• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

.JayZii

Banned
The druid envy in the group is real.
Jesus Christ these are the challenge rating of 17 Kikis levels
Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)
Adult blue dracolich
Adult gold dragon
Adult red dragon
Androsphinx
Death knight
Dragon turtle
Goristro

https://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MM_MonstersCR.pdf
Challenge Rating of Monsters if anyone is interested can change into anything 17 or below.
She has to have seen it before and it can't be undead, though. I can't wait to see the craziness that this will create.

Famassu

I'm at Episode 22. There's been some epic shit, yo. The fight against the Beholder was insaaaaane, especially since it was immediately followed up by the epic escape without any room for a breather. The battle on the airship could have gone way worse. The White Dragon battle was intense with the ending, with one character knocking on death's door, another barely holding on and the fantastic counter-attack deadly blow by the guest star.

Btw, what's the spoiler tag policy in this thread? Only spoiler tag the last few episodes in case people haven't had the chance to watch the most recent ones of these long vids or spoiler tag everything spoilery from Episode 1 forward?

I'm at Episode 22. There's been some epic shit, yo. The fight against the Beholder was insaaaaane, especially since it was immediately followed up by the epic escape without any room for a breather. The battle on the airship could have gone way worse. The White Dragon battle was intense with the ending, with one character knocking on death's door, another barely holding on and the fantastic counter-attack deadly blow by the guest star.

Btw, what's the spoiler tag policy in this thread? Only spoiler tag the last few episodes in case people haven't had the chance to watch the most recent ones of these long vids or spoiler tag everything spoilery from Episode 1 forward?

There really isn't one set of spoiler rules since the thread has only recently gained in popularity with people starting the show over. So while many have taken it upon themselves to spoiler tage the last few weeks, it can't be gauranteed that everything will be.

So it's safest to try to avoid till you get caught up if possible.

I'm on like episode 17 or 18. I can see why Orion's style of playing got tiresome. He got all weird about going into the room with the Beholder, barely showed up to the fight but got the killing blow and was kind of an ass about it. I really enjoyed the character early on but sometimes I'm like damn dude just shoot a fireball and quit trying to macguyver up some telekinesis thing that after a long winded explanation Matt has to tell you it's a concentration spell so you can't fly at the same time. People have probably talked about Orion to death though but I'm late so give me a break.

.JayZii

Banned
I'm on like episode 17 or 18. I can see why Orion's style of playing got tiresome. He got all weird about going into the room with the Beholder, barely showed up to the fight but got the killing blow and was kind of an ass about it. I really enjoyed the character early on but sometimes I'm like damn dude just shoot a fireball and quit trying to macguyver up some telekinesis thing that after a long winded explanation Matt has to tell you it's a concentration spell so you can't fly at the same time. People have probably talked about Orion to death though but I'm late so give me a break.
It gets worse before it gets better, but the show gets so much better. I wasn't a fan of his from the beginning, but by the end of his time on the show I was just using the arrow keys and skipping ahead in 5 second increments until he stopped talking. You could see the whole room tense up every time he opened his mouth.

Rainy

Banned
I'll be honest I know nothing about D&D but I think I might start this tonight. I've heard really good things.

Maximo

I'll be honest I know nothing about D&D but I think I might start this tonight. I've heard really good things.

There hasn't been a single Tv Show/Movies/anything media related that I have been more in love with then Critical Role, you should do it! Start from the beginning don't skip anything just take your time.

I was the same. It also had the side-effect for me of learning the underlying and/or baseline mechanics of most RPGs. For instance, in some games your weapons do 3-18 damage. I never knew why and always thought "that seems so random". Now I understand its literally 3 d6 dicerolls. I digress...

Watch it. Its fantastic.

I was in the same boat. It's really fun. I just pop it on the iPad when I got some downtime using the Geek and Sundry youtube playlist. Some helpful commenters have bookmarked useful spots like when intros and breaks are over too.

