• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Qwell

I love the fact the game has 4 player split screen, too many current gen games have forgotten about the fun of local co-op, but I can lose hours in this game with my friends when they come over. I haven't played in a bit, but its a game I tend to come back to over and over again.

Unregistered007 said:
Honestly this game is horrible. At this day and age the AI is just pathetic.

The IA is the best racing AI ever. It's not only clever but also bad ass and even a raging dirty cheap cheating whore during the last event.

Who's ever been in a very good position to win a race but then the AI was just aiming to kill you/run over you with bigger wheels/smash you in a turn/crash you against a wall/push you over a cliff instead of finishing up first ?

What about the time you are close second and you fear so much to pass the AI because it could smash you so violently you would end up loosing your second place ?

The AI is so full of hate and rage that it's making motorstorm's races so unique and to me, the best races this generation.

Barrett2

Unregistered007 said:
Honestly this game is horrible. At this day and age the AI is just pathetic.

The rubber-banding is pretty bad. It's hard to enjoy the races very much when you know that no matter what you do the 5 min + race will be decided by 2 or 3 seconds, which is absurdly unrealistic for this type of racing game.

I like the series, but it feels very 'artificial.'

MDSLKTR

UnluckyKate said:
The AI is so full of hate and rage that it's making motorstorm's races so unique and to me, the best races this generation.

Same here. The ia in wipeout hd on elite is merciless too. Those games take too much of my playing time :lol

Burekma

UnluckyKate said:
The IA is the best racing AI ever. It's not only clever but also bad ass and even a raging dirty cheap cheating whore during the last event.

Who's ever been in a very good position to win a race but then the AI was just aiming to kill you/run over you with bigger wheels/smash you in a turn/crash you against a wall/push you over a cliff instead of finishing up first ?

What about the time you are close second and you fear so much to pass the AI because it could smash you so violently you would end up loosing your second place ?

The problem is, though, that on ranks 6 and up, 90% of the time the AI becomes aggressive to the point of going on suicide missions. Like, as you mentioned, deliberately driving off a cliff or crashing to a wall with you. They pretty much do anything to prevent you from winning, but at the same time, they do little to win themselves.

Add to that the rubberbanding and the AI just ends up feeling cheap and frustrating.

IMO, online and splitscreen are where the game truly shines. You keep the aggressiveness, but lose the rubberbanding and suiciding. -> WIN!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Motorstorm get. It was nice paying $20 for a game that still had a $59.99 sticker on it, damn Sony 1st party games don't ever price drop. Anyways, I've played a couple hours and I'm having a lot of fun so far. I love the high speed intensity, it's just what I like in a racing game. I like the open courses with multiple routes, you're not forced to just drive in a circle for 2/3 laps, that appeals to me. The variety in vehicles is cool too, I'm into the buggy's right now. The crashes are pretty awesome, I've had a few where I just tapped something and exploded but overall they look cool. It seems like a really good game, I can't believe I've ignored it for over a year, but I'll have a lot of fun playing this, especially split screen with friends.

lawblob said:
The rubber-banding is pretty bad. It's hard to enjoy the races very much when you know that no matter what you do the 5 min + race will be decided by 2 or 3 seconds, which is absurdly unrealistic for this type of racing game.

I like the series, but it feels very 'artificial.'

What is unrealistic is starting in last place and ending up first by the first corner which is possible on 90% of the racing games out there.
The difference b/w motorstorm and the majority of boreracers is that your victory isn't assured until you actually cross the finish line, with every other racing game your victory is pretty much cemented after the first lap.
If you only enjoy racing games where you are racing in clean air for 99% of the race then you will not like this game. Simple.

BatmanX

Yesterday I was invited to play it online by a friend. It was months since I didn't touch the game (my 2008 goty with lbp). I was very surprised to see there are still several people playing online :O

My hopes for motorstorm3 still keepin'

quetz67

Banned
Burekma said:
The problem is, though, that on ranks 6 and up, 90% of the time the AI becomes aggressive to the point of going on suicide missions. Like, as you mentioned, deliberately driving off a cliff or crashing to a wall with you. They pretty much do anything to prevent you from winning, but at the same time, they do little to win themselves.

Add to that the rubberbanding and the AI just ends up feeling cheap and frustrating.

