• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

Genesis Knight said:
Post vids, I'm curious.

Now's as good a time as any to ask. I don't have a PS3, but now I'm wanting to get onboard as it looks like it may become emu heaven. Should I just go grab a Slim off the shelf or would I be better served grabbing one of the older BC ones and upgrading the HDD?

Just get a slim unless you're desperate for PS2 compat.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
thuway said:
If an N64 / Gamecube emulator comes to fruition I would love to have Mario Kart 64 or Super Smash Brothers directly launch. I'm surprised no one cares about this :-/.

Dolphin is being ported

wes-

Diablohead said:
Emulators now being installed? I am having flashbacks to the early xbox days reading about the newest thing which can be ran on the console :lol good memories.

I am glad to see that geohot is helping prevent the running of downloaded games, so far, someone out there will crack it open as they always do.

Isnt it a bit hypocrite, emulator roms are also downloaded games.

test_account

XP-39C²
itxaka said:
That actually makes sense, because without the "side effects" the image totally changes the meaning.
Ye, it can look a bit wierd when it only says "effect" instead of "side effect", i agree :)

ivedoneyourmom said:
Once again: the PS3 will not run games from burnt discs, the bluray format has a mark that is used to distinguish between burnt and pressed discs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluray#BD-ROM_Mark
Ah ok, i must have missed that since i didnt know about this. Thanks! :) So i guess that someone needs one of those Bluray disc pressers with the correct BD-ROM Mark data to be able to make pirated PS3 games.

brotkasten said:
failoverflow didn't make this chart. They just modified the PS3 part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtDTNnEvlf8#t=1m0s
Oh ok. I just saw that it was presented at the 0verflow presentation, but now buy a guy from the 0verflow team though. But i still wonder why they didnt add "side effect" to the chart instead :)

3rdman said:
No there won't no matter how many wish for it...

Some PS3 have/had partially software-based PS2 emulation done officially by Sony... surely someone could get something working int he future too

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Keyser Soze said:
Some PS3 have/had partially software-based PS2 emulation done officially by Sony... surely someone could get something working int he future too

Emotion Engine is emulated on some PS3 hardware, but ALL BC PS3 consoles have the Graphics Synthesizer in hardware. If GS could be emulated by the PS3 you can be pretty sure sony would have done it.

expy

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
As stated above, only the EE is emulated, the GS is FULL hardware.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
jamaniek said:
Why not? Seriously. Technical difficulties?

That's always been the case. Hence the reason actual PS2 hardware was in launch PS3s. It was the reason I and many others ponied up 599 for that launch day 60GB

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Zoe said:
And even in the PS3's with hardware for both, emulation wasn't 100%.

Not even every PS2 can play every PS2 game :lol

Later versions of the slim PS2 had some issues playing earlier PS2 games...

I haven't been following this closely at all so forgive me for this question:

If you need to use the 'Manual Update', then wouldnt it be feasible for Sony to remove this feature - block the ability for users to install anything on the machine manually?

Meus Renaissance said:

If you need to use the 'Manual Update', then wouldnt it be feasible for Sony to remove this feature - block the ability for users to install anything on the machine manually?

Not everyone can update via the Internet. They would be screwing over non-cfw users if they removed this option as well. But it's Sony so who the hell knows.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
BigNastyCurve said:
Not everyone can update via the Internet. They would be screwing over non-cfw users if they removed this option as well. But it's Sony so who the hell knows.

It's how I think they will attempt to control it. For a game that needs the new FW, it will simply update via the game, similar to how 360 does it.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Meus Renaissance said:

Which would be undone by the homebrew community with a CFW version of the same OFW.

Fatghost said:
Which would be undone by the homebrew community with a CFW version of the same OFW.

I'm sorry but I'm under the impression the only way users can only install these packages via Manual Update. If that was removed with Sony releasing a compulsory firmware tomorrow, then it would mean only those who aware of the ramifications of that update opting not to install it (and hence not use their PS3's till they decide what path they will go down). Those unaware, at least for now, would be inadvertendly ensuring their consoles never have the ability to downgrade or install anything Sony doesn't want.

Zoe

Meus Renaissance said:
I'm sorry but I'm under the impression the only way users can only install these packages via Manual Update.

There's also messing with your network to fool the PS3 into looking for an online firmware update somewhere else, but at least that's a little more difficult for the average joe.

Tenkei

BigNastyCurve said:
Also, a very simple way for custom firmware writers to defeat offline official firmware updates (via game disc or otherwise) is to sign their firmware to some large version number, such as 8.00; newer official firmware versions suddenly become too old to apply.

Tenkei said:
Also, a very simple way for custom firmware writers to defeat offline official firmware updates (via game disc or otherwise) is to sign their firmware to some large version number, such as 8.00; newer official firmware versions suddenly become too old to apply.

And Sony would know that and rename their next update as 8.1?

B.K.

Fatghost said:
Saturn is a mess internally and that makes it much harder to emulate.

The Saturn must not be too hard to emulate. There's a working Saturn emulator for the PSP. Atlus' releases of Devil Summoner and Princess Crown on PSP are just the roms running in a Saturn emulator.

they can remove USB updating, but that will screw HDD upgrades on any console except the first few revisions. the later fat revisions and the slims have less Flash memory and install part of the firmware on the HDD.

RyanDG

The Faceless Master said:
they can remove USB updating, but that will screw HDD upgrades on any console except the first few revisions. the later fat revisions and the slims have less Flash memory and install part of the firmware on the HDD.

No way to have the firmware installed via game disk if it was included as part of an update?

