• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only buy one: A Hat in Time vs Yooka Laylee

spad3

Considering picking up a platformer to blast through before Mario Odyssey comes out and I'm deciding between A Hat in Time or Yooka Laylee. Haven't played either but I've heard mixed things about both.

Which is worth and why?

Terrorblot

I'm not really interested in either but A Hat In Time seems to have loads more good will surrounding it than Yooka Laylee which from the outside sounded like more or less a failure. IDK though because A Hat In Time also had that JonTron controversy and I'm not sure how that all panned out. From just a gameplay perspective though it looks like A Hat In Time is the superior by a wide margin?

Toxi

Banned
Do you prefer Banjo Kazooie or Super Mario 64?

Alternatively, are you okay with listening to a racist shithead's voice acting?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

kadotsu

Banned
Think about which of these two games you like more:

Banjo Tooie or Mario Sunshine

For the former get YL for the latter get AHiT.

Gin-Shiio

Super Mario Oddyssey |OT| A Hat In Time

image.php

nkarafo

I don't really like Hat's art direction and visuals. Yooka looks much better for me. I also loved the game but i haven't played Hat yet to make a comparison in gameplay.

epmode

I wanted to like Yooka Laylee but I didn't play it all that much. A Hat in Time is goddamned brilliant and I dropped everything until I finished it. Then I bought the soundtrack because I felt bad about paying so little for the Kickstarter.

Mael

I'll take a turd over a game made by a bunch of scam artists supporting a neo nazi.
Alternatively, I'll soon be way too busy playing Odyssey anyway.

Glass Rebel

Yooka-Laylee looks pretty mediocre but there's no way in hell I am supporting people that didn't have the basic human decency to remove a racist shithead calling for ethnical cleansing.

me0wish

A Hat in Time blew me away, I already had high expectations, and it was even better than what I expected, such a fantastic game.

I couldn't put AHiT down, while I couldn't finish a single level of YL.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yooka Laylee hands down as the other game has a Alt right voice actor in the game.

Super Mario Oddyssey |OT| A Hat In Time

That better not be the title for the OT.

Hat In Time, hands down. Don't like JonTron? Turn the voice volume all the way down. Voice acting isn't the best anyway.

Yes because turning down the volume totally "fixes the problem."

It doesn't as I just don't feel comfortable playing a game from a developer that has made no steps to remove the voice or publicly denounced Jontron's views as far I am aware they could habour the same view as him and feel that folks like me should not be part of the gene-pool.

fhqwhgads

If you like Banjo Tooie or Donkey Kong 64, go with Yooka Laylee
If you like Banjo Kazooie or Super Mario Sunshine, go with A Hat In Time

Maximo

A Hat In Time by far. as I keep mentioning Yooka Laylee feels like your step dad wearing your dead dads skin.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

weekev

Banned
Just get Mario Rabbids as it scratches the Mario itch. You have the GOAT platformer in 2 weeks you don’t need a palette warmer. However you might as well play a decent game if you want a warm up. Mario Rabbids is a great game, it will get you excited because Mario is in it.

ToonLink

For the record, people can feel as they do but the JonTron stuff is way, way, waaay blown out of proportion. The devs minimized his role a lot so he literally only has one line in the whole game that's missable. He also gets no money from sold copies of the game anyways, so buying it does not support him.

kD3bDoH.gif

Jaysc

Neo Member
Definitely A Hat in Time if you want the feeling of a Mario Platformer.
They definitely nailed movement mechanics and it really brings back the feelings of playing a real 3D Mario game like Sunshine/64 with their level design and gameplay approach.

Yooka Laylee is trying to be Banjoo Kazooie, and even then I don't think they did a good job doing that.

Lijik

Even without the Jontron controversy theres still enough stuff about Gears for Breakfast thats rubbed me the wrong way between the lead dev doxxing someone back in the day, apparent poor treatment of artists, and a weird tweet they deleted this morning where they antagonized Gamespot for listing the voice acting as a negative in their review (not really a major thing but still something that left a bad taste in my mouth about devs who keep leaving a bad taste in my mouth)

I regret being in a position where I cant refund what I spent on the game a few years back because I wouldnt pay for the game today.

Maximo

For the record, people can feel as they do but the JonTron stuff is way, way, waaay blown out of proportion. The devs minimized his role a lot so he literally only has one line in the whole game that's missable. He also gets no money from sold copies of the game anyways, so buying it does not support him.

Eh doesn't change the fact they said nothing, I bought the game and love it however I respect and understand why people won't buy the game their reason why is completely valid especially in a political climate we have had recently. Everyone has their reasons great or small it all depends on the individual, some might not support a movie because of its director, some because of one actor, in any case not saying your dismissing anyone's reasons and its great his role is significantly reduced, however they still said nothing about it.

Mael

Even without the whole Jontron stuffs, the way they teased for a WiiU version to finally run with the money without a version to show for it should be enough to put a big warning on the project.

Top Bottom