• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
How the fuck does Titan end up being one cour?

What the fuck. I can understand FMP being one cour due to the risk involved but this shit is going to make straight bank and has the source material set.

JulianImp

One thing you're wrong on: Zestiria is not a harem. Also, dissing Edna *shakes head*

If it makes you feel any better, Soreys goody-two-shoes attitude does get tackled surprisingly well by the show later on.

I know it isn't a harem, but it was funny that he got into a contract with the yamato nadeshiko first, and now with the bro-con chibikko. I guess he'll be signing with his bro soon though, and then all he'll need is a flying wind-type spirit to make sure he always has a super-effective attack against enemy mons hellions.

I don't really care about the show breaking Sorey's attitude, it's more like him being such a hopeless optimist while nobody ever decides to reign him in is the issue.

zulux21

What the fuck. I can understand FMP being one cour due to the risk involved but this shit is going to make straight bank and has the source material set.

I don't know. perhaps it will be a split season, or that they want to just release a season each year or something instead of having a huge gap. Selling merch works much better if you constantly have new stuff.

I also don't know where you got the info of FMP being one cour either though as it hasn't had anything announced, and given the rumors it should be longer than one cour as it's supposed to adapt the rest of the novels. it's also not like Xebec has a long history of avoiding shows over the length of one cour. while most of them are kids shows anymore, they still do plenty of shows with 24+ episodes.

Qurupeke

Yeah, it's pretty surprising. We'll never reach the basement at this rate.

Ascheroth

I know it isn't a harem, but it was funny that he got into a contract with the yamato nadeshiko first, and now with the bro-con chibikko. I guess he'll be signing with his bro soon though, and then all he'll need is a flying wind-type spirit to make sure he always has a super-effective attack against enemy mons hellions.

I don't really care about the show breaking Sorey's attitude, it's more like him being such a hopeless optimist while nobody ever decides to reign him in is the issue.
Ah I see. Yeah, he does kind of have an anime trope entourage :p

He doesn't really break his attitude, but it doesn't stay unadressed either.
I was honestly surprised at how well this particular point was handled.

Some reddit speculation on that.

Might have to prepare for magus. They are still under IG, and I guess IG prioritized magus. From a business standpoint, I can see why. Titan will be successful no matter what, so allocating more investment to magus to ensure it's also successful minimizes risk.

They want Magus to be huge. 60% of the anime is financed by IG Port (50% IG Production, 5% WIT Studio, 5% Mag Garden). If the anime is successful, then they get the biggest slice of the cake.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't know. perhaps it will be a split season, or that they want to just release a season each year or something instead of having a huge gap. Selling merch works much better if you constantly have new stuff.

I also don't know where you got the info of FMP being one cour either though as it hasn't had anything announced, and given the rumors it should be longer than one cour as it's supposed to adapt the rest of the novels. it's also not like Xebec has a long history of avoiding shows over the length of one cour. while most of them are kids shows anymore, they still do plenty of shows with 24+ episodes.
Titan isn't likely to be split due to Wit's upcoming production schedule. Depending on when Kabaneri airs, I'm not sure how feasible next year is either.

A guy who supposedly leaked that Xebec was doing it back in '15 when it was initially announced said that it was one cour so a lot of JP rumors are that it's a single cour. I understand how much material is left.

Akiba's Trip END

Ending with a set up for Akiba's Beat maybe? Either way loved the ending. Funny how the sister kept her memory loss and took over the idol gig.

Line_HTX

What the fuck, I thought they were going to do 25 episodes again.

Well, I guess they need the summer season to prepare for Ancient Magus Bride which is 2 cour.

zulux21

Titan isn't likely to be split due to Wit's upcoming production schedule. Depending on when Kabaneri airs, I'm not sure how feasible next year is either.

A guy who supposedly leaked that Xebec was doing it back in '15 when it was initially announced said that it was one cour so a lot of JP rumors are that it's a single cour. I understand how much material is left.

