• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snes & NES game suggestions

robot

A few weeeks ago, my half yellow/half gray Snes died on me. Having built up a small but decent library of games, I decided to pick up an FC Twin. I have most of my Snes games covered, but I haven't had a working NES in a few years, so my library is pretty dim. Can anyone suggest some "must-haves" I may have passed up? Here's what I have:

NES:
Excitebike
Baseball Stars
Metal Gear
Goonies 2
Bionic Commando
Shadow of the Ninja

SNES:
Super Metroid
Bomberman 1&2
Axelay
UN Squadron
Sky Blazer
Castlevania X
Castlevania 4
Kirby Collection
Crono Trigger
F-Zero
Megaman X
Cybernator
Mario All Stars
a few other's I'm forgetting

robot said:
A few weeeks ago, my half yellow/half gray Snes died on me. Having built up a small but decent library of games, I decided to pick up an FC Twin. I have most of my Snes games covered, but I haven't had a working NES in a few years, so my library is pretty dim. Can anyone suggest some "must-haves" I may have passed up? Here's what I have:

NES:
Excitebike
Baseball Stars
Metal Gear
Goonies 2
Bionic Commando
Shadow of the Ninja

SNES:
Super Metroid
Bomberman 1&2
Axelay
UN Squadron
Sky Blazer
Castlevania X
Castlevania 4
Kirby Collection
Crono Trigger
F-Zero
Megaman X
Cybernator
Mario All Stars
a few other's I'm forgetting

You have a very, VERY nice collection. I'm particuarly impressed with Cybernator, Castlevania X, The two snes Bombermans, Sky Blazer, and Axelay. Actually, every game you listed is awesome.

But anyway, I could probably make you a list of games that you'd enjoy each and every one of....but I'll let the topic grow.

Here's two NES games you(and every one who enjoys action platformers) should play:

ninja_gaiden_nes.gif

Ninja Gaiden

metalstorm1-1.png

Metal Storm

robot

I was thinking of getting the Ninja Gaiden Collection on Snes, but not sure if it's a good port of those titles. I'll also check out Metal Storm - looks pretty cool and I've never played it.

It's funny that you mention Cybernator, Castlevania X, Sky Blazer, and Axelay - those are all games I bought last week after I got the system. The only one out those I owned previously was Axelay. I managed to get Castlevania X for $12, but the label is torn - hard to pass that up considering I've seen it go for $50+. Great game so far but really tough (same w/ Cybernator).

Little Samson (NES) - A wonderful, underrated platformer. No amount of fanfare this games gets is enough for me. I hope it gets a VC release.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Contra III: The Alien Wars
ActRaiser

Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball... (I...love...that...game)

Night_Trekker said:
Little Samson (NES) - A wonderful, underrated platformer. No amount of fanfare this games gets is enough for me. I hope it gets a VC release.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure Taito is a supporter of the VC.

I'd recommend Little Samson too...but finding a copy, for any price, is a real pain.

the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for SNES isnt nearly as good as the original NG NES games, IMO

Acronyms!

Also I would look for more SNES RPGs:

Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma (even though its jap/eur only)
Lufia I and II
Breath of Fire I and II
Harvest Moon

also for SNES: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
NES: TMNT2: The Arcade Game

Rabid Pancake

TheTrin's underpaid lackey
Not Lord of The Rings. I tried this game last night and wow, how did someone not notice how freaking terrible this game is? This is the kinda game where I see men in dark alleys being handed large suitcases of money to keep quiet about this.

Ranger X

I discovered a couple of very freaking nice games thanks to threads like this.

- Journey To Sillius
- Shatterhand
- Little Samson

(all NES)

Fuzzy said:
NES Guide
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37987

SNES Guide
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40287

Hey SonicMegaDrive, didn't you say you wanted to revise these the way you did for your Genesis Guide?

Yes'm. I'm always collaborating information and gathering up new games to play to get opinions on. When I redo them, I figure I'll organize them a little bit better, so it's easier to find stuff. Also, there's a few games here and there that I put too low that I've come back to, and had second thoughts on. I have a pretty big passion for classic gaming at the moment, thanks to the VC, so it might happen soon. :)

Ranger X

SonicMegaDrive said:
Yes'm. I'm always collaborating information and gathering up new games to play to get opinions on. When I redo them, I figure I'll organize them a little bit better, so it's easier to find stuff. Also, there's a few games here and there that I put too low that I've come back to, and had second thoughts on. I have a pretty big passion for classic gaming at the moment, thanks to the VC, so it might happen soon. :)

I really appreciated your listing but you know what would be really, really, really amazing? To show us screenshots of at least the game listed under "Best".

