• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War prequel book

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Searched and couldn't find anything. Hope this is new.

51j5urlHFAL._SS500_.jpg

Title: Gears of War Pendulum Wars The Battle Of Aspho Fields

Author: Steven L. Kent

Release date: August 26, 2008

About the book: (from Chapters)
The first official prequel to the blockbuster new Xbox 360 game "Gears of War" builds upon the characters backstories and gives eager fans their first in-depth look at some of the past events that shaped the games world.

About the author: (from Wikipedia)
Steven L. Kent is an American writer, best known for his video game journalism. In 1994, Steven started freelance journalism writing monthly video game reviews for the Seattle Times. His reviews were then featured in Electronic Games, CD Rom Today, ComputerLife, NautilusCD, American Heritage, Parade, USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, MSNBC, Next Generation, the Japan Times, and the Los Angeles Times Syndicate. In 2005, Steve announced that he would concentrate on writing novels.

The cover does not include The Battle of Aspho Fields but is listed as such on both Chapters and Amazon.ca.
The Battle of Aspho is briefly mentioned by Carmine. From Wikiquote:
[While in a helicopter]
Carmine: Hey! Are you the Marcus Fenix, the one who fought at Aspho Fields?
Marcus Fenix: Yep...
Carmine: Wow! Cool!
Marcus Fenix: [to himself] Not really...

It'll be nice to have the back story a bit more fleshed out finally.

I don't think Gears fans are big readers. But more than that, I don't think Gears fans like it because of its story, probably like it in spite of it.

Borys

Banned
akachan ningen said:
I don't think Gears fans are big readers. But more than that, I don't think Gears fans like it because of its story, probably like it in spite of it.

duckroll said:
Does this novel have co-op mode and 4 player multiplayer? If not, pass.

xbhaskarx said:
I wonder what the literacy rate is among Gears of War fans....

Jesus :lol

Tough day for 360 fans, eh?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Why now? Gears 2, I guess? This might've been a better idea before the first game. Or maybe right after the announcement of the second.

Bodom78

Should have just made it the intro to the game. I'm sure most gamers wouldn't really care anyways. Gears was never about the story anyways.

squicken

I liked Gears as much as the next guy, but the narrative made absolutely no sense. And I'm just not that excited for a novelization of a story ripped from the beautiful mind of Clifford Bleszinski.

I can't believe Steven Kent is forced to do this kind of work. Poor guy.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Come on guys - I understand New Years was just yesterday and all, but try harder with the reading jokes - you can do better!

But really, the universe is interesting, as well as the way you learned about what was going on in Sera just like Marcus did after being shut out from it from so long...

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
BenjaminBirdie said:
Fucking A. I really loved the universe in the game. Really looking forward to seeing a bit more of it.

Gah thanks :lol

I just hope they manage to do something semi-interesting with it.

xbhaskarx

Borys said:
Jesus :lol

Tough day for 360 fans, eh?

I'm not trolling, I own two 360s and I'm a Gears fan. But I just don't associate Gears players with book reading, as opposed to say Mass Effect.

a.wd said:
i liked the story, would like to see how they expand on it and address all the missing bits.

QFT.

If this is the same quality as the Halo novels, I'll be dying to read em :D

Any Europe Releasedate on this book?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
:lol

This thread put a smile on my face. I was already amused at the cover art and author for this book, but then the replies sent it into the stratosphere.

Yeah, why don't they just make a Gears of War DLC of the Pendulum Wars. It could be like three hours long or something like that.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
He could almost feel the digging under his feet. Decades of toil making the final push toward the surface. But it didn't matter now. When it would it would be too late. The bartender pushed up to the counter, swirling a damp towel over the polished wood.

"Get you something to drink?"

A drink was exactly what Fenix needed. Something strong to warm his stomach and get his blood pumping. Yes, a drink. The bartender stopped circling his rag.

"You drinking or not, buddy?"

Marcus shifted on the stool.

"Oh, yeah."

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
xbhaskarx said:
I'm not trolling, I own two 360s and I'm a Gears fan. But I just don't associate Gears players with book reading, as opposed to say Mass Effect.

sigh...

I'd be interested in reading it. From what I understand and know, Gears actually does have a pretty rich backstory, it's just not always conveyed in the game. If you look around at the posters, and listen to what the characters say you'll find that there does seem to be a lot behind it all. The perfect ramp up to Gears 2!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ToyMachine228 said:
I'd be interested in reading it. From what I understand and know, Gears actually does have a pretty rich backstory, it's just not always conveyed in the game. If you look around at the posters, and listen to what the characters say you'll find that there does seem to be a lot behind it all. The perfect ramp up to Gears 2!

the fact that they don't bet you over the head with it but you get it from the characters and their actions in the game is really really cool imo

JdFoX187

Banned
Blackace said:
the fact that they don't bet you over the head with it but you get it from the characters and their actions in the game is really really cool imo
Kind of sounds like the Half-Life series.

Top Bottom