the large majority I believe.

JWong

Banned

You make it sound like publishing games is really cheap.

KingK

Dude.

Skip everything and get YS seven and thank me later.

That good, huh? I think I'll start with Ys 7 and TitS, then.

Best part about digital distribution is that I don't have to worry about the games becoming really rare and costing a shitton of money to buy.

Top Bottom