• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo WFC Online Activity (W/E May 27th)

Bo130

For all main regions, 5 new online games got released this week. Only one of them manage to enter the Top 10 (Mario Strikers at #3!), but remember I keep track of all the latest games in a section below as well. This week marks as the first week with two Wii-games in the Top 10 as well as the first week above 1M connections for Pokémon Pearl.

---------------------This weeks Top 10---------------------

Right now I won't separate the list in DS / Wii, but I will do this, as more games get released for Wii.
New games on the Top 10 is written in bold.

1. Pokémon Diamond - 1,460,474 connections
2. Pokémon Pearl - 1,007,074 connections
3. Mario Strikers Charged Football - 399,569 connections
4. Animal Crossing: Wild World - 360,855 connections
5. Mario Kart DS - 294,993 connections
6. Metroid Prime Hunters - 201,480 connections
7. Jump! Ultimate Stars - 128,872 connections
8. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - 108,299 connections
9. Tetris DS - 71,347 connections
10. Pokémon Battle Revolution - 51,781 connections

For comparison, last weeks chart:

1. Pokémon Diamond - 1,395,022 connections
2. Pokémon Pearl - 949,767 connections
3. Animal Crossing: Wild World - 372,978 connections
4. Mario Kart DS - 293,370 connections
5. Metroid Prime Hunters - 202,067 connections
6. Jump! Ultimate Stars - 119,847 connections
7. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - 103,915 connections
8. Tetris DS - 67,307 connections
9. Final Fantasy III - 53,172 connections
10. 42 All-Time Classics - 47,705 connections

---------------------How about those latest online releases?---------------------

Europe | Mario Strikers Charged Football | 399,569 connections
Europe | Custom Robo Arena | 17,018 connections
Europe | Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales | 4,454 connections
USA | Marvel Trading Card Game | 461 connections
Japan | Jissen Pachi-Slot Pachinko Hisshouhou! Sammy's Collection Hokuto no Ken Wii | 1,609 connections

---------------------Upcoming onlinegames---------------------

Europe:
* Planet Puzzle League [DS, June 29th]
* Pokémon Diamond & Pearl [DS, July 27th]

America:
* Planet Puzzle League [DS, June 4th]
* Pokémon Battle Revolution [Wii, June 25th]
* Picross DS [DS, July 30th]
* Mario Strikers Charged[Wii, July 30th]
* Heroes of Mana [DS, August 14th]
* Madden NFL 2008 [Wii, August 14th]

Japan:
* Itadaki Street DS [DS, June 21st]
* The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass [DS, June 23rd]

---------------------Additional information---------------------

* Total number of connections for the week was 4,640,137, up from last weeks 4,104,941.

* Pokémon Diamond & Pokémon Pearl had a total share of all the connections made this week of 53.18%. The games in the Top 10 was responsible for a massive 88.03% of all connections.

* The game closest to Top 10 this week was Final Fantasy III with 46,590 connections. Just behind it was Clubhouse Games with 46,446 connections.

---------------------Feel free to ask!---------------------

As always - if you want information on a game not mentioned in the first post, please feel free to ask. I'll gladly give them to you :)

Great work by Strikers, given that game has only been released in Europe. Should be a massive hit online once it comes out everywhere else.

Thanks once again Bo.

Will Strikers convince Nintendo that online is an integral part of console gaming? It seems like the only reason to get the game is the online multiplayer. Hmmm.

Kenka

Holy f.......

btw, did you have the occasion to watch Strikers french ad ? It's quite....disruptive :lol

Parl

titiklabingapat said:
Will Strikers convince Nintendo that online is an integral part of console gaming? It seems like the only reason to get the game is the online multiplayer. Hmmm.

They're aware of its relevance, which is why they've put a good amount of effort into their online framework. Doesn't cater very well for the niche though.

Nintendo's online success is impressive. DS and Wii are casual consoles, so their online attach rate is bound to be leaps and bounds lower than something like the 360 which has aggressively pushed online. EVEN STILL, their casual and family friendly infrastructure has given them amazing online success for such casual systems.

Alkaliine said:
Great work by Strikers, given that game has only been released in Europe. Should be a massive hit online once it comes out everywhere else.

Thanks once again Bo.
As others have pointed out it was officially released on Friday. Plus there were problems throughout the whole weekend. I think it has a shot at beating Pearl.

nli10

Superb!

Proud to say that a good 15 or so of those connections for Strikers were me - it seemed to kick me off lots to begin with but seems much more stable now. Am I right in thinking that it has been increacing day on day so far?

Hopefully this is the beginning of the 'people taking Nintnedo Online Seriously' wave, it's certainly seems like Strikers is the first 2nd generation Wii game to me - no way this one could be done with 2 GC and some duct tape!

