• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
R is the handbrake button and you might want to disable the driving assits. It makes your car turn to keep your car parallel to the street you are in, it cause excessive swaying with some of the powerfull cars.

Yes, this game is awesome. Finished the story mode in 14 hours and 43 mins, currently at 18 hours 40 mins with 82.64% and I don't want to put it down yet. DQ5 can wait some more!

Was pretty pissed at not finding the 21st and last safehouse when I finished some random character storyline where... he commited suicide by jumping from a bridge and I just obtained his house. This game is sick:lol

EDIT : B-b-b-beaten!

Darklord

Banned
Pandamator said:
2igm0p2.jpg

There's supposed to be a good game buried somewhere beneath all those stickers. Can you find out which?

Anyway, starting to play now :D

That ratings sticker stays the same size even on DS boxes? Christ, it's massive!

tiddles

BenjaminBirdie said:
I really do love the atmosphere and the diversity and the tone of this game but holy cow the controls on the cars are atrocious. Is there an ebrake button because turning is ridiculous. I just tried to do Wheelman this morning and ran out of time.

It's like the third mission!

:(

Keep trying - it clicks after a while. I found it uncomfortable to use the R button for the handbrake because I hold the stylus ready in my fingers while using the main controls, so I only use the normal brake and accelerate buttons, and it's generally fine - lay off the accelerator or just dab the brake before you go into the turn, and only accelerate when you're straight again, and you should be able to make the corners in the majority of vehicles... some drive like pigs whatever you do, of course.

tiddles said:
Keep trying - it clicks after a while. I found it uncomfortable to use the R button for the handbrake because I hold the stylus ready in my fingers while using the main controls, so I only use the normal brake and accelerate buttons, and it's generally fine - lay off the accelerator or just dab the brake before you go into the turn, and only accelerate when you're straight again, and you should be able to make the corners in the majority of vehicles... some drive like pigs whatever you do, of course.

Yeah, it's already gotten a bit easier. Just waiting for it to fully click. Also, I'm a lefty, so I shouldn't have a problem with the RB.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Maybe you're driving terrible cars like the Dukes? A couple of cars in the game have insanely bad handling, but the rest are absolute butter. I rarely ever used the e-brake, as even just a tap of the regular brake allowed me to make perfect turns.

yeah, the Dukes car is such garbage. It was always outside of that one guy's missions and I had to remember to take my own car to his location. It was like driving on ice with ice wheel in a car made of jello.

the driving was fine for the most part after some time with it. Problem for me was that most streets were a bit too narrow is all.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The bad cars are such a liability--so easy to get two stars in a Dukes just by inadvertently sliding into cops like some Looney Tunes cartoon.

Wizpig

About options in this GTA: i have to say this is a game where different options provide a dramatically different experience, and most of the most useful options are "Off" by default.
Do you keep "Easy Driving" on or off? [i keep it off, find the game unplayable if it is on] what about GPS, Radar and health on the upper screen, brightness, etc.?:D

I still have to try Auto-aim off while in veichles, don't really have a clue how could it work without automatic aim.
Maybe you're driving terrible cars like the Dukes? A couple of cars in the game have insanely bad handling
Yep, that's unfortunate.
Also, there's this certain bike terrible to handle.

Oreoleo

Wizpig said:
About options in this GTA: i have to say this is a game where different options provide a dramatically different experience, and most of the most useful options are "Off" by default.
Do you keep "Easy Driving" on or off? [i keep it off, find the game unplayable if it is on] what about GPS, Radar and health on the upper screen, brightness, etc.?:D

Everything, on.

AstroLad said:
The bad cars are such a liability--so easy to get two stars in a Dukes just by inadvertently sliding into cops like some Looney Tunes cartoon.

I like the Dukes! As I said before, you can kill cop cars just by touching them in that thing.

I find upper GPS makes the game pretty unfun. I don't notice anything except the yellow arrows and miss the city around it. I prefer just making a waypath on the GPS. They're both pretty much in your line of sight at all times.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm the opposite--without the arrows I'm constantly looking down trying to figure out where I'm going. With the arrows I get on my path, line up down the center of the road and just cruise on the lookout for jumps and other random fun. I don't even have to worry about missing turns because the GPS will just guide me no matter where I wind up going.

I can see it both ways but that's just my personal pref. Never been much of a GTA navigator.

Wizpig

AstroLad said:
I'm the opposite--without the arrows I'm constantly looking down trying to figure out where I'm going. With the arrows I get on my path, line up down the center of the road and just cruise on the lookout for jumps and other random fun. I don't even have to worry about missing turns because the GPS will just guide me no matter where I wind up going.
Agreed.
Another little options doubt... is the "strong" brightness option for the DS phat?

