• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

Macstorm said:
Anyone else feel that VC1 is to VC2 what Final Fantasy Tactics was to FFT Advance? Gameplay focus over story. Story-based progression versus "One more mission" feel. Moved from console to portable. Mature war story to childish antics. VC2 and FFTA both had systems that annoyed people (credits, judges). Eh, maybe I'm crazy, but it just seemed like a similar comparison to me.

People forgot to quote the rest of this.

FFTA wasn't bad but different in terms of focus... VC2 is the same. Just liek you said VC2 feels more gameplay over story type of deal, but so far I don't mind.

I will say for some reason placing units before each mission is the worst thing in VC2 since in VC1 it was just one area.

harriet the spy said:
I am not talking about money or XP here - only about credits.

The system is flawed, though. I have about 8 certificates for Avan, and like 2 for a random engineer that i have barely ever used. Some other teammates are stacking the X and II credits, but don't have certificates (though I do now have my Alexis Fencer <3 <3 - but no Marina sniper </3 :( ).

Ah, quick question, I wanted to try the gunner, and since Avan has enough certificates to change classes back and forth, I made him one temporarily. Is it me or do gunners suck big time? I can see how they would be of use in very particular situation, but they don't seem very flexible at all.

You don't have to kill every enemy unless that's the mission goal. As far as getting credits goes, deploying more people means more credits. If you don't care about your rank then you can deploy as many people as you like as long as you don't fail the mission.

To get credit for the less useful troops (engineers, armor techs), I usually deploy them to kill an enemy, heal an ally, or disarm a mine near a camp then run them back to the camp and standby. This uses 1 CP and doesn't clog up the deployment limit. Troopers and lancers should have no problems getting tons of credits as they are the two best classes. Scouts can often get credit by capping camps and killing the occasional enemy. What I usually do to ensure an A rank and a high credit count is rush troops/lancers to capture every camp, which stems enemy reinforcements, then spend the remaining CP on mopping up using everyone else. I have recorded some mission playthroughs that I'll uploading to youtube soon.

Gunners are good for several situations, but mostly camp defense. Avan as a gunner isn't too bad of an idea because you have to deploy him for his CP anyway, so you can make him useful while parked at a camp. There's also the aiming trick, where you get up very close to an enemy then fire 'through' them, so even though your gunner is firing a 'spread' shot, all the shots are landing directly on the enemy. Works great for crouching enemies.

daoster

75+ hours, and I've finally beaten the game!

Ending was kinda cheesy (nowhere near as satisfying as VC1's ending), but man it was a fun game.

The story, of course, wasn't that good, but it had some potential, so I'm disappointed that the game didn't expand on it. Still, some points in the VC2 story could play a part in the future game
(in this aspect, I'm sort of disappointed that VC3 takes place during VC1)
, so it'll be interesting to see what happens next in the VC timeline.

For the most part, I liked the characters (even the main ones). I mean, they're basically typical shonen character stereotypes, but I have no problems with that. I like that they do get some development to them, which is something I thought kinda lacked in VC1 (excluding of course, the Edy DLC).

The gameplay, is of course, VC gameplay on the go, and I love that. I love having a tough as hell time on a certain mission, and really rethinking my strategy for success...be it characters deployed, classes used, the initial placement of my characters, and what kind of tank to use. This is the thing that really sets it apart from most other SRPGs.

I liked the class system, added a little individuality to some of the characters, but of course, you can't talk about the class system without the horrible credits system...and the other people in this thread have talked about the horrors of the credits system enough :p

I was able to at least see most of the classes (other than the non-fencer side of the armored techs) so that's okay.

Overall, I was extremely satisfied with this game, despite its flaws. VC3 seems to take care of most of these flaws anyways, so bring on VC3!

I dunno if I want to touch the post-game stuff, cuz now it's on to KH: BbS!

Giolon

Today's Community BLiTZ is up!: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/09/2...-blitz-special-edition-part-ix-one-step-more/

The news on DLC is out - and the price is... $4.99 for all 22 missions (2 of which are the Gamestop Pre-order DLC). That's quite a deal. Japan paid $1 per mission.

Today's got a bunch of codes:

Phantasy Star Zero Rappy Sticker - HPF2B7ASMWV5798U
Alternative G Cadets (Engineer
Aliasse
, Lancer Cosette, Armored Tech Zeri) - NL45TX9F8VRSUKGR
Rodin Sticker - YLBWA9UFTHQ3ZM1E
Dr. Ivo “Eggman” Robotnik Sticker - GVFX8GA73FDWHQUS

Also announced is that tomorrow will be the last day of the BLiTZ with 5 codes given out.

