• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I ordered my first laptop, opinions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've pretty much gave up PC gaming, aside from still playing Civ games or Sim I've decided to go to consoles and abandon my desktop/desk/chair etc..and finally break down and buy a laptop.
Yeah, I know, I'm a little late to the party. Seems everyone has or has had one yet I've always been a desktop only guy.

I'm no spec expert, even with desktops I would just spend a bunch thinking "money = quality" and as long as they played the newest PC game on high settings I was happy.

So if ya guys could, give me an opinion on my first laptop purchase, Here it is, cost meabout $750 which isnt to bad right?

Model: HP Envy Touchsmart 15-j020us

HP+ENVY+TouchSmart+15-j020us+(2).jpg

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...22UA?HP-ENVY-TouchSmart-15-j020us-Notebook-PC

- HP ENVY TouchSmart 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive
- AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-5550M Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 8550G graphics

Telaso

Banned
Its a HP.... I'm sorry...

Edit: I guess for the price you could do worse. If you are just playing Civ and what not on say medium maybe med/low you shouldnt have a problem. HP's over heat like crazy though, so make sure to not set it on any sort of cloth while playing.

SUPREME1

Banned
Should have gotten one with a SSD and gotten a portable hdd instead for saving files.

Keeps it running fast yo.

Edit: That's said, looks sexy.

bro1

Banned
So I've pretty much gave up PC gaming, aside from still playing Civ games or Sim I've decided to go to consoles and abandon my desktop/desk/chair etc..and finally break down and buy a laptop.
Yeah, I know, I'm a little late to the party. Seems everyone has or has had one yet I've always been a desktop only guy.

I'm no spec expert, even with desktops I would just spend a bunch thinking "money = quality" and as long as they played the newest PC game on high settings I was happy.

So if ya guys could, give me an opinion on my first laptop purchase, Here it is, cost meabout $750 which isnt to bad right?
Return it. You overspent by a mile.

You probably want a SSD on a laptop. Like a 128 or 256gb.

I just got a i7, 8GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, and a Nvidia graphics card for 750$ a few months ago.

Laptops almost as fast as my desktop. SSD is crazy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought a second laptop from Staples for around $400 on sale. I'm not using it for gaming, but I'm sure I can run those two games. It's a Toshiba.

LQX

Ugh, when will people learn to make these threads before buying a product?

And man, would love to see the specs on your gaming PC if you abandoned it for that. Paid way too much if all you intend to do is to surf the web or type a few papers.

I've only had two experiences with HP laptops...and both times those experiences were not pleasant.

I'm starting to get the feeling you didn't get the best value for your money, OP.

Isn't there a really nice Lenovo gaming laptop
in that price range? Y500 or something? I'm on my phone so it'll take me a minute to look into it. I desktop game but I look through that thread sometimes just to keep up with the state of the market.

Yes I have the y500 and it was only 150 more than his laptop.

Thing is a beast and you can add a second graphics card to it.

On the bright side, if someone invents a time machine you can always take it back to the 80's where HP was good and where that particular laptop might be better than anything else on the market.

Unlike Microsoft, HP is in dire need of gaf marketers.

Is there a intel model? Might be worth checking out for exchange.