• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Sony Announces PSN Pass, Online Access Pass For 1st Party Titles [Updated]

NateDrake

Update: IGN

SCEA responded to requests for comment this morning to clarify, saying this program requires customers to input a one-time use code to access a game's online capabilities, similar to EA's Online Pass introduced last year.

"We are always evaluating new programs for our online offering, and starting with Resistance 3 this September, we will be instituting a network pass program for PS3 games with online capabilities," the spokesperson said. "This program will be game-specific. Games that are a part of this program will include a single-use registration code that grants the account holder redeeming the code full online access for that title.

"This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio."

If you don't have a code to input, say if you purchase a game used, you'll have to buy one through the Store. It's unclear how much one of these PSN Pass codes will cost, however. Sony said it will announce additional details at a later date.

OriginalSource

reistance3.jpg

Taking a hard look at the upcoming "Resistance 3" 320 GB PS3 bundle, you'll find a new print in the middle of the pack.

"PASS PSN Network features only available in countries that have Playstation Store"

An announcement of the "PSN PASS" is yet available.

So Sony will be charging for online access to gamers who buy a game used. Nothing new. They did this for Socom on PSP.

All this is is a name by the sounds of it.

Dragon

Banned
You mean DLC? I mean the actual text there just states that there are network features only available to players who are in certain countries...

Exuro

Gram Negative Cocci said:
This bullshit needs to fucking stop. No matter who does it: EA, ACTV or Sony.

Why Sony? Don't go down this path!
They don't get money from used games so why not?

Oh brother. I honestly thought Microsoft would be the first of the two to introduce something like this. Sony, you surprise me.

Uncharted 3 will undoubtedly feature this as well.

This bullshit needs to fucking stop. No matter who does it: EA, ACTV or Sony.

Why Sony? Don't go down this path!

Sony have done this before and they've said in interviews that they are supportive of this idea. They are doing it.

They make no money from used game sales and people still use their online service. Seems like a decent plan, particularly for investors.

Balb

Sucks for those who don't play Call of Duty or other extremely popular online games. I want as many people playing a game online as possible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mr_Brit said:
If a platform holder is now doing it, it means every other publisher will start doing it now as well.

Microsoft has less incentive to do it since they're already extracting revenue from used buyers who play online.

Exuro said:

ways in which paying $10 to get online if they buy used benefits customers:
-

ways in which paying $10 to get online if they buy used hurts customers:
- they have to pay $10 to get online if they buy used

angelfly

Sounds like an online pass for R3 that won't prevent online play but access to new free maps and stuff like that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, good luck with that Sony. Guess I'll just hop into the loving embrace of Steam and PC gaming from now on. :|

Edit: Oh, it's "Project $10?" Well, that shit still sucks but isn't as bad for me in general unless I'm outright buying a game used, but generally I only but single-player focused games used so...

Stumpokapow said:
Microsoft has less incentive to do it since they're already extracting revenue from used buyers who play online.

-

I don't think Sony is too tortured if used buyers are inconvenienced.

Galvanise_ said:
Sony have done this before and they've said in interviews that they are supportive of this idea. They are doing it.

They make no money from used game sales and people still use their online service. Seems like a decent plan, particularly for investors.

Are you a fucking investor? Gamers don't care about share price. Don't defend this shit just because your fav company does it.

Soon you'll be paying for ALL online on PS4. Happy with that kind of future?

iNvidious01 said:
getting tired of this shit, used CDs, DVDs and blu-rays dont do this so neither should games.

Publishers/distributors of those forms of media don't have a worldwide [free] gaming network to continually support.

ConradCervantes said:
Oh brother. I honestly thought Microsoft would be the first of the two to introduce something like this. Sony, you surprise me.

I know Sony did this a long time ago with PSP titles and EA of course.

Stumpokapow said:
-

Ways in which paying $10 to get online if a person buys a used game benefits Sony:
- Sony gets $10.

Ways in which paying $10 to get online if a person buys a used game hurts Sony:
- ???

Atruvius

ConradCervantes said:

But MS already "has", Xbox Live Gold.

Are you a fucking investor? Gamers don't care about share price. Don't defend this shit just because your fav company does it.

Soon you'll be paying for ALL online on PS4. Happy with that kind of future?

I'm a guy that sees the other side of the coin.

This doesn't affect me. I buy all my games new. The only used games I have are ones that have been given to me.

If I see value in something, I'll pay for it. Hence my PS+ Subscription.

KingDizzi

Banned
Aw fuck. Not going to be playing any Sony first party games online this year then it seems.

Edit - Just had a look at the first party Sony games releasing this year....lulz, I'll be fine not playing the online portion of those games.

Billychu said:
$10 PSN pass plus the publisher's $10 pass? Fantastic...

You won't pay for both. I believe this is going to be unified system for all used games, where Sony and the publishers share the revenue.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This is simply the first step of console games heading towards an account based system where game licenses are tied to users, instead of physical discs. Disc becomes just a delivery mechanism of the purchase, rather than the purchase.

I'm pretty confident next gen all games will be account based on Xbox and PS. And I can't say I mind, I rather see devs and publishers get their money so we can have a few more next gen games.

Owzers

Deadly Joker said:
Fuck online passes. They are ruining this industry for me since I mostly rent games.

O___O indeed. I plan on renting Resistance 3 too. Does Sony include a free online trial with their pass system?

Suzzopher

Yep, trying to combat the 2nd hand market, the wankers.

Seriously, you're buying the game, where is the problem? Sucks for people who rent or buy pre-owned, but hey publishers/platform holders have to do something to stop the pre-owned market.

Top Bottom