• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
WTF

I couldn't believe it but you're right. I thought they were extending it because of the online problems ? The demo was out for like 9 days but the online only started working for me this week. I got to play it for less than 30 minutes.

They were supposed to. David said it was supposed to be till Sunday. Seems that they forgot to set the extension and it automatically pulled access.

Jaffe was trying to extend it to the 13th, but apparently Sony wouldn't oblige.

That decision might cost them sales. Although I had fun with it, I barely got the controls down before they pulled the rug. I wasn't hopelessly addicted yet and don't feel I need to buy this game at full price.

Bollocks

I'm curious to see how it performs in Europe this time around, because the series is pretty much non existent here.

Duffyside

Banned
I am so bothered there isn't a subber for this OT.

How about "Twisted Metal |OT| David Jaffe is not making a new Twisted Metal."

Revision option: "David Jaffe is not making |OT| Twisted Metal."

RagnarokX

Twisted Metal |OT| Salt Water Jaffe

Twisted Metal |OT| I scream. You scream.

Twisted Metal |OT| Grab a tombstone to heal

Twisted Metal |OT| Buy the game so there will be DLC

Twisted Metal |OT| A shit rip-off of Vigilante 8

Twisted Metal |OT| Not Twister Metal

Twisted Metal |OT| Sony goes Book of Job on Jaffe's ass

Reading this thread my fears were that his announcement would derail the launch. Half of this thread is about him leaving and the future of the game instead of being about the actual game.

With the demo disaster I think this game would have been better off if the demo never came out at all. What a shame that the release of this classic franchise is being clouded by all this bullshit.

Raziel

What about a gloriously pretentious subtitle like "Twisted Metal |OT| the 6th game by David Jaffe" (or whatever number game this is for him) Tarantino style?

Ricky_R

Twisted Metal |OT| Your Metal will be Twisted.

Twisted Metal |OT| Jaffe Approved Before he Left

Twisted Metal |OT| My Tooth is Sweeter Than Ever

All cheesy and lame, I know.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I laughed way too hard at this.

I didn't get around to playing the demo because "hey Sony is extending it so there's plenty of time" so I'm not sure if I should open my mouth and hope Sony puts a tasty treat in there on V-day. Instead of the other thing.

Izick

So I wonder if Jaffe cracked the nut of video game cut scenes that he was trying to work out and that's why he's going back to a big studio with likely an even bigger budget now?

I mean, there are definitely ways out there to achieve this, but I felt like he was trying to achieve something different.

I never understood why people could never comprehend what he was trying to say though. Whenever he'd talk about how cut scenes weren't right for video games, the interviewer would always give some bullshit "So are you saying God of War has a bad story?" retort.

btkadams

Twisted Metal |OT| I scream. You scream.

Twisted Metal |OT| Grab a tombstone to heal

Twisted Metal |OT| Buy the game so there will be DLC

Twisted Metal |OT| A shit rip-off of Vigilante 8

Twisted Metal |OT| Not Twister Metal

Twisted Metal |OT| Sony goes Book of Job on Jaffe's ass

there is a gaffer who continuously calls it twisted mental and i don't believe he knows the correct name. i forget who though.

I haven't played TM in probably 10 years, but the Race controls immediately felt off to me. All I need is Gas + Quick Turn under my thumb and the rest is gravy. I use the actual brakes/reverse like 1 or 2 times per 10+ minute match.

I didn't get a chance to play the demo. I've always been a fan. Day one.

Your description of controls is exactly how I remember and will play this game. Quick turning into a 180 and blasting off a heavy missile is super fun.

Unicorn

Just bought Twisted Metal 2 on PSN because I couldn't find my disc.

Man, this is still good. Kick back a few beers and I feel like I'm 9 years old again.

Amazonia with Outlaw, all lives, fuck yer. Still remember all the secret passageways and rooms, weapon placements, etc. This game is burnt into my memory.

Though I like Twisted Metal 2's aesthetics and story better, I can't wait for the new Twisted Metal's gameplay.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member

Man, this is still good. Kick back a few beers and I feel like I'm 9 years old again.

Amazonia with Outlaw, all lives, fuck yer. Still remember all the secret passageways and rooms, weapon placements, etc. This game is burnt into my memory.

Though I like Twisted Metal 2's aesthetics and story better, I can't wait for the new Twisted Metal's gameplay.

