• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

As far as a Mara redesign goes, they could just go with one of its alternate names if they want something closer to its mythological role. They've done that with several demons before, even featuring multiple of them together in the same game.

I just think it makes sense to keep the penis but to add Priapus to inherit the innuendo gimmick since he's the perfect candidate.

GameXplain did an analysis of the SMT Switch trailer. Some people were speculating it's another SMTIV-universe game. I think this debunks that: https://youtu.be/wwgk_GC8Q3U?t=497

Gabriel is one of the demons there...the old design of Gabriel, not the SMTIV one.

Here's the whole crowd:
sH7EShU.jpg
The lower ??? appears to be Oni, and the upper ??? looks like either Uriel or Raphael.

Gotta be honest, top tier SMT games are SMTIV, Strange Journey, and Soulhackers 3DS so far. Haven't played SMT2 yet but I'm holding out for maybe a 3DSremake or similar.

Devil Survivor 1 and 2 are trash tier.

Secretly persona Q is also good, since it does the same FPV dungeon crawling as SMTI/II/SOulhackers and feels more like an SMT X Persona game to me.

cj_iwakura

Gotta be honest, top tier SMT games are SMTIV, Soulhackers 3DS so far. Haven't played SMT2 yet but I'm holding out for maybe a 3DSremake or similar.

Devil Survivor 1 and 2 are trash tier.

Secretly persona Q is also good, since it does the same FPV dungeon crawling as SMTI/II/SOulhackers and feels more like an SMT X Persona game to me.

SMT2's okay. A bit too easy. 1 is better.

I think PQ is the only localized SMT I've never played. I did not like the art style at all.

SMT2's okay. A bit too easy. 1 is better.

I think PQ is the only localized SMT I've never played. I did not like the art style at all.

It's better in-game tbh, as far as SMT Persona games go I like it more than what little I've played of P4.

Also dat fucking switch trailer has me so hyped, so much old school Kaneko designs rendered in 3D.

HYYYYYPE.

Eolz

I really preferred SMT 2 to 1, but maybe because 1 needs a remake even more than 2.
DeSu are good games, I just can't get in the universe tbh. PQ is great, but still mostly Etrian Odyssey.

I really preferred SMT 2 to 1, but maybe because 1 needs a remake even more than 2.
DeSu are good games, I just can't get in the universe tbh. PQ is great, but still mostly Etrian Odyssey.

I've never played etrian odyssey but going between it and Soulhackers it gives me that SMT2 vibe more than anything.

So when do we think we'll be seeing the SMT 30th anniversary thread? I know it's supposed to happen later on compared to the FF thread. I imagine after P5 has had time to breathe?

randomkid

Yeah a month or so after P5 with some distance from the current insane glut we're all in sounds about right to me.

And good looking out on making sure it's the 30th anniversary and not just the 25th!

Hylian7

I hope they announce the 3DS Project soon. I'm surprised they haven't yet. I'm honestly betting it's a remake of something. Unless they decide to make a 3DS port of Devil Summoner (not Raidou, the original one), despite there being one on the PSP.

I would still like to play that game, despite how poorly it may have aged. For sure they can speed the battle animations up like on Soul Hackers 3DS.

Eolz

What was the shortest announcement/reveal to release in the past for a SMT game?
Wonder if they could do a "here's the game!" thing and release it 3 months later...

What was the shortest announcement/reveal to release in the past for a SMT game?
Wonder if they could do a "here's the game!" thing and release it 3 months later...

SMT IV Final was 4 months. A shorter time period seems perfectly plausible for a "smaller" game.

NeonZ

I hope they announce the 3DS Project soon. I'm surprised they haven't yet. I'm honestly betting it's a remake of something. Unless they decide to make a 3DS port of Devil Summoner (not Raidou, the original one), despite there being one on the PSP.
I'd really like to see a remake of SMTI in a modern engine. I just really liked the concept of everything slowly falling apart throughout the game. The only other SMT related game that really pushed that element was Devil Survivor I.

