• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Preview Thread (9/20) Three kingdoms highlighted and MORE

Kurt

21766865_1381238415319044_4660007357405166504_n.jpg

The map is real

So there is already gamexplain analyse on it. Don't click if you don't want spoiled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzuFySuRRP0

Ecliptor

Prediction/Wish:

They remade the castle from Mario 64 with current graphics. You can go through the paintings and play the old levels but they are just like they were before, with 64-bit graphics

farisr

For a second there I went "why are they having previews so far out from release" then I realized the game is releasing next month and that it's almost October already. Man, that was fast.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Since the Odyssey bundle(500$) in Canada looks to be more expensive than buying the Switch(400$) & game(80$) separately, I'm tempted to just buy one right away with another game.

That Rabbids game looks fun, seems like people really like it too from that sales thread about the game.

I've been trying to avoid seeing too much of this game, but my willpower is fading very quickly! This is my most anticipated game of the year now that I've already spent my time with Zelda. Holy hell, is it October 27th yet?

PSA: For folks who still haven't pre-ordered, Best Buy seems to be the place to do it if you have GCU. Not only do you get the normal 20% off, you also get $10 back in rewards, and they're giving out a free Cappy coin. I also got an extra $1 off for choosing to pick the game up in-store. Not sure if that's available everywhere though.

I really want that damn carrying case and red Joy Con set though... Hope they come to the U.S. sans bundle.

Pat

Since the Odyssey bundle(500$) in Canada looks to be more expensive than buying the Switch(400$) & game(80$) separately, I'm tempted to just buy one right away with another game.

That Rabbids game looks fun, seems like people really like it too from that sales thread about the game.

The bundle comes with a Switch case which is the 20$ missing.

RagnarokX

Whipped up a labelled version of that new map: https://i.imgur.com/2INP0Ws.jpg

Also, seeing the globe in this projection and orientation, I think I see the theme for another unrevealed kingdom:
The easternmost continent is shaped like a bat wing. I suspect that will be the more traditional spooky world since Cap Kingdom really doesn't look to suit that role.

Darkgran

Has there been any mention of the controls? I think Tim of Kinda Funny said they weren't great.

I find this hard to believe since all Mario games control amazingly well.

Sponge

Banned
Has there been any mention of the controls? I think Tim of Kinda Funny said they weren't great.

I've heard it controls like a dream, so I wouldn't take Tim's word on it.

Wamb0wneD

He said some transformations aren't as fun to control as Mario himself, which makes sense.

StereoVsn

I've been trying to avoid seeing too much of this game, but my willpower is fading very quickly! This is my most anticipated game of the year now that I've already spent my time with Zelda. Holy hell, is it October 27th yet?

PSA: For folks who still haven't pre-ordered, Best Buy seems to be the place to do it if you have GCU. Not only do you get the normal 20% off, you also get $10 back in rewards, and they're giving out a free Cappy coin. I also got an extra $1 off for choosing to pick the game up in-store. Not sure if that's available everywhere though.

I really want that damn carrying case and red Joy Con set though... Hope they come to the U.S. sans bundle.
Yeah, Best Buy with GVU is by far the best place to pick up Odyssey. I just finally snagged Neon Switch (vanilla, no bundle) from GameStop online today and pre-ordered Mario separately and that saves some cash vs Odyssey bundle.

Portugeezer

I heard that Mario controls great but when taking control of other enemies/things the controls feel a bit off... which honestly seems fine and matches the theme that you are forcibly taking control of another body which does not belong to Mario.

thanks, did you see the video of hte first capture of the frog? It seems there was a video in the other thread, but the video itself isn't available.

I've seen bits and pieces but not the full thing, because iirc I'm pretty sure I heard someone in a preview say that's under embargo? Not sure. I'll be on the look-out for it.

---------------

pretty sure this is a new outfit in this vid:
Sailor Mario!
https://youtu.be/XWOYCUt0eeg?t=7m5s

RagnarokX

Rewatching some footage, and apparently
the Seaside Kingdom also has a portal! I think this is one is to the Cascade Kingdom? It's the only kingdom I can think of, unless it's a stealth reveal haha. We might see more of these portals scattered around than we originally thought!

https://i.imgur.com/TfW2jNs.jpg

Also, off-screen footage of the 'first capture'! This is at least the full 'first version' I saw.
https://youtu.be/7ajeAxXznMU?t=3m

It's a portal to Easton Kingdom, obviously! https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dwJyW59RLEk/maxresdefault.jpg

Peltz

I love all the references to previous Mario costumes/enemies:

3xxtng19dq3z.png

Nintendo really knows how to dig into its history.

Platy

I live all the references to previous Mario costumes:

3xxtng19dq3z.png

Nintendo really knows how to dig into its history.

Missing tons of ones from the new footages like Mario Paint Artist and the tacky one from the ad with the japanese idol

DKPOWPOW

I'm not watching the videos, but man the previews make this game sound amazing. Ever since I saw that E3 trailer where it showed you could posses things I knew this game was gonna be amazing.

It's such a simple idea, but when you go all out with it like they are it's truly incredible. As much as I love BotW, the variety in this game looks so hard to top, it's just insane. I think people will be finding new things for years to come.

What a great first year for Switch.

Neoweee

Whipped up a labelled version of that new map: https://i.imgur.com/2INP0Ws.jpg

Also, seeing the globe in this projection and orientation, I think I see the theme for another unrevealed kingdom:
The easternmost continent is shaped like a bat wing. I suspect that will be the more traditional spooky world since Cap Kingdom really doesn't look to suit that role.

A kingdom on the main continent that Bubblelane is an offshoot of, + the moon, would then put the total at Mario 64's 15 worlds, assuming the rest of the speculation is right.

roytheone

A kingdom on the main continent that Bubblelane is an offshoot of, + the moon, would then put the total at Mario 64's 15 worlds, assuming the rest of the speculation is right.

15 kingdoms sounds like a good number to me. Anything more than that is gravy.

Neiteio

Seals are already adorable in their rotundness, but put them in lil' eskimo parkas and make them bounce around like balls, and you've just achieved cuddliness overload

edit: I wonder if they're related to Spheal from Pokemon:

250px-363Spheal.png

Top Bottom