• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Hedrush

not sure if every set requires 3-4 manual changes between HDR and non HDR game mode, i think it is only Samsung, or other people are not complaining as much.

Ah I see, I didn't realise the ks8000 had issues. Fill your boots guys.

When the TV detects an HDR signal it increases the backlight to maximum automatically unless you change the backlight after it goes into HDR mode.

rinse82

Just keep on game mode for your ps4 input at all times. if the settings are right it will look good. You don't need the extra processing the non game mode provides. The only problem is in gamer mode it doesn't save separate settings for hdr and non hdr in game mode so get used to adjusting your backlight to max when HDR content is on your game console

I run everything though my AVR so all my components use the same input

DonShula

Haven't seen this mentioned yet: DON'T USE SOMEONE ELSE'S COLOR AND WHITE BALANCE SETTINGS. Those are dependent on your unique panel and will vary between panels to produce an identical picture. Rtings notes this but provides them anyway for some reason. Then inevitably we get posts to the effect of "I tried those color settings but now it looks worse." Get a disc to calibrate your color settings.

This is really a conversation that should be happening at AVS Forums anyway. One thread for calibration settings on one TV is kind of silly in a gaming forum.

The game asks you with a prompt to turn it on for the first time if it detects a HDR TV.
Btw this is something game specific.
Other games don't ask, they turn it on automatically or you have to turn it on in the settings.

Gonna sound like an idiot / dickhead asking this but...

So, Detects HDR in Game Mode, prompts to turn on HDR, you accept. Boom done.
When you then switch to non HDR stuff, it auto switches back?

Just trying to picture the scenario with going from an HDR enabled game back to the PS4 OS and then back to the HDR enabled game.

Gonna be pain if it wants to confirm the switch every single time.

Haines

Banned
Colors in HDR look really poor, not saturated, without dynamic contrast.

Are you talking ps4 or xbs?

Bc I read xbox is lacking a feature that helps with color I Think? I forget what it was.

Edit: found it

Albert penello: Not currently. We are not supporting WCG for games in Xbox One S. We are supporting the wider Bt.2020 color gamut in Xbox One S for media, however.

Sjefen

Found these setting on the day I bought the TV and can confirm that the picture is awesome and latency is very good.

Somnia

Just ordered the 55". I read some TVs require you to use the first HDMI port for HDR, is that the case here?

Are you saying you won't switch to movie mode when you watch a movie?

Correct. If your game mode it's calibrated, it shouldn't look any worse than movie mode. Game mode turns off extra processing, and you really don't need that because the content you are seeing is already being mastered by experts and the source image will be better than any additional processing can provide.

Yes and I think the Samsung saves separate settings when you are viewing HDR vs. SDR, correct?
So you don't have to change these settings every time you go back and forth between content.

Not in game mode unfortunately. Another quirk is that if you are on an input in game mode and then switch to a bulit in app like Netflix it will stay in game mode and not switch your settings property SDR vs HDR there either. So I always switch to a non game mode input before watching Netflix.

Colors in HDR look really poor, not saturated, without dynamic contrast.
Something is wrong with your settings elsewhere or your device's settings... Or you are used to crushed blacks now.

I have a dream... One day, someone will make a tv that is locked to calibrated settings, and detects black levels correctly, and displays non HDR vs HDR content correctly without changing settings, and will only allow people to adjust for brightness. One day.

This is really a conversation that should be happening at AVS Forums anyway. One thread for calibration settings on one TV is kind of silly in a gaming forum.

We have an infinite supply of threads, don't worry. If a topic isn't needed, a mod will take care of it or it will drop off the front page immediately. It is ridiculous how many threads have comments like these recently.

MCD

Then why even post settings here? Just turn on vivid mode and let people fudge around with settings on their own and everyone can go in their merry way.

The point of telling settings for me it's to dial in your display to the way the people who created the content ment it to be seen. Basically, seeing what they saw when they mastered it. And for movies there is a standard that you can calibrate towards. Your preferences are your preferences I guess but if you go down the line of getting the best picture and learning more youll understand you are introducing things that can degrade the picture in certain suggestions if you go on your preferences rather than trying to dial in your display to the Rec 709 (SDR) and Rec 2020 (HDR) standards. I didn't spend this much money on a tv that is able to do almost reference quality visuals then to not have reference quality visuals.

Meh. I tried these sites. Either they go dark or washed out to what I like. I did get used to warm 2 though.

I posted them because some might find them good enough.

Again I am no reference, just your average joe.

Pachinko

The amount of confusion and high thread count from people trying to get this stuff to work and other people not being able to really tell the difference tells me that HDR isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

Not that it bothers me much , I hope this thread helps out anyone trying to get this stuff to work (beating ones head against a wall with any tech issues isn't much fun).

We have an infinite supply of threads, don't worry. If a topic isn't needed, a mod will take care of it or it will drop off the front page immediately. It is ridiculous how many threads have comments like these recently.
Yep, plus this and the B6P are the premiere hdr tv's right now, so it'd be normal for discussion of settings on these tv's. And I think these threads are educational and it's needed with hdr being so new.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The amount of confusion and high thread count from people trying to get this stuff to work and other people not being able to really tell the difference tells me that HDR isn't quite ready for prime time yet.

Not that it bothers me much , I hope this thread helps out anyone trying to get this stuff to work (beating ones head against a wall with any tech issues isn't much fun).

All it really tells you is a good portion of NeoGAF hasn't been interested in their TV enough to try and calibrate it before. It's a new world.

The problem with Game Mode on my Samsung (JS7000) is that there's an auto dimming that can't be disabled which is really distracting at times

The only time it's off is Movie mode or when the input source is set to PC device

Not sure if that applies to the KS8000 but I'm under the impression most Samsung displays have this

Palocca

When the TV detects an HDR signal it increases the backlight to maximum automatically unless you change the backlight after it goes into HDR mode.

There's currently a bug in the firmware where the settings won't automatically adjust when HDR content is playing in Game mode.

Gonna sound like an idiot / dickhead asking this but...

So, Detects HDR in Game Mode, prompts to turn on HDR, you accept. Boom done.
When you then switch to non HDR stuff, it auto switches back?

Just trying to picture the scenario with going from an HDR enabled game back to the PS4 OS and then back to the HDR enabled game.

Gonna be pain if it wants to confirm the switch every single time.

When you switch over to a game in HDR, the PS4 OS is also in HDR mode up until you close the app.

Just ordered the 55". I read some TVs require you to use the first HDMI port for HDR, is that the case here?

Nope, you just have to enable UHD Color for that HDMI port.

Elios83

Something is wrong with your settings elsewhere or your device's settings... Or you are used to crushed blacks now.

I have a dream... One day, someone will make a tv that is locked to calibrated settings, and detects black levels correctly, and displays non HDR vs HDR content correctly without changing settings, and will only allow people to adjust for brightness. One day.

All the other settings are basically equivalent to what most people are using with this TV, I simply think that with dynamic contrast the colors look much more vibrant and the image has a much better contrast. Without it, even with contrast at 100 I don't like it, it's muted.
It has nothing to do with crashed blacks which I immediatly recognize and hate. I don't have crushed blacks on my TV, I can get them if I use the wrong input settings and I know how they bad look.
Btw I guess that everyone has its own prefereces, after all if all these options are available there must be a reason, just like there is a reason why Samsung uses dynamic contrast turned on by default to impress people with their demos. I guess that I personally like the effect while others not.

Are you talking ps4 or xbs?

Bc I read xbox is lacking a feature that helps with color I Think? I forget what it was.

Edit: found it

Albert penello: Not currently. We are not supporting WCG for games in Xbox One S. We are supporting the wider Bt.2020 color gamut in Xbox One S for media, however.

PS4 here, thank you btw ;)

maximrace

Skimming through the thread I'm noticing a lot of differing opinions on dynamic contrast settings.
It's that way because a) people are watching hdr in the wrong room ( it needs to be dark) or b) people think brighter = better.

If you calibrate your tv correctly dynamic contrast should only make the image brighter resulting in a loss of the higher range.

A game where you can really notice this is gears 4. With dc off the lights in the dark are really bright and they shine like they would in real life. With dc on the surroundings are brighter too resulting in a less noticable effect. Dynamic contrast should really be off.

DonShula

TV talk should be left to forums more suited to handle it. It's not going to age off the page if people keep posting opinions as facts. People are better off googling and getting informed answers.

Haines

Banned
It's that way because a) people are watching hdr in the wrong room ( it needs to be dark) or b) people think brighter = better.

If you calibrate your tv correctly dynamic contrast should only make the image brighter resulting in a loss of the higher range.

A game where you can really notice this is gears 4. With dc off the lights in the dark are really bright and they shine like they would in real life. With dc on the surroundings are brighter too resulting in a less noticable effect. Dynamic contrast should really be off.

I actually didn't know hdr was meant to be used in a dark room. Good to know.

You say you've played gears in HDR.
Now that I have this TV is it worth trading OG to an S for HDR on xbox and the 4k player?

Haines

Banned
TV talk should be left to forums more suited to handle it. It's not going to age off the page if people keep posting opinions as facts. People are better off googling and getting informed answers.

You must miss the fact that this the TV this forum has highly touted as being the one to go into next week's console launch for and just a glimpse at this thread shows you people are thankful for it and help clear up some confusion on HDR settings.

But whatever. Keep on keeping on.

Pachinko

All it really tells you is a good portion of NeoGAF hasn't been interested in their TV enough to try and calibrate it before. It's a new world.

Fair enough point , I know I was in the boat of just using a THX optimizer on a dvd for many years , then they added on on blurays eventually so I used that too.

Once I got my current tv (panasonic st5055) , I simply used David Katzermeyers settings from cnet (they look fantastic for everything but I pop into game mode when I play street fighter).

So really , I guess I wasn't a hardcore settings adjuster myself. I agree with whoever in this thread said they wish TVs just came pre-calibrated with no adjustments outside of brightness (and even then they could have settings rather then an adjustable bar - daylight, basement, etc) - just SHOWROOM, HDRMOVIE, HDRGAME, SDRMOVIE, SDRGAME, SPORTS, STANDARD presets that take best advantage of whatevers in there with no need to fine tune later.

Geneijin

Where did you hear that?

That just stifles discussion.

maximrace

I actually didn't know hdr was meant to be used in a dark room. Good to know.

You say you've played gears in HDR.
Now that I have this TV is it worth trading OG to an S for HDR on xbox and the 4k player?
There aren't that many games right now on the s that support hdr so it would depend a bit on if you want to spend the extra cash. Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 were worth it for me because it's a big upgrade in hdr imo.

Bloodsent

Can I get around some of the HDR/Game Mode issues people are mentioning if I have my sources connected to a receiver with dual HDMI outs, and just configure the different inputs on the TV, one for Movie mode, other for Game Mode?

The OP has links to Rtings, AVForums, and CNet. It's a pretty simple and informative post that has links with further details.

People can discuss whatever opinions they have, that's kind of the point of a message board. PM a mod and ask them to close the thread if you don't think it should be here, see what it accomplishes (Spoiler:
it'll be nothing
). Or keep posting and giving the thread you don't like more bumps so it stays on the front page and attracts more eyes. The worst thing you could do to a thread you don't like is post in it, for a variety of reasons.

Simbo

Neo Member
If I'm honest I dont really know what HDR is supposed to look like.

Some people have said it makes the colours more saturated and the picture a lot more 'contrasty' in general where others have said the picture looks a lot more natural looking and mellow.

Ive only recently got a 4K TV myself and I was watching The Revenant waiting to be wowed and I found it a little underwhelming. Mine was definitely a lot more on the natural / mellow side of things.

Ive copied settings from expert websites and I find the whole HDR thing a little 'meh'.

Am I doing something wrong?

D23

To my eyes,

having dynamic contrast ON while on HDR mode greatly improves the picture quality. I've read some of your post, and having it off just looks dull and dark.

anyway, i keep dynamic contrast on the medium setting, and i turn it off to watch sdr content.

Palocca

If I'm honest I dont really know what HDR is supposed to look like.

Some people have said it makes the colours more saturated and the picture a lot more 'contrasty' in general where others have said the picture looks a lot more natural looking and mellow.

Ive only recently got a 4K TV myself and I was watching The Revenant waiting to be wowed and I found it a little underwhelming. Mine was definitely a lot more on the natural / mellow side of things.

Ive copied settings from expert websites and I find the whole HDR thing a little 'meh'.

Am I doing something wrong?

You should be able to notice the difference if you switch HDR on and off. Particularly take note of areas on screen where a light source is present. On HDR, the light generally becomes more natural and less oversaturdated, allowing you to see finer details in the areas around it.

If you have Ratchet and Clank on the PS4, you'll be able to notice a difference from the first sign of gameplay.

Palocca

To my eyes,

having dynamic contrast ON while on HDR mode greatly improves the picture quality. I've read some of your post, and having it off just looks dull and dark.

anyway, i keep dynamic contrast on the medium setting, and i turn it off to watch sdr content.

And that's what it comes down to. If you're satisfied with the picture quality with it on, then by all means do so. That's why these options are there.

Elios83

Dynamic contrast clips whites and crushes blacks

If it was as easy as that (only negatives) there would be no reason to implement the feature is all the TVs including high end models that should already have high contrast.
With dynamic contrast you get image contrast and vibrant colors that are not possible without it.
The range is dynamic and adapted continously over what is displayed so that the negatives you're talking about are absolutely minimized.
As I said IMHO HDR benefits a lot on this TV from activating dynamic contrast because HDR tends by itself to make colors less saturated.
Yesterday I tried Ratchet&Clank in HDR for example and without dynamic contrast colors were so desaturated that it lost the cartoony look.
But of course everyone has its own preferences, these things are very subjective, afterall color is perception and everyone should make a lot of trials by themselves to see with open mind what it looks best to them.

DonShula

The OP has links to Rtings, AVForums, and CNet. It's a pretty simple and informative post that has links with further details.

People can discuss whatever opinions they have, that's kind of the point of a message board. PM a mod and ask them to close the thread if you don't think it should be here, see what it accomplishes (Spoiler:
it'll be nothing
). Or keep posting and giving the thread you don't like more bumps so it stays on the front page and attracts more eyes. The worst thing you could do to a thread you don't like is post in it, for a variety of reasons.

Wow, this has nothing to do with what I "like." Just want people to get good information. Do what you like and hopefully you have fun reinventing a wheel that you can find elsewhere already.

As if I care even remotely about this thread getting bumped. Is that a thing? People are that shallow?

Haines

Banned
Wow, this has nothing to do with what I "like." Just want people to get good information. Do what you like and hopefully you have fun reinventing a wheel that you can find elsewhere already.

As if I care even remotely about this thread getting bumped. Is that a thing? People are that shallow?

This thread is literally a vessel for information, of which you have added none. Just clogged it up for anybody else trying to get information.

D23

If it was as easy as that (only negatives) there would be no reason to implement the feature is all the TVs including high end models that should already have high contrast.
With dynamic contrast you get image contrast and vibrant colors that are not possible without it.
The range is dynamic and adapted continously over what is displayed so that the negatives you're talking about are absolutely minimized.
As I said IMHO HDR benefits a lot on this TV from activating dynamic contrast because HDR tends by itself to make colors less saturated.
Yesterday I tried Ratchet&Clank in HDR for example and without dynamic contrast colors were so desaturated that it lost the cartoony look.
But of course everyone has its own preferences, these things are very subjective, afterall color is perception and everyone should make a lot of trials by themselves to see with open mind what it looks best to them.

You could't have said it better on this whole dynamic contrast on or not..

it reminds me of the whole Warm 2 vs Standard temperature.. where warm 2 is the most accurate but a lot of people wouldn't like their tv looking yellow..

Geneijin

I might renege my OLED55C6P and get the ZD9 instead if that's the case. I think the problem will solve itself as the technology develops and becomes more capable of hitting the UHD Premium standard, but that's a mystery until those TVs arrive.

it reminds me of the whole Warm 2 vs Standard temperature.. where warm 2 is the most accurate but a lot of people wouldn't like their tv looking yellow..
Accuracy, not preference. Just realize it's not same image at that point, and when we talk about how HDR looks, this is what happens because we don't.

Elios83

Precisely.
Warm 2 to me is yellow as well, I don't use it.
In standard the illuminant looks white.
But hey since Warm 2 is closer to D65 I guess I should use a light that looks yellow to me as the illuminant ;)

Palocca

Precisely.
Warm 2 to me is yellow as well, I don't use it.
In standard the illuminant looks white.
But hey since Warm 2 is closer to D65 I guess I should use a light that looks yellow to me as the illuminant ;)

It's just a matter of industry standard vs. personal preference.

You should give Warm 2 a chance haha. I hated it at first, but you adjust and the image is so much easier on the eyes. I can't go back to cooler temperatures because they remind me of office lights.

Top Bottom