• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we ever going to see another Advance Wars?

tzare

Great Little War Game might be the closest thing on iPhone. There's a few others that I can't recall the names of. None of them were anywhere near as good as AW though, imo.

edit: I think the other ones on ios were Mecho Wars and UniWar

thanks! will check. i think something released on PSN recently was also similar to adance wars, i can remember the name though.

Firemind

AW1 is clearly the bestest because Strum! I wish they'd go back to split routes again instead of unlocking missions as you go on the world map. Added so much replay value depending on whether you went with Andy, Max or Sami. It also made the final battle epic as hell, especially if Eagle was one of your wingmen because SURPRISE BUTTSECKS. Though for War Room content, DS takes the cake. Love going through the War Room to try to chip off a few days with a random CO. Spent hundreds of hours this way. So disappointed DoR didn't have one. For what it should have made up for, the online portion, it blew. Got so many DQs.

I guess I'd be content with any AW at this point. Greenlight it, Nintendo! Pretty please?

LeleSocho

Banned
~ Tag Power

The Tag Powers marked a bit of a special moment for me and my DS when I first used them, too. I remember I was staring at little sprites on a single screen, when suddenly both screens lit up in a massive blaze of light and huge art and this song kicked in...I was officially blown away by my console for the first time.

Please bring back Advance Wars Nintendo! I love the characters and music in 1-3 and really want them to star in another game!

Glad to see that i'm not the only one who love to hell Tag Power theme.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think we will. Days of Ruin was an excellent game but a rather awkward change from previous entries, it didn't come out in Japan and didn't do that well in the US/EU. The franchise is just on hiatus along with F-Zero and several others. Nintendo will get round to it eventually.

I like the Wars games, but I never seem to be able to muster up
enough enthusiasm to finish them. The Fire Emblems are a different matter,
probably because you are fostering your units and managing your items
throughout the game, instead of each chapter having absolutely no effect on each other.

DoR, was pretty good though. I guess I just enjoy darker games more.

Looking at Japanese sales of the series, it's easy to see why Fire Emblem is
the more important franchise for Nintendo. The Wars games are released much
later there (if they are released at all).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Dual Strike >>> Days Of Ruin

Feel sorry for the anyone who acted on the bad advice.

Dual Strike is a badly balanced and often cheap game. Days of Ruin's tone might not have been to everybody's taste, but the strategy gameplay was streets ahead of Dual Strike.

Games like Advance Wars, Nectaris/Military Madness and R-Type Tactics/Command are what I want to see on 3DS (and Vita). It would be a dream come true. At much as I prefer RTS games like Herzog Zwei, I still can't get enough turn-based strategy gaming.

I hope so. And I hope it uses the darker tone of Days of Ruin but adds all the content of Dual Strike.

i am not selling (yet) my 3DS because i HOPE that Nintendo releases a new Advance Wars within a year or so, it is , with MKart, my favourite IP from them.
Meanwhile i'll stick to replaying Ds' ones and maybe see if Field Commander is on PSN to play on my Vita, it plays the same, but it lacks soul.

Why in the world would you sell your 3DS this early in the handheld's life? Be honest with yourself: you'll see something you want later and buy another one.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Personally I preferred the GBA AW titles over Dual Strike.

Never looked into Days of Ruin cause I didn't like the new look, and the reviews weren't all that great for an AW game. It's real cheap, so maybe I'll grab it for my 3DS this weekend.

As for the topic, I'm sure we'll see a new AW title. I do hope they go back to the light hearted look of the previous titles though, and online play is a must.

krYlon

Loved Days of Ruin, one of the best pure strategy games out there.
Good to see it get some love on this thread. I much preferred it to the unbalanced Dual Strike.

I'd really like to see another Advance Wars that concentrates on strategy the way that DoR did.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
mario golf and a new advance wars would make me a very happy 3ds owner. I'm already pretty chuffed with the mario drives a car/mario runs around/zelda combo.

I had Days of Ruin for my DS but never got a chance to get into it before it got stolen.
I loved Dual Strike though, played it endlessly. I actually got it free with the purchase of my DS back in 2005 or 2006.

You guys forgot about the coolest character from Days of Ruin:

300px-Gage.jpg

I'm only kind of joking.

Vard

I certainly hope we get one sooner than later. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll buy a 3DS when there is a new Advance Wars to play.

Machine

AW1 is definitely my favorite although Days of Ruin is a close second. AW2 and DS just didn't hold my attention as much for some reason. In AW2, I found the pipelines to be an irritation and quit about 2/3 of the way thru the campaign. I can't even recall what it was about DS but I only finished about 1/2 of the campaign before I lost interest.

Cat Party

Strategy games are why I bought a DS and they are the only thing that will get me to buy a 3DS if they ever come out with decent ones. My only AW games are Dual Strike and Days of Ruin. I have to echo the complaint about pre-Days of Ruin AW games where they treat war like a game. I loved Dual Strike in spite of that, but it was so distracting. Days of Ruin ditches that silliness and better balances the units.

Only problem with Days of Ruin is the RIDICULOUS final map which I never beat.

Ra1den

That map was insane. It was the only time in any of the Advance Wars games, going all the way back to the original on GBA, where I said "fuck it" and got help from a guide. There was a very specific route (or maybe a couple)you had to take, and without it, you'd get slaughtered with no chance to complete it. This was the most puzzle like map ever created in an AW campaign IMO, and there wasn't much of any room for improvisation. That's part of why I didn't feel like trying to figure it out.

Boney

Banned
I've always thought final maps have been kinda ridiculous but in a good way. BHR still holds the place in my heart.

Ra1den

I've always thought final maps have been kinda ridiculous but in a good way.

I agree, other than Day's of Ruin's which took quite a different route and forced you to make all the optimal moves and win the battle within a handful of turns, rather than the epic final maps of prior ones.

Kunan

I would love an Advance Wars 3DS that has 3D models done up to look just like the sprites, so that they bump out properly in 3D. Anything more than that would be too much.

+1 as well to loving the War Room in DS!

For a while we were getting a new entry in the series roughly every two years. If they are going with polygons for Advance Wars 3DS, that could explain a longer development time. *tries to remain hopeful* Maybe we'll see some sort of announcement/teaser at E3. *crosses fingers*

ghibli99

This thread reminds me that I need to give this series another chance. I always get caught up on trying to get highest rank, and when I don't, I get discouraged and stop. OK, AW1, we will meet again soon.

Conor 419

Banned
I loved Days of Ruin but I'd happily see the series go back to the classic character selection and themes.

A new AW in the old AW style but with 8 player online and a fuckload of new features would be fantastic.

As long as the next one loses the grimdark and those boring things they called characters in Days of Ruin, then bring it on. But keep that balance, please! I still prefer Dual Strike over Days of Ruin, was more fun.

Didn't play an Advance Wars game until DoR, I enjoyed it but I can't beat the last mission, it's beyond ridiculous. Makes for a long and crushing multiplayer as well where I always lose to my friends artillery spam, curse my penchant for flying units!

I got Dual Strike a fair bit afterwards, it's okay but I don't like it anywhere near as much, I have no problem with the lighter tone but it's hard to care too much with the CO's being all jolly and the enemies acting like bumbling goons, yeah DoR may have had some wierd flower virus fluff but it was at least marginally compelling. I actually played a bit of DS earlier due to this topic, I was on chapter 18 and i'm reminded that Dual Strike just keeps introducing too much stuff, each chapter feels like a pseudo tutorial for a new enemy unit (the last one I did being the ooze thing), I just don't feel the campaign in this one at all.
That and the Tag Powers are just too much.

I do enjoy Advance Wars but it doesn't hook me like Fire Emblem does. Still i wouldn't say no to another entry.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Dual Strike's a hot mess. The CO swapping was ridiculously unbalanced and seperating battles between air units and ground units was a stupid, transparent gimmick for the DS's two screens.

By far the worst Advance Wars.

Hylian7

I love the entire franchise, but DoR is easily the most balanced and fun the series has ever been. Honestly I was still surprised at the creative nature of the characters, especially the villains, despite it being a grimdark art style.

I mean, they had a schizophrenic loli that talks to her teddy bear, come on, how the fuck is that not awesome?

DoR was certainly amazing, and the storytelling as a lot different. Granted, I would have no problem with them going back to the original style either, they just need to not make everything so overpowered like it was in Dual Strike. Eagle using a Dual Strike? FUUUUUUUUCK THAAAAAAAT!

Also, that last mission in DoR.......FUUUUUUCK THAAT!

Blizzard

Banned
Can we all just agree that Dual Strike had awesome replay value, Days of Ruin had balanced gameplay, and let everyone be happy? =P If you can enjoy both, even better!

I'm suprised to see so much love for DoR. I disliked the new units and new tone, but that might be because I was burned out on the series. It was the first game in the series I didn't beat.

Dual Strike for best AW, IMHO.

I've sunk over 100 hours into each of these damn games, but overall I still think the GBA original is my favorite. I did really appreciate DOR's re-evaluation of about everything though, it's probably the best and most balanced one even if not my favorite.