I'll spoil this I guess because it's so great but I think when
Scanlan shat the scrying poop at Pike's recently unearthed temple to Sarenrae
was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on youtube. Couldn't breathe for a while.

Pilgrimzero

Dotteys drawings were hilarious. And Pikes reaction along with Tarrys. Plus the "benefits" of being in the group.

Pike "I'd never say no to you. Wait that came out wrong."

.JayZii

Banned
Dotteys drawings were hilarious. And Pikes reaction along with Tarrys. Plus the "benefits" of being in the group.

Pike "I'd never say no to you. Wait that came out wrong."
I was hoping the "benefits" conversation would lead to Pike telling him, "Yes. You're assigned partner is Grog. Good luck."

Famassu

This vampire fight was intense as hell. Damn @ dem damage numbers of the lady vampire. Like almost half HP from Grog in one hit. They really need a monk to join them as someone with higher chances of evading all of those spells & such.

Btw, what was the fight after that one? They almost immediately got into some other fight with some character called Broker or something (+ his allies). I kind of missed a lot of the setup for that (I was playing BOTE simultaneously and there was some hard shit and I wasn't paying attention for a while) and I'm not sure what caused it. It had something to do with Lilith, the guest character.

This vampire fight was intense as hell. Damn @ dem damage numbers of the lady vampire. Like almost half HP from Grog in one hit. They really need a monk to join them as someone with higher chances of evading all of those spells & such.

Btw, what was the fight after that one? They almost immediately got into some other fight with some character called Broker or something (+ his allies). I kind of missed a lot of the setup for that (I was playing BOTE simultaneously and there was some hard shit and I wasn't paying attention for a while) and I'm not sure what caused it. It had something to do with Lilith, the guest character.

Lilith was wanted for conspiracy and/or treason. Her family ruled whatever the area they are from and sent the Broker. He's basically a bounty hunter. The bounty hunter + 4 of his people would have been enough for Lillith, but they weren't expecting to fight people as strong as Vox Machina.

My main hang-up with that they joined that fight only because she was a player character. If you find out your companion that you've only known 45 minutes is a wanted fugitive, I don't think you kill her pursuers. Atleast, not immediately.

Lilith was wanted for conspiracy and/or treason. Her family ruled whatever the area they are from and sent the Broker. He's basically a bounty hunter. The bounty hunter + 4 of his people would have been enough for Lillith, but they weren't expecting to fight people as strong as Vox Machina.

My main hang-up with that they joined that fight only because she was a player character. If you find out your companion that you've only known 45 minutes is a wanted fugitive, I don't think you kill her pursuers. Atleast, not immediately.

Yup. That was my same problem with it. Way too chummy from the get go. I'm not saying they have to be abrasive to her but considering how they treat every npc that matt comes up with I'd think they would have been just a little bit apprehensive at first.

ep 90 spoilers
They easily handled a rakshasha when they were level 10. Why are they obsessed over this mook-level enemy. He's a featured extra. A nobody. They have slain dragons and beholders.They also complicate the platinum sanctuary. It's the citadel and focus for the strongest divine in the entire world. Why would you want to give it to the Raven Queen people which is not nearly as protected. And thats why it should have been Percy, Tary, and Keyleth at the Platinum Sanctuary. The Raven Queen plotline is the only thing that matters to Vax.

Just as I type this, Matt and Marisha just ranted along the same lines lmao

explain what happened.. i literally stepped away right after he pulled out the egg.
Doty made the warning sound, and then walked in with 2 guards he knocked out. Then Grog punched them in the face to make sure and broke their jaws. Then they started panicking and for a second there Grog was just gonna kill everyone.

ep 90 spoilers
They easily handled a rakshasha when they were level 10. Why are they obsessed over this mook-level enemy. He's a featured extra. A nobody. They have slain dragons and beholders.They also complicate the platinum sanctuary. It's the citadel and focus for the strongest divine in the entire world. Why would you want to give it to the Raven Queen people which is not nearly as protected. And thats why it should have been Percy, Tary, and Keyleth at the Platinum Sanctuary. The Raven Queen plotline is the only thing that matters to Vax.

