• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
New still from Spider-Man: Homecoming:

HbizGQR.jpg

duckroll

So erm, regarding Adam Warlock....

“He’s not. He’s not in Infinity War. But he will be a part of the future Marvel cosmic universe and a pretty important part of that.”

I wonder... does that really confirm him in GotG Vol3, or could it be... Avengers 4 aka Avengers Totally-Not-Infinity-War-Part-2?

TDLink

“He’s not. He’s not in Infinity War. But he will be a part of the future Marvel cosmic universe and a pretty important part of that.”

I wonder... does that really confirm him in GotG Vol3, or could it be... Avengers 4 aka Avengers Totally-Not-Infinity-War-Part-2?

I have a feeling you're right.

I don't know how they'd plan to adapt the Infinity War story at all without Warlock anyways unless they go in a completely different direction ala Civil War.

I thought Gunn commented on GOG3 being set after the end of Infinity.

He might just be saying that though.

LaNaranja

I have a feeling you're right.

I don't know how they'd plan to adapt the Infinity War story at all without Warlock anyways unless they go in a completely different direction ala Civil War.

My hope would be what seems to have been floated around by a few people which is that the movie "Avengers: Infinity War" would be an MCU adaptation of "The Thanos Quest" with Thanos as the protagonist collecting the gems and stomping various heroes. We then get "Avengers 4" as the MCU adaptation of "The Infinity Gauntlet." However, since they have already had interviews saying the Guardians would meet up with the Avengers in Infinity War I am less than hopeful that they will actually do this. Thor showing up in the stinger for Doctor Strange made my mind immediately race and think that Thor would be taking Silver Surfers place in the Infinity Gauntlet story.

All that said I have never really cared for the Infinity Gauntlet story much outside of the basic concept of it so I am fine with them changing whatever. It is pretty overhyped as a story in my opinion. The original Secret Wars is the true GOAT Marvel event, but it would never work as a film. It could probably work with all the jabroni TV heroes as the most amazing 12 episode event ever to grace anything. Have the Defenders, Agents of SHIELD, Cloak and Dagger, Inhumans, New Warriors and maybe even Agent Carter all be brought together by the Beyonder along with their respective villains. Let Kingpin take Doom's spot as the leader of the leader of the villains, with the Inhumans being the loser third faction no one cares about (like the X-Men). Coulson can take Captain America's spot as leader of the heroes.

Fuck it, I'm going to go write this fan fiction, I'll share with you all once I'm done. Maybe I'll even put Black Widow in and make her BFF's with Quake.

TEJ

The awesome mix vol 2 is up for sale on itunes, as well as the original score. The original score is also up on apple music at least in america. And....

SEMI SPOILERISH TRACK NAME

One of the tracks name drops Mary Poppins of all things. Listening to it I uh......yeah it sounds like nothing from mary poppins

Sesha

I wonder if Guardians vol. 3 will deal with the (cosmic) fallout of Infinity War and Untitled Avengers Sequel like how Civil War dealt with the fallout of Age of Ultron. At any rate Vol. 3 will probably be a big event-like film like what Civil War was and Ragnarok seemingly is.

As for Adam Warlock, if he's really gonna be a big part of vol. 3, then between him and
the original comics Guardians being introduced in vol. 2
then I fear there won't be any room for Moondragon or Phyla-Vell.

El Topo

So bad? Why do you think that? The more of the same?

Possible reasons:
-novelty factor wears off
-movie is too crowded and/or messy
-too much weirdness (girl with antlers, humanoid planet dad, gold people)
-Ben Browder cameo overshadows the entire movie
-people remember how amazing Farscape was, which causes them to be disappointed even by a very good GotG2
-plot not straightforward enough and/or pacing issues
-general good will wears off
-poor execution
-seventy-two post-credit scenes cause some reviewers to lose their nerves
-DC literally bribes reviewers and/or threatens to burn down their antique collection
-reviewers discover their inner Gamergater ("A Filipino wrestler? A woman? An Asian? Disgusting SJW pandering!")
-trailers were misleading and the movie is actually 90% about Yondu playing with his collection of troll figures

Only #4/#5 seem realistic to be quite honest.

jmood88

The awesome mix vol 2 is up for sale on itunes, as well as the original score. The original score is also up on apple music at least in america. And....

SEMI SPOILERISH TRACK NAME

One of the tracks name drops Mary Poppins of all things. Listening to it I uh......yeah it sounds like nothing from mary poppins

I wonder if Guardians vol. 3 will deal with the (cosmic) fallout of Infinity War and Untitled Avengers Sequel like how Civil War dealt with the fallout of Age of Ultron. At any rate Vol. 3 will probably be a big event-like film like what Civil War was and Ragnarok seemingly is.

As for Adam Warlock, if he's really gonna be a big part of vol. 3, then between him and
the original comics Guardians being introduced in vol. 2
then I fear there won't be any room for Moondragon or Phyla-Vell.

What do both of you think you're spoiling?

The Kree

Banned
It makes reading and participating in the conversation a chore, having to click on random chunks of text with nothing but speculation or non plot related information in them. It happens all over neogaf and it makes no sense.

