• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Destiny 2 underperforms, 60%+ drop from D1

Jacknapes

It's not surprising, D1 was hyped a lot and was disappointing to many with the grinding. However, it became less grindy and became a better game with updates. D2 is a far better game, but i guess many are waiting on reviews or the PC version before getting into D2. Which is a wise move if you are unsure. For those that stayed with D1 until the end, these are the ones who picked up on Day 1. I'm sure many others will return over time once reviews are out.

Plus, D2 has lost 2 platforms with the 360 and PS3. But is gaining the PC market.

Neptonic

npcc2gw69tjylnfm4ap5.gif

Cant buy, too busy dancing
It's not fair that they got better commercials and don't even buy the game

VariantX

Can only say that Japan has infinitely more options than they did back then, so lots more competition. Unfortunately for them, part of that competition is Splatoon 2. Don't know If they did a good enough job saying how much better things are versus the first game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Consumers actually got smart after being disappointed with Destiny 1?

Faith in humanity surprisingly rising?

I mean, is not that popular, but there is a good number of active Steam users and players in Japan not as much as other asian countries but the PC Gaming is existent.

Steam numbers
mSVJ8KH.png

And this is PUBG, there are more Japanese players than Taiwanese, Sweden or other countries when PC Gaming is popular.
HAi2E7t.png

And this without counting DQXI, DD Online and other MMORPG's in Japan.

Need a Region graphic , this graphic are bad , just regroup EU , NA , ASIA country for a good idea where the game sell the most ...

Duxxy3

PC version should have been available at launch. Not saying that's the reason for Japan's drop, but just in general. Shouldn't have done a split launch like that. I'm probably going to get the PC version, but by delaying the launch it's making me think twice about the game. Especially because I already have my loot games in WoW and Diablo 3.

a harpy

Can only say that Japan has infinitely more options than they did back then, so lots more competition. Unfortunately for them, part of that competition is Splatoon 2. Don't know If they did a good enough job saying how much better things are versus the first game.

Over here in the west, I think they did a terrible job of selling the game and showing it off.

Unless you're the kind of person that goes looking for the information, the big spots they had for the game were completely uninteresting. I remember the big reveal being so utterly disappointing. They made a big show of how they're going to "earn" the number 2 in the title and then they went on to show nothing notable for the entire presentation.

Meanwhile, the game is great and has a ton of improvements and almost all aspects of it are either new or a better version of what existed in the previous game. They stayed way too tight lipped about all the major selling points that would bring fans back.

No surprise the game is selling worse. I suspect it will keep a similar player count to Destiny 1 in the long term, though.

Just to let everyone know, destiny 2 was completely sold out at the few electronic stores I went to from Thursday through Saturday. This is anecdotal, but it could have been supply constrained in Japan

alt27

I guess you forgot a bunch of games underperformed last year during the Fall season. Battlefield 1 was the only game that profited on day 1.

Will it happen to D2? Idk. The PC version has the community really hyped.

Pretty sure D2 has 'profited' Day 1 if it had 1.2 million concurrents on

a harpy

Anyone who is suckered into loot based games filled with lots of microtransactions and dlc such as Destiny, maybe so

You talk about it like it's a mobile game and all there is to do is gamble for higher numbers with microtransactions.

It's a fun game with a cool setting, a great gameplay loop, plenty of lore, a fun campaign, a lot of activities to participate in with friends, and a promise of constant updates (even if paid). It earned its space to exist in and people shouldn't feel guilty about liking it.

You talk about it like it's a mobile game and all there is to do is gamble for higher numbers with microtransactions.

It's a fun game with a cool setting, a great gameplay loop, plenty of lore, a fun campaign, a lot of activities to participate in with friends, and a promise of constant updates (even if paid).

Don't waste your time with reasonable responses to Destiny drive-by hate posts. Those people are never going to change their minds.

Stop being a fanboy, it's embarrassing to read. Bungie messed up on Destiny 1's launch and they're reaping what they sowed. Destiny 2 took multiple studios and hundreds of people to create and while Titanfall 2 had disappointing sales it also had much lower expectations.

Not for me, and I enjoyed Titanfall 2 immensely...for the 2 months it stuck around. The reason Destiny has such staying power is that the core fundamentals are so strong. The gun play in Titanfall 2 is still fun. They did a better job this time of making the guns fun to shoot, and there are more compelling options to use this time around (a major problem with the first game).

The problem was they still didn't figure out a way to make Titan gameplay fun or rewarding over the long haul. Most games simply play out with too familiar a script.

And my 'fanboyism' being embarrassing to read pales in comparison to your talking out of your ass as a casual whose entire experience of Destiny's first year consisted of maybe completing the story and playing a few strikes and then coming on GAF/reddit and joining the loud minority of whiners who expected the studio who had never produced an MMO to give you something more than a Halo length campaign (now a GOOD halo length campaign), a pvp suite and a raid to instantly be capable of a content pipeline comparing favorably to WoW.

Strakt

Anyone who is suckered into loot based games filled with lots of microtransactions and dlc such as Destiny, maybe so

Lets be real.. looking at your posts, you get suckered into buying way more shit games than destiny.. but you don't see me shit posting in threads about those games because i need attention

Draft

I'm starting to get a little worried about Destiny 2.

Total development and ad budget? I'm guessing a cool $500,000,000. I bet they make it back, but when Bobby Kotick drops a half billion, he expects better than breaking even.

We should brace ourselves for some aggressive post purchase add on marketing. Level 200 sparrows, exclusive to Eververse!

Jesus Christ, how is this shit tolerable? I am slow/dumb because I enjoy the gunplay, like doing raids and playing with my buddies? Get a grip on reality bro, your opinion is not the only one that counts. I have only seen you post a few times, and everytime it was borderline trolling.

jelly

Total development and ad budget? I'm guessing a cool $500,000,000. I bet they make it back, but when Bobby Kotick drops a half billion, he expects better than breaking even.

We should brace ourselves for some aggressive post purchase add on marketing. Level 200 sparrows, exclusive to Eververse!

What, no way they spent that much. GTA can't possibly cost that much.

Why are you attacking him? It is 100% true.

The original launch was atrocious and they are paying the price for it now. It's unfortunate as D2 is great but it is really what D1 should have been before releasing it.

I'm not sure I understand. I addressed that in my next post btw. Instead of attacking MY 'attack' why don't you consider that your expectations were possibly a tad unrealistic (or give Bungie some credit for addressing the community's concerns in fairly short order)?

alt27

500 mil? Really?????!!

Wasnt that the buget for their entire contract or whatever?

DonF

I loved destiny 1 played the hell of it for like 5 month. Im super burned out with the game. It felt like a second job with all the things that you had to do to get the best gear. Thats why I didnt get the second 2. You already got my money from the first game, bungie!

Falchion

I know I went from retail to digital for Destiny 2 because I just didn't want to mess with changing discs on a regular basis. Maybe a ton of people thought the same way.

lt519

Definitely going to see severely reduced sales due to their handling of D1 but the core fan base is going to remain the same. People either love it or loathe it. I'm in the love it category, had a blast last night playing crucible and doing strikes with my clan.

I will be stunned if Destiny 2 doesnt absolutely blow away Destiny 1 sales in the US.

D1 was probably the most hyped game I've ever seen. I'm guessing at least half the people that bought it on Bungie pedigree and "MMO" promises, didn't like it, and are not going to get D2.

Well, it is what it is. There's always going to be a diehard population to play with, but the casuals who bought the first game aren't going to bite again unless word of mouth is good. It's on Bungie to balance courting casual players versus hardcore raiders to grow sales.

We'll see if it's going to drop off the charts or hang in there for awhile.

Definitely going to see severely reduced sales due to their handling of D1 but the core fan base is going to remain the same. People either love it or loathe it. I'm in the love it category, had a blast last night playing crucible and doing strikes with my clan.

D1 was probably the most hyped game I've ever seen. I'm guessing at least half the people that bought it on Bungie pedigree and "MMO" promises, didn't like it, and are not going to get D2.

Halo 3 might take that award for me lol, but i get what you are saying. I think world of mouth on Destiny shifted once the taken king came out. Bungie absolutely nailed it this time, the game is way easier and casual friendly while still having challenges for the hardcore.

lt519

Seriously what did Destiny do to you people? Why is a well reviewd game that a lot of people are enjoying selling less a good thing to you?

Either they are hung up on the scummy shader practice (which is legit) or they just part of the crowd that Destiny gets under the skin for no apparent reason (maybe they are still mad about $60 they spent 3 years ago).

Halo 3 might take that award for me lol, but i get what you are saying. I think world of mouth on Destiny shifted once the taken king came out. Bungie absolutely nailed it this time, the game is way easier and casual friendly while still having challenges for the hardcore.

Agreed, from the TTK on Destiny 1 was sublime. Before that I still loved it but they had some poor quality of life design choices. I just don't see them undoing that damage with D2 through word of mouth. They are going to miss a couple million in sales compared to D1 and I don't think word of mouth can make that up. Maybe PC community will, but console sales won't ever reach D1 heights.

Top Bottom