• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Mod Abuse Edit:
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya
As you may have already heard, Scalebound has unfortunately been canceled. I'm very sorry to everyone who was looking forward to this game.

Sorry to bring you such bad news at the start of the year. All I can do for you is to promise to keep delivering fun games.

I'll work extra hard to never have to let you down like this again, so I hope you will keep watching over us in the future too.

Thanx for your lots of messages!!

And...I took time off for my mental health? ...Me!?

No way.

https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/9223
Regarding the Cancellation of Scalebound
We're sorry to say that on January 9, 2017, Microsoft Studios announced the cancellation of Scalebound. We are very disappointed things ended up this way, especially since we know many of our fans were looking forward to this game as much as we were.

Going forward, we will strive to continue delivering high-quality games to you, starting with NieR:Automata in March, and including products like GRANBLUE FANTASY Project Re:Link and LOST ORDER in the future.

We will keep working hard to meet your expectations and we look forward to your continued support!

President and CEO
Kenichi Sato

Microsoft:
C1wYCVCXEAEgeRT.jpg:large

Kotaku's initial report:
Scalebound, the much-hyped Platinum-developed action game that was previously scheduled for Xbox One and PC, is in trouble and may be cancelled, according to several sources.

We expect the official announcement shortly. When reached by Kotaku today, Microsoft sent over a brief statement: ”We'll have more to share on ‘Scalebound' soon."

We hadn't heard or seen anything of Scalebound in recent months, and it was curiously missing from an Xbox Wire post last week that talked about the future of Xbox One. Microsoft has also removed the official Scalebound page from the Xbox website.

Just in from kotaku!

http://kotaku.com/rumors-swirl-that-scalebound-is-in-trouble-1790986886

Eurogamer's report:
Multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft and developer Platinum Games have parted ways on the project, and that work concluded before the end of 2016...

Scalebound was last seen in public back at Gamescom 2016 in August. Since then, the relationship between Microsoft and Osaka-based developer Platinum Games dramatically soured.

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

It's unclear whether Scalebound could still be revived by Platinum, but as we understand it, work on the project as we know it has now concluded. Eurogamer has asked Microsoft for comment...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...um-part-ways-on-scalebound-development-ceased

Scalebound, the much-hyped Platinum-developed action game that was previously scheduled for Xbox One and PC, is in trouble and may be cancelled, according to several sources.

We expect the official announcement shortly. When reached by Kotaku today, Microsoft sent over a brief statement: ”We'll have more to share on ‘Scalebound' soon."

From what we hear, Scalebound, an ambitious game directed by iconic Twitter blocker and Bayonetta director Hideki Kamiya, had been in development trouble for a long time. Microsoft first announced the game nearly three years ago, during the Xbox press conference at E3 2014.

We hadn't heard or seen anything of Scalebound in recent months, and it was curiously missing from an Xbox Wire post last week that talked about the future of Xbox One. Microsoft has also removed the official Scalebound page from the Xbox website.

block my twitter if old

Not looking good.

We expect the official announcement shortly. When reached by Kotaku today, Microsoft sent over a brief statement: “We’ll have more to share on ‘Scalebound’ soon.”

From what we hear, Scalebound, an ambitious game directed by iconic Twitter blocker and Bayonetta director Hideki Kamiya, had been in development trouble for a long time. Microsoft first announced the game nearly three years ago, during the Xbox press conference at E3 2014.

We hadn’t heard or seen anything of Scalebound in recent months, and it was curiously missing from an Xbox Wire post last week that talked about the future of Xbox One. Microsoft has also removed the official Scalebound page from the Xbox website.

Theorry

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

LordKano

We expect the official announcement shortly. When reached by Kotaku today, Microsoft sent over a brief statement: “We’ll have more to share on ‘Scalebound’ soon.”

We hadn’t heard or seen anything of Scalebound in recent months, and it was curiously missing from an Xbox Wire post last week that talked about the future of Xbox One. Microsoft has also removed the official Scalebound page from the Xbox website.

Can't say I'm shocked. The showings for it were pretty bad and it has seemed absurdly quiet considering how long ago it was announced.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I kind of wouldn't be surprised, given the way this game seems to have progressed... but man would it suck. The world needs more of Kamiya's games.

norm9

I thought it was ReCore, but Scalebound looks pretty cool.

ETA- It's gonna show up on the Switch. Nintendo saving the day once again.

Realeza

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised. The game looked like a tech demo more than anything. And not a very good one at that.

Nyoro SF

Doesn't surprise me. Every public showing of the game seems to drive home that they don't have a strong focused vision for what the game should be. And the main character was a very uninspiring one too, which is not good if you want it to be a character-driven narrative (if that's what they wanted, seriously... I couldn't even tell).

Dinda

Wrong forum, but i'm not that suprised after what we have seen till now, even thought they have to be so far already, it would be crazy to cancel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom