• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Minsc

Gold Member
March already, and what to do... I think it's time to either pass the thread on for a little while, or move it back to just a yearly thread. Unfortunately, I don't have the desire at the moment to keep it going monthly how it was, and I think if there isn't anyone else who cares to, it's probably best to return to a simpler text-based OP without boxart (partly because GOG took away the "free" boxart a while ago, and I have to search for / create them now).

I know the number of people still using the thread seems to have gone down a bit over the last few months, but I don't want to end it entirely if it still is useful to people. So I guess I'll see if people are fine with it returning to a simpler, yearly format again - or if there's anyone who wants to try their hand at it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
March already, and what to do... I think it's time to either pass the thread on for a little while, or move it back to just a yearly thread.
Let me begin by saying: Thank you for your hard work. I've appreciated having these threads to come to.

Having said that, I would be pleased with a simple discussion thread to use throughout the year.

Dsyndrome

March already, and what to do... I think it's time to either pass the thread on for a little while, or move it back to just a yearly thread. Unfortunately, I don't have the desire at the moment to keep it going monthly how it was, and I think if there isn't anyone else who cares to, it's probably best to return to a simpler text-based OP without boxart (partly because GOG took away the "free" boxart a while ago, and I have to search for / create them now).

I know the number of people still using the thread seems to have gone down a bit over the last few months, but I don't want to end it entirely if it still is useful to people. So I guess I'll see if people are fine with it returning to a simpler, yearly format again - or if there's anyone who wants to try their hand at it.

You've done an awesome job, this thread unfortunately doesn't seem to generate much hits. Most of the discussion for the sale is going on the Steam thread it seems. I'm all for a year-round thread, hope to still see your contributions though, much more verbose and informative than anything I've said. :)

Persona7

Banned
A yearly thread seems to be the best, it worked well in the past.

But yeah, I really appreciate the work you put into these threads Minsc.

draetenth

First, Thanks for the hard work on the threads Minsc.

Second, I believe it should be a yearly thread. IMO, there are enough of us to justify a GOG thread, but not enough to justify a monthly one (especially with the effort it looks like you put into it...).

ricki42

March already, and what to do... I think it's time to either pass the thread on for a little while, or move it back to just a yearly thread.

I'll miss your very nice OPs, but I agree, a yearly thread would be best.
Either way, thanks for keeping the GOG thread alive!

cicero

I appreciate what you have done with the monthly threads, they look fantastic and are quite informative for anyone looking for a good source of updated info. Unfortunately, the GOG side has always moved much slower than Steam, and of course there is the added Community move slowdown effect as well. I think a move back to a yearly thread is a good idea, I do hope that the weekly/monthly updated text-based release info is still updated though.

On a side note, apparently there is no Insomnia Promo thread this year? Last year it got quite frantic and seemed to bring in a bunch of new people to GOG. For anyone interested in the updated list, here is a nice page for info on what games have already been up. I think we are about half-way through the second wave with a third wave of repeats coming after that. Bottom url has prices in USD, you can change it to another currency as well by replacing the info at the end of the url.

http://birdiesoft.dk/insomniaspring2015.php
http://birdiesoft.dk/insomniaspring2015.php?loc=DK_USD

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yearly thread is fine, monthly seemed overkill given how little traffic these threads get.

Dsyndrome

Weekend promo: Oldies but Goodies. Quite a long list. Is Bloodnet any good?

Here's a PC Gamer review from a couple of years ago:
www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-bloodnet/
I can't recall if it's like Darkseed where you pretty much need a guide to not screw yourself over going through, may have been addressed in the article. I've had it on my account for a long time but never got past the initial turning into a vampire portion before some other game grabbed my attention.

ricki42

Here's a PC Gamer review from a couple of years ago:
www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-bloodnet/
I can't recall if it's like Darkseed where you pretty much need a guide to not screw yourself over going through, may have been addressed in the article. I've had it on my account for a long time but never got past the initial turning into a vampire portion before some other game grabbed my attention.

Nice review, thanks for posting that! Now I can't decide if I should stay away as far as possible, or get it just to experience "a city of people who seem to have been smacked with Whack-A-Mole hammers as well as the ugly stick".

MrFortyFive

I don't often post in these threads, but I try to read through them every so often, so I figured I'd give my two cents. The monthly threads are great but clearly a lot of work. Thanks for all the time you've put into them! I'll miss reading them but a yearly thread will be perfectly fine.

Already own both RotT and the 2013 remake, so I'll pass on that. Heck, was one of the very first games I bought on GOG (alongside Duke Nukem 3D and both MDKs)!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
FEAR 2 + the Reborn DLC now available on GOG.

I did a double take -- I was sure this game was going to remain trapped on Steam. FEAR 2 is easily one of my favorite shooters ever. People overuse the word "visceral" now, but FEAR 2's gunplay is easily deserving of the word. The game is so fast paced and violent that it just feels right.

And it's $6 right now. I didn't even have to think about this one.

Saw Shogo on there for $2.99, I wonder if anyone ever patched out the critical hit nonsense. Taking random huge amounts of damage was a big turn off for me back when I first played it.

Catshade

More LucasArts games: Outlaws, Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, The Dig, Loom, and Monkey Island 2.

Special note for Outlaws, as that game is, to my reckoning, relatively uncommon in the wild yet is a fairly well-liked early-FPS. Built on the Dark Forces engine, although it's a marked departure from that game in style.

Danny Dudekisser

Rad -- Finally got in on the GOG Galaxy alpha. Curious to see how this thing looks.

Edit: Whoa, this thing has a loooong way to go.

Danny Dudekisser

Does GOG Galaxy Alpha look like Steam did in it's early days? It did take awhile before Steam became what it is now...

Well, I imagine this alpha is a very stripped down version of the real deal. It seems like it's aimed solely at having people test whether intalling games works properly.

Danny Dudekisser

Oh, nice -- Gurumin is on GOG. Wasn't sure if it was coming over, but now that it is... bought!

No idea what to even expect, but it says Falcom, so I am obligated to buy it.

Tizoc

Oh, nice -- Gurumin is on GOG. Wasn't sure if it was coming over, but now that it is... bought!

No idea what to even expect, but it says Falcom, so I am obligated to buy it.

The localization/translation of the game is very well done and really funny.

ricki42

Interesting: Reclaim your games, DRM-free. If you bought one of the listed retail games, you can use the key to get it on GOG. So far the list is rather limited:

Editions released worldwide:
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Editions released only in CIS & Russian territories:
-Mount & Blade: Warband
-Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
-Eador: Genesis

They are working on getting more.
I could imagine that this involves quite a bit of work on GOG's part, finding the key databases and I guess negotiations with publishers, all basically to give the games away for free on GOG. I don't have any PC retail games, but this is still some impressive dedication!

cicero

I don't want to heap a bunch of undesirable work on your plate, but even if it was just a weekly or even monthly text/link only update of titles added throughout the previous week/month to the OP, that would be great. It was a nice aspect of these GOG threads to be able to quickly check what was added over the months to the GOG library without resorting to looking through loads of news releases on GOG itself.

Maybe we could also get a thread name change as well to remove the "February"?

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't want to heap a bunch of undesirable work on your plate, but even if it was just a weekly or even monthly text/link only update of titles added throughout the previous week/month to the OP, that would be great. It was a nice aspect of these GOG threads to be able to quickly check what was added over the months to the GOG library without resorting to looking through loads of news releases on GOG itself.

Maybe we could also get a thread name change as well to remove the "February"?

Next week, promise! I've had a decent break now, and if I don't get to it next week, there's a volunteer for passing the thread over to, so not much longer one way or another. :)

Minsc

Gold Member
New release today (formatting just taken from the OP):

ta0eefB.png
   $9.99  Elminage Gothic (2014, Role‑playing/Action/Fantasy) ║ |OT|, 50% off until April 14, at 9:59 AM GMT.

Also, we have a thread on a GOG news item from today, The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass announced - $25.

If you care, check out the formatting I'm going for in the OP, and if you have any suggestions or thoughts, I'm open to them of course. It'll be a lot easier to maintain, and I'll try to list any OTs or LTTPs along with launch sales next to each release (and even impressions too, if I'm feeling like killing some time). The games where there are no threads or impressions at GAF will have that indicated as well, and the games where there is nothing next to them, just means I haven't checked them.

I also wanted to get the OSs listed too, for all the linux gamers that follow the thread. :) Maybe with a yearly format again, it will be a little livelier... or maybe not.

Sinatar

For fans of the old school wizardry games (aka 1 - 5) Elminage is definitely worth playing.

Dsyndrome

Is the Expansion Pass for Witcher 3 discounted at all? Is there any reason to purchase now outside of supporting CDPR or just making the purchase early?

Sinatar

Is the Expansion Pass for Witcher 3 discounted at all? Is there any reason to purchase now outside of supporting CDPR or just making the purchase early?

From CDPR directly:

Press Release said:
While we’re offering the Expansion Pass now, we want to make one thing clear: don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call,” Iwiński concludes.

Top Bottom