Updating OP and Post 5.

Giolon said:
Today's Community BLiTZ is up!: http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/09/2...-blitz-special-edition-part-ix-one-step-more/

The news on DLC is out - and the price is... $4.99 for all 22 missions (2 of which are the Gamestop Pre-order DLC). That's quite a deal. Japan paid $1 per mission.

Today's got a bunch of codes:

Phantasy Star Zero Rappy Sticker - HPF2B7ASMWV5798U
Alternative G Cadets (Engineer
Aliasse
, Lancer Cosette, Armored Tech Zeri) - NL45TX9F8VRSUKGR
Rodin Sticker - YLBWA9UFTHQ3ZM1E
Dr. Ivo “Eggman” Robotnik Sticker - GVFX8GA73FDWHQUS

Also announced is that tomorrow will be the last day of the BLiTZ with 5 codes given out.

Updating OP and Post 5.

I think you got that mixed up. The DLC 22 missions for 4.99 is right, but the GameStop pre-order bonus missions are in the code giveaway tomorrow, not the paid DLC.

Giolon

TSA said:
I think you got that mixed up. The DLC 22 missions for 4.99 is right, but the GameStop pre-order bonus missions are in the code giveaway tomorrow, not the paid DLC.

I'm not sure. One of the comments in the blog seems that might be the case, but the Freshman Cadet Guide lists 22 missions and the Gamestop missions are in that list (by comparison, the PSP2 missions are not), and the blog says the DLC pack contains 22 missions. Additionally, the code given away by Gamestop for those two missions were PSN store codes, not VC2 in-game codes.

In any case, we'll find out in about 24 hours.

Hamblasto

Giolon said:
If you think they're going to give us 22 missions for $5, then I say you're crazy. I'm expecting a $10 price point, but they may be crazy enough to go for $15. They charged $1 per mission for these things in Japan (where they were sold individually).

I guess I am crazy... and SEGA thinks that way too, apparently.

I'm actually a bit freaked out about how many of my random shots in the dark have been right during the BLiTZ (Faldio, Maximilian, DLC).:lol

I'm also a little bummed that the second community BLiTZ is coming to an end. I'm going to miss checking the SEGA blog for news on new codes and bonuses.

Edit: Sticker Stats for those of you who still care to read them.

Rappy: Improves AP and vs personnel attack - AP+5, VsPsnl+5

Rodin: Improves HP and vs armor attack - HP+5, VsArmr+5

Dr. Eggman: Improves fire crrctn and suppression - Suprss Up, AcCrct YES

Giolon

Hamblasto said:
I guess I am crazy... and SEGA thinks that way too, apparently.

I'm actually a bit freaked out about how many of my random shots in the dark have been right during the BLiTZ (Faldio, Maximilian, DLC).:lol

That's right, you called the $5 price point. I guess you win the Internet now :lol No way did I see that coming, but maybe SEGA's far less optimistic about the strength of VC2 to carry serious DLC sales.

But hey, you're not gonna see me complaining over the price! I'm sold. :D

In gameplay note, I've been sitting in November for 3 or 4 days trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to class some people up before I head into the big finale. Marion's finally a Heavy Gunner and I got a Melodist. Now, if only I could get a Mauler and an AT Sniper T.T...

So apparently there's a Cptd A1 gatling you can get in May, but it's a low random drop off an ace. It's a ridiculously powerful turret that makes most of the game a joke (I didn't get it, of course.. not willing to go back and grind for it). Most of the DLC weapons are similarly crazy (google translate link).

cquinones

Neo Member
I'm kinda late to the credit system party. How long did it take you guys to get the chance to change classes for some of your characters? I haven't been replaying any missions to get the credits, hoping that by just playing I would start racking up the necessary credits. I also don't use all of my characters for each mission I play.

I'm in March (about to do the story mission) and I've only been able to get two characters to be allowed to switch... What am I doing wrong? Or am I missing the point?

Giolon

mjemirzian said:
So apparently there's a Cptd A1 gatling you can get in May, but it's a low random drop off an ace. It's a ridiculously powerful turret that makes most of the game a joke. Most of the DLC weapons are similarly crazy (google translate link).
Yep I have that! It's ridiculously OP.

