• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

zulux21

After having finished Zelda after 100 hours played i'm back to Horizon. I must say - apart from 20 minutes of getting used to the controls again (sprint button, jump button, sneak button, etc.) i'm back to enjoying it throroughly.

... I'm pretty early-on in the story, still. Just did that "Nora revenge" on the east border of the map, but also went to the "Daytower" already.

I'm still using my original bow (or maybe the digital deluxe edition) bow and i feel somewhat underpowered - especially with regards to those fire breathing big beasts. Hell, it takes me 3 shots to down a boar.

Am i gonna get a better bow through story progress soon? Or does the game expect me to buy a new one?

you are in general expected to just buy new weapons.

and striking weak points in general is important.

Fliesen

you are in general expected to just buy new weapons.

and striking weak points in general is important.

yeah, i got that, but even if i hit their weak point with my regular bow (that doesn't do tear damage), i do like 29 instead of 20 damage.

But thanks, i'm always hesitant to buy gear in games where i feel like the game would hand me upgrades throughout the story.

But i got like 8000 metal shards already, so might as well spend em.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ok finishing off the platinum didn't end up being as bad as I thought. 61 hrs total playtime. I think it's my first legit platinum not counting Telltale Games stuff.

Extremely polished for open world and first attempt too. I can't think of a single bug I ran into not to mention they were quick to push out patches. My main issue was story delivery was a bit...lets just say I'm not a fan of big info dumps and a lot of the back story was done in that way.

Still 9/10 for me as an overall package. Interested to see what they can do for a sequel now that they have the first game under their belt. GG Guerilla.

it's quite likely, given the theories I have seen, but I hope they are wrong as...

Calfornia has been done to death in media in general, I would rather have some place that is rarely tapped like colorado was for this game. so here's hoping for Oregon :p

Normally I'd agree with you,
I think California is the most overdone US setting, (when it was announced that GTAV would take place there I was super disappointed, for instance) but you should read the glyph that describes tales from people that have ventured to the Forbidden West. It doesn't sound like California and the surrounding regions remained at all unchanged, some descriptions make it sound barely earth-like. There are mentions of sprawling blue sand dunes, prairies with razor-sharp grasses with shivering black flowers, and an ancient city buried underneath "sour" water. I think I'm ok with them setting it in California if it gets that crazy.

AndersK

Amazing game. Finished at 3:30 am last night. I hate life at work atm.

Totally worth it though! Guerilla made me feel...feels. Thats gotta be my gaming surprise og the year so far. Great storytelling, characters and gameplay. Hard really was a nice spot for me in terms om enjoyment.

Now give me a better final boss and i'm golden!

zulux21

I think California is the most overdone US setting, (when it was announced that GTAV would take place there I was super disappointed, for instance) but you should read the glyph that describes tales from people that have ventured to the Forbidden West. It doesn't sound like California and the surrounding regions remained at all unchanged, some descriptions make it sound barely earth-like. There are mentions of sprawling blue sand dunes, prairies with razor-sharp grasses with shivering black flowers, and an ancient city buried underneath "sour" water. I think I'm ok with them setting it in California if it gets that crazy.

well yeah if they do go there I expect them to do it well.
and given the setting there is plenty of flexibility in general to make things drastically different then our current world anyways.

Sjefen

Have 45 hours in this game and 65% finished, I am sad the game is almost finished. Cant believe Guerilla made this game, this is some CD project level shit and in some areas much better. Graphics, gameplay, story all top notch. Small issue is fighting humans, is so boring and has no challenge compared to fighting machines. And would be nice to be able to lock onto a enemy.

Only fitting that I hit level 50 today after slaying our former "friend"
Nile
. Honestly everything feels too easy after getting the ancient armor. Taking my time and looking for side quests before pushing on and completing the last few missions.

Got an LG OLED last week, caved and bought a Pro and Horizon this week. Only about an hour in but loving it already. Game is gorgeous.

Also, fantastic OT title.

Bought a ps4 pro for this game and holy balls was i not dissapointed, first thing to actually be able to take advantage of my 4k oled and it is just incredible.

Playing this on the vivid preset almost gives the illusion of it being 60 fps. Easily best looking game i have ever played.

My eyes hurt just by reading this post.

ClearData

Just beat the game and that was one of the best game experiences in my life. A fine RPG with a world that is vivid and rich. And a thrilling sci-fi story.

Aloy is undoubtedly one of the best protagonists to ever grace a game. The emotions I'm feeling right now are hard to explain. All I know is that I experienced something beautiful and moving in her quest to understand her place in the world.

Guerilla congratulations and thank you so much for this masterpiece.

TTG

I was thinking of doing my own very very hard mode. No mods or concentration.

No concentration could be fun, but without mods it would probably be insufferable. How many times would you need to hit a canister for it to trigger?

BraXzy

You know I really wish there had been more in the way of gear progression. It felt like I made no progress and then hit a point and got a few extra bits all at once. That happened a couple times and that was that. It would've been nice to have more skins/enhanced stats.

danowat

Banned
How far am I through the main story if I have just reached
Sunfall?

My wife was watching my play for a little while this morning, I was killing a group of mechs, and shooting at a LongLeg.

She said, blimey, that's a weird game!

I was thinking of doing my own very very hard mode. No mods or concentration.
It's funny how this game has people inventing ways to increase its challenge. After I realized Very Hard wasn't hard enough, I imposed a no crafting during combat rule and started playing with Aloy's Proving outfit.

I really hope we get a ng+ with a higher difficulty.

Elandyll

Banned
Platinumed (and 100%), which I have only done for 1 other game this gen (Bloodborne).

Easily my Goty for this year so far, and I can't wait for a now rumored DLC.

Congrats to GG, they really knocked it out of the park with Horizon Zero Dawn imo.

Rost would be an easier sell to most I think.

that being said... why not both, and then also a more in depth story dlc about the past fighting the robots :p

Oh, I'd be fine with both. :)

I just like the idea of revisiting that particular cast of characters in a different context. lol

This guy holds one of the most interesting sidequests in the game, and it's so easily missed if you don't explore the world.

horizonzerodawn_201704nuoe.png

horizonzerodawn_20170n3u93.png

MaKTaiL

I'm on the wall of shame! Yuhuuuu! First time for everything. Hahahaha. I'm surprised Sushi_Legend didn't make it.

This guy holds one of the most interesting sidequests in the game, and it's so easily missed if you don't explore the world.

I wish we get to see him again on a potential DLC.

SomTervo

Dat OT2 and OT2 title

crwdc.gif

Just got back into this game after letting my thumb have a rest from RSI.

Such a good game, if a little frustrating sometimes.

Chuckie

Those fucking Rockbreakers. Can't keep them from going underground.

Only time I won against them was when I had a Ravager gun.

What are your tactics guys?

silva1991

Those fucking Rockbreakers. Can't keep them from going underground.

Only time I won against them was when I had a Ravager gun.

What are your tactics guys?

Ropecaster followed by freezing(to slow it down) followed by rain of attacks on it's two green container on the sides.

if you explode both I'm pretty sure it will die.

bombshell

Platinumed (and 100%), which I have only done for 1 other game this gen (Bloodborne).

Easily my Goty for this year so far, and I can't wait for a now rumored DLC.

Congrats to GG, they really knocked it out of the park with Horizon Zero Dawn imo.

An expansion with no further details was officially announced in the first 2 weeks sales press release, so it's not just a rumour.

I'm on the wall of shame! Yuhuuuu! First time for everything. Hahahaha. I'm surprised Sushi_Legend didn't make it.

I wish we get to see him again on a potential DLC.

At the end of the quest he did say that he would
now go to the Forbidden West, which I suspect is going to be the sequel location.

The
blue sand dunes is the Pacific Ocean

Whoever wrote it had never seen the sea.

Holy shit, I'm on my phone and thought that second pic was cosplay. The lighting is crazy there.

Top Bottom