Rhindle

The Faceless Master said:
Why would that be an issue? Newer units should still be able to update via PSN or Bluray, just as they do now.

I think it's almost a given that Sony will eliminate USB updates. That seems like the obvious path to strike back.

CaLe

I might be stupid, but what are SELFs and ELFs.. ? What's the difference between them.. ? I keep reading those terminologies and I have no idea what they mean...

mclem

ELF stands for something along the lines of Executable Linkable File; basically the thing you run (think an .exe for a PC equivalent). I'm not certain about SELF, but I'd hazard a guess it's a secure or signed ELF?

RyanDG said:
No way to have the firmware installed via game disk if it was included as part of an update?

Rhindle said:
Why would that be an issue? Newer units should still be able to update via PSN or Bluray, just as they do now.

I think it's almost a given that Sony will eliminate USB updates. That seems like the obvious path to strike back.

well, i guess it's technically possible if they rewrite the factory/stub part of their firmware that resides in flashrom to have menu options to configure the network and libraries to support it. install from disk won't be of much help unless the disk has the same firmware or newer than was on the console in the first place.

Chesskid1

Banned
don't want to hijack the other thread but

neogaf allows emulator talk because most people own the original copies of games. FBAnext is an arcade emulator right? so most people own the "arcade board" right? or am i completely off here? NOT accusing anyone of anything, just trying to understand what FBAnext is emulating, obviously i've heard of MAME but have no idea what it is besides an arcade emulator.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chesskid1 said:
neogaf allows emulator talk because most people own the original copies of games. FBAnext is an arcade emulator right? so most people own the "arcade board" right? or am i completely off here? NOT accusing anyone of anything, just trying to understand what FBAnext is emulating, obviously i've heard of MAME but have no idea what it is besides an arcade emulator.

Arcade emulators are a gray area and always have been. Historically we've given short bans to people who post arcade emulation related stuff where it's beyond obvious that they're pirating--particularly with some of the GGPO stuff, but I'd say there's definitely an element of willfully not looking too far into posters who do arcade emulation. Piracy isn't permitted here even if it's the kind of piracy that an individual poster feels fine with ethically. There are hundreds of people on GAF who do own arcade boards, although obviously someone with a MAME front end that lists 10,000 games isn't fooling anyone. Hope this clarifies a little bit.

FBANext is an emulator for Capcom CPS1 (most of their NES/SNES era arcade games)/CPS2 games (most of their late SNES/PS1 era arcade games).

Cheers.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Chesskid1 said:
don't want to hijack the other thread but

Obviously most people are not dumping their own arcade boards. I suppose MAME and other arcade emulators are tolerated here because they were never offered for retail sale. It's the only way for most people to play these games.. And the availability of MAME has little impact on the value of arcade boards which still cost hundreds of dollars apiece, and are really intended for commercial interests.

It's obviously a grey area, but I'm glad GAF tolerates MAME discussion. Without it, most of these games will never be accesable to most people.

But those are just my thoughts.. Perhaps a mod has an alternate view. (edit: and there's Stump to fill us in. Looks like piracy is NOT tolerated. Good to know)

Shaneus

I NEED SCISSORS said:
PSP, old chum, today is the day you become a man.
So what does this mean... you can use OFW and install homebrew signed stuff, given that you can install things like demos from memory stick without CFW anyway*?

*as is my understanding. It's been a while since I've fired up my PSP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BocoDragon said:
Obviously most people are not dumping their own arcade boards. I suppose MAME and other arcade emulators are tolerated here because they were never offered for retail sale. It's the only way for most people to play these games.. And the availability of MAME has little impact on the value of arcade boards which still cost hundreds of dollars apiece, and are really intended for commercial interests.

It's obviously a grey area, but I'm glad GAF tolerates MAME discussion. Without it, most of these games will never be accesable to most people.

We do tolerate MAME discussion including discussion of games that, let's be real, most of the people discussing probably didn't dump themselves. Everything you say in the first paragraph is true and something that I think we're all aware of. We still frown (minorly) on what amounts to piracy if it's blatant and open and we would never allow something like discussion on where to get roms or a post like "I just downloaded a fat MAME torrent". The reason I've twiced emphasized the minorness of the infraction is because a typical piracy ban starts at one month and scales up quickly, while our typical MAME/GGPO bans have been more like 1-2 days and with significantly more sympathetic ban messages. So I'd say we have a pretty balanced perspective on the issue.

Shaneus said:
So what does this mean... you can use OFW and install homebrew signed stuff, given that you can install things like demos from memory stick without CFW anyway*?

*as is my understanding. It's been a while since I've fired up my PSP.

Pretty much. PSP doesn't share the same problems as the PS3 keys/CFW/Jailbreak/whatever you want to call it, as it already has many viable ways of getting content onto the system.

Shaneus

That's good to hear... so it's not a matter of waiting for CFW, but a signed app that allows you to dump a UMD (if you want to play a UMD game from the memory stick) then a PC-based app that allows you to convert that dump or homebrew (ISO, filesystem, whatever) to a valid, installable package. I think I'm understanding this now :)

Truespeed

Has anyone else compiled the run the PSP kirk code? Doesn't seem to do much. Could be related to the input file I'm providing perhaps.

Machado said:
should I follow this or the new thread instead?

If you are really interested in the homebrew progress, and nothing else, that thread. If you want to talk about the possible consequences of this for the users, PSN bans or other "homebrew indirectly related" stuff, this thread.

Personally, I won't get 100 feet close to the other thread.

Edit: It seems that now there is a third thread to talk about banning.

Top Bottom