• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Sixaxis problem

Blimblim said:
I've had this type of stuff happen with some bluetooth hardware on my PC, like a key repeating on the keyboard for a few seconds. I'm not a big fan of bluetooth.
Ah, I always thought it was just my keyboard.
For me the duration of the repeating key is like 30-seconds. It's annoying when it happens, and most of the times it always happens when I press the "k" key.

Bebpo

Banned
LJ11 said:
Wii owners that have been experience difficulties are doing the same thing to their Wiimotes, and it seems to be working for them as well.

Yeah, I was about to post that I seemed to be having the same problem with the Wii as with the PS3...except much more often. >_<

I wonder if having:

1. A wireless router
2. A USB wireless keyboard
3. A seperate USB wireless mouse
4. The PS3 which is "always on" (dunno if it's true) and its bluetooth
5. The Wii which is always on and its bluetooth

All sitting withing 3-5 feet of each other is gonna give me a lot of wireless interference/errors. If so then BOOO I hate next-gen issues >_<

Jeff-DSA said:
I've never liked bluetooth all that much with anything I have that uses it. It seems like typical temporary loss of communication for bluetooth.

Ah well, if it's a huge issue you can just leave the controller plugged in until some sort of fix is found. It would suck to lose a race due to this or something like that.

Imagine playing Oblivion when it comes out and forgetting to save just before getting killed.............thanks a Bluetooth problem. I forget to save for hours at a time in that game on my 360! (Died a few times too)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It could be happening with the wii-- but I wouldn't notice it. I lost the signal a few times playing Zelda and just assumed it was me pointing too far away from the sensor bar. Bluetooth strikes again, kiddies!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i charged my controller yesterday morning, and haven't had any of these problems since -- maybe it has something to do with battery levels? the ps menu battery indicator never told me that i was low on charge, but i know the one on 360 is inaccurate.

or it could be coincidence. if this shit persists, i'm just going to play with the cord plugged in.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
This is where Microsoft's experience with Windows comes in handy. They had dealt with Bluetooth before and had a pretty good understanding of it. Thus, they knew to stay away from it for controller purposes.

yep. they didn't want to go with a standard just because it is becoming a household name. they wanted to make a custom solution built specifically for gaming. when it was first announced, ms caught some flack for it for not going with an established standard, all the while trying to explain why bluetooth wasn't necessarily the best choice.

now perhaps people are seeing why they did this. their custom implementation is darn near flawless even if it takes one or two seconds longer to sync with the console than bluetooth does ;)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think sony went with bluetooth for misguided 'convergence' reasons -- yeah the controller signal drops all the time, but you can use standard wireless keyboards and mice and headsets! :rolleyes

dunno why nintendo went bluetooth -- does wii support any of that stuff?

LJ11 said:
People that are "familiar" with bluetooth actually know the hassles of the technology as evidenced in previous posts. So to say they added Bluetooth for marketing purposes is a bit illogical. Bluetooth is dirt cheap that's why Sony put it in.

these people you are referring to (as in people who frequent these message boards) aren't "people" in the general public. my parents have heard of bluetooth (many cars have this and cell phones certainly do) but they have no idea what it even does or why they'd want it. the general public recognizes this name as something "standard" and that makes people feel more comfortable (casual consumers, i mean).

so i am sure sony was trying to capitalize on it. also, their dealings with phones and other tech they produce surely meant that they could get it for dirt cheap as you said.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
*Thinks about playing VF5*
Good thing the joystick is wired.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Could it be a range issue? Not sure if it's bluetooth related, but I was getting the Wii network up and going, sitting at a computer, and noticed that the wiimote was out of range at about fifteen feet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't think there's a wireless technology that's completely immune to these random interferences. I've had this happen once with the sixaxis, but I've also had complete connection drops happen a few times between my 360 and its gamepad. The problem doesn't happen frequently enough in my experience to outweigh the freedom of wireless.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'm sure its just stupid interference. who knows what the hell kinda light is shooting around your house

and its also interesting that drohne and y2kev didn't have these problems anymore after having them plugged in.

this sounds exactly like the problems I have with my wireless PS2 controllers.

12106.jpg

"precise control with no lag" my ass. I died so many times in games because my character would just keep on walking after I let go of the stick and fall into holes or walk into a massive boss attack. grr.

JB1981

This happened twice to me last night. I was playing Resistance and my character start spinning around so fast I thought I was going to puke. It fixes itself after a few seconds, thankfully.

Hylian

Im not expert on the subject, but this definitely sounds like other wireless devices are messign with the bluetooth connection or the device signal volume is low (try changing the play distance/place). Wifi uses the same 2400 band with some universal tv-remotes microwaves,mouses , keyboards and such. Bluetooth connectiong changes the connection frequency all the time and the error correction has been improved with later revisions but there is no perfect noise free wireless technology, Thats why they sell those very expencive interference blocking video cables and why ms uses some less used frequency band with their wireles tech?. I quess to get it working, you need to get that 2400 band free of noise plus try to change the distance from and place where you play to see if it makes any difference.

Flo_Evans

drohne said:
i charged my controller yesterday morning, and haven't had any of these problems since -- maybe it has something to do with battery levels? the ps menu battery indicator never told me that i was low on charge, but i know the one on 360 is inaccurate.

or it could be coincidence. if this shit persists, i'm just going to play with the cord plugged in.

I am pretty convinced it is low battery. I was having a LOT of problems (check the official launch thread) that all went away after I let my controllers charge for a couple of hours.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
talked with sony tech support and they said they were having a ton of people call in with this problem and that they were just sending them brand new ps3 units to fix the problem....so i will be getting a box to send my ps3 back soon and i'm getting the new one in 7-10 days. I havent tried this but there is a controller reset button on the back that resets what channel the bluetooth will re-connect on...maybe that will help?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
[CFD] El Capitan said:
talked with sony tech support and they said they were having a ton of people call in with this problem and that they were just sending them brand new ps3 units to fix the problem....so i will be getting a box to send my ps3 back soon and i'm getting the new one in 7-10 days. I havent tried this but there is a controller reset button on the back that resets what channel the bluetooth will re-connect on...maybe that will help?

Sony is going to have to recall all the PS3s, lol.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Here's my connection drop tally :

X360 : 0
Wii : 0
PS2 Hori Wireless : 0
PS3 : 20-30 times?

It's a problem for me - perhaps this is just one big ploy so that people get so frustrated with the wireless pad that they have to buy a wired stick for VF5!

Triz

[CFD] El Capitan said:

How often were you getting drops? It only happens to me at most 2 times a session...not sure I want to ship my box off for that minor an issue?

NinSoX

Banned
[CFD] El Capitan said:

Wha...? They're replacing entire units for this problem? I would assume it's just a controller issue. I don't want to send my piece of hardware anywhere.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
2 Times a session is 2 times too many. 600 on a system it shouldnt be freakin out like that. Seems to me like its a bigger problem then alot of people would like to admit....and yeah i thought it was just the controller too...but i got an extra controller that does the same thing as well so that ruled it out....and it seemed like the tech knew exactly what i was talking about so he started the return process right away...

My Wii has never had any connection problems and I have it hooked via WiFi 24/7, flawless!

Sucks to hear about the PS3's bluetooth problems, maybe it's because Nintendo worked with Broadcom in coming up with the Wii and the Wiimote where as Sony simply used off the shelf hardware?

Treo360

My controller spazzed out in Resistance demo last night thrice. Oh well, good thing I play within the usb cord's distance as I think I'm going to leave it connected.

Top Bottom