• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 releasing Spring 2013

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This got kind of buried in the Wii U Controller Iwata Asks thread. It seems we now have a more solid release window for Pikmin 3.

Iwata Asks said:
Yamashita

For example, something with a lot of small characters appearing like Pikmin([see note] 20) was surprisingly all right.

20. Pikmin: The first game in the Pikmin series, released for the Nintendo GameCube system in October 2001. Pikmin 3 is scheduled for release for the Wii U console in the spring of 2013.
Source: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/gamepad/0/2

Note: The astronomical spring (Northern Hemisphere) begins Wednesday, March 20, 2013, and ends Thursday, June 20, 2013.

I don't know if Nintendo is using the astronomical definition.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Note: The astronomical spring (Northern Hemisphere) begins Wednesday, March 20, 2013, and ends Thursday, June 20, 2013.

I don't know if Nintendo is using the astronomical definition.

Basically, considering that they confirmed it as launch window several times, it will be released in the last week of March '13

MH companion confirmed!

What the hell kind of incentive do people have to buy a Wii U at launch?! Rayman delayed and now Pikmin 3 in 'spring 2013' - what's it actually launching with - A rehashed Mario and Zombie U. Nintendo made the decision to hold out very easy for everyone but the Nintendo die-hards.

Lyude77

What the hell kind of incentive do people have to buy a Wii U at launch?! Rayman delayed and now Pikmin 3 in 'spring 2013' - what's it actually launching with - A rehashed Mario and Zombie U. Nintendo made the decision to hold out very easy for everyone but the Nintendo die-hards.

You don't have to be a die-hard to really like Mario. Just saying.

I hope this means late March, at least. Oh well, if they can polish it up, it's all for the best, I suppose.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I imagine their goal is to avoid a complete Spring drought.

Having Mario/Nintendoland/Pikmin 3 in Q4 and then nothing until like ~Q3 2013 would probably be unideal.

I'm not sure moving Pikmin solves that issue, but in their mind it probably is considered gap filling.

You don't have to be a die-hard to really like Mario. Just saying.

I hope this means late March, at least. Oh well, if they can polish it up, it's all for the best, I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, Mario is a ton of fun - but a console is only as strong as its launch line up. Nintendo really need Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Pikmin out at launch. It's looking like a bunch of old ports and some crappy shovelware with a decent but all too familiar first party title.

There must be 25~ million Nintendo diehards who bought the last two rehashed Marios, then. I mean, Pikmin has such a broader appeal and is one of the most popular and beloved franchises in console video games, right? Stupid not to launch with it.

I say this as someone who loves Pikmin, too.

batbeg

I myself am torn between NSMB, Zombi U, Scribblenauts, SASRT while trying to hold back for a nice looking eShop launch and who knows what VC games I never got off the Wii for the last few years.

You know, to help give you some suggestions. Because that's quite a bit there in itself for many people, not even counting that I'm getting Nintendo Land in the bundle, nor interested in some if the other high profile ports.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Let Pikmin get that Nintendo polish. As for drought I'm sure Nintendo will do a Nintendo Direct this month or next to over launch window and spring games. I think they may have a couple of surprises in-store.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Don't get me wrong, Mario is a ton of fun - but a console is only as strong as its launch line up. Nintendo really need Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Pikmin out at launch. It's looking like a bunch of old ports and some crappy shovelware with a decent but all too familiar first party title.

Other than the "hardcore" people, no one cares about Bayonetta 2 or Wonderful 101. Ask anyone that isn't browsing gaming forums if they also can't wait for these games, and they'll go "What is that" on you.

Mario alone will obliterate every other Wii U games in November. These 2 games would have sold a lot less in November than whatever their real release date will be. The developpers probably knew that, and that's why they will be released later.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Pushing Rayman Legends back is not stupid; you don't want to waste the game by launching at the same time as 2D Mario. If anything, this makes way more sense - about three months gives the mainstream time to get a Wii U, play through Mario, then look for similar experiences. Then Rayman comes out.

Nintendo seems to be banking on Nintendoland being the other "big" game for the mainstream, besides Mario, and honestly that's a fair bet. The more we see of Nintendoland, the more substantial and better it looks. I think a lot of Wii U's launch will end up depending on how good ZombiU ends up being. It's the big "hardcore" title that shows off what's interesting about the system, and is an original, exclusive game.

I dunno, all things considered it seems smarter in the balance to avoid a 1st quarter drought than to blow everything for Christmas. The launch line-up still has more solid games in it than most previous console launches, regardless of whether two or three of the big ones are multiplatform releases.

There must be 25~ million Nintendo diehards who bought the last two rehashed Marios, then. I mean, Pikmin has such a broader appeal and is one of the most popular and beloved franchises in console video games, right? Stupid not to launch with it.

I say this as someone who loves Pikmin, too.

Pikmin is a bit of diversity which is what Nintendo could use in their launch lineup. There are a lot of people who enjoy Mario and an original title may be a big deal, but I can guarantee you 25 million aren't picking up a console on launch day for a game they've played many times before. So to answer you - yes it is stupid not to launch with a more diverse line up than they are.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

I have yet to see a good argument for any launch since the Wii being stronger then what the WiiU is providing day one. I'm not saying that you don't have a point, but it is expected. Regardless, it will sell out this holiday season and I'm sure Nintendo is expecting that. I think the strong early 2013 lineup shows that Nintendo is worried about what will happen after launch. I don't blame them, because I would be worried too.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Is Pikmin even a big seller?

I know it's got fans but I never read anything which says it does stellar sales.

For me it's a system seller but I know it's a pretty niche title.

Really?

Better sell my PS3 then. I never was keen on Resistence or Motorstorm.

At launch. A console at launch is only as good at its launch line up. That is fact. The ps3 had a crap launch line up and sales reflected that. Sales are good for the console now as the games are there. Simple. I feel Pikmin would have been a cool pick up at launch, one I certainly would choose over another 2d Mario but that's just me.

Skiesofwonder

At launch. A console at launch is only as good at its launch line up. That is fact. The ps3 had a crap launch line up and sales reflected that. Sales are good for the console now as the games are there. Simple. I feel Pikmin would have been a cool pick up at launch, one I certainly would choose over another 2d Mario but that's just me.

You can't talk about sales and then ignore that the WiiU has NSMBU, Just Dance 4, Black Ops 2, Skylander Giants, AC3, etc. among other high selling franchises at launch. Many would say that ZombiU is an appealing exclusive for the hardcore, and many would say Nintendoland is an appealing exclusive for the casual. It's a totally different lineup to what the PS3 offered a launch, with also had the $599 pricetag of death attached to it. Besides, I believe the PS3 sold extremely real during it's launch period (holiday season) anyways.

Conor 419

Banned
Like seriously, it got announced half a fucking decade ago.

FOR FUCK SAKE NINTENDO.

-----------------------

On another note, getting Wii U in March for Pikmin Tri + Monster Hunter Tri U will be tight.

Ridley327

You can't talk about sales and then ignore that the WiiU has NSMBU, Just Dance 4, Black Ops 2, Skylander Giants, AC3, etc. among other high selling franchises at launch. Many would say that ZombiU is an appealing exclusive for the hardcore, and many would say Nintendoland is an appealing exclusive for the casual. It's a totally different lineup to what the PS3 offered a launch, with also had the $599 pricetag of death attached to it. Besides, I believe the PS3 sold extremely real during it's launch period (holiday season) anyways.

You remember incorrectly; outside of the limited initial launch day shipment, people were mocking the system for having plenty of stock available during the first December and January.

Like seriously, it got announced half a fucking decade ago.

FOR FUCK SAKE NINTENDO.

-----------------------

On another note, getting Wii U in March for Pikmin Tri + Monster Hunter Tri U will be tight.
Is MH confirmed for march? That would be pretty awesome to get it and Pikmin around the same time.

batbeg

We haven't seen any recent footage of Pikmin 3, have we? I know the game won't substantially change, but I am hoping for some more graphic polish and maybe even online.

I know I'm dreaming :(

Skiesofwonder

You remember incorrectly; outside of the limited initial launch day shipment, people were mocking the system for having plenty of stock available during the first December and January.

According to my numbers the Wii sold close to a million units Nov-Dec 2006 NPD, while the PS3 sold close to 700K units in Nov-Dec 2006 NPD. The PS3 considerably slowed down in 2007 and beyond.

Way more salt in this thread than I would have thought.

I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW *baby noises*

Look, just wait, it'll be done when it's done. Don't rush this shit. If this had been at launch it would have been a) unfinished and b) create a long stretch of fuck all in spring, besides, MH3 and 101.

ohlawd

Damn, that's so far away ;_;

That should be enough time for everyone in the world to pick up the Wii versions of Pikmin 1 and 2 and play the crap out of them.

Fabrik

Banned
Nintendoland and NSMBU is enough for launch for me. Then Rayman Legends and a few awesome eShop games and I'll be fine until then.

Yeah, Rayman was kind of the first one, but now that Pikmin is now kind of pushed me into a decisive no on launch. I already have a PC, PS3, 360 and Wii, so there is basically not a ton of incentive. May pick it up in a year or 18 months after first price drop (hopefully).

Top Bottom