• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: DirectX 12 Not a “Massive Change” For Xbox One

The introduction of Direct X 12 has caused quite a stir in the community, especially due to how little we know on how much the new API will actually help the Xbox One. Many developers expressed their opinion, with some going as far as making unrealistic statements about doubling the efficiency of the console’s GPU, and others holding on more conservative and realistic stances.
Microsoft’s Xbox division head honcho Phil Spencer gave a quite realistic assessment of what we can expect today on Twitter, explaining that the new API won’t bring a “massive change,” but will help:
It will help developers on XBOX One. It’s not going to be a massive change but will unlock more capability for devs.

Interestingly, Spencer also explained what he expects from his first party studios as opposed to third party ones:
I don’t think it’s about a specific genre, more about creating exclusive franchises, taking some risks 3rd parties might not take.

Thing I ask 1st party studios is why is this a 1st party game, what tech, design or creative difference are we trying to land.
Talking about third party studios, Spencer also mentioned that he “really likes” Scaleborn, the Xbox One exclusive Hideki Kamiya and Platinum Games are developing in collaboration with Microsoft.
Personally, I find quite refreshing that Spencer isn’t overpromising on what DirectX 12 will deliver, especially considering that some really went overboard with their predictions, presenting scenarios that are simply unrealistic under every point of view.
It’s also interesting to see him talk about taking risks with first party studios, even more so if we look at the fact that nowadays the industry tends to shy more and more away from making risky design decisions, that are often left to indies

Source: Dualshocker (Though their source is easily verified). Lock if old.

ethomaz

Banned
Any reasonable guy knows that already... the improvements that will come with DX12 on PC already exists since launch on Xbone... the console already have a low level API that splits better the CPU workload.

Any reasonable guy knows that already... the improvements that will come with DX12 on PC already exists since launch on Xbone... the console already have a low level API that splits better the CPU workload.

Most of us knew it, but it's nice to hear it from Microsoft.

DieH@rd

Banned
That's the only reasonable conclusion anyone with a half a brain can have. Xbone already has streamlined low-level API. DX12 will bring slight optimizations and streamlined way of sharing PC and Xbone game code.

Proelite

Any reasonable guy knows that already... the improvements that will come with DX12 on PC already exists since launch on Xbone... the console already have a low level API.

Yes, but devs who doesn't have the time, budget or know how for writing low level API code, aka third parties, Indies, etc, can substantially improve their game's performance by switching to DX 12.

Well duh.

Only people that thought DX12 would make the xbox one have better looking games than the ps4 are the same people that still think microsoft are hiding a second gpu and shit. basically misterxmedia cultists.

maneil99

Don't worry they have a second GPU :p

DX12 is meant to bring PCs low level API, it won't help the X1 that much since it already have a low level API to work with.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Good, I am glad he is saying this as opposed to using it as a form of PR equivalent to the cloud.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like this Phil Spencer guy. He doesn't try to bullshit everyone about everything.

You mean it won't unlock the fourth core?

God dammit. You had one job, DX12.

Nah man it was supposed to unlock the stacked GPU. Haha that one job line got me real good though.

In all seriousness anyone who knows how graphics programming works on PC and consoles knew this already. PC is where we will see some palpable gains.

What will he/she use as a scapegoat, I wonder. Ready for all the excuses!

NDA

insider said wait for tgs

no wait for gamescon

no wait for pennyarcade

no wait for gdc 2015

no wait for e3 2015

no wait for gamescon 2015

etc etc etc

then random guy posts in comment section and says i have insider and they follow him.

damn sony ponies brainwashed by sony with fake cgi trailers making people believe lies

he said wouldn't be massive but will still be more than ps4 is capable!

etc etc.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
What will he/she use as a scapegoat, I wonder. Ready for all the excuses!

Edit: I agree that it is nice that Phil Spencer is not over-selling DX12.
Clearly Phil is a Sony plant trying to take the xbox brand down from the inside.

I do not believe this but nothing from MisterXMedia would surprise me

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think that's a pretty appropriate view toward first party games.

The financial scale that third parties run at the top end doesn't work for single platform games. It makes more sense to focus on lower-to-mid-sized hits that obtain a specific audience.

Now, if you can still find big hits that don't break the bank even when selling 5+ million copies, that's great, but I can understand why you would be cautious about greenlighting a new $80-$100 million development + $80-$100 million marketing project if it's just going to be on Xbox One.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Refreshingly honest.

I think that's a pretty appropriate view toward first party games.

The financial scale that third parties run at the top end doesn't work for single platform games. It makes more sense to focus on lower-to-mid-sized hits that obtain a specific audience.

Now, if you can still find big hits that don't break the bank even when selling 5+ million copies, that's great, but I can understand why you would be cautious about greenlighting a new $80-$100 million development + $80-$100 million marketing project if it's just going to be on Xbox One.

Yeah, interesting to see him basically say that MS's first party efforts aren't going to aim for AAA production values.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
MisterXMedia on suicide watch. Mad props for Spencer being up front about it.

I find it very relaxing to read that blog. The mad promises from the insider that Microsoft is under NDA and can't reveal how much more powerful XBO is than PS4. This doesn't hurt his narrative. Microsoft under-promises and over-delivers.

But who in their right mind actually thought this would change things apart from make things easier for developers? I'm glad we're out of the dark ages of Cell and Emotion Engine where we'd hear about FLOPS and chips powerful to fire rockets. Now we're in the age of GDDR5!

Yes, but devs who doesn't have the time, budget or know how for writing low level API code, aka third parties, Indies, etc, can substantially improve their game's performance by switching to DX 12.

Bingo.

It's not going to be a massive change, but a change nonetheless and for the better.

It will help developers on XBOX One. It’s not going to be a massive change but will unlock more capability for devs.

curb

Banned
I find it very relaxing to read that blog. The mad promises from the insider that Microsoft is under NDA and can't reveal how much more powerful XBO is than PS4. This doesn't hurt his narrative. Microsoft under-promises and over-delivers.

It's funny, I find it to be almost the opposite. Not the posts themselves - those are fun - it's the rabid devotion in the comments. He spouts this crazy utter nonsense backed up with out-of-context powerpoint slides with MS paint scribbled all over it and his followers eat it up like he's this spellbinding prophet. I know I should just laugh it off but these people are brainwashed - that dude is running a cult.

I like how Spencer doesn't need to lie to my face and act like I'm retarded.

Kinda sad I had to say that.
Yeah. Nice to not be hearing about how they INVENTED DirectX.

This approach is much better than insulting my intelligence. Pretty sad it's taken them this long to figure that out.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It's funny, I find it to be almost the opposite. Not the posts themselves - those are fun - it's the rabid devotion in the comments. He spouts this crazy utter nonsense backed up with out-of-context powerpoint slides with MS paint scribbled all over it and his followers eat it up like he's this spellbinding prophet. I know I should just laugh it off but these people are brainwashed - that dude is running a cult.

Don't forget the CNN illuminati Sony conspiracy to brainwash people and good guy Microsoft who wants to set us free. Madness like that is liberating because it makes me feel sane. It's a calibration for sanity.

Regardless, no one except the devotes was expecting this to be the second coming. It's refreshing to see something understated for once.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Or at least what "AAA" has become in 2014. Like I still expect a lot of $20-$30 million type projects.

Well I guess that could be inferred from the fact that their 'big' exclusive announcements at E3 this year for 2015 and beyond were a remake of a niche Xbox title, a title from noted sales kyptonite Platinum Games, and a sequel to a fan-favourite but still not top-tier Xbox 360 game.

Does seem like quite a departure from their attitude last generation, where they seemed to settle only on producing high-sellers.

Kayant

Good to see the air cleared up on this some people had too much exception from this mainly coming from their talk on PC DX12.

For people that want to know about the current feature set of XB1's DX11.X API -

FTyMN1I.png

2TCRXbX.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSzpuRR2FI
http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/inside-x-box-one-by-martin-fuller

Oh I can't wait to see the next entry of Mr.x's blog the meltdowns will be fun to see.

Ploid 3.0

I have felt the effects of our new DX12 overlords on pc already as Nvidia prep for it by optimizing their drivers on the road to it's release. By the time DX12 is out I should have a great cpu. I couldn't see any big use for DX12 or a Mantle like api for consoles.

Mask

Now, this is what we should have got in the beginning, not that "CLOUD POWAHS!" bullshit, just proper explanations with no
PR sugarcoating, because that shit doesn't work when the people you're talking to, know what the console is capable of.

Nintendo didn't spend any time pretending they had some magical mario powers built into the Wii-U, they just made the damn games, and
the games are good. I know what I'm getting with the Wii-U, and that's okay. I know what I'm getting with the PS4, and that's okay too.

And, since E3, MS know to keep that Cloud shit to a minimum, and focus on games. And that's good, because even though I was going
to eventually end up buying an Xbone, the stuff they've shown, and the new attitude, means I'll be picking one up next week instead.

Top Bottom