• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't get why you'd get them off of Massdrop though when they cost less than five dollars more on Amazon and will get shipped much faster...

I live in Australia so that negates things a lot more.

Not going to go for either anyway seeing that I found an Australian supplier that sells it low enough to be cheaper when you account for shipping and currency conversion. Also getting stuff shipped overseas is still a headache for me.

Still waiting to see how some stuff plays out before snapping them up though.

HiResDes

Sennheiser IE80's are on amazon (shipped and sold by amazon) for $257 down from $449. That's awfully tempting. IEM's are the only headphone I don't have a good quality pair of (Sony Ericsson MH1's are great, but the cable is appalling)
The apparent midbass bloat of those have always put me off, but that's a pretty good price, but even at that price you can often find the UE 900, Westone 3,Dunu 2000,Ortofon e-Q7,Aurisonic Rockets, and TDK BA200.

Antiwhippy

Also I guess I kinda have read up on the momentums already but I'd just like to get any impressions from gaffers, especially on the treble presentation.

andylsun

The apparent midbass bloat of those have always put me off, but that's a pretty good price, but even at that price you can often find the UE 900, Westone 3,Dunu 2000,Ortofon e-Q7,Aurisonic Rockets, and TDK BA200.

Eek, more choices. I've never regretted a Sennheiser purchase, apart from the CX-300 IEM's (but I got them for $15, so didn't really regret them) so that's why I was looking at the IE80's.

Which of the above you've listed would be most neutral and flat? I know very little about any of them.

Edit: My ears need large or XL flanges - I can't wear kliptsch as even the large oval flange doesn't seal properly

HiResDes

Aurisonic Rockets for sure Dunu DN-2000 are pretty balanced, but have a treble spike that makes them a poor choice for anyone sensitive to sibilance. If you have to have flanges then go with the TDK BA200.

1. Aurisonic Rockets
2. Ortofon E-Q5
3. TDK BA200
4. Dunu DN-2000

... Probably how I'd rank em

andylsun

Aurisonic Rockets for sure Dunu DN-2000 are pretty balanced, but have a treble spike that makes them a poor choice for anyone sensitive to sibilance. If you have to have flanges then go with the TDK BA200.

1. Aurisonic Rockets
2. Ortofon E-Q5
3. TDK BA200
4. Dunu DN-2000

... Probably how I'd rank em

Just done some reading. I think it may be the Rockets. How bad are the microphonics? Sounds like the only downside.

I heard the DN2000 a few weeks ago. Pretty good, but I'd probably take the GR07 BE over it. Tomscy has ahold of the DN2000J. Apparently he thinks it's quite a bit better than the DN2000. He's preparing a write up against the K3003 right now for Cymba Cavum I think.

My pick up to the $300 range is the Ortofon EQ-8. Stunningly good at any price IMHO. I did some A/Bing against the JH Angie and it honestly keeps up with the Angie in many respects. The only caveat is that it's difficult to drive due to its high sensitivity and OI requirements. It sounds best out of a source with an OI of >1 Ohm. I have to use it with the Geek Out -> Leckerton as the Leckerton alone has channel imbalance on the pot before I hit a usable volume, so I have to control the master volume with the GO, and then adjust to taste with the Leckerton. The Rockets would be plain easier to use on the go unless you had something like a DX90 to drive the Ortofon with

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
Is anyone into earbuds? I haven't tried ear buds except for the ones that came with my iPhone but after awhile I just gave up as they wouldn't stay in my ears.

Turns out, earbuds are pretty awesome! I am listening to the 14 dollar Baldoor E100 and they sound great for the price and I am getting a Venture Electronics Zen review unit which many are saying sound in the many hundreds of dollars range. When I first started this hobby, I never understood the fascination with IEMS until I got my first good one.

And now I never understood the fascination with earbuds until I heard the Baldoors. Cant wait to receive my VE Zens, and if anyone is interested I can post pictures and impressions here as well. I am on the Canadian tour so if anyone is also a head-fier and wants to join the Canadian tour, please do let me know! :)

Makes me wonder how many other good buds are out there?