I don't know if you have that kind of passion though :D

Ranger X said:
I really appreciated your listing but you know what would be really, really, really amazing? To show us screenshots of at least the game listed under "Best".

I don't know if you have that kind of passion though :D

Nah, that would be no problem. Maybe when I do it, I'll put the "10 Best games for each category", followed by some screenes and maybe a brief synopsis.

mr stroke

Contra 3
FF III
Chrono Triger
StarFox
Star Wars+Empire Strikes Back+ROTJ(all great platformers)
Out of this World
Secret of Mana
Super Gouls and Ghosts
Final Fight

Ranger X

edbrat said:
are y'all too cool to suggest Super Mario Kart?

well I loved it, and YOU CAN TOO!

I took this thread as someone looking for more obscure jems...
Super Mario Karts is one of the very best games to ever grace this world.

edbrat

I took this thread as someone looking for more obscure jems...

oh ok, fair enough Ranger X :)

cos I was a little man back then, I only had very few games - all totally non-obscure <violins begin>

The Ninja Warriors, a.k.a. The Ninja Warriors Again (SNES) - A great side-scrolling beat'em up that didn't get much acclaim when it was released. Another title I would really love to see on the VC. I think this one will be hard to find, though.

guess

NES:
The Guardian Legend

SNES:
Bubsy, the first one. The second one has got to be the worst game I have ever played.
B.O.B

robot

Wow those guides are exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I'm adding Guardian Legend, Crystalis and Blaster Master to the NES list. I also found a few more Snes games in my closet:

Contra 3
Super Punch Out
Yoshi's Island
Rival Turf

I also recommend Ninja Warriors for Snes - I borrowed it from a friend back in the day and loved it. I've been eyeing Mysitcal Ninja, Demons Crest and Wild Guns on ebay. I had Mystical Ninja awhile ago and loved it.

rezuth

OffT: Does anyone remember a game that reminds you of lemmings but instead with soldiers (Medivial theme) that you give parts so they capture castles and shit for the SNES?

tnw

Banned
Final fantasy is notably missing, especially VI.

suicide6.gif

Shadowrun is suprisingly prescient for its time (internet and matrix in 1990? woah.)

200px-Shadowrun-snes-screenshot.jpg

Knights of the round is a great little game, better than final fight in my opinion

xKnights_Of_The_Round.png

And there were some great sport games for the NES, and I don't even like sport games.

RBI Baseball

225px-RBIBaseballNES.png

Tecmobowl

tecmobowl.jpg

robot

That NES list was a huge help. I'm looking at getting the following games:

Metal Storm (already purchased)
Startropics
Batman
3D World Runner
Cobra Triangle
Blaster Master
Vice: Project Doom
Guardian Legend

I wanted to pick up games I never played back when I was busy playing through the more popular games like Megaman 3 and Ducktales over and over. I borrowed Batman from a friend and remember it being pretty amazing for it's time. My brother had Blaster Master but I sucked at it - looked really cool though.

As for the FC Twin, it's working really well so far, except the controllers aren't too great. I switched to official Snes controllers and they work fine. Great system for those who dont want to buy someones old systems, or dont want to deal with the front loading nes (although I'm not sure if every game works on this thing).

bionic77

SonicMegaDrive said:
Here's two NES games you(and every one who enjoys action platformers) should play:

ninja_gaiden_nes.gif

Ninja Gaiden
I suggest skipping Ninja Gaiden 1 and going straight to 2. 2 was better in pretty much every way and it is easier to boot for a newbie.

I love both games, but NG1 might be a little too tough for someone who isn't used to NES difficulty and the randomness of the enemies.

Jurassic Park Part 2: The Chaos Continues - If you don't mind a challenge, this is a good side scrolling action game. Wonderful soundtrack, too.

One person mentioned Earthbound, my favorite game ever... one person. Good grief.

GI Joe for NES is one of my favorite shooty platformers for the system, and Zombies ate My Neighbours for SNES is a good bet too. Everybody likes that game. It's fun incarnate.

Top Bottom