• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Dark Souls: The Board Game

Eurogamer:
Prepare To Dice

Following a disgustingly successful Kickstarter campaign which closed out a full $3.7m over its $50k target, Dark Souls the Board Game is finally finished and ready to ship. Steamforged games kindly sent me a copy ahead of time, which I used to make the video review embedded below. As I dove into the very heavy box (the core set alone weighs in at a hefty 3.4kg), however, I found my mind repeatedly coming back to a comment during the initial kickstarter announcement from Steamforged Games - "Prepare to die. Because this will be the hardest board game you have ever played."

The thing is, while that statement certainly fits thematically with the Dark Souls franchise - or, at least, the way the Dark Souls franchise is marketed - it's not a great fit for a board game. Having an improbably hard board game isn't something to be proud of.

That's not to say I don't like a challenging board game, of course, especially when it comes to cooperative games that put everybody in the same boat, but unbeatable boardgames have a tendency to become unplayed board games. I can see my copy of Forbidden Desert - a game I have beaten all of once - from where I'm typing this, for instance, and the best it can expect from me for the foreseeable future is a suspicious scowl.

As I unpacked Dark Souls the Board Game and its sumptuous miniatures, in other words, I worried that Steamforged had shipped an imbalanced product for the sake of living up to Dark Souls' reputation for difficulty. Thankfully, I was swiftly proved wrong.

Just as the game assets have been recreated with great care, Dark Souls the Board Game also does a great job of capturing what it is that makes the souls games so compelling: not that they're hard per se, but that they're exacting. They exercises in failure, yes, but also in repetition and keeping your wits about you.

More at the link.

hotcyder

Is it coming to Switch?

Board games do run pretty well on the Switch

tumblr_ogbrwxKzyM1qkf2r5o2_1280.png

(stealthplug)

Man y'all are no fun, it's really interesting to see how they took something as quintessentially videogamey as a boss encounter in DS and translated it to the language of table top games. I'd definitely love to pick this up if it weren't so expensive

Ok serious post, I had no idea this was a thing but I'm interested, my problem would be rounding up enough friends to play it to make it worth my while.

Rookhelm

I've ordered this as well...looking forward to it.

I just wish the core game came with a little more, especially considering they destroyed their KS goal.

they offered so much as "extras", which would add up super quickly if you wanted to buy them all.

hank_tree

I've ordered this as well...looking forward to it.

I just wish the core game came with a little more, especially considering they destroyed their KS goal.

they offered so much as "extras", which would add up super quickly if you wanted to buy them all.

Yeah I'm pretty happy I got in at the KS and got like 6 of those expansions for "free".

Edit:
I will probably never play this but I will paint the SHIT out of those figures.

Really wish Bloodborne had gotten a proper tabletop game and not just a crappy card one.

The Bloodborne game is a tonne of fun. Also a lot more affordable than DS.Probably easier to get to the table to cos it's short.

RagManX

My son wanted me to support this on his behalf so we'd get the game, but I just couldn't afford it. Need to watch the review videos and see if skipping this turned out to be a good thing for me.

Plum

Kind of regretting cancelling my pledge for this now. If not for the figures alone this seems like a good thing to have.

"Reviews for Dark Souls:..."

w6AAA.gif

"...The Board Game"

fox-mulder.gif

Souls fanboy hype train needs some brakes applied apparently, shame on me!

Starviper

Amazon has it up for preorder for $119. I'm kicking myself for forgetting to back this as you get a bunch of expansions and the base game for £80.

Yuuup. Super glad I got on board. Was a little wary and coming into this thread I was half expecting a bad review, but it actually sounds like they did a great job. Can't wait to get this in the mail and actually run through it with friends :D

That the quote in the OP implies that Forbidden Desert is some sort of unbeatable challenge is an interesting note to take from that review; especially in terms of judging how hard the game is.

If he found DS more manageable than Forbidden Desert (which is not that terribly difficult), Dark Souls should not be too insane. So that is good for my group.

hamsjams

Very excited to play my copy when it arrives. It having a singleplayer mode means I'll get more mileage out of it than most board games.

Me and a buddy went in and split the cost of the kickstarter plus a bunch of the extras when the survey launched. I really hope this shows up soon!

Jinaar

Backed and awaiting my game. Bought initially for the minis but I never did read it originally that it can be played by one person. Ohhh I'm down for that.

I initially backed the Kickstarter but then changed my mind. I love Dark Souls, but I was a bit wary of all the Kickstarter extras hype. I love tabletop games, but some of the gameplay I saw didn't really grab me. I can wait, since I have a ton of other games to play. I did back the Superhot card game though. That looks fun.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
This was the closest I ever got to kickstarting something. The mechanics looked pretty well thought out. I'll buy the full set + expansions when it's all released.

Chris R

Stretch goals included a ton more figures and there were also add ons for boss expansions. These kind of things seem to be super popular on Kickstarter at the moment, but I'm not into having dozens of figures if I don't really need them.

You can check them out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

Seeing all the extra stuff included for backers makes the $120 Amazon is charging for the core game seem even more expensive :( Oh well, maybe I'll find a copy in a Goodwill or something 10 years down the road.

Stretch goals included a ton more figures and there were also add ons for boss expansions. These kind of things seem to be super popular on Kickstarter at the moment, but I'm not into having dozens of figures if I don't really need them.

You can check them out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

I'm not much into figs. Dark Souls theme makes them slightly more alluring, though, but I'd be just as happy with tokens or whatever. The size growth between regular enemies to bosses does add a nice bit of visual drama.

Although costly, if the game is popular enough it will likely get an insert like one of these, which can make organizing/setup very nice.

Eusis

You were expected a Dark souls game to be stealth released? I don't understand.

"Reviews for Dark Souls 4: Revealed, Reviewed, and Released the same week!"
Maybe he's really excited to see more people review the original Dark Souls? Some people have very specific interests.

Paltheos

Man, this was a much trippier (and more interesting) experience when I read the topic title simply as 'Reviews for Dark Souls: The Board Game' as opposed to the intended 'Reviews for Dark Souls: The Board Game'.

"How will he fellate Dark Souls?" was a sentence that ran through my head, but I guess most people think better of Dark Souls than I do. ... Yeah, that's it. I got nothin' else.

Experien

Ignore Dice Tower's "review," he hates on it for the same reason he loves other games. Also biased against Kickstarter games.

Waxwing

That the quote in the OP implies that Forbidden Desert is some sort of unbeatable challenge is an interesting note to take from that review; especially in terms of judging how hard the game is.

If he found DS more manageable than Forbidden Desert (which is not that terribly difficult), Dark Souls should not be too insane. So that is good for my group.

Yeah, that was weird to me, too. Forbidden Desert comes with (I think) four difficulty levels, and the first two just aren't very hard since it's meant to appeal to a very wide variety of ages and abilities. But then, this is a board game review from a videogame outlet. You're better off going to boardgamegeek if you're looking for reviews that more thoughtfully weigh the merits of the game itself versus its use of the license.

Top Bottom