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
I heard the DN2000 a few weeks ago. Pretty good, but I'd probably take the GR07 BE over it. Tomscy has ahold of the DN2000J. Apparently he thinks it's quite a bit better than the DN2000. He's preparing a write up against the K3003 right now for Cymba Cavum I think.

My pick up to the $300 range is the Ortofon EQ-8. Stunningly good at any price IMHO. I did some A/Bing against the JH Angie and it honestly keeps up with the Angie in many respects. The only caveat is that it's difficult to drive due to its high sensitivity and OI requirements. It sounds best out of a source with an OI of >1 Ohm. I have to use it with the Geek Out -> Leckerton as the Leckerton alone has channel imbalance on the pot before I hit a usable volume, so I have to control the master volume with the GO, and then adjust to taste with the Leckerton. The Rockets would be plain easier to use on the go unless you had something like a DX90 to drive the Ortofon with

Before getting the Ex1000 previously I considered getting the Eq8s. are they quite bright? I was thinking of picking them up eventually but haven't had a chance to audition them. Will a fiio e17 be enough to drive them?

Also, I was thinking of getting my first good amp, and was considering the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII. Would you say it would be a good general purpose amp? Or can I do better for the price?

Thanks in advance!

Before getting the Ex1000 previously I considered getting the Eq8s. are they quite bright? I was thinking of picking them up eventually but haven't had a chance to audition them. Will a fiio e17 be enough to drive them?

Also, I was thinking of getting my first good amp, and was considering the Leckerton UHA 6S MKII. Would you say it would be a good general purpose amp? Or can I do better for the price?

Thanks in advance!

The EQ-8 can be aggressive in the upper mids depending on where the peak lies for you. I can sense some energy at around 3-4 kHz (the good ol' "ety" bump) that isn't there for a friend. HRTF plays a role in that, and I've honestly heard way worse. You can also force the peak out of that region by going for a deeper insertion. Driven out of a good source though, I find the transitions throughout the spectrum to be incredibly good. It'll be smoother than the Ex1000 for sure. The Ex1000 has some rougher treble up high (I can't recall where, probably the usual 7-10 kHz region) whereas the EQ-8 is pretty smooth in that region (no sibilance). If you're okay with the Ex1000, I wouldn't worry about it

Not sure about the FiiO. I have no experience with the FiiO stuff. The Leckerton is really excellent but the upcoming Cavalli portable will likely be the unit to beat if you're just looking for an amp. It will likely be priced at $100 more than the Leckerton (at $279) though, so expect a final price of $400 ish when that goes live for preorder. (again the Cavalli does not have a built in DAC section, while the Leckerton does) I put in a preorder for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon myself. Figured it was too damn good of a deal to pass up if it actually performed like a baby Liquid Gold and can go head to head with $1,000 units.

You can see a graph of the EQ-8 here:

https://translate.google.com/transl...http://personalaudio.ru/detail/ortofon_e_q8_/

vs. the Ex-1000 here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDREX1000.pdf

Extrapolate however you will, but the EQ-8 is gonna sound more mid centric than the Ex1000.

Antiwhippy

Well I guess I'll be getting the momentums then.

Got the black version which is not my favorite color scheme, but at least I get to save some money.

Antiwhippy

Nope. Definitely not. 2.0 is like $500 over here while I snagged the first version for $180. I'm perfectly willing to stay a generation behind if I get to save some money. Plus it's not like the momentum is suddenly bad just because the 2nd version is released.

Hello everyone, I'm looking for headphones that block outside noise and are loud, mainly for Vita gaming, PC, and listing to music on my phone. Any good ones out there for a reasonable prices?

HiResDes

Nope. Definitely not. 2.0 is like $500 over here while I snagged the first version for $180. I'm perfectly willing to stay a generation behind if I get to save some money. Plus it's not like the momentum is suddenly bad just because the 2nd version is released.
The over ear pads are small and barely fit most ears in a circumaural fashion.

