• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer details

- Don't expect much of the old linear platforming formula. "We're now giving the player the opportunity to go into a space and choose their own path. Where we take you across the ledge of the B-52 bomber, that's a tutorial. Once you move away from the plane, everything is basically open, dynamic traversal where the player has the freedom to roam around a jump from location to location with ease..."

- You'll be able to air steer, direction control, speed her up/down during jumps

- The game has an XP system. You'll be able to use this for upgrading Lara's abilities. You'll also have to scavenge for materials to upgrade Lara's equipment

- The base camps will allow you to upgrade Lara's abilities, improve your equipment and fast travel to other base camps that you've visited on the island

- Early on you'll only have a few options to upgrade Lara, such as giving her the ability to carry additional arrows for her bow or increasing the speed that she's able to shoot the arrows. As you continue the system will open up and allow you to shape her abilities to your playstyle.

- The context-sensitive actions are one-off sequences. For example, the scene with Lara stabbing the wolf is only going to happen once in the game. They say that if you do it right the first time it'll have an impact.

- "There is linearity to the story - you have to go from point A to point B - but there's junctions in between where we want the player to feel like they're real explorers." These are described as non-linear hub spaces that you can come back to at different times of day.

Jb

- "There is linearity to the story - you have to go from point A to point B - but there's junctions in between where we want the player to feel like they're real explorers." These are described as non-linear hub spaces that you can come back to at different times of day.

So like an MGS game? Could be good.

DieH@rd

Banned
CMON UNBELIEVERS, EAT IT !!!!

crow.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
As long as the gameplay and camera is an improvement over Underworld I am in. I thought there was a pretty good game in there somewhere, but the fidgety controls killed it for me. This is looking like a pretty big leap in the right direction so far for me.

KorrZ

I'm really hyped for this game. Everything sounds great, and that E3 trailer was incredible. Bring on the stage demo!

Not to sure about this XP system, seems a little gamey for the rest of the tone that they've presented so far. Something where upgrades come through use would maybe have felt more integrated, ie. use a bow a lot, get better at shooting.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
As long as there are some tombs it's all fine by me.

CMON UNBELIEVERS, EAT IT !!!!

crow.jpg

Oh goody, Hitman thread 2.0.

I dunno about most people, but cynicism for this game has nothing to do with its supposed open-worldness - it's entirely down to the poor animation, overwrought tone, and the tired female-in-peril tropes.

zroid

Banned
alright, this stuff sounds pretty good. I guess the trailer's goal was to make it look as Unchartedy as possible (for obvious reasons), but these details make it sound like a... far cry... from that.

Majmun

XP system means you have to shoot at a lot of things to earn XP.

Don't think I like the idea...

The_Monk

I can't wait for this game, really, I can't.

SE really want this game to be good and I'm all up for that, love Tomb Raider series.

Jb

I guess that statement is kind of true of the Big Shell in MGS2, but the other games? Not sure how you figure.

Well you kind of go through semi-linear levels with occasional backtracking. Although not in 4 I guess. I dunno, seemed like the closest comparison I could think of.

It's basically Mario-style platforming where you still have a lot of control over him when he's in the air.
I'm curious to see how they implement it on a realistic character. I've seen it mostly from Mario and Rayman. Wondering how the animation will play out. I do prefer this over the key-animation of Uncharted platforming.
How do you earn XP?
Killing stuff? Finding treasures? Bosses? Hopefully more to do with exploration than killing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Why not show like...any of this in the trailer? I'll believe it when I play it.

Cartoony-like platforming though? WTF?

XP system means you have to shoot at a lot of things to earn XP.

Don't think I like the idea...

Earn XP through exploration, discover hidden caves/tombs, complete challenges, hunting, etc. Lots of ways to earn XP without having to shoot a lot of things.

WilyRook

Lara's Souls. Kidding, but that stuff sounds cool. I'm looking forward to playing it and seeing for myself.

Top Bottom