IMO, online and splitscreen are where the game truly shines. You keep the aggressiveness, but lose the rubberbanding and suiciding. -> WIN!
You are right, the opponents get a 'little' unfair in higher levels.

But that rubberbanding is a myth. There is no rubberbanding, just in higher levels your opponents are always right on your tail and will pass you whenever you make a mistake.

I eloborated on this in another topic already. Take a rank 8 race and drive it perfectly to a certain point.

If you crash in lap 1, you'll get probably passed by all the other vehicle.
If you crash in lap 2, you'll get passed by some.
If you crash in lap 3, you'll probably stay in lead after the crash or regain it very fast.

Getting passed may feel like rubberbanding, but what happens is simple. The other cars drive at about the same speed as you do, but they make mistakes. These mistakes accumulate over time, so the longer you drive perfectly the more you win on the pack. Some may make only zero or one mistake, those will still pass you in lap 3, but most have made several then and wont get you even when crahing once or twice.

Dont crash (and take the best route of course) and you will win every race incl. rank 8. Yeah, in some of the races you wont get a headstart and you need to pass a few other cars (with the mentioned unfairness attached) and you will curse the game, but avoiding them and learning the tracks will make you emerge victorious.

I did and I am a weaksauce gamer, I just found this to be rather challenging than frustrating, as with every race I improved on the last, which IMHO is a proof for great game design. My hint on beating this game, learn to master the tracks, not the 'interaction' with the other vehicles.

trk_rkd

Banned
quetz67 said:
You are right, the opponents get a 'little' unfair in higher levels.

But that rubberbanding is a myth. There is no rubberbanding, just in higher levels your opponents are always right on your tail and will pass you whenever you make a mistake.

I eloborated on this in another topic already. Take a rank 8 race and drive it perfectly to a certain point.

If you crash in lap 1, you'll get probably passed by all the other vehicle.
If you crash in lap 2, you'll get passed by some.
If you crash in lap 3, you'll probably stay in lead after the crash or regain it very fast.

Getting passed may feel like rubberbanding, but what happens is simple. The other cars drive at about the same speed as you do, but they make mistakes. These mistakes accumulate over time, so the longer you drive perfectly the more you win on the pack. Some may make only zero or one mistake, those will still pass you in lap 3, but most have made several then and wont get you even when crahing once or twice.

Dont crash (and take the best route of course) and you will win every race incl. rank 8. Yeah, in some of the races you wont get a headstart and you need to pass a few other cars (with the mentioned unfairness attached) and you will curse the game, but avoiding them and learning the tracks will make you emerge victorious.

I did and I am a weaksauce gamer, I just found this to be rather challenging than frustrating, as with every race I improved on the last, which IMHO is a proof for great game design. My hint on beating this game, learn to master the tracks, not the 'interaction' with the other vehicles.

Hmmm i love ms:pr but i respectfully disagree about this... on higher difficulty levels a crash (or even two crashes) on the first lap is rarely fatal to your race chances, yet a crash in the last 45 seconds is *usually* fatal to your first place no matter how well you raced prior to that.

quetz67

Banned
trk_rkd said:
Hmmm i love ms:pr but i respectfully disagree about this... on higher difficulty levels a crash (or even two crashes) on the first lap is rarely fatal to your race chances, yet a crash in the last 45 seconds is *usually* fatal to your first place no matter how well you raced prior to that.
That does not really contradict what I wrote. Yeah, a late crash can be fatal. That can be because

a) one or some of the other cars did a pretty perfect race too (still you will experience that in the last lap less cars will pass you than in the first)
b) you just didnt find the best route and your edge over your toughest competitor is less than it could be at that time

But it has nothing to do with rubber banding. That would mean the others are already a good distance behind and just pass you because they suddendly get a "supernatural" boost. MS:pR is hard, no question, but that rubberbanding is an excuse of the weak.

I actually got to Best Buy before the store opened yesterday :lol

Love the 4 player split screen. My friends and I are having a blast(even with the hax AI :p)

I also bought the 2 DLC's after playing an all nighter ;)

Also picked this up for $20 at Best Buy. The game is a lot of fun, but jeez I feel like they really over did it with the vibration on this one. Really distracted me from the game. Luckily you can turn it down/off.

Man, this game is preettty.

