• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENSHIN!! Official Tokusatsu Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin

I started watching Rescue Fire and I gotta say that theme song is probably the most hot-blooded theme I've heard in a long time. I can almost feel my soul burning with justice.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hai guys!

Gatchaman started the Super Sentai series actually - Goranger was based from it.

About the Shinkenger being "unable to adapt", may I remind you of Ninja Storm.

Also, you should NOT equate Henshin heroes as sole Tokusatsu shows. Don't forget the father/mother of all Tokusatsu.

godzilla.jpg

Slayven

Ookami-kun said:
Hai guys!

Gatchaman started the Super Sentai series actually - Goranger was based from it.

About the Shinkenger being "unable to adapt", may I remind you of Ninja Storm.

Also, you should NOT equate Henshin heroes as sole Tokusatsu shows. Don't forget the father/mother of all Tokusatsu.
It is mute because it is all but confirmed there won't be a next season of power rangers, at least not live action

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Slayven said:
It is mute because it is all but confirmed there won't be a next season of power rangers, at least not live action

all but confirmed? by who? i keep hearing this rumor with no fact behind it. if you do have a source though, please share

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
After 555 and Blade, I didn't like Agito a whole lot.

I've seen Kabuto and Hibiki as well. I'm wondering if I should try to find some of the older series, or if I should watch Den-O or Kiva.

I haven't seen any Sentai in a while.

vareon

SS4Gogita said:
After 555 and Blade, I didn't like Agito a whole lot.

I've seen Kabuto and Hibiki as well. I'm wondering if I should try to find some of the older series, or if I should watch Den-O or Kiva.

I haven't seen any Sentai in a while.

Agito was the darkest and most serious Heisei Kamen Rider ever, though. I can understand people won't like it if they entered the franchise from the newer series. I started from Kuuga, so to me Agito was awesome. Still prefer Kuuga though :D

Also is next week going to be, like, the first Kamen Rider x Super Sentai crossover ever?

Boss Doggie

If you consider the Power Rangers x Masked Rider crossover...

Funny though, because while Masked Rider was very, VERY crappy, that crossover was considered to be actually good.

Apharmd

vareon said:
Agito was the darkest and most serious Heisei Kamen Rider ever, though. I can understand people won't like it if they entered the franchise from the newer series. I started from Kuuga, so to me Agito was awesome. Still prefer Kuuga though :D

Also is next week going to be, like, the first Kamen Rider x Super Sentai crossover ever?

afaik there has been other crossovers, but they're very old.

Boss Doggie

Again, it depends if you consider the Power Rangers x Masked Rider one.

Also, Masked Riders have been mentioned during the first Super Sentai crossover (Goranger x JAQK Dengeki Tai).

Apharmd

So hey, if we get to talk about the toy commercials why not talk about the toys themselves? Here's the S.I.C. Kamen Rider Kiva, a redesign of the original suit used for television. Seems a bit pricey for a single figure, but you do get quite a bit of accessories, from his "fuestles" to the violin! I don't think beautiful rose petals are included though. Release date is sometime in August.

20uwprb.jpg

azdy7d.jpg

For something less expensive and a bit more utilitarian, S.H. Figuarts Kamen Rider Agito just came out. This is one hell of an ace toy for fans, with pretty great detail that matches the TV series, though proportions are a bit skinnier. That's a good thing for this toy though! Just came out, end of June.

24m9e1u.jpg

1q6gpt.jpg

vareon

SIC Kiva is badass. I don't generally liked SIC series but that one looked good.

As for SHF, I'm thinking of getting this baby soon:

34evwvo.jpg

35bbdbl.jpg

vareon

Ookami-kun said:
The more I see Kiva the more I hate the series.

Kiva has a great potential and basic premise, too bad it was hampered by weak execution and writing. The basic premise looked awesome in paper:
- In 2008, A secluded violin maker inherited the power of Kiva with Castle Dran and its three caretakers.
- Parallel to 2008, in 1986, a violinist met a female warrior and thus begins the origin of Kiva.

The 2008-1986 switching was great and definitely something different since I never watched any show that tells the origins of the main hero in a parallel setting like this. Unfortunately it was filled with sloppy writing, one-time toy fodder, poorly placed humor, and, worst of all, bad fighting coreography. So many unfulfilled potential.

Apharmd

vareon said:
Kiva has a great potential and basic premise, too bad it was hampered by weak execution and writing. The basic premise looked awesome in paper:
- In 2008, A secluded violin maker inherited the power of Kiva with Castle Dran and its three caretakers.
- Parallel to 2008, in 1986, a violinist met a female warrior and thus begins the origin of Kiva.

The 2008-1986 switching was great and definitely something different since I never watched any show that tells the origins of the main hero in a parallel setting like this. Unfortunately it was filled with sloppy writing, one-time toy fodder, poorly placed humor, and, worst of all, bad fighting coreography. So many unfulfilled potential.

I agree. Kiva's writer has nearly lost everything that made him good when writing Agito. Heck, even his Decade episodes were pretty bad (Nega World/Diend World).

By the way, SHF Kabuto is really freakin' nice. I have it, and the red gloss on the armor looks very ace. The only problem I have with the toy is that the hips get loose after a little bit. Too bad, but it's really durable and looks really good. SHFiguarts line hasn't really had any real losers.

Boss Doggie

Man, RPM is awesome.

They actually made the generic characters in Go-onger into something fresh - sociopathic heroes!

Slayven said:
Seriously that movie could be 90 minutes of double rider kicks and i would die happy. I am shocked they found a universe big enough to hold Stronger's and Kabuto's egos together.
this part interests me as while a lot of people might have dislike Kabuto because of his arrogance i personally loved him for it. So what i want to know is which kamen rider series is Stronger from? i remember at the end of some of Kabuto's ep in the 20s Kabuto said something like if he's Stronger then i am Strongest which i find more funny that it should have been.

Ookami-kun said:
Uh, Kamen Rider Stronger. It's a Showa series.
all the more awesome i have seen ep one of Kamen Rider black and the shear level of awesomeness makes think it may even be better than Kabuto.

Snaku

Banned
I've seen most of the Rider shows (Showa and Heisei), but I can't think of anyone in any of the shows I've seen that could be stronger than Kabuto. He's essentially the Lord of Time, and even if Stronger is stronger, Kabuto is far too fast with Hyper Clock Up for it to make a difference. The only one who has outright defeated him is dream Decade, and since I haven't caught up on Decade yet I don't know if that even counts. Is the AU Kabuto Tendou Souji, or a new character like other riders in Decade? Because a lot of what makes Kabuto..well Kabuto is Tendou.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Snaku said:
I've seen most of the Rider shows (Showa and Heisei), but I can't think of anyone in any of the shows I've seen that could be stronger than Kabuto. He's essentially the Lord of Time, and even if Stronger is stronger, Kabuto is far too fast with Hyper Clock Up for it to make a difference. The only one who has outright defeated him is dream Decade, and since I haven't caught up on Decade yet I don't know if that even counts. Is the AU Kabuto Tendou Souji, or a new character like other riders in Decade? Because a lot of what makes Kabuto..well Kabuto is Tendou.

Anybody have any thoughts?
I actually just got done watching Decade ep 17 and i must say i am dissapointed with that actor they made play Kabuto in this series, he doesn't seem cocky enough to be Tendou but yeah i got to agree that with hyper cast off Kabuto may very well be the most powerful rider. I realized this when i saw the other riders from other worlds fight, and it was made even clearer when neither Decade nor Diiend could lay a finger on him in his arc.

ReiGun

Ookami-kun said:
Man, RPM is awesome.

They actually made the generic characters in Go-onger into something fresh - sociopathic heroes!
"It's BOOM time!" :lol

I love Gem and Gemma so much. They're like kids who revel in causing destruction. All I hear from people is how they want they to be cocky and arrogant like Go-on Gold and Silver and I dont get it. Haven't we had enough sixth rangers like that?

So Kabuto is good shit huh? Guess I'll check it out. Also, would anyone mind telling this Kamen Rider newbie why people hate Den-O so much. I watched the first few episodes and it didn't seem that bad. Silly? Yeah, but not out right stupid like Go-Onger.

ReiGun said:
"It's BOOM time!" :lol

I love Gem and Gemma so much. They're like kids who revel in causing destruction. All I hear from people is how they want they to be cocky and arrogant like Go-on Gold and Silver and I dont get it. Haven't we had enough sixth rangers like that?

So Kabuto is good shit huh? Guess I'll check it out. Also, would anyone mind telling this Kamen Rider newbie why people hate Den-O so much. I watched the first few episodes and it didn't seem that bad. Silly? Yeah, but not out right stupid like Go-Onger.
Yeah Kabuto is damn good, highly recommended.

Also i believe i asked the same question regarding Den-O a while back and this was the reply i got.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16558520&postcount=157

Snaku

Banned
All the talk about Kabuto made me upload a clip of my favorite scene in the whole show. If you haven't seen passed Episode 9, beware spoilers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDrn52DbuhI

That gave me chills when I first saw it back in '06.
Kagami had so desperately wanted to protect his comrades up till that point, but never had the power to do so. Kabuto Zecter rejected him for Tendou, and Tendou pretty much lorded it over him the entire time. Then when TheBee Zecter rejected Yagaruma and chose Kagami to be its master, I was grinning from ear to ear. And the music just made it even more epic! Oh yeah, and it's the first Cast Off for Kabuto's bike too. :D

flintstryker said:
I actually just got done watching Decade ep 17 and i must say i am dissapointed with that actor they made play Kabuto in this series, he doesn't seem cocky enough to be Tendou but yeah i got to agree that with hyper cast off Kabuto may very well be the most powerful rider. I realized this when i saw the other riders from other worlds fight, and it was made even clearer when neither Decade nor Diiend could lay a finger on him in his arc.

Yeah, I was afraid the AU Kabuto wouldn't be able to hold Tendou's jockstrap, and it sounds like he can't. :lol

ReiGun said:
So Kabuto is good shit huh? Guess I'll check it out.

It's really cool. Perfect mix of interesting characters, bad ass riders, innovative action sequences, and cooking. Can't stress that last bit enough, if you're a fan of cooking or cooking shows, then you'll love Kabuto. My one complaint is that the story sorta falls apart in the last 1/4 of the show. Some really interesting plot threads are left completely unresolved, and it sort of rushes to the conclusion. But aside from Kamen Rider Blade, just about every other Kamen Rider show is like that.

ReiGun said:
Also, would anyone mind telling this Kamen Rider newbie why people hate Den-O so much. I watched the first few episodes and it didn't seem that bad. Silly? Yeah, but not out right stupid like Go-Onger.

Den-O is all about the Imagin, and their craaaaazy antics. It's the one Kamen Rider show that's expressly made for small children, and if you find that you can enjoy the show based purely on their humor, you'll probably like the show. Personally, I couldn't make myself watch it after the first dozen episodes.

Snaku said:
All the talk about Kabuto made me upload a clip of my favorite scene in the whole show. If you haven't seen passed Episode 9, beware spoilers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDrn52DbuhI

not exactly my faorite scene but i really love this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54us_3w0N7c&feature=related

mostly because Yaguruma's new outfit looks so badass and he almost seemed bored when he henshin, hell Kickhopper is one of my favorite due to his fighting style

Also my favorite character in the series is definitely Tsurugi i can still hear Kagaaamii so damn awesome.

Snaku

Banned
flintstryker said:
not exactly my faorite scene but i really love this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54us_3w0N7c&feature=related

mostly because Yaguruma's new outfit looks so badass and he almost seemed bored when he henshin, hell Kickhopper is one of my favorite due to his fighting style

Agreed, that's one of my favorite moments in Kabuto too. I loved how Kick & Punch Hopper were tributes to Ichigo & Nigo from the original Kamen Rider. Just another reason why Kabuto kicked ass.

Apharmd

Ookami-kun said:
The hate from Den-O comes from the fact that it's being milked a lot.

Yeah. I'm glad it actually came from a series that deserves it though, Den-O has one of the strongest casts of characters in the franchise and it's always good to see them get attention.

And Kabuto has excellent everything except plot. It's a shame, because the characters and actors in Kabuto are top notch, it's just that the writers try their hardest to shit on them; It's when I began to start disliking Inoue and Yonemura.

Killing Tsurugi? Really? It's like, come on, man. I didn't even see the point of this except to repeat what happened in Agito and Faiz. It was dumb, dumb, dumb. ;_;

Boss Doggie

Eh, well I'm more of a Showa rider/sentai/metal hero fan. Never got into the newer shows save a few KRs, and stopped becoming interested in Sentai after Timeranger (Dekaranger was an exception though).

Hahaha, poor Scissors!

vareon

Decade's Kabuto was not arrogant at all, but still counts as the strongest rider. Hell Diend, Ixa & Psyga can't defeat him, and the worms need to build a Clock Down system thingamajig just to stop the guy :lol

Decade 24: Glad to see them not reusing Shinkenger's usual transforming sequence. And Scissors died again like, two minutes after his summoning? :lol

Boss Doggie

I also find it smart that the monster Diend will use the "frills" (or DVD holders, as I would call them) of Diend's helmet design as a way to summon mooks.

Snaku

Banned
Kamen Rider to be at Comic Con?

According to the Comic Con's website, Shinya Tsukamoto, director of TESTUO: THE IRON MAN will be making an appearance Thursday the 23rd. The creators and cast of KAMEN RIDER: DRAGON KNIGHT are also set for a panel on Sunday, the 26th.

Haven't really seen any of Dragon Knight, but it's cool that it'll be getting some exposure.

ReiGun

Dragon Knight at Comic-Con? That should be pretty cool. Hope the panel is interesting.

The Shinkengers got a better transformation sequence in Decade than they get in their own show. The retainers even got to say they full titles instead of just "The same, [color]."

And Liner+DCD Complete combo greatly under performed.

Snaku

Banned
Caught up to Episode 23 of Decade. Love this show so much. DiEnd's slowly becoming my favorite character in the show, despite my distaste for his Rider design. But it's dead sexy compared to Decade's final form. :lol What a hideous piece of shit.

Can't wait to see the Shinkenger crossover. :D

And now we know what the Dragon Knight panel at Comic Con will entail...

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci09_prog_sun.php

2:45-3:45 Kamen Rider Dragon Knight— Meet the cast of TheCW4Kids new action-packed, monster-clobbering masked-heroes series Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. Stars Stephen Lunsford (Kit), Matt Mullins (Len), and Yvonne Arias (Maya) will answer all your Kamen Rider questions! Plus, fans will get to view never-before-seen footage from future KRDK episodes! Lucky attendees will get the chance to win prizes from Bandai's KRDK toy line and more! Room 6DE

vareon

Snaku said:
Caught up to Episode 23 of Decade. Love this show so much. DiEnd's slowly becoming my favorite character in the show, despite my distaste for his Rider design. But it's dead sexy compared to Decade's final form. :lol What a hideous piece of shit.

I can't imagine how the design passed through meetings and all those quality checks.

"We need a design that shows that Decade has completed his 9-worlds journey and regained his powers."

"OK, how about we stick all the cards into his chest?"

"Brilliant! Now to emphasize that this is Decade, we slap HIS card on HIS forehead!"

...yo dawg, we heard you liked Decade so we put Decade in yo Decade so you can Kamen Ride while you Kamen Ride. Or things.

EDIT:

Can anyone tell me what is a Digital Grade?

3683944748e76eb3426ab.jpg

Troidal

DiEnd and Decade's final form are just utter shit. Then again, Heisei Riders in general have shit design so I really shouldn't be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom