• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica's canceled new IP has major concept art leak, 35+ images

meerak

Yeah, looks like something I'd cancel.

A few interesting ideas here and there but really didn't do anything for me top to bottom. Some rather bad / bland ideas about what looks cool, but all very natural for this type of brainstorming stage (which I assume this was at).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Like others have mentioned, the art is kind of all over the place. But those giant monster/alien designs are sick
I get the sense these were from across the development cycle, but what they landed on was like Destiny, but with sci-if fisher people vs sea monsters.

Concept art has a tendency to look amazing.

That being said, this concept art looks amazing. I'm a sucker for a good space opera. Id be interested to hear the pitch / see the design doc for this. Too bad, I wonder what killed it?

black070

I really like this one:

wSmaM96.jpg

Fezan

Wow this looks super interesting. This game had it all dinosaurs, zombie mosters unicorn kraken aliens fish people everything

Also if I remember correctly shinobi said that there was a trailer ready for e3. Wish we could see it

AndyD

aka andydumi
Huh, at first it looked like Mass Effect, then it veered into Avatar and finally into a Cthulu/Moby Dick type crossover. Very interesting concept.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Really fabulous and distinct style. Very compelling characters and some fucking wiiiiiild world building already in this concept art. Dude has serious talent...

Damn shame it'll never see the light of day ... :(

sense

Some of it looks good but yea looks like the game was all over the place and probably too grand and ambitious for Sony to continue funding. Would have needed destiny levels of investment and Sony probably didn't want to bet the farm on a new ip at that level after just smelling success with PS4 launch.

Floody

I wonder how old the art is, Sony had apparently spent a 100 million on it before cancelling, and as others have said it seems all over the place, so wonder if they ever focused in on some of it, before it got canned, because that's some really cool concepts.

Fergie

Banned
Always interested in mental sci-fi games, so a bit disappointed this didn't pan out. Looked intriguing.

Hopefully some trailers/videos leak.

Always like to see sci-fi games on the level of Deus Ex and Mass Effect.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
This doesn't look like anything that would interest me. And I was just wondering earlier this week what this game would have been like. Meh.

Wow looking at the concept art it's a damn shame this got canceled. There some major potential here. Loving all the focus on water / water creatures. Not near enough of that in games

Interesting world building but I can live without this, not really my style. Looks like Mass Effect crossed with HP Lovecraft.

kadotsu

Banned
This looks incredibly unfocused. You have fantasy, eldritch imagery, sci-fi, dinosaurs, post-apocalyptic imagery and militarism all in one. I can totally get why it was cancelled.

WAIT !!!!, Thought it was just MS who cancelled IP

Just think about how silly what you posted was....this was a project that was never officially announced, and was only found out because of a leak. Every company cancels projects before they come to fruition, due to not delivering, other issues. Compare that to Scalebound which was announced, and then a major showcase at multiple E3's....Now, do you think that is the same?

Seeing this shit response in these threads twice tonight is sad.

This looks so much more interesting than god of war 7.

No to me it doesn't.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm glad "What if we just made Mass Effect with dinos" lost out seemingly to "The Last of Us but with robot dinosaurs".

Flipyap

This looks incredibly unfocused. You have fantasy, eldritch imagery, sci-fi, dinosaurs, post-apocalyptic imagery and militarism all in one. I can totally get why it was cancelled.
That's basically Destiny's entire schtick, just replace dinosaurs with dragons.

Wow looking at the concept art it's a damn shame this got canceled. There some major potential here. Loving all the focus on water / water creatures. Not near enough of that in games

Yeah the water creature caught my eye as well. I'm all for a journey into an underwater world.

i-Lo

I guess it started to look too much like Horizon Zero Dawn which was perhaps already ahead production-wise. Overall, it looks like a mash-up of Destiny, ME, Far Cry 3 with Cthulu mythos.

Also that lady on the right has got Steve Buscemi eyes!

And Javier Bardem!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Artwork is nice, but I agree with some of the other people here. It looks like a dated, unfocused sci-fi concept that I've seen one too many times.

Lime

Personally this would've been a million times more interesting than God of War 4: Daddy Anger Issues

Diablos

Looks like a cross between Mass Effect and Destiny.

We'll never know what could have been but it's always sad to see someone spent a couple years of their life on a project that went nowhere.

Top Bottom