• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Dynamic3

When attempting to force 16xAF using nVidia control panel, do I use the 'Far Cry 3 (farcy3.exe)' profile or the 'Far Cry 3 (fc3launch_pcUr.exe)'?

I hope I can do 1080p on Ultra & some AA. If I need to bump a few things down, I will. What's the verdict?
OC'd i7 2600K @ 4.2ghz
16gb RAM
gtx570

What voltages should I run to get my i7 up to 4.2? I have an aftermarket cooler which keeps it nice and cool when at 3.8Ghz if I can bump it up anymore is love to.
In all honesty it depends on your mobo more than anything.

My processor (running on a P6TD Deluxe) will hit 3.8 at around 1.2-1.22 volts, but it hits a wall after that. I used to just leave it at 3.8 because I was worried about going too high, but a few months ago I decided that I was either going to get it running safely @4.2 or kill it trying lol. Eventually I managed to get stable with 1.35V on both the Vcore and QPI, but I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're not overly worried about damaging your CPU.

The only reason I went for it was because I'm at the point where I'm looking for a reason to upgrade (read: I need a reason to justify spending a grand on a new mobo and CPU :p), but the common sense part of my brain is telling me that I should just wait for Haswell at this point.

EDIT: So that my post is at least a little on-topic, I was hoping that disabling HT would help with the stuttering like it did with BF3 at launch, but it didn't.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
In all honesty it depends on your mobo more than anything.

My processor (running on a P6TD Deluxe) will hit 3.8 at around 1.2-1.22 volts, but it hits a wall after that. I used to just leave it at 3.8 because I was worried about going too high, but a few months ago I decided that I was either going to get it running safely @4.2 or kill it trying lol. Eventually I managed to get stable with 1.35V on both the Vcore and QPI, but I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're not overly worried about damaging your CPU.

The only reason I went for it was because I'm at the point where I'm looking for a reason to upgrade (read: I need a reason to justify spending a grand on a new mobo and CPU :p), but the common sense part of my brain is telling me that I should just wait for Haswell at this point.
I completely understand. I'm actually in the same boat. I just found a pretty extensive guide actually. Running at 4.2 now actually. I'm the market for a new PC too. Though I know I should wait till the newest chipset to come out first. Honestly, the i7-920 has been one of the best processors I've ever had. 4 years and it still runs great. Hopefully this 4.2 ghz will stick, if not I'll clock back down to 3.8.

I completely understand. I'm actually in the same boat. I just found a pretty extensive guide actually. Running at 4.2 now actually. I'm the market for a new PC too. Though I know I should wait till the newest chipset to come out first. Honestly, the i7-920 has been one of the best processors I've ever had. 4 years and it still runs great. Hopefully this 4.2 ghz will stick, if not I'll clock back down to 3.8.

4.2 with a i7 920 is damn good. I have a i7 930 and I couldn't get it stable above 4.0 Ghz. 100% stable for 2 years at 3.9 Ghz but anything further and it shits the bed.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
4.2 with a i7 920 is damn good. I have a i7 930 and I couldn't get it stable above 4.0 Ghz. 100% stable for 2 years at 3.9 Ghz but anything further and it shits the bed.

Well I can't speak for stability yet, but so far so good. I'll play FC3 all night and then run prime95 when I go to bed and see where in at in the morning.

I'm hoping the higher clock will give me better performance.

JRW

Which CPU cooler are you using? Ive had my i7 920 @ 3.36ghz for over 2 years with 0 issues but my load temps are borderline (Stock Intel cooler) only reason I haven't tried higher.

zam

Running it at 1680x1050 with almost rock solid 60fps. Seen it dip to 54 at on point and down to 30 only once in a very dense jungle part.

Specs:
GTX 670 OC @ 1280MHz
i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz
16gb RAM

Settings:
Everything at the highest settings.
DX11
MSAA 2X
HDAO
Alpha to coverage: Off
V-Sync 1 frame

Gonna try with MSAA off to see if i can keep it at a constant 60fps.

Also does anyone know if SMAA works with this game?

Edit: MSAA off and my GPU is only running at 60% usage lol. From 85%-100% with MSAA 2X

Pimpbaa

I have a smoother framerate with the Max gpu buffered frames set at 3, on the default 1 I get a lot of random / sudden FPS drops. The only downside is a slightly increased input lag with it set on 3. (i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / GTX 480 / 310.64 driver)

I get no stutter with 1, but it's very important to have this option on. Also setting the v-sync to 2 frames is basically triple buffering. I'm not getting the highest framerates, but at least the frames seem even and not stuttery.

legacyzero

Banned
So I'm getting an average of 45-50 FPS on max DX11 settings with 2xAA.

She dips here and there, but overall a smooth experience. I need to pick a couple settings that I can reduce to get it to a smooth 60 without much of a quality hit.

I was playing for a couple of hours when suddenly I couldn't connect to the uplay server or whatever. Then I went to the crafting menu...

ibiKT7ht2X9Bdp.png

There's nothing there anymore, same with the rucksack. Has this happened to anyone else? I honestly don't see how it could possibly be tied to Ubisoft's servers just because that would be the dumbest thing in the world.

i-Lo

So I'm getting an average of 45-50 FPS on max DX11 settings with 2xAA.

She dips here and there, but overall a smooth experience. I need to pick a couple settings that I can reduce to get it to a smooth 60 without much of a quality hit.

Can you link me to a post where you have posted your computer's specs?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I was playing for a couple of hours when suddenly I couldn't connect to the uplay server or whatever. Then I went to the crafting menu...

There's nothing there anymore, same with the rucksack. Has this happened to anyone else? I honestly don't see how it could possibly be tied to Ubisoft's servers just because that would be the dumbest thing in the world.

I just loaded the game, the uPlay client loaded fine. When I got into the actual game, it told me it couldn't connect to uPlay. I loaded my last save, and I was able to play until I hit the pause or map menu. The map appears blank, it shows I have zero money, and when I go back to the game it puts my character underground and I'm frozen.

WTF is going on.

I just loaded the game, the uPlay client loaded fine. When I got into the actual game, it told me it couldn't connect to uPlay. I loaded my last save, and I was able to play until I hit the pause or map menu. The map appears blank, it shows I have zero money, and when I go back to the game it puts my character underground and I'm frozen.

WTF is going on.

Yep, I got lodged under the map when I tried to change a graphics setting... Love that Uplay!

Dmax3901

Couple of questions:

1. Is there some kind of guide that runs through the different settings available and how taxing each one of them is? If there isn't, and someone feels up to it, I would pay you in love. Lots of love.

2. Did the latest patch 1.01 or whatever it's called, improve performance a lot or at all?

haikira

If i downloaded the game from steam, will it have automatically updated to 1.01?

I know how autopatching normally works with steam games, but with the Uplay launcher i wasn't sure if there's anything different going on here.

Sethos

Banned
If i downloaded the game from steam, will it have automatically updated to 1.01?

I know how autopatching normally works with steam games, but with the Uplay launcher i wasn't sure if there's anything different going on here.

Yes, believe the files off of Steam are 1.01 already.

Flyin J said:

WTF is going on.

Put UPlay into Offline mode (under the settings tab) and restart Uplay. It won't log into the server and you will have all of your inventory, skills, etc, back.

Ledsen

so I don't know if I'm missing something here, but I am unable to to see any difference between MSAA being off or set at 8.

There is also no FPS change while switching through MSAA options... weird...

Did I break something? Still seeing jaggies here :(
You have to quit to main menu when you change graphics options.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

WTF is going on.

Yep, I got lodged under the map when I tried to change a graphics setting... Love that Uplay!

Put uplay in offline mode. It won't interfere with your saves or anything. And after that leave it in offline mode. Uplay just plain sucks in general and is not needed when we have bloated digital distribution models as it is.

Kritz

Banned

jesus christ lol. STRENGHT

H2Yo

While a little off topic, I was wondering if you guys knew how link steam to uPlay, I can't work it out for the life of me. Their forums are shithouse so there are no answers there either.

Hell I don't even know how to merge my uPlay on 360 with the uPlay on PC even though they use the same account name and email address.
Kind of bullshit when I have about 500 uPlay points on 360.. but 50 on PC...

While a little off topic, I was wondering if you guys knew how link steam to uPlay, I can't work it out for the life of me. Their forums are shithouse so there are no answers there either.

Hell I don't even know how to merge my uPlay on 360 with the uPlay on PC even though they use the same account name and email address.
Kind of bullshit when I have about 500 uPlay points on 360.. but 50 on PC...

uPlay is such a weird thing. I bought my Far Cry key from another website and in order to get it to show up in the uPlay games menu I had to do some black magic voodoo shit.

After looking through the uPlay client and realising that you can't just simply copy and paste your key to activate games, I had to download the Ubisoft Download Manager for Far Cry 3. Yes, a separate download manager that appears to exist for the sole reason of downloading Far Cry 3.

That downloaded roughly 9GB of split .RAR files and an executable. It then automatically ran and started installing Far Cry 3 to a hidden temp folder somewhere in AppData. I then had to figure out which folder uPlay reads from when it detects games and had to just copy that entire install over to that folder for it to recognise it.

Then finally it had to install Far Cry 3 once more through uPlay for it to actually work and let me play it.

Zep

Banned
Someone send that to Ubisoft and see if they could make that a special edition Vaas for multiplayer.

KyleN

Banned
Did some CFG tweaking, managed to turn off DOF thanks to a friend. Not sure if i like it.

Also got rid of FXAA, looks much better now.

Edit: Now i get good fps with SMAA + Downsampling from 3200x1800.

H2Yo

So what's the deal with not being able to connect to uplay at the moment? Plays ok until I need to craft, going to the menu makes me fall through the world :p

Lach

was playing quite a while yesterday

i7 2600K
16gb RAM
gtx580

on ultra with no problems. I'm not someone who recognizes the difference between 30 and 60 fps though...

Did some CFG tweaking, managed to turn off DOF. Not sure if i like it.

Where do you put the SMAA files? I tried putting the DX9 and 10 version into where the Far Cry 3 folder was and I didn't know if it was working or not. Still saw some jaggies.

Did some CFG tweaking, managed to turn off DOF. Not sure if i like it.

Whoa would you mind sharing how exactly you did that with the CFG tweaking? :eek:

Top Bottom