• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown on the benefits of working with Microsoft

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought this would make more sense as a separate thread, since I didn't want to overrun the rest of the interview with this discussion.

Highlights:
  • Microsoft is sending over a bunch of staff to both Bluehole in Korea and utilizing their staff in Spain to help port the game while the main team keeps working on the PC version.
  • Microsoft is also helping them with security and anti-cheat design for the PC version.
  • Microsoft is aiding them in designing the controller feel (button mappings, auto-aim, etc) for the game, utilizing their experience in developing console shooters.
  • They also get to share in a lot of Microsoft's Unreal Engine 4 technology extensions. For example, they're considering putting Rare's water tech from Sea of Thieves in the game.
  • When asked about a PS4 version, PlayerUnknown notes that the biggest issue there is that they're incredibly strapped for staff on the team (they're currently trying to go from 120 staff to 300, and the rest of Bluehole's staff has to still handle their other games) that they can only really handle the PC version and the Xbox version currently. As previously mentioned, Microsoft is handling a lot of the Xbox version to boot. Microsoft's early access program (Xbox Game Preview) also lets them put this out while the game is still in early access more easily.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...e-can-get-to-league-of-legends-level-of-users

Kayant

Well props to MS for giving them that kind of support wasn't expecting it to be so expansive.

PUBG will do very well this holidays when it releases on XB1.

I thought this would make more sense as a separate thread, since I didn't want to overrun the rest of the interview with this discussion.

Highlights:
  • Microsoft is sending over a bunch of staff to both Bluehole in Korea and utilizing their staff in Spain to help port the game while the main team keeps working on the PC version.
  • Microsoft is also helping them with security and anti-cheat design for the PC version.
  • Microsoft is aiding them in designing the controller feel (button mappings, auto-aim, etc) for the game, utilizing their experience in developing console shooters.
  • They also get to share in a lot of Microsoft's Unreal Engine 4 technology extensions. For example, they're considering putting Rare's water tech from Sea of Thieves in the game.
  • When asked about a PS4 version, PlayerUnknown notes that the biggest issue there is that they're incredibly strapped for staff on the team (they're currently trying to go from 120 staff to 300, and the rest of Bluehole's staff has to still handle their other games) that they can only really handle the PC version and the Xbox version currently. As previously mentioned, Microsoft is handling a lot of the Xbox version to boot. Microsoft's early access program (Xbox Game Preview) also lets them put this out while the game is still in early access more easily.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...e-can-get-to-league-of-legends-level-of-users

omg so PUBG will have the best looking water, soon?
sales will double!

I know this kinda is a grey area with early access games, but MS would be smart to have retail prescense with this in the fall. Fortnite is doing it so it could work.

Not Having this game in retail outlets next to Xbox displays would be a horribly missed opportunity.

I know this kinda is a grey area with early access games, but MS would be smart to have retail prescense with this in the fall. Fortnite is doing it so it could work.

Not Having this game in retail outlets next to Xbox displays would be a horribly missed opportunity.

I would agree. At least a branded console with PUBG packaging even if it's the digital version included.

Finaj

Would adding tech from a Microsoft published game prevent it from coming to PS4? Or would the tech just not be used in the PS4 port?

Microsoft is sending over a bunch of staff to both Bluehole in Korea and utilizing their staff in Spain to help port the game while the main team keeps working on the PC version.

staff = $$$

Microsoft is also helping them with security and anti-cheat design for the PC version.

doing stuff for them for free = $$$

Microsoft is aiding them in designing the controller feel (button mappings, auto-aim, etc) for the game, utilizing their experience in developing console shooters.

doing stuff for them for free = $$$

They also get to share in a lot of Microsoft's Unreal Engine 4 technology extensions. For example, they're considering putting Rare's water tech from Sea of Thieves in the game.

free tech = $$$

good on xbox for helping out a small developer financially

Makes sense as to why they went with MS first. Hopefully the knowledge from UE4 on Sea of Thieves and Gears of War 4 can help them get the game running a bit more smoothly.

Also happy to see it won't affect the PC development, which is what I care about the most.

kadotsu

Banned
The close cooperation with Bluehole has been the smarted 3rd party related move MS has made since upping the memory of the 360 after Epic complained.

sikkinixx

Strapped for staff eh? How many hundreds of millions in sales but ain't got no cash? Just stick to the rest you wrote: MS opened their wallet and gave us resources.

twisted89

They also get to share in a lot of Microsoft's Unreal Engine 4 technology extensions. For example, they're considering putting Rare's water tech from Sea of Thieves in the game.

Probably Xbox exclusive -_-

This makes more sense, Microsoft lends a helping hand on a game they want on the 1X.

It's wild to think how much attention a early access game is getting, I say this while playing it myself.

Does anyone think with this push the price point would go up, or is that expected with a finished game?

I think $39 is ok for where it's at now. What say you?

Awesome stuff. Sounds like MS is really expecting this game to do great on Xbox. And I sure as hell am looking forward to finding out what all the buzz is all about :)

But it's clear the game is a huge success on PC, so it must be doing something right.

FelipeMGM

they seem really thrilled with the way things are going for them, thats nice

Also, Sea of Thieves water is god tier, so hell yeah do jump on that

Highlights:

Awesome! Just what I was hoping for.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Smart move on Microsoft's part to do everything they can to get this game out to console folks.

Sony needs to step up as well.

blakep267

This makes more sense, Microsoft lends a helping hand on a game they want on the 1X.

It's wild to think how much attention a early access game is getting, I say this while playing it myself.

Does anyone think with this push the price point would go up, or is that expected with a finished game?

I think $39 is ok for where it's at now. What say you?
$35-$39.99 is the normal price for most of the early access Xbox games. Ark and we happy few increased price when the full versions released

nubbe

someone is getting an XboneX

9LgDwGX.jpg

This one would be a little strange, considering Microsoft probably won't allow Rare's water tech on the PS4 port, which means there could be visual differences in the X1 and PS4 ports not caused by any hardware limitations, but rather due to proprietary tech. Very weird.

So it's definitely releasing as early access then.

Yep. It was the plan all along. I don't think this was ever going to appear as a finished title on Xbox first especially with the Game Preview plan being available. Worked for PC and it seems like a no brainer it is going to work for the Xbox One especially with Microsoft helping out each step of the way.

If I had been MS I would have done all I can to make this game a full exclusive. There's no telling if they haven't offered them that already of course. For MS that would be huge but don't get me wrong, at the end of the day it's much better that every game gets to experience the game.

They could certainly use the money and tech expertise. The game will only get better with some extra financial backing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If I had been MS I would have done all I can to make this game a full exclusive. There's no telling if they haven't offered them that already of course. For MS that would be huge but don't get me wrong, at the end of the day it's much better that every game gets to experience the game.

The sack of money would have to be redonkulous to offset the losses.
And if they are planning for this game to be on a service-tier like Minecraft, there's no sense in any exclusivity.

A gun metal or black Xbox One S with PUBG for $249. You're welcome.

I'm super duper curious on the state of this game on the base XB1. It already brings pretty beefy PC's to their knees even while looking like garbage, so it's going to be fascinating to see how the XB1 version will stack up.

Sounds great, with the right push this game can sell millions on Xbox, which in turn will move consoles. Make it look good better on X1X and bam, you've got a system seller for this holiday. Should do along with Forza.

The sack of money would have to be redonkulous to offset the losses.
And if they are planning for this game to be on a service-tier like Minecraft, there's no sense in any exclusivity.

That's true.

Graphically this game isn't too great though, is it? So it's gonna be the water that truly stands out, haha.

jelly

But graphically this game isn't too great though, is it? So it's gonna be the water that truly stands out, haha.

I think Microsoft will probably try to buy them and do another multi platform Minecraft. /waves a $billion cheque.

Par Score

Strapped for staff eh? How many hundreds of millions in sales but ain't got no cash? Just stick to the rest you wrote: MS opened their wallet and gave us resources.

Money doesn't magically create quality game developers.

Hiring quality for almost any position at almost any company always takes a lot of time and a lot of effort.

With the way that PUBG has blown up, it's not like they've just been sitting on cash twiddling their thumbs.

Top Bottom