Brakara

At least, while waiting for a new entry, Nintendo should provide us with the GBA games on the eshop (I've only played DS and DoR) ...

Blizzard

Banned
At least, while waiting for a new entry, Nintendo should provide us with the GBA games on the eshop (I've only played DS and DoR) ...
This is probably one of the big reasons, besides old pokemon versions, that I still have my DS lite. I like my DSi, but the DS lite can play the old advance wars carts that I had to brave eBay to find. If only Nintendo some day released official emulator versions to be sold on Steam! :p

GSR

Can we all just agree that Dual Strike had awesome replay value, Days of Ruin had balanced gameplay, and let everyone be happy? =P If you can enjoy both, even better!

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner. DS had so much content it's not even funny, but DoR's gameplay was stronger.

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner. DS had so much content it's not even funny, but DoR's gameplay was stronger.

Balanced isn't always better.

You can take your soullessly even multiplayer chess matches. I'll be cackling maniacally as I use an Eagle + Sami double strike to capture an HQ from 22 spaces away in one turn!

Blizzard

Banned
Balanced isn't always better.

You can take your soullessly even multiplayer chess matches. I'll be cackling maniacally as I use an Eagle + Sami double strike to capture an HQ from 22 spaces away in one turn!
And that's why I'm saying there's something for everyone. :p I happen to like both games, and some people like one or the other, but at least it's all there in the series.

Jintor

That map was insane. It was the only time in any of the Advance Wars games, going all the way back to the original on GBA, where I said "fuck it" and got help from a guide. There was a very specific route (or maybe a couple)you had to take, and without it, you'd get slaughtered with no chance to complete it. This was the most puzzle like map ever created in an AW campaign IMO, and there wasn't much of any room for improvisation. That's part of why I didn't feel like trying to figure it out.

It was hideous. The worst thing was if you didn't follow it precisely you'd lose about 3 turns in but the game would go on for like another 8 turns before you realised you were going down with the ship.

Brutally, stupidly unfair.

Most of this thread is, like, a weird bizarro Nintendo thread where people are dismissing incredibly designed, honed and crafted gameplay because the aesthetic is 'too mature'.

Aesthetic's a valid reason to like or dislike a game. Though DoR does have superior gameplay I think.

I love all of the AW games, but I'm always sort of surprised to see how attached people are to the silly characters. They're paper-thin and, like "Wars World" itself (fucking Wars World, Christ...), exists only to justify the gameplay. Which was fine (lord knows I've seen much worse in my time gaming) until they tried to be sort of serious in Dual Strike's story. That was embarrassing.

And yet people shit all over Days of Ruin, which had characters and a storyline with actual depth! Not a ton of depth or originality, but at least it wasn't a bunch of 12-year-olds inexplicably commanding Lucky Charms armies.

It's tough, but once you realize that there's no way to overpower the bosses' units and that you'll have to start treating it like a timed map, it isn't so bad. It takes a lot of trial and error, but I did it without resorting to a guide.

And Days of Ruins' lack of content (compared to any of the games, but especially Dual Strike) is a big problem.

Dual Strile gets my vote. You can play that game over and over. I spent the entire summer of 2009 playing it.

I really hope they make a new AW. It was my first (and actually, only) strategy game.

Thores

I liked both DS games, but I probably lean more towards Team Dual Strike. I just really like the "high fives and hamburgers!" tone of the whole thing, since it made the franchise really stick out and feel unique. Days of Ruin was a great serious war game, but serious war games are kind of a dime a dozen. The win quotes in DS were also probably my favorite part of the entire game.

YOU JUST GOT DROPPED LIKE A PHAT BEAT

Koren

I'm also leaning toward dual strike. I wouldn't say that the game is unbalanced, by the way. Both sides play with the same rules. Granted, you get a huge advantage in some turns, but technically, you get it because your opponent make a mistake: dealing damage without making a severe or killing blow. The CO gauge doesn't fill by itself! It fills when you take damage... You just have to play with that in mind.

I find a huge advantage wis those mechanics: a battle won't last dozen of turns. It's a match that will be resolved with good players in small times. I like tacticals where you gain foot little by little in long games, but in Advance Wars, I love the part where the small advantage (be the first to fill the gauge and have an army to use it effectively) technically end the match. That's perfect for a portable game.

Besides, I had a blast getting 300s in the whole war room in Dual Strike (as in previous ones), with additional "requirements" such as not using the most effective capacities/COs. I never get such fun with Days of Ruin.

Top Bottom