GQman2121

Banned
The visuals take a huge hit with four-player split screen. And even with a 46" tv we all had to move up to within feet of the screen to make out where we were going.

Still, it was steal for $20 and the single player is really enjoyable.

Agent X

peppermints said:
Also picked this up for $20 at Best Buy. The game is a lot of fun, but jeez I feel like they really over did it with the vibration on this one. Really distracted me from the game. Luckily you can turn it down/off.

I think they did a good job with it, as it's handy on a couple of the tracks. I was surprised to see in the option menu that the default setting (which I've been using) is called "medium". You mean there's an even stronger setting? The controller would practically be jumping out of your hand at that point!

peppermints said:
Man, this game is preettty.

It sure is! :D

Photo mode is great fun, too. Some of the shots I've taken could almost pass for real-life photographs.

Fry's had it for $20 and I grabbed one of the last 2 copies on the shelf. I never played the first one since I didn't get my PS3 until MGS4 came along, so I'm looking forward to ridiculous and awesome Burnout-style crashing while off-road racing. :lol

MDSLKTR

Any ideas on how to make the custom soundtrack sound better?
It just doesn't sound as good as in wipeout because the game puts the music behind all the sound environnement (but the original soundtrack is perfect tough), sure i can turn down the sound almost till the end but then i lose the "oomph".

To the person who said the rubber band AI is a myth: hahahahahahahaha

Seriously, i can round a turn and have the perfect line and be far enough ahead and all of a sudden, 3-4 cars start whizzing by as if I hit a patch of quicksand. I can catch up to the leader of the race prior to the final turn but after that, even if you've been doing excellent, the moment you approach the final stretch, you'll never ctach up as you'll see them speeding further and further ahead with no chance of you gaining on them..... it's quite frustrating and maddeningly histerical.

MDSLKTR said:
Any ideas on how to make the custom soundtrack sound better?
It just doesn't sound as good as in wipeout because the game puts the music behind all the sound environnement (but the original soundtrack is perfect tough), sure i can turn down the sound almost till the end but then i lose the "oomph".

You need to go into the music player options and turn up the volume of the console (the speaker icon). I think you press triangle while on the music player.

sun-drop

this was a 09 game right? ...how is it not in most sites top 5 ps3 titles .. at the least it should be taking out the racer awards. fucking brilliant game. love it

ascii42

sun-drop said:
this was a 09 game right? ...how is it not in most sites top 5 ps3 titles .. at the least it should be taking out the racer awards. fucking brilliant game. love it
08, it came out around the same time as LittleBigPlanet.

tzare

sun-drop said:
it the best racing game this gen for me, and with uncharted and its sequel, my preferred ps3 game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pacific Rift has been a huge hit with my friends, I've been surprised by how fun this game is. I love the high speeds, crashes, but the variety of vehicles and terrain make it really fun for me. I just bought all the new maps tonight, they seem good, the more jumps and crazy wipeout opportunities the better. It's probably my favorite racing game this gen, over Burnout Paradise, Grid and maybe Wipeout HD.

Also, Custom Soundtracks <3. Justice is perfect for this game.

GQman2121

Banned
What's the over/under on GT5 using the same kind of system for custom soundtracks that this game uses? It really needs that shit (all racers do) because it's fucking awesome!!!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Motorstorm 3 better not have cheating AI. My friend and I like to do alll rally cars on Badlands (on Hard) and it's impossible to get 1st. The "destined to win" car, as we call it will occasionally just disappear in front of which ever one of us is in 2nd then re-appear later, farther ahead. We also tried a single player race of the same kind and my friend, who was in 4th, crashed an AI around 100-200 yards from the finish line and yet that same AI came in first. Such bs.

V_Ben

Banned
tzare said:
can't tell more but FUCK YEAH :D

dscn1611l.jpg

you, good sir, are a c*nt. a glorious, marvelous c*nt. Thanks for this :D

V_Ben

Banned
tzare said:
i also would like to know more, but i am not the one playing it. I only know it does exist, nothing else. And i hope the one playing it does not get mad at me XD

oh, snapped from friends list? nice :D

Cruzader

Banned
Meh.

No in-game cockpit view, no buy like the first 2. Dirt2 has this, ffs put it in there already! Also bikes need in-helmet view or bust too!

Top Bottom