In other news, the Community BLiTZ Finale is up at the US Playstation Blog: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ii-community-blitz-finale-dlc-and-free-codes/

Today's codes:

•Free Code #1: After Burner Climax Tank Sticker: C9SAGP8M7PJ84H5S
•Free Code #2: Resonance of Fate Tank Sticker: UJH5YB4Z7E33VCJT
•Free Code #3: Nei (Phantasy Star II) Tank Sticker: 9H1FHVBV2YAZE3A1
•Free Code #4: Unlockable Character Emelia (From Phantasy Star Portable:2), two new missions, and a Little Wing tank sticker: FSHL2DTP1EVB52AN

Supposedly these are the end of the codes. We're missing quite a few stickers that Japan got (Bayonetta sticker anybody?) and some characters (Anime Alicia, Julius, Mintz, etc.) No word on what's up with them. Updated OP and Post #5.

Edit: On the missing characters, RubyEclipse said on the ValkyriaTribune twitter feed that he's seen them in the English build (and was even playing with Anime Alicia) but doesn't have codes for them so he'll look into it. He also said this in the comments on yesterday's BLiTZ post: "Based on what I saw today, there might also be more hidden in the game besides what we plan to finally reveal tomorrow. I’m checking it out now." Personally, I'd say don't get your hopes up.

Giolon said:
Yep I have that! It's ridiculously OP.

Yeah I don't see why they felt the need to add a low drop, ridiculously OP item early in the game. A small number of people will completely tear up the game with it, while the rest are left scratching their heads. That's a good example of randomness done wrong. Anyway once the DLC weapons start passing around, the whole game will seem like a big joke, considering how powerful they are.

cquinones said:
I'm kinda late to the credit system party. How long did it take you guys to get the chance to change classes for some of your characters? I haven't been replaying any missions to get the credits, hoping that by just playing I would start racking up the necessary credits. I also don't use all of my characters for each mission I play.
You'll do fine on average with promoting to 2nd tier as long as you're getting credit for a large number of people per mission. You can check who's earned credits during a mission by pressing select.

My main team is finally all top tier. All classes unlocked. Now comes the long grind to level 50. The mission pack should be a breeze since I'm done grinding for credits. At 96 hours, it ranks up there with Final Fantasy Tactics and Cardfighter's Clash as my personal biggest time sinks.

Macstorm said:
Anyone else feel that VC1 is to VC2 what Final Fantasy Tactics was to FFT Advance? Gameplay focus over story. Story-based progression versus "One more mission" feel. Moved from console to portable. Mature war story to childish antics. VC2 and FFTA both had systems that annoyed people (credits, judges). Eh, maybe I'm crazy, but it just seemed like a similar comparison to me.
This is one of the worst comparisons I've ever heard. VC2 is an awesome game. FFTA....not so much.

Hamblasto

More Sticker Stats:

Afterburner Climax: Imprvs vs personnel atk, fire crrctn - VsPsnl+5, AcCrct YES

Resonance of Fate: Improves AP and side critical def - AP+5, AilRes+5

Nei: Improves critical def and morale - AilRes+5, Morale+50

The Little Wing stats were posted a few pages back, but just for convenience:

Little Wing: Imprvs HP and rear defense slightly - HP+5, Rr Def+2

Giolon

The DLC is up! You can find it via search. It's titled Valkyria Chronicles 2 DLC Pack 2 for some odd reason. A single "Valkyria" search should find it.

I can confirm that the pack contains the missions that were previously pre-order bonuses.

Giolon said:
The DLC is up! You can find it via search. It's titled Valkyria Chronicles 2 DLC Pack 2 for some odd reason. A single "Valkyria" search should find it.

I can confirm that the pack contains the missions that were previously pre-order bonuses.

Got it ty.. do I have to download each individually? ugh. Even installing the DLC is a grind.:D

The DLC seems to be very useful for people who hate grinding. You can get Arms X, Attk X, Sppt X, and Mrch X from the 4 exercises vs Class C-F. If someone needs one of those certs, getting them credit on those missions guarantees them the credit.

Phenomic

Giolon said:

Are they just all side missions? Are any of them story related at all like the VC1 DLC? 5 bucks is pretty cheap but I don't necessarily want to do 22 more missions for the heck of it without some story incentive. Loving the mess out of this game but about to be in November and I'm starting to want to be done with it. Plus Lords of Shadow is Tuesday gotta make time for that :D

AleeN634

Phenomic said:
Are they just all side missions? Are any of them story related at all like the VC1 DLC?