As for the game itself, i recently finished GTA: TLAD [yet another GTA better than IV, imo], one would think another GTA so close would be boring, but it's just so fresh and fun... it's really another thing compared to the PSP GTAs.

Ah, yes, i was reading older posts:
@
AstroLad said:
My general beefs with the game after more gameplay (still gets a 5.0 for Fun Factor though):
5.0 out of...?:D

andthebeatgoeson

AstroLad said:
Maybe you're driving terrible cars like the Dukes? A couple of cars in the game have insanely bad handling, but the rest are absolute butter. I rarely ever used the e-brake, as even just a tap of the regular brake allowed me to make perfect turns.
I can tap the brake just slightly and still hit a turn pretty easily if I'm flying down the street.

I can't live without the upper screen GPS. It's a great function for the DS. They need to offer it in all upcoming GTAs. I think it would really work out. But the actually planning computer for the GPS is terrible. Often finds the slowest or wrong route. Unless there are plenty of one way streets. I do with the GPS would load faster.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Graphics Horse said:
I like the Dukes! As I said before, you can kill cop cars just by touching them in that thing.

I hated the Dukes, but now love it. It's so erratic and wild to control, yet has great speed and acceleration, and ramming cop cars head on down a highway is bliss.

I really like that the random pedestrian missions are pretty much all in two parts. It's fun to see the consequences of the first mission play out in the second.

Wizpig

EatChildren said:
I really like that the random pedestrian missions are pretty much all in two parts. It's fun to see the consequences of the first mission play out in the second.
After that crazy dude and his
kill the "dragon"
mission i accidentally killed him, will i be able to see the second part?:lol

Forkball

I'm having trouble finding the pedestrian missions. I've done...

The hot dog guy
The woman who thought she was dieing
The hooker mission

I've heard of the others but can't find them anywhere. Today I did the
zombie mission on Colony Island. It was kind of boring at first, but in the later levels when they are rushing at you with swords and torches it gets really intense.

So, just got the game, three questions:

1. The view forward on the vehicle option. I really don't notice much of a difference. Is there supposed to be a noticeable one?

2. What's the "burnout" option? Is it only for certain vehicles?

3. Where the hell is the Gun Club, I can't find it. :lol

bdouble

So anyone check out the box contents? Nice map and pretty sweet manual. Pretty surprising but I guess it is R*.

EmCeeGramr said:
So, just got the game, three questions:

1. The view forward on the vehicle option. I really don't notice much of a difference. Is there supposed to be a noticeable one?

2. What's the "burnout" option? Is it only for certain vehicles?

3. Where the hell is the Gun Club, I can't find it. :lol

1) Like other GTAs (at least 3) the camera pulls back the faster you go. So when your going fast and its at 10 you will be pulled back really far

2)Burnout is holding brake + gas and then releasing and yes its only certain vehicles.

3) Its at the SW corner of the airport. So there is road running along the coast and you can hear the guns.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Is there anyway to get inside the tanks when you get a 6-star wanted rating?

I just saw somebody get into a taxi that was on fire :lol

Mistouze

Extollere said:
Is there anyway to get inside the tanks when you get a 6-star wanted rating?

I just saw somebody get into a taxi that was on fire :lol

You have to damage it first till smoke comes out. Just the same as for getting into an Ammunation truck. Good luck :lol

A friend of mine ordered the game, I will be able to try the multiplayer modes soon :D

Amir0x

Banned
Well I've spent a LOT of time with this game now, and have given it time to mull over in my head.

A 6/10:

Basically it has fun moments, but there was too much loss compared to other GTA games:

1. Car handling is really inconsistent in this game vs. 3D GTA titles. In 3D GTA titles, the quality is much more even and predictable. In this GTA, there are some downright atrocious-to-handle vehicles.

2. Music, while obviously having to fit for cartridge consumption, loses so, so goddamn much. One of the best things about GTA games is radio stations and radio station personalities, but all of that is dropped here for purely instrument tracks. It HAD to be dropped for space reasons, but the loss is felt deeply.

3. Visuals. Not much needs be said here.

4. This will obviously be the controversial segment of the post. Fucking touchscreen gimmicks. Now I went through a period after DS launch where I liked these bizarre touchscreen gimmicks because it was new, but that faded quickly and it turned to distraction to terrible when used incorrectly. Here in my opinion is where it is used very, very incorrectly. In countless scenarios, the game decides to break up good fun action with lame, skill-less touch screen mini-games. Unscrew this, cut this, scratch that. Even after they introduce the elements, forever you go into the game you will occasionally encounter these dumb things that stop the flow of the action and ruin pacing. I don't want your touchscreen molotov making, stop it!