Under estimating enemies is how most of them have died. Including Vax, Vex, and Percy. They're not just fighting a Rakshasha, they're going to the 9 hells to fight it in it's own home plane. It's not going to be a cakewalk. Also, Vex suggested the Raven Queen iirc

Under estimating enemies is how most of them have died. Including Vax, Vex, and Percy. They're not just fighting a Rakshasha, they're going to the 9 hells to fight it in it's own home plane. It's not going to be a cakewalk.

I mean,
Why even go after him? Now that they actively brought him up over and over again its a plot point, but i'm saying after they finished the conclave arc. I guess they needed to figure out stuff to do. I know going into the hells will be rough.

I wonder how they are going to cope living in a hostile area for days/weeks at a time without Scanlan's Mansion. They haven't done that since The Underdark/Trial of the Take.

I mean,
Why even go after him? Now that they actively brought him up over and over again its a plot point, but i'm saying after they finished the conclave arc. I guess they needed to figure out stuff to do. I know going into the hells will be rough.

I wonder how they are going to cope living in a hostile area for days/weeks at a time without Scanlan's Mansion. They haven't done that since The Underdark/Trial of the Take.

They're going after him because Matt pretty much said it's a blood feud with the Rakshasa. He's already came back once and nearly killed Vax. He's going to try it again. They need to kill him on his own plane to finish him. They really don't want to do this but it's necessary to tie that loose end up, specifically due to the shapeshifter nature of the thing. He's the reason they insight check everyone they meet and why they've been even larger dicks to everyone they meet.

Someone will have a thing or alternate spell. Or Taryion will buy safety somehow. How much money did Matt allow him to have anyways?

Brashnir

Been marathoning this the last few weeks after finally starting it up. Up to ep 83 now.

Pike is the best.

Keyleth is the worst.

That's all I really have to say.

The druid envy in the group is real.

She has to have seen it before and it can't be undead, though. I can't wait to see the craziness that this will create.

It's also a concentration spell.

Ridiculous lmao

It gets better.

- they sold a dude a Basilisk egg and told him that it was a magic egg that would make him strong.

- he left to the backroom.

- all of what Jay said happens.

- Grog then pulls an entire cask out of his Bag of Holding and begins pouring it all over the guards.

- They go through an entire ordeal of trying to prop them up realistically.

- Grog intimidates Tary into vomiting in order to "sell" the scene. Sam rolls a fucking NATURAL TWENTY to vomit.

- The shopkeep comes out of the backroom just as Tary is fisting himself in an attempt to vomit.

But yes, the moment where Grog got super serious about just killing everyone was hilarious as fuck.

.JayZii

Banned
I enjoyed the fun of the last two episodes, but I'm starting to feel like Milhouse and the fireworks factory with their trip to hell.
ep 90 spoilers

Am I crazy to feel like Liam/Vax is kind of a glory hog? Whether it's steering the plot his way or his almost universally dreadful long winded "conversations" where he pulls someone aside and just monologues to them and leaves, he really gets on my nerves sometimes.

It's also a concentration spell.
She's a warcaster and most of the forms she'll take will probably have high constitution, but yeah. I'm excited for the terribly timed form drop while she's carrying the party over lava or something.
Watching this episode now. I don't know if it was intentional, (I'm guessing it is) but it cracked me up how all of Taryon's descriptions of his father are basically describing Donald Trump.
I picked up on that too. I thought he was going to go all in on that, and I think the rest of the cast was giving a him a knowing look when he started describing him.
It gets better.
- The shopkeep comes out of the backroom just as Tary is fisting himself in an attempt to vomit.
I believe he was swording himself.

Brashnir

I enjoyed the fun of the last two episodes, but I'm starting to feel like Milhouse and the fireworks factory with their trip to hell.

She's a warcaster and most of the forms she'll take will probably have high constitution, but yeah. I'm excited for the terribly timed form drop while she's carrying the party over lava or something.

I picked up on that too. I thought he was going to go all in on that, and I think the rest of the cast was giving a him a knowing look when he started describing him.

I believe he was swording himself.

yeah, warcaster helps (as someone who plays a Druid with the feat in a 5E campaign) but it only goes so far when the DC is 45 because you just got hit for 90 damage.

Am I crazy to feel like Liam/Vax is kind of a glory hog? Whether it's steering the plot his way or his almost universally dreadful long winded "conversations" where he pulls someone aside and just monologues to them and leaves, he really gets on my nerves sometimes.

I feel you. Matt feeds into it with the
fate-touched
stuff, so I'm hoping it will lead somewhere eventually. They each get their shine though (except Pike), so its mostly ok.

I could definitely forego the frowny-face conversations for sure.

.JayZii

Banned
I feel you. Matt feeds into it with the
fate-touched
stuff, so I'm hoping it will lead somewhere eventually. They each get their shine though (except Pike), so its mostly ok.

I could definitely forego the frowny-face conversations for sure.
Vex really, really needs a solo plot line. Preferably one that isn't her being worried about her brother.

IGrog's Uncle

That was so shoehorned in.

Probably not going to happen considering how close to the end they're getting.

I predict that we'll get at least three more chapters, putting us around 130 episodes total. But who knows? Maybe Matt is trying for the SDCC panel to be the final episode. Which would be really fucking cool, actually.

Chapter 7: Hortis

Chapter 8: Leading up to fight Orcus

Chapter 9: Orcus

And possibly a Chapter 10 simply being epilogue.

Vex really, really needs a solo plot line. Preferably one that isn't her being worried about her brother.

I don't think Laura has shown any inkling of wanting to have something separate from Vax. The only time they ever split up or stood on their own feet was the
Trial of the Take
. If they were to change the dynamic of Vex no longer being codependent, it would have to be after the next time skip.

I don't see why not. It could be fit in as an element to other quests like Grog's Uncle and the monk guy.

Where though? Right now there just tidying up loose ends and once that's done there's going to be a time skip and then on to the final campaign arc. With all that and Matt saying that he's going to try and get ashley some character development while she's on break from Blindspot, I just don't see how he could do all that within 3 lvls left of gameplay.

And that's not even counting if he & Marisha are going to take some time off for their wedding/honeymoon.

edit #2: I'm really curious how long a stretch of time this skip is going to be. I'd love for it to entail years and not weeks/months. Go with a whole "getting the band back together" sort of vibe after they've lived their lives separately. It felt that way when
scanlan left with kaylee

.JayZii

Banned
Where though? Right now there just tidying up loose ends and once that's done there's going to be a time skip and then on to the final campaign arc. With all that and Matt saying that he's going to try and get ashley some character development while she's on break from Blindspot, I just don't see how he could do all that within 3 lvls left of gameplay.

And that's not even counting if he & Marisha are going to take some time off for their wedding/honeymoon.
I don't know what the final arc is actually going to consist of, so I can't say. Her having her own plot line doesn't really need to be more than an episode or two, though, so I don't see it as unlikely.

That was so shoehorned in.

I predict that we'll get at least three more chapters, putting us around 130 episodes total. But who knows? Maybe Matt is trying for the SDCC panel to be the final episode. Which would be really fucking cool, actually.

Chapter 7: Hortis

Chapter 8: Leading up to fight Orcus

Chapter 9: Orcus

And possibly a Chapter 10 simply being epilogue.
Grog's herd was a little shoehorned in with being so directly connected to the vestige, but I enjoyed the encounter.

The final episode being a live show would make me sad. The dynamic is different in front of an audience and the time constraint is much more strict on a panel. I wouldn't want them rushing on the last episode. Your prediction leaves out Vecna too, which unless he's connected to Orcus somehow, would be a weird plot thread to just leave under Whitestone.

Pilgrimzero

I don't know if it's her character or just her but Kelieth is the worst.

Also death is so meaningless now. It really takes away from the game when one of them dies. I hope Matt figures out a way to deal with this in the next game.

Also I wonder how much better they would do with an actual arcane caster and Cleric there all the time. The Wiz leaving and not being replaced was a noticeable gap and then Pike is rarely around either.

.JayZii

Banned
I don't know if it's her character or just her but Kelieth is the worst.

Also death is so meaningless now. It really takes away from the game when one of them dies. I hope Matt figures out a way to deal with this in the next game.

Also I wonder how much better they would do with an actual arcane caster and Cleric there all the time. The Wiz leaving and not being replaced was a noticeable gap and then Pike is rarely around either.
I think Keyleth's awkwardness is partly in character, but Marisha and her defenders really overplay that as an excuse for any weird decision or lacking of comprehension in in-game situations. I've seen her say a few times on Talks Machina that she's actually nothing like Keyleth, and that's just bullshit, lol. I'll be interested to see what happens in the next campaign when her next character is also awkward.

The crazy thing is that Matt's rules for resurrection are harder than the rules as written. I'd be okay if he made it a bit harder, especially in this final arc of the campaign.

I think it's more interesting that the group is a pretty ragtag bunch who isn't optimized at all. I think Vox Machina's kind of poor group makeup
especially after Scanlan leaving
lends itself to more interesting roleplaying situations than the standard party makeup might, and this group of players is 90% about the roleplaying. I'm sure their next campaign will have a wizard/sorcerer/warlock and a cleric each being played by one of the main six, though.

Brashnir

I think Keyleth's awkwardness is partly in character, but Marisha and her defenders really overplay that as an excuse for any weird decision or lacking of comprehension in in-game situations. I've seen her say a few times on Talks Machina that she's actually nothing like Keyleth, and that's just bullshit, lol. I'll be interested to see what happens in the next campaign when her next character is also awkward.

I think there are times when she deliberately plays up Keyleth's awkwardness - usually when interacting with the party - but as soon as she starts any even slightly-important interaction with an NPC (or doing anything in a major combat) there's a completely different kind of awkwardness which doesn't seem put-on.

You can usually tell which one it is by whether or not she's flailing her arms about in bizarre poses, or trying to put on her tough-girl face.

Now that Sam is playing Taryon's awkwardness up in such a ridiculously charming way (Seriously, Taryon is the best-worst character) it's even more jarring.

Grrrrrr. I'm not able to do WonderCon (unless I make $200+ really right away), but at least the panel will be streamed.

I think there are times when she deliberately plays up Keyleth's awkwardness - usually when interacting with the party - but as soon as she starts any even slightly-important interaction with an NPC (or doing anything in a major combat) there's a completely different kind of awkwardness which doesn't seem put-on.

You can usually tell which one it is by whether or not she's flailing her arms about in bizarre poses, or trying to put on her tough-girl face.

Now that Sam is playing Taryon's awkwardness up in such a ridiculously charming way (Seriously, Taryon is the best-worst character) it's even more jarring.

I used to think that this group was just playing a bunch of slightly ego-centric people that only do the good thing when it's in their interest, but now I slowly start to realize that they just don't really do group play that well.

I mean, individually, these characters are great. But honestly, Grog and Pike are really the only ones that do group play well.

On Alpha today they put out an episode of CelebriD&D with Joe Manganiello. Basically like the D&Diesel one shot with a more generic title for possible future guests. In addition to Matt DMing, and Joe, they have Chobot and Dan Casey playing their D&Diesel characters, and Marisha and Taliesin playing their Critical Role characters, but everyone is only level 5.

Top Bottom