Just bought the DLC. Lordy, queuing up 22 separate files isn't fun at all. In response to your question, they're all pretty much side missions. If you ever read any of the Blitz articles that's about all the story you get for the missions as far as I can tell.

cquinones

Neo Member
mjemirzian said:
You'll do fine on average with promoting to 2nd tier as long as you're getting credit for a large number of people per mission. You can check who's earned credits during a mission by pressing select.

Cool. We'll see how it goes. Just got to April.

Also... This my first PSP game. I got the system and VC2 with some rewards points. I'm liking things so far. Any other games I should check out (strategy / rpg)? Give me some good games to play.

I should add that I want recommendations on games similar to this. I don't mean to throw this topic off.

duckroll

I'm surprised that even after beating the game, I'm still playing it on and off every other day. Lots and lots of content, and honestly playing through missions using a brand new squad filled with characters I didn't use before is a lot of fun, especially when it unlocks more events and eventually more classmate missions. I like the classmate stories way better than the main story in the game too.

glaurung

cquinones said:
Cool. We'll see how it goes. Just got to April.

Also... This my first PSP game. I got the system and VC2 with some rewards points. I'm liking things so far. Any other games I should check out (strategy / rpg)? Give me some good games to play.

I should add that I want recommendations on games similar to this. I don't mean to throw this topic off.
Get Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne d'Arc and Patapons.

anddo0

So is the DLC worth it?

I've been taking a break from it since completing the story mode.. 85 hours logged, I'm kinda burnt out.

daoster

Not that this is any real news (or a surprise....), but over at the Playstation Blog, Aaron Webber mentioned this in the comments section:

VCII’s success or failure will probably play a big part in that decision [bringing VCIII over], so we’ll see how the game is doing soon. The launch week was good, but the weeks after are also still important.

Hopefully the DLC will also boost support a bit and get the game back on people’s radars – every copy and DLC bundle helps!

So...everybody, buy 10 more copies of VC2, tell everybody you know to buy 10 copies of VC2, have THEM tell everybody they know to buy 10 more copies, and so on.

Cuz somebody's going to have to die if VC3 doesn't come out in the West...

radiantdreamer said:
Disgaea was good too, but I found that FFT was a happy medium. Disgaea started to get way too complicated compared to most TBS games.
I found that to be the most drawing feature for me. I loved being able to manipulate every stat on every character and weapon.

daoster said:
Not that this is any real news (or a surprise....), but over at the Playstation Blog, Aaron Webber mentioned this in the comments section:

So...everybody, buy 10 more copies of VC2, tell everybody you know to buy 10 copies of VC2, have THEM tell everybody they know to buy 10 more copies, and so on.

On a Topic related note... I am picking up the DLC today so you can take me off the hit list.

Still on March myself but that's because I am grinding for certain squadies to advance. Credit system is cool but the implementation of it sucks ass.

Sqorgar

Banned
daoster said:

Sega says that with EVERY game they bring out. If the difference between VC3 coming out or not is a guilt trip, then we should write off VC3 now. I bought VC and VC2. If VC3 doesn't come out, the blame is squarely on Sega. Not its fans.

Sqorgar said:
Sega says that with EVERY game they bring out. If the difference between VC3 coming out or not is a guilt trip, then we should write off VC3 now. I bought VC and VC2. If VC3 doesn't come out, the blame is squarely on Sega. Not its fans.

THIS. I'm actually surprised and saddened that Sega has stooped to this sort of guilt trip tactic. I honestly think that VC2 is a spectacular game. Sega itself needs to push it if it is to succeed. It's not the fans job.

On another completely different note, what the hell is with
disheveled Cosette lancer?
Her potentials suck so bad. :lol
joke character?

Hamblasto

radiantdreamer said:
THIS. I'm actually surprised and saddened that Sega has stooped to this sort of guilt trip tactic. I honestly think that VC2 is a spectacular game. Sega itself needs to push it if it is to succeed. It's not the fans job.

On another completely different note, what the hell is with
disheveled Cosette lancer?
Her potentials suck so bad. :lol
joke character?

I took a quick look at their potentials yesterday and noticed that their potentials are mostly opposites of their "regular" counterparts.

I doubt I'll be switching them in anytime soon (only three people haven't been promoted to their third class), but it's pretty cool that they all have alternate character portraits and potentials for double movement.

AwRy108

Sqorgar said:

Agreed.

duckroll said:
I'm surprised that even after beating the game, I'm still playing it on and off every other day. Lots and lots of content, and honestly playing through missions using a brand new squad filled with characters I didn't use before is a lot of fun, especially when it unlocks more events and eventually more classmate missions. I like the classmate stories way better than the main story in the game too.

I like the classmate missions too. Did you try the DLC? Some of the credits will alleviate a lot of your complaints about grinding and random rewards.

As for PSP tactics games.. visit this link, ctrl+f, PSP, highlight all

mjemirzian said:
I like the classmate missions too. Did you try the DLC? Some of the credits will alleviate a lot of your complaints about grinding and random rewards.
This... I'm only starting May (I've been too busy to play much), but the DLC missions are great for grinding... The vs. Classes missions each give a single X Credit (Arms X, Attack X, Support X, etc.), and they're long enough that you can get everyone in your line up into the mission for one or two turns without effort... I've managed to get the credits I needed to promote most everyone to second tier just from five or six seperate DLC missions I played today... I wonder if there's one that pushes out Certificates...

Giolon

The reward distribution on the DLC missions is indeed interesting (there's at least one 3 star mission that only rewards Diplomas and Certificates). The question is - how time consuming/difficult are these upper tier missions that are rated like Lvl 90?

I guess I'll find out once I get around to beating the game. I'm still sitting in November. :( Finally got a Lancer Elite and a Gunner Elite yesterday - still no Mauler, Heavy Scout, Anthem Elite, Sniper Elite, or AT Sniper. T.T I'm determined to have them before I finish the game. Curse you, SEGA.

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
. I wonder if there's one that pushes out Certificates...
I just finished one that gave all of my troops certificates and diplomas. I also got 500,000+ exp off of a solo mission with Avan. So far the DLC is pretty awesome.

Phenomic

Just started November and read that I'm 38 hours in. My god I've been playing this game for a long time and totally didn't even realize it, just proves how good they design Valkyria games.

Phenomic

So I'm doing a Yellow Mission in December and I don't remember the name. You gather crates or whatever those missions are. I found one of the boxes is on top of a hill that I can't get too. There's wood blocking my way in all directions. How do you clear these pieces of wood, given you actually can.

Ahh never mind apparently you can Smash them with a giant hammer. Sorry for the unnecessary post bump, though kinda funny I made it all the way to the end of the game and never cleared one of those. :lol

Phenomic said:
So I'm doing a Yellow Mission in December and I don't remember the name. You gather crates or whatever those missions are. I found one of the boxes is on top of a hill that I can't get too. There's wood blocking my way in all directions. How do you clear these pieces of wood, given you actually can.

Ahh never mind apparently you can Smash them with a giant hammer. Sorry for the unnecessary post bump, though kinda funny I made it all the way to the end of the game and never cleared one of those. :lol

Holy shit. I never knew this. Would have saved me a lot of time.

Giolon

Phenomic said:
There's wood blocking my way in all directions. How do you clear these pieces of wood, given you actually can.

You can also destroy them with a grenade. It's something that I think might've been taught to you in VC1, but wasn't particularly well explained in VC2. Anytime you see that sort of box icon on the minimap, it's an object that's destroyable by a grenade (or Armored Tech wrench swing).

Fencer swords seem to not break sandbags, so I don't think they break boxes or logs either, but I haven't actually tried.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Ok...so when I first started the game, I thought
Alexis was female. Then I look at the yearbook info after some daily life dialog makes it seem like Alexis is a guy.
I ended up with Morris and Mischlitt as the sole armored techs on my primary group, so I didn't get much story progression from the other. But so I'm going through all the missions in the after-game, and finally getting some of the story,
it turns out that Alexis is a girl after all?
Did anyone else end up having that reaction? I suppose I should have just trusted my instinct on first appearance.

Disappointed with how broken the games difficulty/challenge is. All you have to do is grind until you get the Cptd AA1 Gatling (available in March) and you'll be able to lay waste to everything up to November with it. Once you hit August grind Avan into a double action/double movement fencer and he'll be able to solo entire zones, and grind the rest of your team to 3rd tier as well. All of the DLC weapons are hilariously overpowered compared to anything you can research. There's also grinding for more materials/parts/promotions/potentials, etc.. for some reason I don't have the required materials to research half the stuff in R&D.

The game is about as full of holes as the original VC was in terms of easy and broken ways to negate most of the difficulty and strategy. And where is hard mode? If there's an easy and normal, why not hard?

Anyway, I'm in October, not grinding and not using any DLC weapons. Game's easy enough as it is. Also disappointed that there are no ex-hard maps.

duckroll

The Cptd AA1 Gatling is very, very broken. I'm really disappointed in how unbalanced it is. For what it does, it should definitely be much heavier to balance it off.

Top Bottom