Eteric Rice

Phife Dawg said:
As others have pointed out it was officially released on Friday. Plus there were problems throughout the whole weekend. I think it has a shot at beating Pearl.

Yeah, I hope this means it's selling well. It sounds like a good game.

Jissen Pachi-Slot Pachinko Hisshouhou! Sammy's Collection Hokuto no Ken Wii uses Miis. How does the friend code stuff work on it?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That's not a bad showing for Striker's first few days online connection. I do feel the fact that it is the first fully online home console Nintendo game has helped boost the popularity somewhat, but that's no less of an impressive thing regardless.

That coupled with the positive feedback in the NeoGAF thread about the game (and a bit of office chat here about the game on its release date) makes me think that Mario Strikers will greatly outsell the original, with a smaller userbase too.

Hurrah!

Neomoto

Strikers is doing incredible! I still need to pick it up (deciding factor is the - from what I know - awesome online multiplayer). Hopefully this is the beginning of what will make more and more developers use online in their games :)

Pokemon keeps doing amazing, nice that Pearl has more than a million to.

Edit: Seems like it's true that third party's can do what ever they want with online in their games. From Nintendo Power:

Madden 08

- Exhibition match-ups
- Online lobby with real-time leaderboards
- EA Locker features
- EA “My Profile” when online, which includes country of origin, win/loss record, defensive percentage, overall ranking, and 5-star reputation score
- ESPN ticker updates
- Promised downloadable content such as roster updates planned for late 2008, early 2009
- Friend Code Implementation: Unknown as of right now, interface will be similar from other versions. Wii players will be able to randomly play against an opponent.
- No voice chat, but will offer EA’s instant-messaging system

Fifa 08

- Instant head-to-head action with worldwide gamers
- Up-to-the-moment roster updates
- Virtual League which will allow players to join online tournaments
- Offline: Full Mii roster functionality with mini-games and more.

This is very good news imo!

nli10

Good point - is Jump Ultimate 3rd party? If so it seems that the 'online play' obsessed west has missed the boat and the Japanese are the leaders in the nintendo Online world.

Ramenman

Kenka said:
Holy f.......

btw, did you have the occasion to watch Strikers french ad ? It's quite....disruptive :lol

Yes it is :lol

Have it there.

In the very end it says "everybody can win an online game with Mario Strikers Charged Football on the Wii"

Edit :
Offline: Full Mii roster functionality with mini-games and more.

So basically you can play some Fifa Minigames with your Miis ? EA got it right with the family thing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
titiklabingapat said:

the single player is pretty good, if you have another person to play with it's great as well.

RBH

Neomoto said:
Strikers is doing incredible! I still need to pick it up (deciding factor is the - from what I know - awesome online multiplayer). Hopefully this is the beginning of what will make more and more developers use online in their games :)

Pokemon keeps doing amazing, nice that Pearl has more than a million to.

Edit: Seems like it's true that third party's can do what ever they want with online in their games. From Nintendo Power:

Madden 08

- Exhibition match-ups
- Online lobby with real-time leaderboards
- EA Locker features
- EA “My Profile” when online, which includes country of origin, win/loss record, defensive percentage, overall ranking, and 5-star reputation score
- ESPN ticker updates
- Promised downloadable content such as roster updates planned for late 2008, early 2009
- Friend Code Implementation: Unknown as of right now, interface will be similar from other versions. Wii players will be able to randomly play against an opponent.
- No voice chat, but will offer EA’s instant-messaging system

Fifa 08

EA has really been stepping it up for the Wii, it seems.

Now if they can just fix the waggle controls for Tiger Woods '08, I'll be a happy person. :D

RBH said:
EA has really been stepping it up for the Wii, it seems.

they arent really that loyal to one place. When the DS first came out, they just made games for it just to have games on it, after it became popular they actually put effort into the games they put out for it. At the same time, they started to care less for the PSP.

radiuhm

Neomoto said:
Fifa 08

Very excited for Fifa 08, can't wait to show everyone the true power of the NIGERIAN SUPER EAGLES! Great news about that Mii roster functionality, can't wait to hear more info about it. Also does the worldwide gamers head-to-head mean I can play someone in the UK etc?

Bo130

nli10 said:
Am I right in thinking that it has been increacing day on day so far?

No, but except sunday, yes. There was problems with the connection all through the weekend, so it might change next week.

ant1532 said:
Are these all separate IP connections?

No, these are number of connections, not number of unique connections.

Waru: To answer your PM: Collection of data from Nintendo's Wi-Fi site, through WFCStatus.net. For some reason it doesn't allow me to send you PMs.

Kenka said:
Holy f.......

I'm not sure what you mean...

oh this :lol

1180371879gafsplooge.gif

Top Bottom