Interesting. I made a post previous guessing this very thing. Given the positioning of Thanos as the ultimate big bad, I imagine it'll be pretty hard for Marvel to just keep growing power levels afterwards. And while comics continually bring characters back, general movie audiences may not be so receptive. As it is a lot of people criticize MCU for low stakes.

Meanwhile reboots are something general audiences are used to, even if begrudgingly. Rebooting would also allow Marvel to bring in new actors in addition to new characters, helping reduce production overhead somewhat. The biggest problem, though, is rehashing origin stories.

Vic_Viper

I've always had the impression that after Avengers 4, Marvel would be doing a soft reboot of sorts. Probably after taking a small break and discussing what the new goal/arc should be after Thanos and the Infinity Gems. A lot of the main actors have their contracts ending with the final Avengers movie and I'm betting Marvel doesn't renew them, especially the more expensive contracts. RDJ alone gets paid crazy amounts for these films and it's almost not worth it if he wants even more. I could see, and really hope, Marvel brings everyone back on a per movie deal basis to have them either return after awhile to help out again or at least mentor in the new heroes.

If they do another huge event arc, like Phase 2 and 3, I would like to see them get new characters/actors pick up the titles of Cap and Iron Man, instead of just recasting the same character. As in having Bucky as Cap or a Jane Foster as Thor, instead of just having some new guy play Tony Stark. This would be the best way to bring back RDJ and whoever else in the future.

Out of all the characters/actors, I really want them to renew Cap's contract. At least for another few movies. He still has so much potential for solo films and is my favorite of the bunch. Winter Soldier is the best movie they have done (imo) and I want more!

The Kree

Banned
I've always had the impression that after Avengers 4, Marvel would be doing a soft reboot of sorts. Probably after taking a small break and discussing what the new goal/arc should be after Thanos and the Infinity Gems. A lot of the main actors have their contracts ending with the final Avengers movie and I'm betting Marvel doesn't renew them, especially the more expensive contracts. RDJ alone gets paid crazy amounts for these films and it's almost not worth it if he wants even more. I could see, and really hope, Marvel brings everyone back on a per movie deal basis to have them either return after awhile to help out again or at least mentor in the new heroes.

If they do another huge event arc, like Phase 2 and 3, I would like to see them get new characters/actors pick up the titles of Cap and Iron Man, instead of just recasting the same character. As in having Bucky as Cap or a Jane Foster as Thor, instead of just having some new guy play Tony Stark. This would be the best way to bring back RDJ and whoever else in the future.

Out of all the characters/actors, I really want them to renew Cap's contract. At least for another few movies. He still has so much potential for solo films and is my favorite of the bunch. Winter Soldier is the best movie they have done (imo) and I want more!

I never, ever got that impression. There won't be a reboot of any sorts. There won't be a small break. That presupposes that Disney is willing to stop printing money. They're not. They will pay what it costs to keep people around if they still have stories they want to tell with them. Anyone who doesn't want to stick around won't be recast, they'll be replaced with different characters. Nothing stops this train.

Maybe this new things IS actually all connected.

We know Spider-Man carries on and GotG3 carries on. Very sure Doc Strange and BP are getting sequels. I like the idea of passing the mantle where appropriate, like Falcon or Bucky becoming the new Cap. Some new successor for Iron man (Amadeus Cho maybe?). And find a way to leverage and boost the familiarity and popularity of the existing TV/Netflix properties as well.
So not so much a soft reboot, but more a realignment.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Maybe this new things IS actually all connected.

We know Spider-Man carries on and GotG3 carries on. Very sure Doc Strange and BP are getting sequels. I like the idea of passing the mantle where appropriate, like Falcon or Bucky becoming the new Cap. Some new successor for Iron man (Amadeus Cho maybe?). And find a way to leverage and boost the familiarity and popularity of the existing TV/Netflix properties as well.
So not so much a soft reboot, but more a realignment.

Keep dreaming, pal.

...the movie isn't out yet anywhere, is it?

There was a screening earlier this week and a ton of reviewers tweeted out their impressions. There was one negative preview and a ton of praise hailing it as better than the first with a surprising amount of emotional heft.

Evans and Hemsworth are probably both sticking around in some capacity, assuming they survive Infinity War.

SpaceWolf

Banned
There was a screening earlier this week and a ton of reviewers tweeted out their impressions. There was one negative preview and a ton of praise hailing it as better than the first with a surprising amount of emotional heft.

The dude I was replying to was saying all the impressions he had been reading were from non-reviewers.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

Certainly as we get to Infinity War there is a sense of a climax if not a conclusion to, by the time we're at untitled Avengers 4, the 22 movies that will have encompassed the first three phases of the MCU. And what happens after that will be very different. I don't know if it's Phase 4, it might be a new thing."

”We have an idea [of what the MCU looks like post-Infinity War], and it's gonna be very, very different."

Interesting. As far as the phases go, I interpreted them as stages for the upcoming Infinity War and Thanos being set up as the great villain. So by going what Feige said, they might skip the phases or dial it down (from four) after Infinity War.
I personally hope they do this because that way every movie doesn't have to insert future reference or set up the next upcoming movie so that it all comes down in an Infinity War type movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom