• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Is this worth downloading for Mac? I use Chromium at the moment and I'm not really sure if I should just use the official release or not. Also, it's ugly as sin in OSX.

Mr. Sam

Zeouterlimits said:
*looks up at address bar* *freaks out*

I can finally cross it off the list!

Signs we're living in the future:

• Hoverboards
  • Self-fasting shoes/jackets
  • No more "http://"
  • End to world hunger

artist

Banned
Why is Chrome's revisions done in such huge increments? 6 already? In a few years, we'll be at Chrome 13? :lol

Installing. <3

Talon

I love the UI changes - everything's more understated.

Google finally is making the turnaround on the UI front across Gmail, Chrome, and Android.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
irfan said:
Why is Chrome's revisions done in such huge increments? 6 already? In a few years, we'll be at Chrome 13? :lol

Installing. <3

To be fair does the number really matter? The key here is they are a big web based ad company, and just in general are trying to put a lot behind their browser. You're just gonna get a alot of revisions when you are working this fast. That being said I think opera does their numbering system better.

BeeDog said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there any extension for Chrome that adds RSS feeds in an intuitive and integrated way (e.g. a sidepane)? It's the only reason I'm still using Firefox (too used to the "Brief" extension), and I'd love to have something similar in Chrome, since I'm sick of the memory hogging Firefox does.

I'd like to know this too. RSS and a few Extensions are the only reason I'm still with Firefox. But with the latter, it's always possible to see those ported to Chrome.

BTW, what's Extension Syncing?

Choppasmith said:
I'd like to know this too. RSS and a few Extensions are the only reason I'm still with Firefox. But with the latter, it's always possible to see those ported to Chrome.

BTW, what's Extension Syncing?

I'll take a stab in the dark and guess the ability to sync your extensions?...I mean what is bookmark sync? replace bookmark with extensions and ta-daaa!

Sorry for being an ass.

Is it just me or does it use more RAM now? Thanks to flash I'm using over 200 megabytes with GAF in one tab and Pandora in the other.

Angelus Errare said:
I'll take a stab in the dark and guess the ability to sync your extensions?...I mean what is bookmark sync? replace bookmark with extensions and ta-daaa!

Sorry for being an ass.

Nah, it is kinda stupid being an avid fan of Xmarks and knowing what that does :lol I thought maybe it was something different especially considering I could find no Syncing option anywhere.

Just installed Chrome 6 (on it now) and I've gotta say: faster than Chrome 5, and WAYYYYYYYYYYYY faster than Firefox 3.x... so much faster. Installed the adblock extension and I think I'll stop using Firefox at this point. NeoGAF loaded faster on Chrome 6 for the first time than it does cached on Firefox!

And the god-awful, image-intensive IGN.com loaded about 4-5x faster on Chrome than it did on Firefox, just tested 'em right now. Wow. It's like the difference between driving a Civic and driving an Evo. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Quick impressions:

- Gmail is TONS faster and feels much snappier. The yellow "Loading..." at the top lasts for less than a second now when before it could take 4-6 seconds.

- Ctrl-clicking/middle-clicking links is a lot faster, but still slightly sluggish. Usually I Ctrl click a bunch of threads from the User CP so this is very important to me.

Edit- This is pretty big for me, when you press "Alt," it selects the wrench like it did before, however now you can move left to select extensions that have badges! :D :D :D Then enter or space to open it up!

JBuccCP said:
I wish they would give you a "properties" selection when you right click an image.

The extensions API has opened up to context menus. I expect we'll see an extension for that with Chrome 7.

Choppasmith said:
Nah, it is kinda stupid being an avid fan of Xmarks and knowing what that does :lol I thought maybe it was something different especially considering I could find no Syncing option anywhere.

It synchronizes the extensions tied to your Google account if you want. I don't know if it actually synchronizes the data associated with each extension, though (like preferences for a setting, etc.)

Nabs

I use the gmail preview feature (where it shows you your inbox while it's loading) and now it's useless :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Am I from the future or something? I'm pretty sure I've had these changes for a couple of weeks.

edit:
To the below post.. yep. Just checked my version. Don't remember installing a beta build.

Nabs

user_nat said:
Am I from the future or something? I'm pretty sure I've had these changes for a couple of weeks.
beta channel? i've been on it for a while as well.

starsky

Thank you! Chrome never clicks with me before, too many page errors and just terrible experience but now I'm seriously considering to make it my default browser. Really great improvement, blazing fast, no more page error, and extensions.

bathala

Banned
does chrome finally have a decent ad blocker that just doesn't make an ad not appear (but still running in the background), and also block video ads (gametrailer)?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
bakemono said:
Thank you! Chrome never clicks with me before, too many page errors and just terrible experience but now I'm seriously considering to make it my default browser. Really great improvement, blazing fast, no more page error, and extensions.

It's definitely the best stable browser out now. Firefox 4 and IE9 are shaping up pretty strong as well (FF4 for taking UI cues from Chrome and crazy stuff like tab candy, IE9 for actual standards-compliance and GPU acceleration), but as far as out-there, stable versions go, Chrome 6 is the current king. :D

*pours one out for my homies Opera, my previous lover*

Van Owen

Banned
bathala said:
does chrome finally have a decent ad blocker that just doesn't make an ad not appear (but still running in the background), and also block video ads (gametrailer)?

I think adblock now actually blocks the majority of ads, except for flash stuff before videos. One of the reasons I stick with Firefox.

bathala

Banned
Van Owen said:
I think adblock now actually blocks the majority of ads, except for flash stuff before videos. One of the reasons I stick with Firefox.
I guess I'll stick with Firefox for now, but damn the memory

tabsina

I'm surprised that stable and beta are currently at the same version #, and they were updated at the same time, too (but beta just went from 6.x.x.51 to 6.x.x.53, rather than from 5.x like stable)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
JBuccCP said:
I wish they would give you a "properties" selection when you right click an image.

I just found out Chrome has a context menu api and whipped this up quickly.

unless somebody beats me to it (or already has) I'll try and put this up soon for people to download

pXIll.png

(it won't look this bad)

Threi

notag
D4Danger said:
I just found out Chrome has a context menu api and whipped this up quickly.

unless somebody beats me to it (or already has) I'll try and put this up soon for people to download

pXIll.png

(it won't look this bad)
DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

Top Bottom