• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 1up Yours GDC Week Thread of Resistance Hatin', Babbling Vagabonds

traveler

Not Wario
Final show is up!

To complement I AM JOHN's wonderful Brodeo thread, here's the thread for this week's many 1up Yours shows.

TUESDAY, 2/19

1UP Yours: "Adventure"
Amy Hennig, Naughty Dog & Lorne Lanning, Oddworld
Size- 34 mb
Length- 1 hour 14 minutes

WEDNESDAY, 2/20

1UP Yours: "Shoot 'em Up"
Robert Bowling, Infinity Ward
w/David Ellis
Size- 23mb
Length- 50 minutes

THURSDAY, 2/21

1UP Yours: "A One Console Future"
Denis Dyack, Silicon Knights
w/Mark MacDonald
Size- 40.7 mb
Length- 1 hour 25 minutes

FRIDAY, 2/22

1UP Yours: "Beat the Press"
N'Gai Croal, Newsweek & Stephen Totilo, MTV
w/John Davison
Size- 51.3 mb
Length- 1 hour 51 minutes

Time for one more round of applause for skip and co?

The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excel.jpg

purg3

slept with Malkin
1UP Yours: "A One Console Future"
Denis Dyack, Silicon Knights w/Mark MacDonald

Round 2. Fight!!

Should be a good show.

traveler

Not Wario
skip, not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job, (No-one is more deserving of a rest.) but could you please name the Yours podcasts differently from the GFW ones for the remainder of the week? Thanks in advance.

Edit: It's up, Ike. Click on the first day's description. (Adventure) I've got 34 mb right now; anyone seeing differently?

OH COME ON!

im already listening to GFW, I dont have time to listen to this now, but I really want to listen to Lorne Lanning talk.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
traveler said:
skip, not that I wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job, (No-one is more deserving of a rest.) but could you please name the Yours podcasts differently from the GFW ones for the remainder of the week?

Edit: It's up, Ike.
Why is it not picking it up on my itunes then?

Meh, *downloads from the link*

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Just a side question from last weeks episode. Shawn did you beat Resistance?

downloadin' now.

captive said:
Just a side question from last weeks episode. Shawn did you beat Resistance?

downloadin' now.

Don't even start. -_-v. If you want to keep the flame going just check out last weeks 1upy thread.

Big-E

What happened to the podcast with Warren Spector?

EDIT: I'm a dumbass. Forgot that the Brodeo was doing it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Whatever, if the title of the thread is going to bring last week into it then i want to know.
Besides with this thread title its only a matter of time before it starts again.

traveler

Not Wario
captive said:
Whatever, if the title of the thread is going to bring last week into it then i want to know.
Besides with this thread title its only a matter of time before it starts again.

Yeah, I'm starting to regret it. If any mod would care to defuse the situation by getting rid of the inciendiary adjective, I wouldn't care.

Edit: Lanning is excellent. (Hennig is too, the few times she has spoken.) You guys definitely need to get him back again.

traveler

Not Wario
DON'T SPOIL STRANGER! I still haven't gotten a chance to play it thanks to the lack of BC.

Edit: Thank you, Garnett.

Edit2: Fart, I think gaming has actually been the one industry where the best sellers are, arguably, pretty good. I dunno if it's due to its existence as a enthusiast hobby or something else, but I do usually feel pretty good about what sells.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
traveler said:
DON'T SPOIL STRANGER! I still haven't gotten a chance to play it thanks to the lack of BC.

Edit2: Fart, I think gaming has actually been the one industry where the best sellers are, arguably, pretty good. I dunno if it's due to its existence as a enthusiast hobby or something else, but I do usually feel pretty good about what sells.

Take a look at the real sellers. Its stuff like Mario, Pokemon, GTA, GT, FF, DQ, Sims, Zelda. Good games. The tripe doesnt surface really until to go down into the 2 millions, and even then way more good then bad.

traveler said:

If you have an original xbox, it is worth taking out to play it. Stranger was an awesome game.

traveler

Not Wario
I don't really agree with Hennig's argument against the HL narrative. If people want to, as she implies with her example, screw up the narrative experience for themselves, taking the control out of their hands and placing the scene in a movie rather than ingame will only either (a) make them skip the scene if the option is present or (b) frustrate them and make them wish the option to skip it was there if it is not.

As for the MGS criticism, I agree that games shouldn't be compared to the narratives from other media normally, but when they imitate those media, like MGS, it does kinda naturally draw comparisions, so if you insist that that kind of storytelling has its place in gaming, you have to be willing to submit yourself to the same standards that kind of storytelling faces in other media.

And one last thing- I dunno if Shane reads here or not, but I'm curious as to what moment most touched him in MGS3. If he is anything like me, it was the moment where you have to kill the boss yourself. Between that and the other powerful moment in the series for me, (the moment where you can't kill Grey Fox, but are given control to be able to in MGS1) I find it interesting that the series held up as the pinnacle of cinematic storytelling in games draws its most emotional scenes not from its signature feature, but from player-controlled storytelling akin to moments in the HL series. (I've brought this up before, but never really seen it discussed.)

dralla

traveler said:
I don't really agree with Hennig's argument against the HL narrative. If people want to, as she implies with her example, screw up the narrative experience for themselves, taking the control out of their hands and placing the scene in a movie rather than ingame will only either (a) make them skip the scene if the option is present or (b) frustrate them and make them wish the option to skip it was there if it is not.

As for the MGS criticism, I agree that games shouldn't be compared to the narratives from other media normally, but when they imitate those media, like MGS, it does kinda naturally draw comparisions, so if you insist that that kind of storytelling has its place in gaming, you have to be willing to submit yourself to the same standards that kind of storytelling faces in other media.

And one last thing- I dunno if Shane reads here or not, but I'm curious as to what moment most touched him in MGS3. If he is anything like me, it was the moment where you have to kill the boss yourself.
Between that and the other powerful moment in the series for me, (the moment where you can't kill Grey Fox, but are given control to be able to in MGS1) I find it interesting that the series held up as the pinnacle of cinematic storytelling in games draws its most emotional scenes not from its signature feature, but from player-controlled storytelling akin to moments in the HL series. (I've brought this up before, but never really seen it discussed.)

I think for most people it's the ending scene when
Eva is narrating and you find out the truth about the whole situation, than Big Boss at Boss' grave.

windowslivewriterpersonajesdepelculasovidarealparecidosal-a70big-boss1.gif

Although, shooting the Boss and having the flowers turn red was pretty fuckin' epic

yea, so I even need spoiler tags? the game is 3 years old. oh well

Top Bottom