Eh we will have to see, I can't imagine them letting AoT rest for super long if there is material to adapt.

and I will continue to hope for a longer FMP run until I am told it isn't happening for real :p

Erigu

If 12 episodes means better pacing and less of a trainwreck in the production, then I'm all for it.
I think we can take an educated guess as to where they'll stop, and I'm not sure that'll make for a better pacing than the previous series...

I wouldn't be surprised if it really was produced as a split two-cours series, with "season 3" being announced right away.

KraytarJ

The only way any of this works is S3 by April 2018. Otherwise someone is out of their goddamn mind, why else would you follow up the most successful anime since the big 3 with a 4 year gap and a single cour? Source material can't be the issue here, it's been so long.

Ascheroth

The only way any of this works is S3 by April 2018. Otherwise someone is out of their goddamn mind, why else would you follow up the most successful anime since the big 3 with a 4 year gap and a single cour? Source material can't be the issue here, it's been so long.
Sounds like someone lost their wits.

This isn't Osomatsu-san or Yuri on Ice.

zulux21

Is it really the most successful anime since the big three?

nope that would be death note or full metal alchemist brotherhood.

then you have a decent fight between attack on titan, code geass and sword art online.

I'm sure there is another legit contender I am forgetting, but stuff like yuri on ice and one punch man haven't reached the heights of any of the other shows mentioned.

One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto, I think.

indeed those are the ones that have the title of the big three.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To put Naruto and Bleach in the same league as One Piece is laughable.

It's like putting Sonic and Crash with Mario and calling them the big three of platformers.

nope that would be death note or full metal alchemist brotherhood.

then you have a decent fight between attack on titan, code geass and sword art online.

I'm sure there is another legit contender I am forgetting, but stuff like yuri on ice and one punch man haven't reached the heights of any of the other shows mentioned.

It depends what criteria you're using for "heights". Popularity among American Toonami viewers? Most discussed on social media? Most commercially successful in Japan? Being the best by one criteria doesn't necessarily translate to being the best in others.

What are the big three? Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, and Yugioh?

One Piece, Bleach and Naruto.

Its an exclusively American thing invented on forums. People tried to apply it to Japan and it was funny because One Piece is a behemoth above even Naruto and Bleach dropped off quite a bit.

Its the Big One now.

zulux21

It depends what criteria you're using for "heights". Popularity among American Toonami viewers? Most discussed on social media? Most commercially successful in Japan? Being the best by one criteria doesn't necessarily translate to being the best in others.

not really... one punch man and yuri have nothing on the other shows listed even by the criteria you are suggesting o_O

Shergal

I remember there was one year where Titans almost passed One Piece in manga volume sales. It was kind of a lie since One Piece released one volume less than usual but Titans is a pretty big franchise.

I remember there was one year where Titans almost passed One Piece in manga volume sales. It was kind of a lie since One Piece released one volume less than usual but Titans is a pretty big franchise.

Yeah Titans could almost do it, but as you said One Piece was behind that year on volume releases

zulux21

it's so weird that funimation is doing a 7 deadly sins english cast announcement page

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017/03/30/seven-deadly-sins-english-cast/

I mean that dub has been out for a while o_O

also it seems that all of sentai's new stuff won't be on anime strike

Sentai Filmworks announced on Thursday that it has licensed the Frame Arms Girl and Atom The Beginning anime. Atom The Beginning will stream in the United States on Amazon's Anime Strike platform starting on April 15 as it airs in Japan. Frame Arms Girl will stream on "select digital outlets" as a simulcast, and Sentai Filworks confirmed that it is also planning a home video release.

in other fun news, the recap episode of my hero academia actually beat out the final of naruto in ratings
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-30/japan-animation-tv-ranking-march-20-26/.114147

Piacevole Episode 8 - 12 (End)
C8MdpkdXoAIl8ax.jpg:small
C8MdpkhXkAEj7Ko.jpg:small

Finally finished a winter anime. Great development over the course focusing on Maro and then ending with a backstory was great. The injury plot always gets to me, sad.

It left me wondering if we ever get such a plot in Food Wars.

Ill miss Maro.
C8MaGc_XkAEo16p.jpg:small

JulianImp

Tales of Cross - #9
Kansai-ben speaking mascot getto da ze!

