• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Physical version of LA Noire on Switch will require 14 GB of "gameplay data" to work.

Sinfamy

That's some feedback.

How is this Nintendos fault?
Not condoning his outburst, but it'll be Nintendo's fault until they allow external hard drives in docked mode, while making the games unavailable in portable mode.
They cut costs on internal memory and do not subsidize cartridges.

ckaneo

Not condoning his outburst, but it'll be Nintendo's fault until they allow external hard drives in docked mode, while making the games unavailable in portable mode.
They cut costs internal memory and do not subsidize cartridges.

How do you know they don't subsidize cartridges? They might not take them to regular prices, but I doubt they are completely profitable

Hinedorf

Banned
If you're not buying an additional memory card for your Switch, that's on you. There's a price to pay for being portable, and it's worth every penny.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
If you're not buying an additional memory card for your Switch, that's on you. There's a price to pay for being portable, and it's worth every penny.

The disgust here isnt about needing additional memory.

It's that you're buying a physical game, that doesn't work / provide you with the full experience.

and you're paying $10 more.

Great work if you get this on Christmas, and then have to spend the next day downloading the 14 gig.

Bickle2

How do you know they don't subsidize cartridges? They might not take them to regular prices, but I doubt they are completely profitable

Because of the $10 premium. 32GB cards of equivalent capacity and speed can be had, retail, for $6.99. They’re gouging hardcore, I also find it likely that they haven’t actually ordered 32 GB cards, at least none that they don’t already have committed. Their manufacturing costs are already double and triple what it cost to press A Blu-ray before the markup. They’re making a bare minimum of 3 to 4 dollars a cartridge profit, and that’s before platform royalties.

But since its Nintendo,, all sins are forgiven

Gamezone

Gold Member

That's not the problem. You either release a full game on cartridge or go digital, not some half assed hybrid shit.

PetrCobra

Well I do have an additional 128GB card and this news made the decision not to buy the game really easy. Now if I could buy a 2TB card for a good price, I'd probably just buy the game on eShop, but this kind of bullshit I won't support either way.

geordiemp

Also as their CEO said, I quote, return to Nintendo like profits.

But its common sense to charge what the customer is willing to pay, so for portable yes they can if users cough up.

Why isn’t there the same level of outrage for the billion gig daybone patches that are required for all AAA games released on PS4 and XBOX?

Grinchy

Banned
Why isn't there the same level of outrage for the billion gig daybone patches that are required for all AAA games released on PS4 and XBOX?

The Switch only comes with 32GB of internal memory. This would be like buying a 1TB Xbox, and one game took up 500GB of it. Obviously, it would make sense to complain about that game needing 500GB of space, no?

test_account

XP-39C²
Why isn’t there the same level of outrage for the billion gig daybone patches that are required for all AAA games released on PS4 and XBOX?
Those patches arent required for single player. And on PC, its been common practice for years to activate games through the internet before they work, people are used to it. There were also discussions around this when it happened now on Call of Duty WW2.

The Switch only comes with 32GB of internal memory, and once you start playing games on it, you can't transfer your saves to a new internal memory card if you decide to buy an expensive upgrade for it.

This would be like buying a 1TB Xbox, and one game took up 500GB of it. Obviously, it would make sense to complain about that game needing 500GB of space, no?

All your game saves are stored in the 32 gig system memory only.

icam_17

Yikes that's a lot. I still really want this on Switch. Is it weird that this might not stop me from buying it?

Well this type of thing of "downloading the game on your system to make the game work" has been going on for years on the other systems to the point where even large hard drives get filled up, you just make the choice if it's worth getting a microSD card for, you will need it eventually, more space is always require on all current systems

I cant say i care too much about this but it certainly seals the deal on buying the digital version of a game under these circumstances. Not really sure what the appeal would be of having a physical version in this case other than being able to trade it in or sell it down the road.

clem84

Gold Member
The physical game doesn't work by itself. This is a digital game. They're just giving you part of the game on a cart. It saves you from downloading it I guess. This is no different than purchasing a code in a Gamestop store.

