• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu reveals brand new info on Dark Souls (Demon's Souls spiritual sequel)

duckroll

There's a preview on the game in this week's Famitsu. The official title is now Dark Souls. Some info from the preview:

- This is the official title of what was previously Project Dark

- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
- All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
- There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker.

- They aim to make the game just as challenging than Demon's Souls, but also just as rewarding when you succeed. The sense of achievement is important.

- The gameplay will be similar to Demon's Souls in concept, where it's about trial and error and learning from your mistakes to play better.

- The game does not share the same world and story as Demon's Souls.
- The game will not use the same format as Demon's Souls in terms of having 5 worlds connected via a hub.

- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.
- There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.

- The world setting is based on medieval dark fantasy, and will contain themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos".

Edit: More details added.

- The character creation process will not be class based.
- The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.
- There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.

- The online elements are very similar to Demon's Souls. There is cooperative and PvP.
- You can still leave messages, and see players who died at various places.
- There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers to handle that shit again.
- Instead this time there will be more features allowing players to engage in "mutual role playing" which they say are still under wraps. They'll reveal more when it's time.

Nice to hear. I'm all for keeping the same challenge of DS. Beating it made me feel like I was at the peak of my gaming prowess again.

Dissapointed that the game will not share the same world as Demon Soul's, as I really like that world. That being said, I like all the other things that they are adding to the game, so I'm all for it.

HYPE!!!!

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
This sounds awesome. The jankyness of the hub world was my least favorite part of the original, so i'm glad to see it get changed.

Sounds like improvement where it's needed, but keeping the core gameplay. I'm totally okay with that.

Teknoman

Gravijah said:
I hope it's easier to play with friends this time.

It would be nice if people on your friends list could hear your voice, but strangers who join your game for co-op or pvp couldnt. That way it could retain the feel of DS online yet make things nice for those who just want to explore with friends/defeat people who just jump into your game to kill you.

_Xenon_ said:
Please add check points for the sake of god !!!
darth_vader_nooo_7675.jpeg

_Xenon_ said:
Noooo! No checkpoints, please. Checkpoints would greatly diminish the feeling of gruesome death awaiting you at every turn. DS without fear and stress wouldn't have been the same to me.

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether. Souls of the lost withdrawn from its vessel. Let strength be granted so the world might be mended. So the world might be mended.

Teknoman

Cloudius12 said:
Kenshinav.jpg

Crakatak187 said:

SteelAttack said:
Noooo! No checkpoints, please. Checkpoints would greatly diminish the feeling of gruesome death awaiting you at every turn. DS without fear and stress wouldn't have been the same to me.

pharmboy044 said:
No fuckin way. You play it the way it was meant to be played or don't play it at all.

You guys do know there were sorta checkpoints in DS right? Go stand in any area in the game and then go back to the title screen/shut the game off. I believe you'll restart in the exact same spot. With the same amount of souls too...so its not like you had to finish an area in one go. As far as the balance of difficulty, I hope its the same.

Guevara

duckroll said:
- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
- All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.
Sounds great and a logical improvement to the formula.
duckroll said:
- You can still leave messages, and see players who died at various places.
Oh thank god!

hteng

Banned
wow.. new demon souls 2 info instead of AC5.. lol.. so sad. Either way, consider me on board, can't wait to see how pvp and co-op works.

duckroll

hteng said:
wow.. new demon souls 2 info instead of AC5.. lol.. so sad. Either way, consider me on board, can't wait to see how pvp and co-op works.

I made a thread for that too, but no one cares!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Cant wait another second. Between this, Twisted metal and Pokemon black, idk if I can take it.

I swear if episode 3 gets announced I am going to do something radical.

RustyNails said:
Soul of the mind, key to life's ether. Souls of the lost withdrawn from its vessel. Let strength be granted so the world might be mended. So the world might be mended.
You've got a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
_Xenon_ said:

duckroll said:
There are checkpoints in Demon's Souls. What are you talking about?

He obviously never made it far enough to trigger one. Perhaps instead of checkpoints he should request a 'hand-holding' mode.

:D

Teknoman said:
Kenshinav.jpg

You guys do know there were sorta checkpoints in DS right? Go stand in any area in the game and then go back to the title screen/shut the game off. I believe you'll restart in the exact same spot. With the same amount of souls too...so its not like you had to finish an area in one go. As far as the balance of difficulty, I hope its the same.
That's how it saves not really a checkpoint. There is no checkpoint in DS, the only thing close to one is that shortcut you activate further into the level.

Top Bottom