Cutting drugs out may be neat ONE time, but is boring and fun after the 5th time. It doesn't add immersion, it doesn't add challenge. It adds boring. It stops action.

In GTA games, I don't want to fucking stop to unlock ignition just to hijack some cars. I don't want to screw wires into a bomb. I don't want to revive dying heart patients. It's not even particularly good CONTROL, since constantly having to move from controls to stylus is cumbersome and annoying. About a billion times I wished there was an option to turn it off and play it straight. I would enjoy the game more this way, since there is a pretty solid foundation beneath.

5. Obvious limitation of DS, cannot be helped, but controlling vehicles via D-pad is never preferable, so it is a loss vs. other GTA games and it is less fun driving because of this.

On the PLUS side:

+ I really like drug trafficing
+ I really like the way you throw things, like the boxes off the back of your truck and the molotovs. Very elegant way of adding precision to the top down GTA titles.
+ Missions have very good variety and are fun when you get past the flaws listed above.
+ Great humour and funny dialogue. Very cheesy but honestly very enjoyable to watch.

Mistouze

Amir0x said:
I don't want your touchscreen molotov making, stop it!

Buy them?

As for your problems with control, even if I kinda agree it didn't phase me out like that. I don't know where you are at in the game but the game might get more appealing to you once you find more and more optional stuff.

Hint : For the ambulance missions, use your thumb.

bdouble

Amirox I've found that some of the touch screen elements can be bi passed.

Just buy molotovs from ammunation
only jack cars that aren't parked.
For toll booths just jump out as your going though then get back in the car on the other side.

Basically doing these 3 things the only time I use the touch screen are when its required for missions (bombs and what not) and dealing drugs or using the PDA.

mileS

Anyone here use the steering assist? I just started playing and i'm not sure what to pick to start getting used to.

HBP

So I got a almost new DS Lite yesterday for the great price of $70 so I decided to pick up Chinatown Wars... I love this game, I can't believe how good it is.

I played a bit of the GTA game on PSP and I find this game to be a lot more fun, it is very well suited for a portable.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amir0x said:
1. Car handling is really inconsistent in this game vs. 3D GTA titles. In 3D GTA titles, the quality is much more even and predictable. In this GTA, there are some downright atrocious-to-handle vehicles.

It's a steeper learning curve, and some vehicles are bust (trucks should get much faster and plow through stuff), but overall the car controls are absolutely fine.

I really don't get the continued bitching by so many people. Now that I'm used to the handling I never have driving problems. Bikes are the only ones that have a difficulty spike, but I love it as its like the old games.

lopaz

Banned
Amir0x said:
4. This will obviously be the controversial segment of the post. Fucking touchscreen gimmicks. Now I went through a period after DS launch where I liked these bizarre touchscreen gimmicks because it was new, but that faded quickly and it turned to distraction to terrible when used incorrectly. Here in my opinion is where it is used very, very incorrectly. In countless scenarios, the game decides to break up good fun action with lame, skill-less touch screen mini-games. Unscrew this, cut this, scratch that. Even after they introduce the elements, forever you go into the game you will occasionally encounter these dumb things that stop the flow of the action and ruin pacing. I don't want your touchscreen molotov making, stop it!

Cutting drugs out may be neat ONE time, but is boring and fun after the 5th time. It doesn't add immersion, it doesn't add challenge. It adds boring. It stops action.

I thought they could have been a cool addition if they were all timed, and the time was shorter. If there's no consequence for taking too long, then it's not a minigame, it's just a timewaster.

bdouble

mileS said:
Anyone here use the steering assist? I just started playing and i'm not sure what to pick to start getting used to.

I turned it off when I started the game and now I'm flying through traffic. It takes some time to get used to but its not needed.

Falch

bdouble said:
Amirox I've found that some of the touch screen elements can be bi passed.

For toll booths just jump out as your going though then get back in the car on the other side.

Why didn't I think of that? Very useful.

braves01

Banned
bdouble said:
I turned it off when I started the game and now I'm flying through traffic. It takes some time to get used to but its not needed.

Steer assist is the default right? I don't remember ever switching it off, and I have no problems driving.

Also, for those who've beaten the game, about how long is it if you just go through the story missions? I'm only a few hours in, but I like this way more than any other GTA I've played (inlcuding GTA IV
or as I like to say, GTA Bore
), so I'm hoping this one lasts a while.

Deku

Banned
I had a lot of trouble with the driving when I first got the game but I've now learned enough of it I can easily lose the police or make a quick turn at the last minute and have the cars crash into a wall :) Drive assist is a ncie feature and as already mentioned driving down the middle of a road is almost always a good way to gain speed and not have to worry about crashing.

Visually, I think the 2D sprite art pales in comparison to the lively 3D city they built and the touch screen 'gimmicks' which are almost entirely in 2D tend to detract from the overall consistency of the visual experience.

Scratch cards are addictive though.

I'm not a big fan of the series and this hasn't changed it. That said, The friendly save system allows me to play this game in 5, 10 minute spurts oftentimes achieving nothing but making a bit of money or just having a fun chase around town.

Fatalah

This is the first game I've really been able to enjoy on my commute, outside of iPod's Bricks. I've nearly missed my stop on 3 different occasions!

I'm interested in tinkering with the settings now. I find walking/running to be quite annoying-- maybe turning off auto-correct steering will help.

Also, I can't wait to put the GPS on the top screen-- that's HUGE.

Stitch

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
It HAD to be dropped for space reasons, but the loss is felt deeply.

Well, they could have used a bigger cartridge. NDS cartridges can be 256mb big. GTA uses a 128mb cartridge.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Mistouze said:
You have to damage it first till smoke comes out. Just the same as for getting into an Ammunation truck. Good luck :lol

A friend of mine ordered the game, I will be able to try the multiplayer modes soon :D

Goooooaawwdd.. I can't fucking get into it! 99 Molotovs, 40 RPGs, 999 rounds in everything. I jump up to the top of a building and start tossing the mollies. I get a 4 and 5 star rating soon and keep taking down helicopters and swat vans. No one can reach me up here. As soon as the tanks come it is impossible to damage them with the RPG because they hug up beside the building for some reason and just camp there nestled against the wall. If I try to shoot down at them even from the very edge of the building the RPG shot hits my feet and either kills me or knocks me off the building so I am laying flat and get busted immediately. If I jump down and try to storm the tank, I get shot, run over, busted, or wasted by a tank missile. I've hit the tank maybe twice with the RPG successfully and there appears to be no damage. It's like so fucking impossible. I know that you will get the tank in another mission but I'm so dead stuck on commandeering it right now - this way =P and it's so damn infuriating!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Spent a lot of time with this game over the weekend. I really love it.

Question, though: Is there any reward for destroying security cameras? I just realized that I've played 25% of the game and haven't destroyed a single one, and have made over $40k in drug dealing. I know destroying them lowers prices, but is it worth it for more dealers?

Burekma

meppi said:
Jesus man, €40!
You shouldn't be paying that much for games. :(
I ordered mine from Play.com for €23.50 including shipping.
Heh thats the first thing I noticed as well. Some of you guys are getting raped with these prices.

You should seriously consider importing and exploiting that weak british pound. Anyway, have the game, but no DS :( Hopefully tomorrow...

Amir0x

Banned
Stitch said:
Well, they could have used a bigger cartridge. NDS cartridges can be 256mb big. GTA uses a 128mb cartridge.

Honestly I hope when the systems go up in power again, they don't drop the attempt at top-down GTA just because they can all handle fully 3D GTA's. Even though this one is heavily flawed, it has a strong foundation to build upon and finally make top-town GTA titles as fun as 3D ones. I hope with added space they could add such things as vocal radio stations. And of course tweak handling and tone down gimmicks. And more voice samples for civilians, they repeat SO much here. That one chick must have said "you want a piece of my pie?" like a billion times already. :lol

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
AstroLad said:

Really? I kinda like the Dukes.

Oh, and thanks for mentioning that GPS on the road option, didn't know about that. Half of the time when I drive into something, it's because I'm looking on the radar on the lower screen.

Deku

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Really? I kinda like the Dukes.

Oh, and thanks for mentioning that GPS on the road option, didn't know about that. Half of the time when I drive into something, it's because I'm looking on the radar on the lower screen.

how do you get the gps on the road?

meppi said:
Jesus man, €40!
You shouldn't be paying that much for games. :(
I ordered mine from Play.com for €23.50 including shipping.

And I thought it was cheap :( I don't buy DS games too often...

lopaz

Banned
OK I just went through the whole game without using ammunation, I can't find any of their stores and in the GPS it says the option is unavailable. I have an email saying "touch the link below to activate the service" but there's no link :( what do I do?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
lopaz said:
OK I just went through the whole game without using ammunation, I can't find any of their stores and in the GPS it says the option is unavailable. I have an email saying "touch the link below to activate the service" but there's no link :( what do I do?
PDA-->Ammu-Nation. Order through PDA and it drops the items off at your nearest place (with a handy-dandy GPS icon to boot).

lopaz

Banned
AstroLad said:
PDA-->Ammu-Nation. Order through PDA and it drops the items off at your nearest place (with a handy-dandy GPS icon to boot).

Yehuh that's what I'ma sayin, the option in the PDA is greyed out

Top Bottom