Was also laughing out loud whenever they used "puppy" to refer to a dragon cub, because all those dramatic lines were like "SHIMATTA, THE PUPPY RAN AWAY!", which was funny as hell.

Jex

A Silent Voice

This was a pretty hard film to watch at times. There are a lot of moments which will hit really close to home for anyone who has bullied, experienced bullying, or engaged in cliques when they were teenagers. The way the story captures the imperfections and ugly sides of childhood is really raw and pretty powerful. What it ends up saying with all that is even more impactful because it doesn't provide a real moral or solution or lesson other than expressing that sometimes we have to accept that things cannot be perfect and all fixed, and just try our best to work around it.

[...]

A Silent Voice is a difficult film to digest and discuss because it's such a dense piece. I would rather have a copy of the movie to hand before engaging in any evaluation of it and that's even taking into account that I've seen the movie twice.

With regards to your specific criticism with regards to the opening of the movie - I don't personally share them. It's been a while since I attended my first screening last year, so it's hard for me to remember my initial reaction to the film, but I don't recall being particularly bothered by the OP, even if it does feel stylistically different to the rest of the movie. Yet, on my second viewing of the movie, I actively feel like the OP generally enhances the experience, as it beneficently establishes a certain state of affairs and character relationships in a small amount of time. The problem, I guess, is that it does that perhaps a little too quickly, and there's some details present in there that I didn't appreciate until I had already seen the entire movie once before.

I'm also not sure if the story would really benefit much from being stretched out into a TV series. Yes, you could give some areas of the story room to breathe, and also flesh out certain characters, but ultimately I don't know if that's actually going to add much to the particular story that's being told in this film. The film does a remarkable job capturing a fairly complicated story filled with numerous characters told over a number of years. It's a rather harrowing experience, perhaps, but I feel ultimately an effective one. Would it's message be conveyed any better by simply extending its length?

zulux21

Yuri on Ice has sold more discs in Japan than anything else you mentioned.

first off you know as well as I do that disk sales don't mean much in regards to commercial success. Anime companies don't give a crap about disk sales in general they care about how the rest of the merch sells. (granted series that have better disk sales tend to have better merch sales as well)

second off... that seems really really unlikely.

I can't imagine full metal alchemist which had what 64 episodes and thus should have had 5 times the number of disks released has lower life time total disk sales than yuri on ice.

or sword art online with it's 52 episodes ect.

have any actual numbers to back up this claim?

I mean if you are talking strictly the first volume sales that might be possible, but there is no way in hell a series that released less than a year ago has more total lifetime sales than something like FMA. Especially since yuri on ice hasn't actually released on DVD outside of japan that I know of yet.

beyond all of that, if you are trying to argue strictly for the japanese market just stop.

the big three is clearly in regards to the world wide market and not just japan. and thus we would be talking about worldwide success not just japan.

0.1 doesnt seem like much of a difference without the total numbers.

Though its surprising to me that the 720th episode managed to still chart well.

it's not much of a difference, but it's still funny.

and why would it be surprising that the naruto episode would chart well.
most series finales even if people stopped watching the show a long time ago tend to have huge numbers because fans want to see how it ends even if they gave up on the show.

Worldwide success is hard to gauge since most people outside of Japan still just pirate or use non-legal streaming sites.

If you want to use the number of episodes rhetoric then boy Gintama, One Piece and Dragon Ball probably win out because of how many volumes they actually have but by sheer average its still Bakemonogatari and its practically unbeatable because the only things to come close are Osomatsu or Love Live with event tickets and then the sales drop off after vol 1

And the "disc sales dont matter" is really only true for some adaptations where the goal is to sell more light novels or magazines.

Ascheroth

I'll always remember this thread's start date thanks to it starting on the same day as my birthday :p

Hm out of everything next season only Sakura Quest grabbed my interest (and I'll admit it's because it just reminded me of Shirobako for superficial reasons.) Need to check out eccentric family season 1 before I jump on season 2 as well.

Happy birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom