• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNIQLO UTGP '17 Winning Nintendo Shirt Designs Revealed

It's a play on the Drowning Girl image by Roy Lichtenstein.

It's actually a really great parody honestly, which i guess makes it a double parody? But it works really well too, surprised it was even chosen.

Oh wow. Surprised it was chosen since it seems like a criticism of the central Mario plot.

Do you mind if I put your post in the OP for context?

Edit:

The winner page says white is the women's color

Thanks. I see it says that on the Japanese page with Google Translate. It isn't on the English page.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's a play on the Drowning Girl image by Roy Lichtenstein.

It's actually a really great parody honestly, which i guess makes it a double parody? But it works really well too, surprised it was even chosen.

Eh. It doesn't even follow the rules of Lichtenstein, which was to follow the Ben-Day dots process which limits your colours to cyan, magenta, yellow and black (and white) and use spacing to create other colours. So basically, Peach's hair should not be dotted as yellow can be a solid colour, while her skin and dress should use magenta and white spacing to create shades of pink.

EDIT: A nice close up to show the technique in the original
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/w13egRf.jpg[/img]

That and it's just a trace of the Super Princess Peach box art rather than really being inspired by the original Drowning Girl image.

...Also the Donkey Kings shirts being from the original arcade game and not Country with characters like Diddy and Dixie is super disappointing. Then again Miyamoto was the judge...

Some notes on this point: early in the development of DKC, Miyamoto did indeed have a lot of feedback on DK's look, but as mentioned at greater length in another post: (1) he ultimately approved of the look and was closely involved (communicating directly with the Stampers, who served as intermediaries) throughout the original DKC's development, (2) he was also the person responsible for DKC being resurrected by Retro with DKCR, and when offering guidance to Retro, (3) he even highlighted the importance preserving the unique look of the DKC series:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/donkey-kong-country-returns/0/0
Kensuke Tanabe: Okay. I'll never forget April 2008... I already talked about this around the time of E3 when we did a session of "Iwata Asks" for Donkey Kong Country Returns, but there was a bit of an incident when several of the core members at Retro Studios who had worked on the Metroid Prime series quit the company. I didn't know what to do, but about that time, and totally by chance, Miyamoto-san said he wanted to make a new Donkey Kong Country game and asked if there were any good possible developers for it. I suggested Retro Studios, and that's how this project began.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/06...to-likes-donkey-kong-country-after-all?page=3
Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end. And with this game too, I'll be involved on a check/confirmation level, looking over the game and checking the content. So it'll probably be a similar role to what I played in the development of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. In terms of things that I really wanted to see them focus on, particularly was the idea that in the original Donkey Kong Country the rendering and the effects that they used were very different from what you'd see in a Mario game. It had a very distinct feel. I thought it was important for them to keep that in mind...

Updated the OP with much more higher resolution images of the shirts from an article I found online. Nintendo Life's story included images that were twice as high as even these but only had a few shirts. No idea where they got them as I personally couldn't find higher resolution stuff on the official webpage. Possibly it's just displaying low for me.

I like Ben Benhorin's design. I like it a lot.

Yeah in higher resolution you can see all the sprite outlines used.

The colored Mario on the left breast reminds me of a hoodie I own.

Mario_Grayscale_Allover1_POP.jpg

Some notes on this point: early in the development of DKC, Miyamoto did indeed have a lot of feedback on DK's look, but as mentioned at greater length in another post: (1) he ultimately approved of the look and was closely involved (communicating directly with the Stampers, who served as intermediaries) throughout the original DKC's development, (2) he was also the person responsible for DKC being resurrected by Retro with DKCR, and when offering guidance to Retro, (3) he even highlighted the importance preserving the unique look of the DKC series:

Oh I very well know he came up with Donkey Kong's tie and his role in development of the Country games.

I wasn't implying he hated DKC. I was more implying that he would have a huge reverence for the original considering it was his first big game.

I wish one of the shirts represented DKC is all.

There are already several classic Donkey Kong shirts.

Including this beautiful monstrosity from there coloration with Vanns last year:

vans-x-nintendo-donkey-kong-shirt-black-p92186-230907_zoom.jpg

Randomizer

Metroid tee and the white Firepower Mario version of the winning design look so good. Also really liked the Mario and Luigi pipe pocket.

...Oh I very well know he came up with Donkey Kong's tie and his role in development of the Country games. I wasn't implying he hated DKC. I was more implying that he would have a huge reverence for the original considering it was his first big game. I wish one of the shirts represented DKC is all. There are already several classic Donkey Kong shirts...

That makes sense! Also, a neat thread.

Not sure what it is, but I don't care for uniqlo designs very much.

I kind of like that one with the little Mario and Luigi in the pocket though. Cute.

There's something that bothers me about a Toadstool growing out of Peach's lower half for the T.

original.jpg

I understand the reference to Princess Toadstool but all I can imagine is Peach removing her top half to reveal that underneath.

I like the look of this shirt but classic Donkey Kong with Peach and Toad but no Luigi is throwing me off.

original.jpg

Also any mod want to add available May 19th to the title? Thank you.

spekkeh

Banned
Bought the Magikarp and Mario Bros in the Pipe ones. They're nerdy but not overly so and in a winky fashion which I prefer.

Bought the more ostentatious 8-bit mario and Splatoon ones for my son, too bad he probably has to wait till next year to be able to wear them.

Calm Mind

All the American designs are incredibly lazy. Mexico and Southeast Asia has some of the better designed shirts. The Japanese winning design in white is fire.

Sami+

Really suggest everyone watch that one-minute video.

Sorry about the resolution but on their webpage I couldn't select anything for a closer view. A regular screenshot on my phone didn't decrease image resolution much over linking to each image directly so I just did the latter. Also it shows who designed it and who's it for.

Intersecting that the third-place winner seems to be the only one to get two designs selected:
V28Ddmgr.png

Though I'm not sure how I feel about realistic Star Fox. Not to mention ditching half of Team Star Fox for team Star Wolf.

I think I prefer this Star Fox shirt from JcPenney I have:

DP0928201617092101M

It's $12 or 2 for 10 right now.

This reminds I still néed to get this Zelda shirt from JcPenney as well.
DP0615201617051096M

It's sold out online which isn't a good sign

Tommorow I'll look for that and this Mario from Macy's:
3425081_fpx.tif

Aldo here's a Pikmin shirt I got last year from Hot Topic I think looks nice:

This is still my favorite Star Fox (kinda, actually Melee but close enough) shirt:

front.jpg

US sale starts tonight at 9 Eastern. Website makes it seem like it's only open to newsletter subscribers, so we'll see. I get an error any time I try to set marketing emails to on... :(

jett

D-Member
What does the third place winner have to do with Zelda, or Nintendo even?

edit: oh I see Link in the high-res pic there...kinda. Weird choice for third place.

Chairhome

I'm still waiting. I'm a newsletter subscriber (I've been for a long time) and they never sent out a special link or anything. I'm just waiting to see if it goes live soon...

budpikmin

Bought a few of these today. I was disappointed that most of the mens t-shirts use a cheap plastisol print :-/ the white ones (magikarp, splatoon, the pipe pocket and the one with pixel line art all over) use waterbased printing and so they feel much higher quality.

My wife actually bought far more than me because firstly the women's designs are much better but also most of them used waterbased or discharge printing. I guess they cut costs on the mens for some reason? The red men's Mario tee is the worst offender - the plastisol ruins it. I bought the animal crossing one for my little girl - I'd wear it myself if I could it's so nice

Eddie Bax

I just bought a few of these. Pity the Lichtenstein homage only comes in a women's shirt, though — that was probably my favorite.

How long do Uniqlo shirts like these remain in stock and available?

I kind of want all the women's shirts.

How would an Women's XL compare to a Men's M?

Top Bottom