HAHA. I've been doing the same thing. Going through them all again. Each game really is different. Some more so then others. lol

Unicorn

How can he do that when he left the company? Don't expect DLC for this game.

He'll be there until May (I think.) March or May. Either way, plenty of time for Feb. sales to be seen and then Sony will let him know if he needs to get kickin' on DLC.

Fret not about support, mang.
HAHA. I've been doing the same thing. Going through them all again. Each game really is different. Some more so then others. lol

Yeah, I really like TM1 as well, but the whole catapult, freeze missle and oil slick as weapons is really just clutter. Everyone's special sucked too. But, playing though TM2, a lot of the specials still suck. Twister's tornado really doesn't have the "stick" I remember it having.

I wonder what's this fixation with DLC.....

17 vehicles and 8(?) maps with 7(?) different modes will keep me occupied for a longggggggg time.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I wonder what's this fixation with DLC.....

17 vehicles and 8(?) maps with 7(?) different modes will keep me occupied for a longggggggg time.

It's just the masses being fed that if a game don't have DLC it sucks. They're starting to believe it now which makes it easier for a company to bleed them of money. I actually appreciate that David and co thought enough of the fans to not have DLC packs all planned out. It means they got as much as they can into the game which is a good thing.

Mikey Jr.

It's just the masses being fed that if a game don't have DLC it sucks. They're starting to believe it now which makes it easier for a company to bleed them of money. I actually appreciate that David and co thought enough of the fans to not have DLC packs all planned out. It means they got as much as they can into the game which is a good thing.

This makes like zero fucking sense.

So you'd rather not have new maps/characters 6 months down the line?

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
This makes like zero fucking sense.

So you'd rather not have new maps/characters 6 months down the line?

Seriously? That's what you got from what I said. smh.

How do you remotely get that I don't want any DLC for the game from that? I simply said I appreciate that they focused on getting as much content as they can into the game before even remotely worrying about it. I said that I think it's stupid for people to think a game is automatically going to suck if it doesn't get DLC. That's what I said. That makes total sense.

Somehow though you seemingly got that I don't want no dlc for the game which is not at all what I fucking said.

SupaNaab

Is there really no backstory for any of the vehicles? The terrible stories were probably my fondest memories of twisted metal. I don't wanna be part of a generic gang archetype, I wanna play as Axel and hear his b-movie backstory.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Is there really no backstory for any of the vehicles? The terrible stories were probably my fondest memories of twisted metal. I don't wanna be part of a generic gang archetype, I wanna play as Axel and hear his b-movie backstory.

As it stands nope. It focuses on Sweet Tooth, Dollface, Mr Grimm driver wise. They can drive any vehicle. The gang stuff really doesn't seem to play into the single player from what we've seen of the single player. IF anything the gangs really don't seem to play much into anything anymore except to pick the driver for your vehicle or a team in team modes. It seems like the gangs stuff was going to play a bigger part when it was announced but was really scaled back.

Bruiserk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't early videos of PS3 twisted metal show the sniper rifle having a zoom effect; in that it actually zoomed in on the driver or whatever!?

I saw that as well and would love for it to be included in game. I have died twice by someone killing my driver and I don't know how they did it so consistently. Maybe they wait until the time ran out?

Bukana

Awesome OT,
I need Twister as a DLC ; also, do you guys think we should do a separate post about skins and custom skins that we could share !?

what I still don't understand is how the euro psn store has the original twisted metal for download, and yet, the us store doesn't.

Tossing my at in for ot phrase:

Twisted Metal OT: Jaffe's finest/final hour!

iqubal

Banned
I don't know what it is, but I just couldn't get into this game. Granted it was a demo, but still something felt missing. I loved twisted metal 2 and vigilante 8 and all those car combat games on ps1, as well as TM black on the ps2.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
what I still don't understand is how the euro psn store has the original twisted metal for download, and yet, the us store doesn't.

Tossing my at in for ot phrase:

Twisted Metal OT: Jaffe's finest/final hour!

The euro one has TM 1? That's weird. I'd love to see all the past games both good and bad be put up on PSN. Course I've always got all of them on disc but it would be nice to not have to switch discs to play them.

Alex

Demo ended? Yikes, I couldn't get any online in at all, just non-stop errors, I think I'll be waiting on this one then.

Top Bottom