• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Trailer 2

Is it jaw dropping for me from a visual perspective, its exactly what I imagine a ghost in the shell / blade runner world looks like if I close my eyes.

Not sure whats going on story wise though, a bit confusing but that may not be a bad thing from a trailer perspective. Hopefully the story can match the visuals and acting, either way I think I'll be there day one.

Did all the good cinematographers die?

I think they probably did.

Also I didn't know Jared Leto was in this.

I can't wait to see him trying hard to do acting.

what do you all think the over/under is on this guy actually being able to name some good cinematographers if we asked him

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't know how to feel when watching that trailer.

I love the Blade Runner world. Read the book, played the game, watched the original and directors cut of the movie.

I feel like the new movie looks great and has some of the original atmosphere magic but is coming off as generic action movie shooter-aspode 9000. Would it kill hollywood to make a slower, more thoughtful action film? Maybe I'm wrong.

A slower, more thoughtful trailer, you mean? This 2 minutes was not the 2 hour movie.

UrbanRats

Looks good.

For some reason i was convinced that Elena Anaya was gonna be in this, but i must've mistaken/mixed up Ana De Armas' name for hers.
I don't know who she is, so it's a bit disappointing, but oh well.

border

It's kinda funny to think that after many years of re-releases, the studio has probably just managed to break even on the original Blade Runner. And now they're going to eat a massive loss on this one, restoring the franchise's status as a failure.

Looks absolutely great, though! I hope an incredible RottenTomatoes score can save it from the inevitable.

Judge trailers as trailers and movies as movies. This wouldn't be the first time in the world a studio was nervous about the reception of a movie and used marketing to drum up more excitement (and/or misrepresent it). It also wouldn't be the first time a trailer did not represent the quality of the finished film. What do you know?

I'm also sure the studio is fully aware that the original Blade Runner had a very mixed critical/public reception and only became a sci-fi darling years down the line.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's kinda funny to think that after many years of re-releases, the studio has probably just managed to break even on the original Blade Runner. And now they're going to eat a massive loss on this one, restoring the franchise's status as a failure.

Looks absolutely great, though! I hope an incredible RottenTomatoes score can save it from the inevitable.

I think that the producers are probably braced for a small loss, what they want is the kudos of making a good sequel. Nobody sane would finance a BR sequel thinking it would be a box office smash.

Ok, I just watched this. Some quick comments:

- Visually, it looks amazing.
- The music -except for those Vangelis parts- sounds so damn meh. Uninspired as hell.
- The more I watch him, the less I like Gosling as part of the cast. The guy has such a goofy aura attached to him that I just can't take his roles seriously. I think he is perfect for movies like The Nice Guys, not for more "serious" ones.
- The trailer shows way too much action, it looks more like Ghost in the Shell than Blade Runner. I hope the studio is playing with us and the movie doesn't end being like an action hero story.

I really want to be proven wrong regarding all my concerns.

Ok, I just watched this. Some quick comments:

- Visually, it looks amazing.
- The music -except for those Vangelis parts- sounds so damn meh. Uninspired as hell.
- The more I watch him, the less I like Gosling as part of the cast. The guy has such a goofy aura attached to him that I just can't take his roles seriously. I think he is perfect for movies like The Nice Guys, not for more "serious" ones.
- The trailer shows way too much action, it looks more like Ghost in the Shell than Blade Runner. I hope the studio is playing with us and the movie doesn't end being like an action hero story.

I really want to be proven wrong regarding all my concerns.

Well, it is 2 minutes taken from a 2 hour movie. You could *easily* cut an action-packed Blade Runner trailer in the same way.

border

The trailer for Sicario makes it look like some south-of-the-border shoot-em-up crossed with Training Day, where Emily Blunt inevitably turns in some dirty cops.

Instead it's Emily Blunt getting pushed around by dirty cops and not knowing what she's doing for 2 hours, with like 2-3 action sequences interspersed.

I don't think it's fair to say that Blade Runner is going to have too much action.

Well, it is 2 minutes taken from a 2 hour movie. You could *easily* cut an action-packed Blade Runner trailer in the same way.

I know, that's why I said I hope the studio is tricking us. But at the same time it could be fully representative of how the movie is going to be. That's why I'm worried.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Looks good. I'm really concerned about how this movie will perform though. Very unfortunate that this is coming out in the same year as Ghost in the Shell.

The trailer is the *only* reason to think this is going to be some action-packed blockbuster. I mean, you all have seen Villeneuve's other movies, right? If you looked at his track record and never saw this trailer, you'd have no reason to think this won't be a more cerebral, slow-paced, moody thriller.

We'll find out in October.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The trailer is the *only* reason to think this is going to be some action-packed blockbuster. I mean, you all have seen Villeneuve's other movies, right? If you looked at his track record and never saw this trailer, you'd have no reason to think this won't be a more cerebral, slow-paced, moody thriller.

We'll find out in October.

we also have someone working on the movie in this thread letting us know this trailer is intentionally misleading.

btrboyev

Looks good. I'm really concerned about how this movie will perform though. Very unfortunate that this is coming out in the same year as Ghost in the Shell.

The movie isn't going to light a blockbuster fire, but if it gets solid reviews it will do well enough. Hopefully.

Though movie goers these days are super unpredictable. If you aren't a comic book, Star Wars or a Disney/CGI movie, you aren't lighting up any charts.

Movie looks gorgeous but way too much of that is color correction. The original Blade Runner was shot with a lot of genuinely dark scenes by people who knew how to do lighting; this film's nighttime scenes are all clearly shot in full light and then color corrected to look dark, and that's a damn shame no matter how gorgeous the digitally altered colors look.

Still a fan of the creative team working on this, and obviously Deakins is brilliantly talented, but I worry that the production schedule is forcing some lazy decisions like that.

Animator

Wait are you saying Roger fucking Deakins is a bad cinematographer because LOL.

lmfao. There have been some atrocious hot takes™ on this site for the last few months, but this takes the cake.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So... the big twist is going to be that Replicants are not artificial androids but genetic evolution of humanity right? :p
Alien: Covenant spoilers:

As it turns out, Michael Fassbender created the replicants and/or all of humanity or something.

Movie looks gorgeous but way too much of that is color correction. The original Blade Runner was shot with a lot of genuinely dark scenes by people who knew how to do lighting; this film's nighttime scenes are all clearly shot in full light and then color corrected to look dark, and that's a damn shame no matter how gorgeous the digitally altered colors look.

Still a fan of the creative team working on this, and obviously Deakins is brilliantly talented, but I worry that the production schedule is forcing some lazy decisions like that.

I'm not really sure how you're determining this. Which shot? There is some BTS that shows scenes from the trailer that are clearly dark. You could always ask Roger Deakins at rogerdeakins.com. He's no stranger to shooting in the dark or at dusk. His style is exemplified by high contrast ratios and lots of shadow/blacks.

In addition, it's perfectly acceptable to add more light to the shadows to bring out more detail in the grade, as long as you keep your ratios where you want them. It really just depends on whether or not you want that detail.

Holy shit...now this movie looks fucking good! I usually see movies in the theatre once every few years since most are garbage that aren't worth the cost of admission. I believe this one will be worth it, however.

Icolin

Banned
latest

This looks so good.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm a huge fan of the original and I'm loving the look of this. Of course the trailer is action packed, it's bound to be considering they're trying to market to everyone...

I'm also a huge Villeneuve fan. I recently watch Arrival and it blew me away. I also love Sicario. I can't think of a better director or cinematographer for this.

RedSwirl

The man did Sicario and Arrival and y'all think this is gonna be some kind of fast paced action movie.

This is pretty much what got me into the movie in the first place.

Originally I didn't think it needed to be made, but then I thought the first trailer looked good and then I found out it was bot the director and composer behind Sicario, Prisoners, and Arrival.

Top Bottom