HiResDes

Hello everyone, I'm looking for headphones that block outside noise and are loud, mainly for Vita gaming, PC, and listing to music on my phone. Any good ones out there for a reasonable prices?
What's a reasonable price and why not consider in earphones?

DeSo

Banned
Just bought some Sony MDR-7506s and am extremely impressed. Really balanced sound that doesn't come off as sterile and more comfortable than I thought they would be.

HiResDes

Just bought some Sony MDR-7506s and am extremely impressed. Really balanced sound that doesn't come off as sterile and more comfortable than I thought they would be.
I really don't like the treble on them and prefer the Gemini HSR 1000 for music and monitoring within that price bracket. They're a bit sterile though.

If you want something really portable go with the M-80 like he suggested or maybe check out the new Xiaomi Mi

If you're okay with lugging around something a bit bigger the NVX XPT100 are going to offer better isolation and a really great sound signature.

You could also slap some HM5 pads on the JVC HAS680 and have a really great set.

The V-MODA Crossfade M-80 is pretty good and I think meets all the requirements you listed above.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9UKKS0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks guys, the M-80 looks pretty good. Is that a replaceable cable jack plug on the M-80?

LQX

Thanks guys, the M-80 looks pretty good. Is that a replaceable cable jack plug on the M-80?

Yes, and the cable that comes with it is the one with the mic. You have to buy another cable if you want it without a mic. It also comes with a nice case.

Vhalyar

After close to 4 years, my Brainwavz B2 IEM finally broke down. I got some 10€ temporary replacements and, for the first time, I think I've realized what a monstrous difference build quality makes.

Any suggestions for a similar replacement I can get in Europe? 150-250€ budget, maybe a bit more since we usually get fucked on pricing.

HiResDes

After close to 4 years, my Brainwavz B2 IEM finally broke down. I got some 10€ temporary replacements and, for the first time, I think I've realized what a monstrous difference build quality makes.

Any suggestions for a similar replacement I can get in Europe? 150-250€ budget, maybe a bit more since we usually get fucked on pricing.

I'd go with either the Ortofon E-Q5 or Dunu 1000, both of which can be found on Amazon.uk within your budget.

Antiwhippy

You could give the xiaomi piston 3.0 a shot, especially at their price point. I came to the 2.0 from the brainwavz m3 and the sound quality is pretty damn even which is impressive consider that they cost 4x less than my m3, and better build quality quite frankly. At the price point you might as well give it a shot. Honestly with the rate they break I would only buy sub-$50 iems from now on or go expensive and buy iems with replaceable cables.

Be careful of fakes though.

yonder

Speaking of IEMs,I've had the RHA MA350s for a week now, and I'm really happy with them. Both sound and build quality are good, and considering they have a 3 year warranty and great customer service I think I've found my everyday IEMs (listening mostly to podcasts, though) for quite a bit going forward.

So I used both the Shure 1540s and the Alpha Dogs via the soundblaster z. Unsurprisingly, unamped I prefered the sound of the 1540s. I am unsure about how to apply the terminolgy most people seem to use about headphones, but I will say they sounded fuller and more engaging than the Alpha Dogs. They also felt more expansive too, of course, being unamped i am sure the Alphas would take a on different personality if I decided to amp them.

The reason I decided not to was that they both felt very uncomfortable after extended use. The clamping force on the Shure's were fine, but they put pressure on strange parts of my ear and never quite felt like they fit properly. OTOH, the Alpha Dogs clamping was entirely too tight and began to hurt the small space between my jaw and ear. I sadly had to return both of them, even though i liked aspects of both. (For reference, I wear a XXL motorcycle helmet. hope that helps a little.)

Onto other pastures at this point. I am going to try out a pair of Audio Technicas ATH-W1000Z I have been looking at.

HiResDes

So I used both the Shure 1540s and the Alpha Dogs via the soundblaster z. Unsurprisingly, unamped I prefered the sound of the 1540s. I am unsure about how to apply the terminolgy most people seem to use about headphones, but I will say they sounded fuller and more engaging than the Alpha Dogs. They also felt more expansive too, of course, being unamped i am sure the Alphas would take a on different personality if I decided to amp them.

The reason I decided not to was that they both felt very uncomfortable after extended use. The clamping force on the Shure's were fine, but they put pressure on strange parts of my ear and never quite felt like they fit properly. OTOH, the Alpha Dogs clamping was entirely too tight and began to hurt the small space between my jaw and ear. I sadly had to return both of them, even though i liked aspects of both. (For reference, I wear a XXL motorcycle helmet. hope that helps a little.)

Onto other pastures at this point. I am going to try out a pair of Audio Technicas ATH-W1000Z I have been looking at.
The KEF M500 are pretty light and comfy.

Antiwhippy

The over ear pads are small and barely fit most ears in a circumaural fashion.

Now that I got them in, yeah they don't but I've used supra-aural without any problems so I have no problems with it really.

Plus I can just tuck the soft parts of my ears in and they fit snugly.

Sound is decent so far. Treble is definitely rolled off more than what I would like though, but it's not bad.

Vhalyar

You could give the xiaomi piston 3.0 a shot, especially at their price point. I came to the 2.0 from the brainwavz m3 and the sound quality is pretty damn even which is impressive consider that they cost 4x less than my m3, and better build quality quite frankly. At the price point you might as well give it a shot. Honestly with the rate they break I would only buy sub-$50 iems from now on or go expensive and buy iems with replaceable cables.

Be careful of fakes though.

I'd go with either the Ortofon E-Q5 or Dunu 1000, both of which can be found on Amazon.uk within your budget.

Thanks both! I have the Ortofon coming in today to give it a spin. Couldn't find a way of getting pistons in Europe though? I'd be interested in picking up a pair for the gym/travel.

HiResDes

Thanks both! I have the Ortofon coming in today to give it a spin. Couldn't find a way of getting pistons in Europe though? I'd be interested in picking up a pair for the gym/travel.
If you find you don't like them and have the ability definitely check out the Dunu 1000, both are quite balanced, but Dunu just sport a slightly more v shaped frequency making them sound more dynamic as a result, though not quite as pleasant with all genres.

Joe

Can anyone recommend a budget DAC & amp combo or just a DAC that:

-has optical toslink input (for Xbox One)
-USB input (for laptop)
-has volume knob
-has headphone output

Only one I can find so far is the Topping AX-2 which is on sale at Amazon for $140. Its at the high end of my budget but also it seems to be new and there are no reviews.

Headphone-GAF please help.

I've owned multiple pairs of headphones and inevitably after a year or two of service the left speaker gives out. Usually it works for a little while if I jiggle the wires just right, but eventually it'll give out entirely.

Why does this happen? Is it normal? Is there anything I can do to stop it?

HiResDes

I've owned multiple pairs of headphones and inevitably after a year or two of service the left speaker gives out. Usually it works for a little while if I jiggle the wires just right, but eventually it'll give out entirely.

Out of curiosity which headphones were they?

Anyway, I would just get a set with non proprietary detachable detachable cables.

Antiwhippy

Yeah that happens a lot. Headphone cables are generally prone to breaking.

Get ones with detachable cables next time.

Jzero

Yeah that happens a lot. Headphone cables are generally prone to breaking.

Get ones with detachable cables next time.

Honestly, mine stopped breaking/malfunctioning once i started paying $80+ for them. Not about that cheap headphone life anymore.

HiResDes

I've never broken any of mine. I remember I have away a pair of PX100s back in the day to a friend and they managed to break them in less than a month. I had had them for years.

Antiwhippy

Honestly, mine stopped breaking/malfunctioning once i started paying $80+ for them. Not about that cheap headphone life anymore.

I actually have an issue with the K551 where for whatever reason the cables split open in a slit, exposing the wires. They still work fine but it's honestly incredibly annoying, and the cables always seemed flimsy to me when I first got them. Paid $300 for those! :mad:

Nevermind though, I'm going to do the detachable cable mod on them when I get the time.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764773/how...cable-mod-and-for-k550-and-k551-lot-of-images

Top Bottom