Very surprised Nintendo is allowing this. I guess I shouldn't be. Maybe they want to slowly transition people to digital.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
How would we fix this?

Make the Physical game a SD card? (I'm not sure this is even possible)

Make it digital only? (Nintendo would not like the loss on shelf space for a Rockstar game)

Pony up for a 32GB cart?

Dock Needs a Hard Drive Option more than ever!!!!!

prag16

Banned
Because of the $10 premium. 32GB cards of equivalent capacity and speed can be had, retail, for $6.99. They’re gouging hardcore, I also find it likely that they haven’t actually ordered 32 GB cards, at least none that they don’t already have committed. Their manufacturing costs are already double and triple what it cost to press A Blu-ray before the markup. They’re making a bare minimum of 3 to 4 dollars a cartridge profit, and that’s before platform royalties.

But since its Nintendo,, all sins are forgiven

That's the issue. Somebody's pocketing something. There's no way a 16GB cartridge vs 8GB justifies a price tag $10 higher. It's almost certainly less than $5 difference in terms of actual manufacturing cost.

Who is pocketing the difference? The manufacturer? Nintendo? The publisher? Some combination thereof?

Really Nintendo should be eating the cost in order to drive up 3rd party sales and make it up on volume while also increasing the viability of their platform.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I guess I'm cool with it, I mean it's pretty fucking rad that this is coming out in the first place!!! Also, I'm Just tired of being outraged at everything.

Kinda glad the GAF user base split to be honest. Been way less "stressed" while browsing and its good to be having sensible discussions again.

Here's to common sense! Oh and GAF!!

Gamezone

Gold Member
The physical game doesn't work by itself. This is a digital game. They're just giving you part of the game on a cart. It saves you from downloading it I guess. This is no different than purchasing a code in a Gamestop store.

Very surprised Nintendo is allowing this. I guess I shouldn't be. Maybe they want to slowly transition people to digital.

Microsoft and Sony is also allowing this. Just look at Telltale`s physical season pass discs. But yeah, it shouldn`t be allowed.

Tabasco

If it was me, I might just buy a game digitally instead if a physical copy tries to pull shit like this.

atpbx

The switch in best of both worlds worst of both worlds shocker.

It’s simultaneously the best and absolute worst console in the history of gaming.

ehead

Man, I was looking forward to buying this since I will be on a 10+ hour flight in December. I might be holding off for now, and just wait for a sale. I could've easily bought this on Steam for $10 but would appreciate a narrative-driven game I could play anywhere.

Also, they haven't even published actual screenshots/videos of gameplay yet.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's the issue. Somebody's pocketing something. There's no way a 16GB cartridge vs 8GB justifies a price tag $10 higher. It's almost certainly less than $5 difference in terms of actual manufacturing cost.

Who is pocketing the difference? The manufacturer? Nintendo? The publisher? Some combination thereof?

Really Nintendo should be eating the cost in order to drive up 3rd party sales and make it up on volume while also increasing the viability of their platform.

Nintendo giving PSOne a huge boost by screwing people over with their proprietary cartridges, minimum orders, time to fulfill order and delay for each further “reprints”, etc... people heard this company would bring their next home console back to cartridges/carts and this was suddenly great news with voices chanting that thanks to their small size packaging was going to be super tiny (it is massive compared to the carts themselves, but then again for retail you do not want your packaging to be too small anyways) and this save tons of money in shipping that they would have invested in subsidising carts costs for developers, etc...

They do have brilliantly managed to still have cheaper physical games on Amazon than their own eShop...

SeppOCE

Not buying it then.

On switch im currently on top of beating my games and selling them when I’m done. Ive got a pretty decent chunk of digital games and games that have no current resale value to me. Games like Mario Kart with infinite replayability and cave story with limited collector items in the box will stay with me for now.

Because of this I don’t actually need to get a micro sd card yet but I also don’t have enough space to download 15gb for a game. Until theres cloud saves or backup saves I’m not deleting my digital games either.

Top Bottom