Apocalypse itself came out pretty quickly. Announcement in October 2015, launched in Japan by February 2016.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Not sure what the shortest was, Strange Journey was released three months after its announcement, SMT IV: Apocalypse four months after its announcement and Nocturne was released five months after its first announcement (if Wikipedia is right on the announcement dates).

huh, SJ was well under 3 months, guess that would be up there. Looks like Devil Survivor was about the same too.

Wonder what the longest was. I guess P5 followed by Break Record.

Eolz

SMT IV Final was 4 months. A shorter time period seems perfectly plausible for a "smaller" game.

Apocalypse itself came out pretty quickly. Announcement in October 2015, launched in Japan by February 2016.

Not sure what the shortest was, Strange Journey was released three months after its announcement, SMT IV: Apocalypse four months after its announcement and Nocturne was released five months after its first announcement (if Wikipedia is right on the announcement dates).

Wait, Strange Journey and Nocturne were that short? Really didn't remember that at all.
SJ was teased before that wasn't it?

And yeah, forgot about Apocalypse, good point. I was thinking about the western dates for this one since it's recent ahah.

I'm already playing SJ right now so if they do a remake...sigh, I'll probably end up buying it.

Soulhackers is a favorite of mine especially, even though SJ is technically a better game overall.

cj_iwakura

I've been meaning to replay SJ, but Record Breaker is my current SMT fix, and it's on hold while I finish PxZ2. I like DS2, but it's not nearly as gripping as DS1. Just has more of the same great gameplay.

Lynx_7

So I finally decided to (re)start my SMT 1 playthrough and managed to get back to where I previously stopped. I love this game's aesthetic and so far the narrative is pretty intriguing. The soundtrack is also really good and, alongside the visuals, goes a long way in enhancing the game's atmosphere. So far I just wish you could walk sideways like you can on Soul Hackers 3D, just to speed up exploration a little bit. Combat is also pretty basic compared to future entries but that's to be expected. I just don't like how you can't direct your attacks at specific enemies and how they don't all show up on the battle screen. It feels too restrictive. Can't say it's making me enjoy the game any less though, so far I'm really liking it, even moreso than I was enjoying Soul Hackers at the same point in time. Remakes when, Atlus? Could the unannounced 3DS title be a 1-2 remake like I've always wanted?!
It isn't but that won't stop me from dreaming!

I just hope the translation patch doesn't screw me over as I've heard it's pretty buggy. Spell names and equipments are also kind of messed up, probably due to space limitations, but at least the dialogue is good.

Oh, and spoiling as little as possible, how do I get the neutral ending?

randomkid

I just hope the translation patch doesn't screw me over as I've heard it's pretty buggy. Spell names and equipments are also kind of messed up, probably due to space limitations, but at least the dialogue is good.

Oh, and spoiling as little as possible, how do I get the neutral ending?

If you aren't playing on iOS, there's a translation patch that actually adds in the correct spell and item names and cleans some stuff up, very useful, you should seek it out.

The best advice to get neutral is to say no to everyone who tries to recruit you to their factions and fight em. You can still end up leaning one way or the other though based on weird hidden stuff like whether you talk to or fight with demons who currently appear in your party, I always end up leaning Law for some reason. There is a minigame you can play later in a place called "Destiny Land" to course correct if needed, just pay attention to the way Mr. Pointer Man rotates on the world map to check how you're doing.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Apologies that this is somewhat of a drive-by posting, but I wondered if anybody had some practical tips for finishing off my compendium in Apocalypse. After Googling specific questions on this I just keep getting pointed towards useless threads on Gamefaqs.

I know about increasing fusion rates by using foul demons, being sick etc, but wondered if people had any success getting the following demons with particular/specific fusions?

Lanling Wang
Guan Yu
Attis
Huang Di

Opa-Pa

Devil Survivor 2 was rough. Loved the 1st game but #2 didn't click with me to be honest. Cast and story were anime garbage.

Mechanically it was a great sequel, but everything else... Yeah.

I'd say the story does get more interesting, but the characters and tone remain the same.

So yeah, beat SMTIV with the law ending even thought I was super close to neutral. SO CLOSE. A friend of mine gave me his old copy of Apocalypse, so I am gonna smash through that and soulhackers.

Also as a heads up, it seems a lot of atlus and monster hunter games are on sale on the 3ds Eshop. I had credit left over and picked up the first Devil Survivor remake.

so far I like DeS1 over Record Breaker, it is like a million times better written and voiced.

Eolz

Yeah, Apocalypse is on sale on the EU eshop too.
Really tempted since sega/deep silver didn't make any physical stock for it, and it's already super expensive... Think I'll still try to hunt a copy though.

cj_iwakura

So yeah, beat SMTIV with the law ending even thought I was super close to neutral. SO CLOSE. A friend of mine gave me his old copy of Apocalypse, so I am gonna smash through that and soulhackers.

Also as a heads up, it seems a lot of atlus and monster hunter games are on sale on the 3ds Eshop. I had credit left over and picked up the first Devil Survivor remake.

so far I like DeS1 over Record Breaker, it is like a million times better written and voiced.

Hi5 fellow Messian scum.

I don't think anyone likes DeS2 more, the only improvement it has is gameplay. And some of the characters are cool, but the story is bleh. Not bad, just... nothing special.

daevious

Hi5 fellow Messian scum.

I don't think anyone likes DeS2 more, the only improvement it has is gameplay. And some of the characters are cool, but the story is bleh. Not bad, just... nothing special.

Devil Survivor 2 is an exercise in how blatantly you can rip off Evangelion without getting lawyers barking up your ass. Hell, they even hired one of the guys who designed the Angels from Eva to design the Septentrion.

Joqu

Devil Survivor 2 is an exercise in how blatantly you can rip off Evangelion without getting lawyers barking up your ass. Hell, they even hired of the guys who designed the Angels from Eva to design the Septentrion.
Y'know, if anything this makes me more excited to finally get around to playing desu 2

dawgparty

Started playing DeSu1 again with the intention of actually finishing it before P5 comes out and I'm really enjoying it. Played the original before so the voice acting in Overclocked is nice even though some of the english voices are pretty shitty(Haru...). Not sure which ending to go for but Yuzu is bae so probably hers - how do I make sure I get her 8th day? I've heard her 7th day ending is terrible.

cj_iwakura

Started playing DeSu1 again with the intention of actually finishing it before P5 comes out and I'm really enjoying it. Played the original before so the voice acting in Overclocked is nice even though some of the english voices are pretty shitty(Haru...). Not sure which ending to go for but Yuzu is bae so probably hers - how do I make sure I get her 8th day? I've heard her 7th day ending is terrible.

I'm pretty sure her 8th day is terrible too. True Demon is the only way to fly.

40detectives

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure her 8th day is terrible too. True Demon is the only way to fly.

Really?! I've only beated once
(and it was as His messiah)
, but Yuzu's ending (8th day) was one from what I've heard the most praise. I mean, till now everything I've heard was that her 8th day was a great way to improve
the lacking
Yuzu's 7th day ending.

I was tempted to do that my next playthrough.

PS.: Just in case any one playing DeSu1 read this: I would recommend Amane ending too, I liked it how He was portrayed.
I felt bad for trusting Him.

Opa-Pa

Yeah, haven't personally beaten neither of her endings, but while I know her vanilla one is the worst, I have also heard her 8th day was a big improvement.

Of course, Naoya's 8th day sounds the best. I should really get to it one of these days...

Magic is probably the safest, but anything works well. I used magic with a bit of dexterity. And yet, I used guns to attack more often than I used magic...

Opa-Pa

Nothing too complex, basically something that hits everyone for mob clearing like Hades Blast, something that hits twice or more (single enemy or multiple ones) for boss battles and smirk fishing like Purple Smoke (I ended up with Hell Thrust) and the usual Charge and some support skills of your liking.

I went STR/AGI/LUCK and a bit of DEX, but focused my skills around STR while using DEX for normal gun attacks, since the different guns and ammo offer enough variety to make it worthwhile and fun.

Eolz

Friendly reminder that there's an Atlus stream/event at 19:00 japan time (12:30h from now).
SMT 3DS is likely. Radiant Historia focused, but they said they're talking about their lineup for this year as well.

Top Bottom