• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early designs for video game protagonists

Dice//

Banned
Also, look at all these initial Bayonetta designs.

bayo3.jpg
bayo4.jpg
bayo6.jpg
bayo20.jpg
bayo21.jpg
bayo25.jpg
bayo30psd.jpg
bayo31.jpg

And that's not even really scratching the surface.

Maaan, I know I just complained about the "fashion element" with Aloy, but these totally work for me and a character like Bayonetta.

Koozek

Jecht looks like John Lydon, assuming that's who the guy ion the right is
I think that was supposed to be Auron.
Wow, Tidus looks so much better there it's quite shocking. If they'd kept that relatively toned down design (and more masculine / realistic body proportions for a top line athlete) I think he would be remembered far more fondly.
The early concept was like this apparently:
Final Fantasy X originally wasn't going to be a Final Fantasy game at all, but a series called 'Seventeen.' The story revolved around a recent unknown disease that killed people on their seventeenth birthday. Yuna would have had the role of a doctor/nurse that went around giving the disease's cure to its inspected victims. It is eventually revealed that the 'cure' was in fact the source of the disease, and that it was established by the company that Yuna was working for to rule the world, by claiming that they were the only ones that could provide the cure in the first place. It is unknown what role Tidus and Auron would have had, if they were even thought out as characters in the first place. That being said, some of these concepts could have been made for Seventeen and not FFX.​

More of the early concept art:
The reason FFX is so grim compared to previous FFs is because the project started out as an original concept, titled "Seventeen: Angelic Impact X Devil's Shock" and unrelated to the FF series. It was conceived by Yusuke Naora, the art director.

ihpxn5B.jpg

GTJhs6K.jpg

34gJTeN.jpg

When the project became FFX they toned down the heavy Moebius influence and integrated Sakaguchi's Gaia philosophy in the world setting, but the story is still very different than anything they did before in the series.

Yusuke Naora's early concept art for Final Fantasy X was very Moebius-like:

ieWbHN3m.jpg

SmhYPQRm.jpg

4v2YDz5m.jpg

6YcxwDzm.jpg

ERyEXrkm.jpg

tNXsstwm.jpg

qwjISRdm.jpg

WmdcHpkm.jpg

vrhJS6Jm.jpg

Cepheus

Street Fighter 3's Elena was originally going to have a staff to attack with, introduced in Third Strike, and there exists concept art of her using it as such. This is why she's holding a staff in her character select screen portrait but we never see her use one in-game because the concept was scrapped. Maybe it would have been too much work to go back and hand-draw a staff over every single sprite as well as make new attacks for it to be used with.

Gill's default two-tone colour scheme was originally black and white, but it was changed to red and blue to show off what the CPS3 hardware could do. Black and white became the player 2 colour scheme.

Also, early Twelve designs had him pretty much just look like Necro but with less clothing, and Remy was almost a priest instead of an emo.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How is this "chubbier"?
People forget about how different face types exist when it comes to women.

Douchebag cole from Infamous 2.
The outrage sparked by this is something I will never understand. Cole by default looks like a generic white male game character. So people were asking for them to choose between two of those.
1800904-screen_shot_2011_06_03_at_12.24.09_pm.png

These would have totally worked for me:

I love the games, but usually play with alternative costumes (also not a fan of her glasses, glasses should have a different design and her beauty spot adds the wrong kind of personality imo)

This could have been a good boss character. Looks evil in a cool way:

Misha

Banned
Was she originally intended to be younger? Could just be the style used in these illustrations, but her final design looks more mature.

its probably Loish's style. she tends to draw younger looking characters (though I'm not sure about that last image)

Duxxy3

People forget about how different face types exist when it comes to women.

The outrage sparked by this is something I will never understand. Cole by default looks like a generic white male game character. So people were asking for them to choose between two of those.
[/IMG]

It was more about continuity. The early art didn't even look like the Cole that we saw in Infamous 1.

Javier23

Banned
I'd post the first version from the first game (when he was simply a witcher, not Geralt), but it's a bit harder to find.
Was there gonna be a version of the game where you played as a random witcher and not Geralt? Interesting! Is there someplace I could read more about this?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It was more about continuity. The early art didn't even look like the Cole that we saw in Infamous 1.
I mean he really didn't look very similar to how he looked in the first game besides looking like an angry white male video game character. Somehow he looks younger, has a different facial structure, less wrinkles, and for some reason no dimples. I remember the reason being that they changed it so that he'd more resemble his actor. And he wasn't that far off the mark in terms of similarities in facial structure when it came to the in-game model.
cole-mcgrath.jpg

infamous-2-cole.jpg

^
Put that Infamous 2 shirt from the final game on the above and yea I'd believe it.

Kyne

Originally FF9 wasn't going to be part of the mainline series as it seemed too 'different' from the previous 7 and 8 iteration. I believe that the original concept for the characters of the game is that they were going to be very class based (viking/samurai/knight/dragoon/white-black mage/etc.) and some of that still made it into the final game.

I think this was Zidane's early concept:
ffix.h7.jpg

Bonus Freya:
ffix.h9.jpg

Unseen64 did a really nice article on it.

Jazzem

Bonus Freya:

Wow, I still like their final designs a lot but those are great in their own right. Though I suppose that early Zidane perhaps doesn't fit his personality as much.

kromeo

Originally FF9 wasn't going to be part of the mainline series as it seemed too 'different' from the previous 7 and 8 iteration. I believe that the original concept for the characters of the game is that they were going to be very class based (viking/samurai/knight/dragoon/white-black mage/etc.) and some of that still made it into the final game.

ffix.h7.jpg

Bonus Freya:
ffix.h9.jpg

Unseen64 did a really nice article on it.

I like that Freya design, Zidane not so much but better than what we actually got in the game

Kyne

Piggybacking off my own post, for a while I thought this was Lani, but I think it actually may have been a dark-skinned Garnet/Dagger.

ffix.h8.jpg

Concept art with Zidane and a bunch of black mages.

ffix.h19.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
FFX

1452693172053.jpg

i think there was a dark haired tidus at some point too

If I remember correctly wasn't Tidus in this rendition like some sort of thug-type character who was also a plumber? That sounded kind of funky but cool.

Yoshi-concept.png

(Very) early Yoshi. I love this thread, so many things I didn't know. I actually like Rabbit Sonic more (he seems straight out of a 20's cartoon or Cuphead) !

Edit: Oh shit, I forgot this was about protagonists. Ah well.

Saren from Mass Effect.
Code:
[img]http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lefo224ngn1qg03leo1_540.jpg[/img]
[img]http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lea9aaMvWF1qg03leo1_1280.png[/img]
[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/3b/b1/45/3bb1451332b3f3c6d1c68cf3d454eac4.png[/img]

Top Bottom